The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Fine portrait- excellent pose, lighting, & composition IMO.

It is but mostly I do like to see the face sharp and one eye seems to be drifting out of the depth here. No doubt that it's a lovely picture but personally I like the head in the depth. It's just me :D

picked up a Sony RX1RII :banana:

Sigma ART 35 will be up for sale soon if it all works well

Great stuff.

I hope you're going to post a long impressions review and lovely pictures too :D

I've always fancied one of these.

This article has the Sony press release:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/48422...0mm-f5-6-6-3-g-oss-and-600mm-f4-gm-oss-lenses

Personally I don’t understand the fascination with using teleconverters on a f5.6-f8 lens. With a 1.4 TC it would be 840mm at f9 and 2x TC would be 1200mm at f13. Supposedly with outstanding image quality and AF performance. Thats a lot of light lost reducing shutter speed. I would like to see real world use as I don’t believe it until I see it having used teleconverters myself for several years. There is a reason why they are still producing £10-12k f2.8 and f4 lenses. Teleconverter compatibility just seems to be the new marketing angle it must have to make it sell.

I wonder if Sony have sensors in development that have a significant boost in ISO capabilities - if you consider the increase in 'acceptable' ISO over the last 10 years, if they think that in 2-3 years sensors will have another 2+ stops before noise is a problem, then designing lenses now (that will be around for a lot longer than 2-3 years) which can take advantage of that ISO range when combined with a TC makes sense - particularly for the longer lenses where you can't simply use an 800mm instead.

Nick Dungan (who used to be quite active on here) has a 600mm f4 loaner from Sony for the Le Man's 24hr this weekend, will be interesting to see the results from it.

Nick Dungan (who used to be quite active on here) has a 600mm f4 loaner from Sony for the Le Man's 24hr this weekend, will be interesting to see the results from it.
Bound to be epic, but at £12k it should be ;)
I do seriously wonder what it'll do better....
Recently tried A9 and tracking is phenomenal.
Faster mechanical frame rate and global shutter would be the two big things. Other than that I'm not sure, maybe they'll add more megapixels ;) I've no doubt AF will be improved even further but tbh we are reaching a point where AF is more than good enough for everything and 'm not convinced that AF improvements can enhance a camera much now. I'm sure when the A9-II comes out they'll be people that all of a sudden think the A9's AF is sub par :rolleyes: :LOL:

Faster mechanical frame rate and global shutter would be the two big things. Other than that I'm not sure, maybe they'll add more megapixels ;) I've no doubt AF will be improved even further but tbh we are reaching a point where AF is more than good enough for everything and 'm not convinced that AF improvements can enhance a camera much now. I'm sure when the A9-II comes out they'll be people that all of a sudden think the A9's AF is sub par :rolleyes: :LOL:

Would any one care about having a faster mechanical shutter if they somehow manage add silent global shutter to this thing?

I imagine they'll slightly improve the AF especially animal tracking (eyeAF) side, add new 5.6 million dot EVF, may be increase the FPS a little, increase the base dynamic range, dual UHS-II card or XQD and call it a day.
I don't think we'll see global shutter but if it does happen I truly believe that is a real game changer and might just cripple or topple the giants in sports photography. Also Nikon Z will eventually get it too if Sony has it.

I do seriously wonder what it'll do better....
Recently tried A9 and tracking is phenomenal.

Better dynamic range, the evf from the Panasonic S1R, quicker af from switch on to compete with the pro dslrs, less evf lag and possibly a jump in resolution would be my guess. The A9 isn’t perfect there are loads of improvements they could make. Don’t imagine it will get much quicker although I would expect a.f improvements based on what they have said about the new 600mm.

Ok.. so why does sony not allow us to use 1/200 shutter speed (1/160 isn't an option too i don't think)... whyyy?

eh?

You can deffo use 1/200, dunno about 1/160 but maybe...

I mostly use aperture and shutter priority, are you using something that's stopping these speeds?

ps.
Yup... 1/160 works too.

Last edited:
Has anyone in here shot motorsport at Croft? Thinking of going to qualifying day on Saturday (BTCC & Support series)

Would any one care about having a faster mechanical shutter if they somehow manage add silent global shutter to this thing?

