The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Really useful info thanks @rob-nikon. I'm day tripping and I'm down there for 4 days, so if the weather is kind I'm hoping to get over at least twice. Staying would be amazing but everything appears to be fully booked from many months ago, it's not practical to plan that far ahead with my job but I figured day trips are better than nothing.

I never shoot more than 64GB on a wedding day (on each camera) so they'll do me for now.

Wish they'd sort the wake up time of the A7iii's, it makes a massive difference on battery life. Had one to 10 secs sleep and it had 64% left whereas the other one a minute (I can't remember actually) had 22% left. But then the wake up time is hideous.

I always shoot more than a 64gb card on the camera that has the 35mm welded to it, at a recent wedding I wasn’t far off filling a 128gb card.

Could prob get away with 64gb cards on the cameras that we have the 55mm and the 85mm on but the camera with the 24mm will sometimes do more than one 64gb card.

I have no idea what mine are set too. I always have enough juice to get me past the speeches and always drop a new battery in each camera before we go back to work after dinner.

Last edited:
I always shoot more than a 64gb card on the camera that has the 35mm welded to it, at a recent wedding I wasn’t far off filling a 128gb card.

Could prob get away with 64gb cards on the cameras that we have the 55mm and the 85mm on but the camera with the 24mm will sometimes do more than one 64gb card.

I have no idea what mine are set too. I always have enough juice to get me past the speeches and always drop a new battery in each camera before we go back to work after dinner.

You must be doing 2-3k shots to nearly fill a 128gb card?

I think this will be my new plan, order a few new batteries as I can’t stand the rubbish wake up time

I normally use 128G cards, as I tend to get between 64-128G in a day in at least one of the camera….will probably be under it if I swap the 35/85 lenses over half way but i play it safe so that I don't have to swap cards.

You must be doing 2-3k shots to nearly fill a 128gb card?

I think this will be my new plan, order a few new batteries as I can’t stand the rubbish wake up time

Yep as time has went on I find myself using the 35mm a lot more, near enough for everything. I could prob do a full wedding with nothing else to be honest.

For that wedding that I nearly shot out a 128gb card I only had 150 shots on the other camera with the 85mm.

I have 16 batteries so 4 batteries for each camera. Means I can do a double header without having to charge anything up or go straight to a commercial job the day after a wedding without having to charge up. Was worth it for me saves me a lot of time and late nights staying up late to have everything ready for the next morning.

Last edited:
Really useful info thanks @rob-nikon. I'm day tripping and I'm down there for 4 days, so if the weather is kind I'm hoping to get over at least twice. Staying would be amazing but everything appears to be fully booked from many months ago, it's not practical to plan that far ahead with my job but I figured day trips are better than nothing.
Overnight stays get booked up in a couple of weeks when booking opens at the start October each year. You have you book a date and hope the weather is good and boats running for the stay you book. It’s definitely a gamble. Usually a two night stay turned into 4 days with travel there and back because of the boat times so I can understand the getting time of work bit.

If you are doing day trips I would get up early and be in the queue by at least 7am each morning you plan to go. Day tickets for the boats can sell out pretty fast as there are only 250 per day. There are people queuing way before the ticket office opens and it’s a pain if there is a pre booked school group taking up a whole boat too (that happened on one of my day trips- they took up the whole of the 2nd boat and see to remember it meant it would be touch and go whether everyone queuing got tickets). Note one person can buy more than one ticket so boats can sell quite fast even if the queue isn’t huge.

Usually if it’s good weather there will be more demand but sometimes even in wet weather there can be 250 ‘nutters’ waiting for the boats (the words of the visitor officer when I discussed likely day trip numbers on a wet trip off Skomer on one of our stays). If the weather is cloudy it could still be worth a trip. The light could be easier for exposing the black and white Puffins. The Wick faces south-west so the sun is in a difficult position for quite a lot of the day.

FB160917-449B-4301-BA39-582A3D63EE62.jpeg

There is a Skomer boats twitter account that says if boats are running or not. That’s useful info to keep an eye on whilst you are away. Hope you have a good time.

Last edited:
I am quoting Nikon and their report, their VERY OWN WORDS, hence the quote. Are you asking me whether Nikon is being serious in their press release? In their own words?

No, what you have done is misunderstood what 'extraordinary costs' means in financial statements. For a second time, it does not (and did not) mean that their losses were extraordinarily high.

No, what you have done is misunderstood what 'extraordinary costs' means in financial statements. For a second time, it does not (and did not) mean that their losses were extraordinarily high.

Do you often quote and continue a conversation from like 2 weeks ago?

p.s. it did not say extraordinary cost, it stated extraordinary loss. Did you just try to twist it round in order to fit into your argument?

It even states that on their own press release on the title.

https://www.nikon.com/news/2017/20170213_1_e.pdf

Loss and Cost mean very different thing the last time I checked.

Regardless of how ordinary its losses were, it still totalled to $263million. That isn't exactly small change. So I can't see how you read it as a positive when it says loss + it was $260million. Unless they ordinarily lose $260 billion and it is extraordinary to lose just $260million? lol

Last edited:

p.s. it did not say extraordinary cost, it stated extraordinary loss. Did you just try to twist it round in order to fit into your argument?

Loss and Cost mean very different thing the last time of checked.

Regardless of how ordinary its losses were, it still totalled to $263million. That isn't exactly small change.

Some people just have too much time on their hands Raymond. Tyre kickers of the internet

Maybe it's more a case of people only coming here now and again. Not everyone can come here every day.

Unless they ordinarily lose $260 billion and it is extraordinary to lose just $260million? lol

I'll check down the back of the sofa.

If you're waiting to buy a lens/camera, wait a few days longer...

