The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I think the slating of some lenses has to be put in context. For example not all of us need blistering AF performance and Wilkinson Sword sharpness. Just good enough will d nicely :D and I'll be happy enough to leave those who need the last possible degree of performance to their G masters or Sigma Arts :D

This is the thing, I don't slate the people who buy every single lens that appears only to sell it on 5 minutes later :D They are the ones who keep the used market afloat and we get their hand me downs eventually - just as the cheap as chips lens market keeps the actual cameras themselves alive. Because if Sony were depending solely on the G master buyers to keep sales up they'd not be where they are. I bet there's way more people adapting their old Canon gear and buying Samyang lenses by a long ways.

Because my £40 knock off does what I need it to. Impressed by that stabilisation though.

You must have struck lucky, I bought one of the many £40 ones for our daughter for Christmas and it's awful, it's pretty much an ornament in her room now as her phone takes much better video.

Good to see some harmony in this thread :)

I can see why there is a view of elitism in Sony. Their lenses aren’t cheap but then no manufacturers mirrorless lenses are cheap either. I think the view is canon and Nikon had decades of lenses that fit their cameras giving a variety of cheaper options. Unfortunately Sony don’t have this back resource. With canons and Nikon’s new mirrorless offerings now here it’s clear they are changing mounts and it will mean their new lenses are expensive too. I definitely would think twice of buying any Nikon F mount or Canon EF mount lens new now knowing they are moving onto a different mount. I do think there are bargains to be had with adapted lenses to Sony. There is nothing wrong with that just as much as there is nothing wrong with GM lenses. I think the best thing is to work out what you really would use and stick to that. My move to Sony has made it clear to me I really only have a need for 2 lenses. They cover everything I need them to, just need to decide if I really need to keep the 70-200 f4 as it’s focal range is covered by the other lenses I have.

I think if we concentrated in here on photographic output more than the gear it would definitely help. I know we are in the gear section but still a little less gear talk would help. Let’s show what these fantastic cameras can do. There are some awesome talented photographers in here :)

This is the thing, I don't slate the people who buy every single lens that appears only to sell it on 5 minutes later :D They are the ones who keep the used market afloat and we get their hand me downs eventually - just as the cheap as chips lens market keeps the actual cameras themselves alive. Because if Sony were depending solely on the G master buyers to keep sales up they'd not be where they are. I bet there's way more people adapting their old Canon gear and buying Samyang lenses by a long ways.

That’s definitely true. I worked that out a while back that used bargains can be found for nearly new/ mint gear that it’s not worth buying new. That said I had to buy two lenses new as there wasn’t any second hand Sony examples about at the time. I seemed to have timed it right as both at the time were at their lowest price according to CPB. Nice to know I probably won’t lose much selling them on if I did. I’ve definitely not swapping and changing lenses around now I know exactly what works for me. Definitely happier carrying less gear around too :)

We're pretty lucky in Norfolk, most venues have good sized rooms for prep, so it's not that often I need anything wider.

I had the 17-35 f2.8 on my Nikon kit but only used it below 20mm so I think the 18 might suit me fine, plus I like the digital read out for pre-focussing on the dancefloor :)

Prep here is almost always done at the brides parents house so we have everything from big country manor houses too tiny terraced houses. At today’s wedding prep was in a one bedroom flat.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to get the popcorn ready, Canon ambassador Andy Rouse has just posted on Facebook he’s now shooting with the Olympus E1MX saying the Canon R is just not suited to him for wildlife stills. I’m guessing there will soon be a thread on TP, cue fanboy arguments and willy waving that overshadows this thread massively ;)

Last edited:
If anyone wants to get the popcorn ready, Canon ambassador Andy Rouse has just posted on Facebook he’s now shooting with the Olympus E1MX saying the Canon R is just not suited to him for wildlife stills. I’m guessing there will soon be a thread on TP, cue fanboy arguments and willy waving that overshadows this thread massively ;)

Doubtful, as I can't see many people caring tbh. I don't get these pro photographers having to make big announcements every time they make a switch or simply try out something different. I just switched from M43 back to Fuji and haven't so much as made a FB post about it :D Yeah, I know I'm not a known pro but, no matter who you are these decisions are a personal thing. It shouldn't affect anyone else in the slightest.