I imagine they'll slightly improve the AF especially animal tracking (eyeAF) side, add new 5.6 million dot EVF, may be increase the FPS a little, increase the base dynamic range, dual UHS-II card or XQD and call it a day.
I don't think we'll see global shutter but if it does happen I truly believe that is a real game changer and might just cripple or topple the giants in sports photography. Also Nikon Z will eventually get it too if Sony has it.
Well the reason I mentioned faster frame rate with mechanical shutter is that I very much doubt it will have a global shutter (y)

eh?

You can deffo use 1/200, dunno about 1/160 but maybe...

I mostly use aperture and shutter priority, are you using something that's stopping these speeds?

ps.
Yup... 1/160 works too.
Ah is this an auto iso min shutter thing. Don’t have the 1/160 or 1/200 as min shutter options

I’m sure Nikon let us have these options

he Panasonic S1R, quicker af from switch on to compete with the pro dslrs, less evf lag and possibly a jump in resolution would be my guess. The A9 isn’t perfect there are loads of improvements they could make. Don’t imagine it will get much quicker although I would expect a.f improvements based on what they have said about the new 600mm.
+ anti flickr

Ah is this an auto iso min shutter thing. Don’t have the 1/160 or 1/200 as min shutter options

Nikon allows you to select 1/4000 to 30s as the min shutter in A and P modes when using auto ISO. I’m pretty sure you can select 1/3 stop increments but will check when I next use mine, if I remember ;)

When using ISO AUTO Min. SS on Sony it looks like you can only select full stop increments from 30 sec to 1/8000 i.e. 30 sec, 15 sec, 8 sec, 4 sec, 2 sec, 1 sec, 0.5 sec, 1/4, 1/8, 1/15, 1/30, 1/60, 1/125, 1/250, 1/500, 1/1000, 1/2000, 1/4000, 1/8000 rather than being able to select in 1/3 or 1/2 increments too.

I've not used auto iso with minimum SS before. It looks like the auto iso with minimum SS will keep the shutter speed at the minimum value and adjust iso until it reaches its maximum setting then start dropping the shutter speed below the minimum shutter speed value. I'm guessing shutter speed will only rise above the minimum SS value if the minimum iso value is reached.

Yes the Auto ISO minimum shutter speed thing is a minor annoyance. Fuji (and I'm sure Nikon) allow any shutter speed to be specified, with Sony it's a much more restrictive range.

For wedding photography I always found 1/160 or 1/200 perfect as a 'set it and forget' minimum to balance keeping the ISO down and ensuring sharp shots when people move etc. I appreciate it's only a minor difference but having to pick 1/125 or 1/250 is an internal battle I've not figured out yet!

It's probably the only thing I'd change on the a7iii,

Hi Ant,

I know Croft very well, living only 15 minutes or so from the circuit. Superb circuit for photography IMHO. It will be busy even on Saturday, but unlikely to be so busy it’s difficult to get good shots. Focal length wise, you can use anything from 24mm upwards depending on how creative you want to get, but 100mm to 300mm from the spectator side will give you a lot of angles and options. The chicane, Complex and Sunny Out are great locations with low fences. Clervaux and Hawthorn also offer great angles, but if you want to be at the same level of the cars you’ll have to shoot through a Jurassic Park type fence which can be tricky on a Sunny day or if you don’t have a longer focal length lens.

Some examples from my Flickr (not shot on Sony gear so hopefully ok to post the links here)

https://flickr.com/photos/60309810@N08/sets/72157664947557808

https://flickr.com/photos/60309810@N08/sets/72157667638201263

I’ll be there Saturday and Sunday, but it will be very much family time this year for me - my 7 year old is motorsport (and BTCC in particular) mad :)

Cheers,

Simon.

Last edited:
Let us know when you sell your A9, I am sure it'll be in pristine condition :D

How do people keep their cameras and gear in such pristine condition. So far i have sent two items to Wex for trade and they have phoned me to say they need to revise the price for the worst, i look after my gear but it gets used and shows signs of use both times i said they were Light Use and both times they tried to tell me they were the lowest one because the lens had a scratch on the zoom ring where you could see silver and the camera body had smooth grips you know because you were holding it and wore the rubber stuff out a bit.
They offered me so little for both when i upgrade they will probably get stored away to collect dust.

