The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

a few cityscapes I took on holiday, really need to process some more shots but really have no drive too :cautious:

DSC00314-Pano by p mcallister, on Flickr

need to re look at the wonky building in this one :oops: :$ though shot at 1/15 handheld:cool:

DSC00248-Pano by p mcallister, on Flickr

DSC00329-Pano by p mcallister, on Flickr

the colours won't be for everyone, me including looking at it again, was trying a new preset

DSC00723-Pano by p mcallister, on Flickr

No1 is cool, very Futurama.

No1 is cool, very Futurama.

The modernisation and tech in Shanghai really puts us to shame in this country.

From there building designs and quickness of completion to there subway and in even small things like how they pay for everything via phones is a step ahead.

Most people pay and do everything via their phones, like book tables and even order the food before they arrive.

So I suppose it is a bit Futurama.

The modernisation and tech in Shanghai really puts us to shame in this country.

From there building designs and quickness of completion to there subway and in even small things like how they pay for everything via phones is a step ahead.

Most people pay and do everything via their phones, like book tables and even order the food before they arrive.

So I suppose it is a bit Futurama.

Some cultures have really embraced that kind of change - a colleague recently went to Hyderabad, and was really proud of the way her country was adopting the new technologies in the way you describe (she talked of ordering chai at 3am through an app and having it delivered in just a few minutes). But I suspect a lot is being lost in the rush to become more modern, and *hopefully* by taking things more cautiously we'll avoid some of the pitfalls as a society.

TBH it wears really thin after a bit, and makes me much less likely to 'talk' to you, Twist or Tommy so I don't have to deal with flying faeces. It's impossible to tell when you're all just enjoying yourselves and when you're ready to send the boys round.

I'll be interested if anyone is threatening to send the girls round. I just need time to make sure Mrs WW has gone shopping or something.

I'm obviously not doing enough to bring the tone down. I'll try harder and I'm sure you'll drop in to lend a hand :D

I've run out of people to argue with tbh, I think that's why I just slot in anywhere :p But I have seen less regular members state they were wary of the Sony thread. I can see it, all the upper end gear talk, lack of images, lack of support for the lower end budget friendly Sony gear etc - I'm loving seeing the images today tbh, refreshing. I never knew Sony owners actually used their gear! :O

I've run out of people to argue with tbh, I think that's why I just slot in anywhere :p But I have seen less regular members state they were wary of the Sony thread. I can see it, all the upper end gear talk, lack of images, lack of support for the lower end budget friendly Sony gear etc - I'm loving seeing the images today tbh, refreshing. I never knew Sony owners actually used their gear! :O

The thought never entered my head that this thread could intimidate anyone. Guess that's food for thought for the more frightening people who post here and anyway, on it's worst day this thread is peanuts compared to Mrs WW when she spots a bargain in town. That's a situation to be wary of. But, maybe a little more love, empathy and help from those who can offer it to those asking questions in this thread might be an idea...

1080p?? what is this? 2015? :p Stabilization looks really decent tbh, you needed to have it a bit more forward positioned on the helmet though, to give a full view. You need a muffler, or dead cat as you said, you can get tiny little stick on ones for these small vid-cams.
It should be in 4k mate :)

No different to the d750 thread bk in the day as it’s mainly the same people, that was always ending in bickering.

I seem to remember describing this particular sony thread as toxic a couple of years ago. It has been OK for a while but every now and then it has something about it that makes me want to stay away.

Anywho, Seems there's been some photos posted today, so that's good.

It should be in 4k mate :)

It is now! I was too early it seems :D

Jonney4k.jpg

Does look much sharper now Jonney, and I can see here that you had the cam too far back - showed too much of the helmet - but fair play, some good footage and a good tester of the camera. I also subbed :D

Last edited:
I seem to remember describing this particular sony thread as toxic a couple of years ago. It has been OK for a while but every now and then it has something about it that makes me want to stay away.