Doubtful, as I can't see many people caring tbh. I don't get these pro photographers having to make big announcements every time they make a switch or simply try out something different. I just switched from M43 back to Fuji and haven't so much as made a FB post about it :D Yeah, I know I'm not a known pro but, no matter who you are these decisions are a personal thing. It shouldn't affect anyone else in the slightest.
The wildlife photographer community is quite fickle, it’s quite surprising the brand loyalty that’s built up. It may surprise you how many start a conversation with you and the first question is about camera manufacturer (“so you’re using X manufacturer” or “weird to see you all using X manufacturer”), and nothing to do with wildlife or actual photography! You are right it shouldn’t matter but I think it’s the ambassador bit. People believe ambassadors ‘this is amazing’ blah blah yet feel betrayed when there off their off somewhere else saying exactly the same thing about something else and hash tagging manufacturers in. I guess it’s partly because people honestly think they are not being paid to say those things as an ambassador. If it’s an average joe who’s paid for their kit themselves it does feel different as no one really cares and rightly so. Some people can get quite loyal to a brand and get quite defensive about it too. I’m always surprised people get so loyal to manufacturers, I sometimes liken it to football supporters. It’s very weird, I’m guessing this didn’t happen as much in film days as you can put the same films into different cameras to get ‘the look’.

The wildlife photographer community is quite fickle, it’s quite surprising the brand loyalty that’s built up. It may surprise you how many start a conversation with you and the first question is about camera manufacturer (“so you’re using X manufacturer” or “weird to see you all using X manufacturer”), and nothing to do with wildlife or actual photography! You are right it shouldn’t matter but I think it’s the ambassador bit. People believe ambassadors ‘this is amazing’ blah blah yet feel betrayed when there off their off somewhere else saying exactly the same thing about something else and hash tagging manufacturers in. I guess it’s partly because people honestly think they are not being paid to say those things as an ambassador. If it’s an average joe who’s paid for their kit themselves it does feel different as no one really cares and rightly so. Some people can get quite loyal to a brand and get quite defensive about it too. I’m always surprised people get so loyal to manufacturers, I sometimes liken it to football supporters. It’s very weird, I’m guessing this didn’t happen as much in film days as you can put the same films into different cameras to get ‘the look’.

I guess if many of them fell into the Canon system because of guys like this they might feel a bit miffed about it. I wonder is he being paid by Olympus to switch or did he just decide himself? Seems a drastic move if he's completely switching? Or is he trying out the Olympus alongside his older gear?

MFT is good kit apart from those field sequential evf's.

That's only on the smaller RF style bodies though. The likes of the G9 or Em1 mkII have excellent evf. I believe the G9 has one of the best in ML overall. I thought the one on the G80 was pretty decent, not the best out there by any means but it was crystal clear with no weird banding or anything

Last edited:
I guess if many of them fell into the Canon system because of guys like this they might feel a bit miffed about it. I wonder is he being paid by Olympus to switch or did he just decide himself? Seems a drastic move if he's completely switching? Or is he trying out the Olympus alongside his older gear?

He’s quite open on the Facebook post about the what’s and why. It seems it’s because he feels mirrorless helps his creativity and the Canon R isn’t there yet for him. Sounds like he’s going to run dual canon and Olympus systems. Not sure how it leaves the ambassador situation. The whole ambassador setup is a weird situation if you ask me. I never think ‘ohh I must use X camera system to get those types of images as X uses them’. Same reason why George Clooney does swell me coffee either. I guess people feel a little miffed if they have spent thousands after being told one thing only for ambassadors to then go somewhere else being wax lyrical about the next thing.