How do people own a camera and lens for 4 years or so and still have it in as new condition?

By keeping it in a display cabinet :D

I guess you missed the running joke on this thread about @Riz_Guru
No i know the joke. Just reminded me of my experience trying to trade a couple of things in. They must get a lot of mint stuff back. How many people buy and barely use there stuff.
I might end up selling the A7R on here, but decided to keep the 24-70 f4.

Yes the Auto ISO minimum shutter speed thing is a minor annoyance. Fuji (and I'm sure Nikon) allow any shutter speed to be specified, with Sony it's a much more restrictive range.

It's probably the only thing I'd change on the a7iii,
To be fair to Sony everyone moans about their menus so they have likely restricted the options to full stops because the list would be 2 or 3 times if it used 1-2 and 1/3 increments. But we aren’t happy because we don’t have all the options available! Auto ISO uses full stops too for the minimum and maximum setting points.

Isn’t there a setting somewhere in there where you can set the camera to full stops, 1/2 stops or 1/3 stops for aperture/shutter speed in the settings? It’s a shame is doesn’t use that user setting.

No i know the joke. Just reminded me of my experience trying to trade a couple of things in. They must get a lot of mint stuff back. How many people buy and barely use there stuff.
I might end up selling the A7R on here, but decided to keep the 24-70 f4.

Well I imagine there are a number of people with gas (inc. me) and some of them probably cba selling for a little more. They are probably also the people who can't wait for items in the used market and buy new gear by trading in their "old" gear.

Those folks certainly have more money than me but I just buy used and sell them to feed my GAS. I break even for the most part or lose out a little which I just treat as my "rent" for using the gear.

On the whole I wouldn't trade to a shop normally but I have done in the past when the difference is £20-50 to the price I paid for the peace of mind and hassle free trade. I try to sell here first though to pass on the savings.

How do people keep their cameras and gear in such pristine condition. So far i have sent two items to Wex for trade and they have phoned me to say they need to revise the price for the worst, i look after my gear but it gets used and shows signs of use both times i said they were Light Use and both times they tried to tell me they were the lowest one because the lens had a scratch on the zoom ring where you could see silver and the camera body had smooth grips you know because you were holding it and wore the rubber stuff out a bit.
They offered me so little for both when i upgrade they will probably get stored away to collect dust.

How do people own a camera and lens for 4 years or so and still have it in as new condition?
Part of WEXs problem is they have their own idea of their condition scale whilst everyone else is trying to interpret there kits likely condition from the WEX condition scale. The problem is one persons lightly used differs to another’s. I’ve bought used items privately before that have been described as ‘good condition’ where one looked like it was brand new out of the box and the other was clearly well used and had a squealing AF motor that would likely fail soon.

I’ve had the opposite with WEX, I sent something in and they paid me more than I was expecting as they felt it was better condition than I said it was. They can go up and down which is good to know as I’m always worried stores are more likely to go down and never go up if you underestimate it’s condition.

To be fair to Sony everyone moans about their menus so they have likely restricted the options to full stops because the list would be 2 or 3 times if it used 1-2 and 1/3 increments. But we aren’t happy because we don’t have all the options available! Auto ISO uses full stops too for the minimum and maximum setting points.

Isn’t there a setting somewhere in there where you can set the camera to full stops, 1/2 stops or 1/3 stops for aperture/shutter speed in the settings? It’s a shame is doesn’t use that user setting.

It's an interesting debate and goes down to how people use cameras. I seldom use 1/2 or 1/3rd stops for aperture and ISO. I work at full shot points for these (exception being ISO 640 which is where the dual gain kicks in on Sony).
For shutter speeds I definitely work in 1/3rd stops which is why Fuji's or my LX100 retro dial system irks me. Conversely I prefer aperture rings to dials I would have to use on Sony bodies. I know exactly how much to turn it by how many clicks to next stop and works out really well for me.

Back