Let's be blunt, it's the elitism. I think people who are curious about Sony gear in general peek in, but then they see all the G-Master talk and slating of lesser/third party lenses and they run a mile. If they can't keep up with what seems to be the must haves, then they leg it to what they can better afford. I've felt this way, I know I will never own a G master zoom or prime, if I can ever muster up enough for an A7III [which I admit I would love] I would be using the cheapest [yet most decent] primes I could manage on top. But I might feel like I'm bumming it a bit ... instead i chose to duck out and go APSC because I'm experimenting like mad these days, can't commit to any one thing, but I can see how someone more dedicated and more budget conscious might be easily intimidated. I think it's a healthy thing this has been brought up, if it takes a little bitch fight to do so, so be it

I literally cannot wait to buy one just to run and bomb into the swimming pool.

Stabilisation looks incredible.
I didn't see any socks though Jonney??!

Why haven't you bought one of the million other go-pro or similar up till now then?

Just do what I do .... sit back and watch.
I’ve not had much time for anything recently as I am sorting out my man-cave / movie room. :)
Landed a great (well paid) permanent job beginning of April.

Consolidated my kit to lighten the load a bit this week and very happy with the outcome. Had a couple of MC-11s and Sigma Art 35, 50 and 85. Pretty weighty! Picked up a Tamron 28-75 2.8 for £600 and a Zeiss 55mm 1.8 for £490. I obviously lose a bit in speed but as a combo it's going to cover pretty much everything I do without too much trouble.

I've never been a zoom shooter so the Tamron will be interesting to get to grips with.

Consolidated my kit to lighten the load a bit this week and very happy with the outcome. Had a couple of MC-11s and Sigma Art 35, 50 and 85. Pretty weighty! Picked up a Tamron 28-75 2.8 for £600 and a Zeiss 55mm 1.8 for £490. I obviously lose a bit in speed but as a combo it's going to cover pretty much everything I do without too much trouble.

I've never been a zoom shooter so the Tamron will be interesting to get to grips with.

I often think that a standard range zoom and a fast prime will cover 99.9% of what I want but then I add a macro and a wide and an 85mm and the list of what I want gets longer :D I'll have a lot of admiration for anyone who can identify their needs and stick to them :D

I often think that a standard range zoom and a fast prime will cover 99.9% of what I want but then I add a macro and a wide and an 85mm and the list of what I want gets longer :D I'll have a lot of admiration for anyone who can identify their needs and stick to them :D

Its taken a while and a lot of buying and selling (which is fun anyway) but I get away with just a 35 Art. I also have a FE85 but Ive probably taken less than 100 shots with it.

Last edited:

I think it's a shame that people feel like this. I think "we" should remind ourselves that it's not the thread, it's the people in it. I know it's easy to get carried away on line and forget we're talking to real people so at least the last couple of pages have made that pretty clear. I don't remember a mod ever getting involved, so that's a good thing.

Group hug everyone :D

Let's be blunt, it's the elitism. I think people who are curious about Sony gear in general peek in, but then they see all the G-Master talk and slating of lesser/third party lenses and they run a mile. If they can't keep up with what seems to be the must haves, then they leg it to what they can better afford. I've felt this way, I know I will never own a G master zoom or prime, if I can ever muster up enough for an A7III [which I admit I would love] I would be using the cheapest [yet most decent] primes I could manage on top. But I might feel like I'm bumming it a bit ... instead i chose to duck out and go APSC because I'm experimenting like mad these days, can't commit to any one thing, but I can see how someone more dedicated and more budget conscious might be easily intimidated. I think it's a healthy thing this has been brought up, if it takes a little bitch fight to do so, so be it

I think the slating of some lenses has to be put in context. For example not all of us need blistering AF performance and Wilkinson Sword sharpness. Just good enough will d nicely :D and I'll be happy enough to leave those who need the last possible degree of performance to their G masters or Sigma Arts :D

Double post.

But as I can't delete it have a picture of the cheapest FF camera on sale and a council house prime and adapter.

OkmSM3K.jpg

Last edited:
Its taken a while and a lot of buying and selling (which is fun anyway) but I get away with just a 35 Art. I also have a FE85 but Ive probably taken less than 100 shots with it.