Hopefully this link should work:

View: https://www.facebook.com/266511513752/posts/10156494952083753?s=634490777&sfns=mo

No surprise there really. Toby @snerkler loves his em1 mkii for wildlife

He’s quite open on the Facebook post about the what’s and why. It seems it’s because he feels mirrorless helps his creativity and the Canon R isn’t there yet for him. Sounds like he’s going to run dual canon and Olympus systems. Not sure how it leaves the ambassador situation. The whole ambassador setup is a weird situation if you ask me. I never think ‘ohh I must use X camera system to get those types of images as X uses them’. Same reason why George Clooney does swell me coffee either. I guess people feel a little miffed if they have spent thousands after being told one thing only for ambassadors to then go somewhere else being wax lyrical about the next thing.

Hopefully this link should work:

View: https://www.facebook.com/266511513752/posts/10156494952083753?s=634490777&sfns=mo

Seems to be all positive feedback with people commenting more on the images than about gear, which is how it should be :)

It should be noted that Amazons £135 saving isn’t entirely correct, the sale price is about £35 cheaper than other UK sellers. Still a good price but not as good as Amazon makes out.
So is it any good?

Well I’m glad someone does, I didn’t get on with it at all, probably the most pernickety sensor I’ve ever used. Not the worst sensor, in perfect conditions it was very good but in poor light, bright light or poor contrast it didn’t behave itself as I felt it should, maybe that’s just due to the sensor size or my ineptitude, what do I know? Lenses superb though, I still use the Mkii for macro.
/puts on steel helmet.......

I do, the weight saving is a blessing (y)
Well I’m glad someone does, I didn’t get on with it at all, probably the most pernickety sensor I’ve ever used. Not the worst sensor, in perfect conditions it was very good but in poor light, bright light or poor contrast it didn’t behave itself as I felt it should, maybe that’s just due to the sensor size or my ineptitude, what do I know? Lenses superb though, I still use the Mkii for macro.
/puts on steel helmet.......
TBH I've got some bird photos at 6400 ISO that still retains good feather detail and only need minor NR in post. It's clearly not as good as FF though and you have to make sure exposure is pretty much spot on, any PP changes to exposure at the higher ISO and the noise really does show.

Seems to be all positive feedback with people commenting more on the images than about gear, which is how it should be :)
There’s nothing bad on that link. He’s had a few comments, nothing major as he’s not left canon as such. It quite funny that some were expecting a new canon mirrorless camera as he was teasing for a few days prior saying exactly what it was he was using. Although he did drop a hint with a pic of a Olympus 300 f4 against a canon 600 f4 a few days.

Last edited:

They thought there was something off about him yet allowed him to handle an A7RIII and a very expensive lens to boot right by the door?? Also ... running down the street after a thief isn't the wisest, he could have a gun! [Ok, it's Canada not the States but still] - not worth getting injured for when you have CCTV footage, let the cops deal with it.

Also, isn't that the place where Chris Nicholls and Jordan Drake used to work?

Last edited:
That's only on the smaller RF style bodies though. The likes of the G9 or Em1 mkII have excellent evf. I believe the G9 has one of the best in ML overall. I thought the one on the G80 was pretty decent, not the best out there by any means but it was crystal clear with no weird banding or anything

Yup. The G7 I had had a lovely evf, it's such a shame that the GX80 and GX9 have evf's that are relatively poor by todays standards.

Last edited:
They thought there was something off about him yet allowed him to handle an A7RIII and a very expensive lens to boot right by the door?? Also ... running down the street after a thief isn't the wisest, he could have a gun! [Ok, it's Canada not the States but still] - not worth getting injured for when you have CCTV footage, let the cops deal with it.

Also, isn't that the place where Chris Nicholls and Jordan Drake used to work?