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/fr...omputers-tablets-sound-vision-at-ebay-3234114

The last few electonics offers haven’t included camera equipment, it’s been a while actually. Every single seller on the list will whack there prices up just before the voucher goes live.

It’s a pity really when they first started doing these there was some good deals to be had, never seems to be the case anymore.

They need to bring back the site wide offers.

Last edited:
Snap from tonight at Lough Fea, Northern Ireland.
Sony A73 with Sony 16-35 f4 …
30 sec exposure on water (10 stop ND filter) and blended with normal exposure for sky. F7.1, ISO 100.

Lough Jetty by CFC Photo, on Flickr

"Excellent" shot, nothing more to be said.

George.

Testing out my new Zeiss 35. Very impressed with it so far, although I think the Sigma 35 Art is maybe a tad sharper. I prefer the colour and bokeh on the Zeiss, but not much in it. Just goes to show what good value the Sigma is.

Daisy by Preets, on Flickr

I bought both when I switched to Sony as I couldn’t decide and 35mm is a really important focal length for me. I preferred the Sigma so sent the Zeiss back. There wasn’t a lot in but the Sigma Art’s have different rendering which I preferred. To be fair I was used to the Sigma as I had it in Nikon mount for some time so that may have swayed me that way.

I bought both when I switched to Sony as I couldn’t decide and 35mm is a really important focal length for me. I preferred the Sigma so sent the Zeiss back. There wasn’t a lot in but the Sigma Art’s have different rendering which I preferred. To be fair I was used to the Sigma as I had it in Nikon mount for some time so that may have swayed me that way.

I was very happy with the Sigma and wouldn't say the Zeiss is an upgrade. Just different. If someone already has the Sigma, there's little point getting the Zeiss unless you're a GAS head like me.

The last few electonics offers haven’t included camera equipment, it’s been a while actually. Every single seller on the list will whack there prices up just before the voucher goes live.

It’s a pity really when they first started doing these there was some good deals to be had, never seems to be the case anymore.

They need to bring back the site wide offers.

I don't think every electronics retailer will whack 15% on their prices. I picked up an A7iii with this offer and the price didn't increase.

I don't think every electronics retailer will whack 15% on their prices. I picked up an A7iii with this offer and the price didn't increase.

They usually do with these voucher offers have a look at the comments on previous eBay voucher offers on hukd. Don't suppose they bother on more expensive items as the max discount is only £60.

Last edited:
Anywayyyyyy.

Anyone backing the new Peak Design Travel Tripod?
I had an email about it and had a look at their site. To be honest I don’t see how it’s better than many of the travel tripods currently on the market. Yes it’s legs are shaped for the legs to close up closer but overall closed length is in line with others on the market. Weight is roughly the same too. I don’t like the head, looks like it’s fixed to the centre column without much option to swap or change. I don’t like the leg locks either, i personally prefer twist legs as I find they very easy to use.

A few months back I picked up a Gitzo GT100T which is a 100 year anniversary edition of their travel tripod. Initially it was being sold at a ridiculous price (£1245) but I picked one up for £500 when there was a sale on. At the time that was cheaper than the equivalent none anniversary edition. I much prefer stumping up the extra for Gitzos years of known quality over a new design that’s of unknown quality. I know the kick starter would work out to be around £380 for the carbon fibre edition (the non Kickstarter price will be £475) but that’s still quite a bit to stump up for a brand bringing out their first tripod. I reckon the gitzo tripod will out last me as it’s very well built.

Last edited:
They usually do with these voucher offers have a look at the comments on previous eBay voucher offers on hukd. Don't suppose they bother on more expensive items as the max discount is only £60.

Yeah but that’s for selected sellers so there’s usually less than 40 sellers and you’re right most do. This is sitewide across those categories so you’ll save on anything, even private sales.

And £60 is £60 at the end of the day

Snap from tonight at Lough Fea, Northern Ireland.
Sony A73 with Sony 16-35 f4 …
30 sec exposure on water (10 stop ND filter) and blended with normal exposure for sky. F7.1, ISO 100.

Lough Jetty by CFC Photo, on Flickr

Lovely. I sometimes do this as water usually looks nice & smooth but you can't always guarantee the sky movement!!

Anywayyyyyy.

Anyone backing the new Peak Design Travel Tripod?

I thought it looked pretty good in all honesty. Caught it on Peter Mckinnon's YT channel. Still out of what I'm willing to pay though for another tripod :)

*cough cough*

Just put up a wanted ad for a godox or similar cheapie flash if anyone has one they don't use.

Snap from tonight. Lough Fea, Northern Ireland

Sony A73 and 16-35 f4 with 10 stop ND filter.

F11, 30 seconds, ISO 250.

Lough Fea by CFC Photo, on Flickr
Very nice. Out of interest which 10 stopper are you using for these? It's something I've been wanting to try but been a bit put off by the variable quality of the filters...

Loss and Cost mean very different thing the last time I checked.

Regardless of how ordinary its losses were, it still totalled to $263million. That isn't exactly small change. So I can't see how you read it as a positive when it says loss + it was $260million. Unless they ordinarily lose $260 billion and it is extraordinary to lose just $260million? lol

It’s a misunderstanding of the word extraordinary.

It’s used in accounting to define a usually one-off loss that doesn’t occur from operation activities. Something like an earthquake, or a fire.

It’ll be absorbed and as it’s not usually a repeatable loss isn’t considered a risk to the business going forward.

Have ordered a Sony 16-35mm f4 using the 15% off Ebay code that went live this morning.

£729 after the code from e-infinity.

Annoyingly they put their price up by £14 on Ebay this week. And it's only a £40 saving compared to their website but still a saving!

Back