The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Anyone tried the Sigma 40mm f1.4 ART ?

I saw an A6300 body in a shop today (I gather the A6300 is similar in size & layout to the A6400). It wasn’t as small as I thought it would be though a small rig L bracket will help just like on the A7R3. A few buttons missing but probably manageable. The viewfinder position is quite good for a right eye photographer. I would guess it would be more of a pain for a left eyed photographer. Overall it seems a nice little camera.

Anyone any experience with the Samyang 50 f1.4 AF?

Considering a fast 50 for night-time use on holiday.
So far Samyang 50 f1.4, Sigma 50 f1.4 ART, Sony 55 f1.8 and possibly the Sony 50 f1.8.
Love the idea of f1.4, but also love the size of the 55mm.
The price of the Samyang and the speed seem ideal. Reviews suggest AF is its weak link.

Last edited:

So far Samyang 50 f1.4, Sigma 50 f1.4 ART, Sony 55 f1.8 and possibly the Sony 50 f1.8.
The price of the Samyang and the speed seem ideal. Reviews suggest AF is its weak link.

AF is the weak link and its the worst of samyang lenses in general (optically and for AF).
I'd go with FE55.

Samyang renders the bokeh better than any other 50mm for e mount.

Pre firmware update, the af is inconsistent though. I'm not sure if it's been improved through fw updates.

I had one and really liked the image quality for both detail and bokeh - very much regretted selling, and will be sourcing another quite soon I hope. Eye-AF worked OK, but in continuous mode it tended to hunt a little and was relatively noisy, though no louder that a screw-drive lens. It's also a big 'ol lump for a 50, so if size & weight are an issue you should look elsewhere.

We spent two days over there for my birthday in March. This was my favourite waterfall closely followed by Henrhyd - the rest, I wasn't that impressed with. But, we did have a LOT of water flowing through so that might have made a difference.

Nice shot :)

I left the hotel (in Pembroke) at 5.30am to get there at 7am. I'd heard it gets pretty busy so wanted it as quiet as possible. I saw two couples in 3 hours, and had each of the 4 falls entirely to myself. Fab morning.

AF is the weak link and its the worst of samyang lenses in general (optically and for AF).
I'd go with FE55.

Does seem like the best for size/performance, most expensive of the options though.

Samyang renders the bokeh better than any other 50mm for e mount.

Pre firmware update, the af is inconsistent though. I'm not sure if it's been improved through fw updates.

I had one and really liked the image quality for both detail and bokeh - very much regretted selling, and will be sourcing another quite soon I hope. Eye-AF worked OK, but in continuous mode it tended to hunt a little and was relatively noisy, though no louder that a screw-drive lens. It's also a big 'ol lump for a 50, so if size & weight are an issue you should look elsewhere.

Size of the Samyang is fine with me, looks identical size to my 24-70 f4. The Sigma in comparison is huge, but seems better optically.
So i think i have at least got it down to the Samyang vs the Sony 55.

Price wise, its £369 for the Samyang and £549 for the Sony 55.

Last edited:
I saw an A6300 body in a shop today (I gather the A6300 is similar in size & layout to the A6400). It wasn’t as small as I thought it would be though a small rig L bracket will help just like on the A7R3. A few buttons missing but probably manageable. The viewfinder position is quite good for a right eye photographer. I would guess it would be more of a pain for a left eyed photographer. Overall it seems a nice little camera.

I love my a6300!!
I tend to use it more than my a7rii these days.
Coupled with my 16-70 f4, it produces really good IQ
Some people complain that this lens is fairly soft in the corners but that is something I haven't experienced.

Price wise, its £369 for the Samyang and £549 for the Sony 55.

The 55mm is simply excellent. It isn't 50mm which could always niggle at you and it's f1.8 not f1.4 but for what it is, a 55mm f1.8, it is probably amongst the best 50-ish mm lenses ever made. I hardly ever use mine now but I just can't bring myself to sell it for the couple of times a year I use it.

I have an a6300 alongside my a7iii, fantastic little camera. I've found myself using the 55m 1.8 on it quite a bit as I really like the focal length (basically 85mm) for walkaround sometimes.

I know there is a £80 cashback at the moment.

Quidco now gives cashback on Amazon (2% on electronics)...so that makes it £36 cashback + £80 = £116 off, total price £764 for UK stock.

I don't mind grey generally, except eventually I want to get into Sony Pro Support so will need more UK gear.

Just buy one.

Don't know why this lens doesn't get more of a mention, it is absolutely superb. It is the best macro lens around this focal length from any manufacturer.

I left the hotel (in Pembroke) at 5.30am to get there at 7am. I'd heard it gets pretty busy so wanted it as quiet as possible. I saw two couples in 3 hours, and had each of the 4 falls entirely to myself. Fab morning.

One reason we purposely went over during the week ;) I see/hear that on the weekend it is crazy!!

I'll be keeping the Sigma 150-600 for a year or so, but can see that 200-600 in my future ;)

600mm not really for football photography. its too long.

As you know i have been photographing football this past season and have learned a lot from it.

400mm is enough to cover the action from one half thats near you, You are never gunna cover a whole game on your own. the pros have multiple photographers in a game covering each half.

f4 maybe too slow for me when the lights go out, my 100-400 f5.6 was so slow that i stopped using it and reverted to my 24-70 f2.8 shooting stuff in the touchline/bench

JackWalpoleCupFinalA7r3_pt1-906.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

JackWalpoleCupFinalA7r3_pt1-802.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

The above pics already shot at high iso on only 1/500 f2.8

i typically shoot at 1/1000 for action

600mm not really for football photography. its too long.

As you know i have been photographing football this past season and have learned a lot from it.

400mm is enough to cover the action from one half thats near you, You are never gunna cover a whole game on your own. the pros have multiple photographers in a game covering each half.

f4 maybe too slow for me when the lights go out, my 100-400 f5.6 was so slow that i stopped using it and reverted to my 24-70 f2.8 shooting stuff in the touchline/bench

JackWalpoleCupFinalA7r3_pt1-906.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

JackWalpoleCupFinalA7r3_pt1-802.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

The above pics already shot at high iso on only 1/500 f2.8

i typically shoot at 1/1000 for action

Heart set on the f2.8?

I have watched the other videos only price mention was expected to be $2000.
I think I saw BH photographic saying near $2000 so probably the same in pounds especially at our poor exchange rate. I quite like its an internal zoom but that means its going to be a big lump to cart around. I’ve quite liked the smaller size of the 100-400. I would prefer not to have an external zoom but having had a nikon 200-400 previously I quite like the smaller form it gives. It’s quite nice that I can fit the 100-400 attached to he camera in my f stop guru bag in a small ICU. Previously I needed th XL ICU and 50L bag to get the 200-400 attached to a camera in.

Back