I have the 35mm f2.8, 55mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8. It's the 55mm that's getting squeezed out for me and I have thought of selling it but for the few times I use it it's worth it because it is IMO an outstanding lens even if it's 5mm too long :D

I bought the 85mm specifically for people shots so again, for the few times I use it it's worth it as it as at wide apertures it gives image quality that my film era 85's just can't match and also allows more natural shots when used with face detect.

I've not taken much more than 100 shots this year :(

I always think I have a need for lots of focal lengths and end up with too much gear for any system I've had. Money tied up in lenses isn't too bad though, it can always be released again without too much loss (If I'd kept all my Fuji lenses I could be selling them now at a profit)

At the moment my kit is as follows.

When I want to travel really light it's the Samyang 35mm and perhaps the sony 55mm

Bit of extra weight but better for people shots then I take the Sigma 35mm Art and the Sony 85mm f1.8

Rucksack for landscape trips with Sony 16-35 f4, Tamron 28-75, Sony 70-200 f4

I keep the cost down by buying film era lenses. The cost savings do go out the window a bit though when I end up buying 8 lenses at the same focal length. They're all very slightly different though.

Just do what I do .... sit back and watch.
I’ve not had much time for anything recently as I am sorting out my man-cave / movie room. :)
Landed a great (well paid) permanent job beginning of April.

Congratulations :D What you doing?

Mrs WW has been talking of getting a job, she had a very good job and was responsible for something like 200 people and she sometimes misses the buzz and looks back with her rose tinted on. I remember the good times but the bad times too with all the stress and hassle. I think on balance she's decided not to bother now :D I'd hate to have to go back to paid work.

Congratulations :D What you doing?

Mrs WW has been talking of getting a job, she had a very good job and was responsible for something like 200 people and she sometimes misses the buzz and looks back with her rose tinted on. I remember the good times but the bad times too with all the stress and hassle. I think on balance she's decided not to bother now :D I'd hate to have to go back to paid work.
His head of director for the Sony photo division.

Happy with my kit for 95% of a wedding day.

The other 5% I could do with something longer than 85 or wider than 25.

Thinking maybe the 18mm Batis. Would love the 135GM too, but that's definitely out of my budget for a little while, considering how little I actually *need* it.

Thinking maybe the 18mm Batis. Would love the 135GM too, but that's definitely out of my budget for a little while, considering how little I actually *need* it.

I'm in this boat, need an affordable fast lens longer than 85mm but it isn't happening! I was spoiled with the 90mm f2 on Fuji. I guess an MC-11 and Canon 135mm f2 is the most cost effective option.

Not sure I could get through a wedding without anything wider than 25mm.

We are often working in small areas especially for getting ready when something wider is always needed. Plus I like some wider shots to include with details, often can’t swing a cat in the rooms we have to use for photographing the dresses, shots of the ceremony room beforehand, shots from the back of the room during the ceremony and I also use a wide lens quite a lot for the first dance.

I just use a 16-35, it’s not a lens I love but couldn’t do without it really.

I would also like the 135mm GM but know it wouldn’t be used much so have resisted so far.

Last edited:
Not sure I could get through a wedding without anything wider than 25mm.

We are often working in small areas especially for getting ready when something wider is always needed. Plus I like some wider shots to include with details, often can’t swing a cat in the rooms we have to use for photographing the dresses, shots of the ceremony room beforehand, shots from the back of the room during the ceremony and I also use a wide lens quite a lot for the first dance.

I just use a 16-35, it’s not a lens I love but couldn’t do without it really.

I would also like the 135mm GM but know it wouldn’t be used much so have resisted so far.
We're pretty lucky in Norfolk, most venues have good sized rooms for prep, so it's not that often I need anything wider.

I had the 17-35 f2.8 on my Nikon kit but only used it below 20mm so I think the 18 might suit me fine, plus I like the digital read out for pre-focussing on the dancefloor :)

Back