I was gonna reply with a story from when I worked in the local off license and chased a couple of boys that stole a bottle of Smirnoff each but I have had a few drinks and am well on my way to being p***ed now, so another time.

Prep here is almost always done at the brides parents house so we have everything from big country manor houses too tiny terraced houses. At today’s wedding prep was in a one bedroom flat.

Don’t tell me you shoot council house weddings??*

As far as I’m concerned, go GM or go home!*

/end of discussion

*obviously just joking[emoji4][emoji51]

I enjoy this thread, there’s a bit of everything - banter included. But I can see how some might get offended. I’ve encountered a couple of tits on this forum, and I’m not talking the mammary gland type either, but it doesn’t bother me. Life’s too short to get worked up over some idiot behind a keyboard.

This should be an open thread about ANYTHING Sony A7/A9 related for ANYONE. Let’s not detract from that.

Don’t tell me you shoot council house weddings??*

As far as I’m concerned, go GM or go home!*

/end of discussion

*obviously just joking[emoji4][emoji51]

I enjoy this thread, there’s a bit of everything - banter included. But I can see how some might get offended. I’ve encountered a couple of tits on this forum, and I’m not talking the mammary gland type either, but it doesn’t bother me. Life’s too short to get worked up over some idiot behind a keyboard.

This should be an open thread about ANYTHING Sony A7/A9 related for ANYONE. Let’s not detract from that.

I will shoot for whoever has the ££££’s.

Forgot we weren’t allowed to mention the sexy Gmasters any more ooh well.:cool:A8B8657C-7EFC-4781-8EF8-75E81CAF104F.jpeg

I will shoot for whoever has the ££££’s.

Forgot we weren’t allowed to mention the sexy Gmasters any more ooh well.:cool:View attachment 245538

Do you not use a plate bottom of camera for peek design?

Tried a z6 and z7 today. Very nice camera things fell in right places in hand etc. But ask myself will it produce a better picture. Nope

I'd say anything Sony related including the A6xxx stuff as plenty of us are interested, even people who don't own one :D and there's the non mirrorless Sony stuff, that should be welcome too. I also like the occasional non Sony stuff, not that it should take over the thread but as a bit of interest and light relief I quite like the odd stuff that crops up now and again... like action cams etc :D

I was gonna reply with a story from when I worked in the local off license and chased a couple of boys that stole a bottle of Smirnoff each but I have had a few drinks and am well on my way to being p***ed now, so another time.

Go for it, having some council house tinnies here meself, love a good yarn :D To be very honest, i would be inclined to chase them too, but I'm down south Ireland and they're very unlikely to have any weapons on them. In the States it's a different kettle, you could get shot or hurt easily - these guys were lucky he only had bear spray which in itself is painful ... You could end up being arrested or sued yourself if you happened to hurt the thief [if the dumbass fell while you were chasing them] because the laws are f'd up over there. They had CCTV, they must surely have a record of the serial numbers of the stolen gear too and insurance.

Tried a z6 and z7 today. Very nice camera things fell in right places in hand etc. But ask myself will it produce a better picture. Nope

Glad you've realised that :D

Na I don’t like the plate.

Go for it, having some council house tinnies here meself, love a good yarn :D To be very honest, i would be inclined to chase them too, but I'm down south Ireland and they're very unlikely to have any weapons on them. In the States it's a different kettle, you could get shot or hurt easily - these guys were lucky he only had bear spray which in itself is painful ... You could end up being arrested or sued yourself if you happened to hurt the thief [if the dumbass fell while you were chasing them] because the laws are f'd up over there. They had CCTV, they must surely have a record of the serial numbers of the stolen gear too and insurance.

We are having cocktails.

C0BC2BCF-557F-4117-AC03-59AEFC616649.jpeg

So you just use it as a standard strap rather than sling

Yes fella, although set to long for over the shoulder, cross body. Find that suits me best as I always have at least 2 bodies which means if I need a third I can use the other as a normal neck strap. That’s what works for me.

Back