The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Sure fire way to annoy the guests. You really don’t need to act like this at a wedding, especially if you’re the “pro photographer”.

I couldn't give a crap tbh, because I'm not a pro ... can't stand weddings tbh :D

10 things photographers should have but maybe don't...

https://fstoppers.com/education/ten-things-which-most-photographers-dont-have-probably-should-382029

I'm not really interested in grey cards or reflectors but reading this did make me think that a few things on the list and in the comments are worth thinking about, like a basic first aid kit for example.

I've never been hurt whilst out with a camera but walking in Eston Hills in snow years ago I had a little scare when I fell into a snow filled dip which was pretty much invisible and until I collected my thoughts, worked out which way was up and climbed out I was a bit worried as this was in the days before I had a mobile phone and if I had hurt myself I had no way of contacting anyone. It was only then that I started to think that wandering about by myself miles from the nearest house in bad conditions might not be really smart.

So my list of things to take with me apart from a camera and a lens and a spare battery :D now includes a mobile phone. I also try to remember to take some money including some coins, a pen and paper, a plastic bag and some tissues.

Anyone got any less than obvious things to take?

It all depends where I’m off to. If I’m off out in the hills/fella of the Lake District then camera gear plus normal walking equipment (maps, compass, first aid kit, emergency thermal blanket, storm shelter etc) all go into the bag. If I’m off down the local park or minutes away from the car those bits aren’t needed or already in the car (first aid kit in always in there).

For camera kit I usually also carry separate camera & backpack rain covers, rocket blower/lens wipes, spare battery and protective lens filter (I need to put one on). I don’t need much more kit than that whilst out.

Interesting article as I am planning to upgrade soon, and am interested in the eye/animal eye AF of the Sony, being influenced by being given an old A200 with broken mode dial (stuck on M) and brought a couple of Minolta Dynax lenses for a few quid, and for an old camera, can give quite good results

So it now makes it possible to use Canon glass on Nikon. Canon ef to Sony E mount (via mc11) to Nikon z mount. Possibly the most convoluted AF system going. Wonder how long till the tests appear on you tube of this set up

I give it 2 weeks.

A few comments about the Sony 90mm macro used for the snaps above which were taken during lunch at work.
It is a super duper lens no doubt, but I still never really enjoy using it.

I'm not keen on any people photos I've taken with it, so don't anymore; and used for close up(never mind true macro) I cannot hand hold it and get excellent results.
I get results I like but would be considered imperfect and never be published, like the dreamy white flowers, the out of focus centre of the yellow flower, the off-centred red admiral lacking depth of field which sat still in the sun for an age.
Heigh-ho.

A few comments about the Sony 90mm macro used for the snaps above which were taken during lunch at work.

I'm not keen on any people photos I've taken with it, so don't anymore; and used for close up(never mind true macro) I cannot hand hold it and get excellent results.
I get results I like but would be considered imperfect and never be published, like the dreamy white flowers, the out of focus centre of the yellow flower, the off-centred red admiral lacking depth of field which sat still in the sun for an age.
Heigh-ho.

any particular reason you are finding it difficult to handhold?
is it the size/weight? balance? body?

Heigh-ho.

Have you used other macro lenses?

I have had a few, Sigma 105, Tamron 90mm, Nikon 105mm.

The Sony 90mm is the best I have used.

I don't use it for portraits because I have an 85mm f/1.4 G.M, my missus would sometimes use it though and it gives pretty great results although doesnlt have the character of the G.M. It also focuses reasonable quickly which no other macro lens does.

In terms of macro work, I use it at every wedding for details and can't fault it all. I don't know how much experience you have of Macro but from what you have said above there isn't an issue with the lens, the issue you are having is more to do with technique and to get the result you want you would really need to look at focus stacking.

On the images you posted above the first one doesn't look right because you have blown the highlights because you didn't expose properly that isn't an issue with the lens. On the second and fourth image I don't know what your settings where but it looks like you haven't chosen a small enough aperture.

Last edited:
I think that one of the things with macro and close up shooting in general is that you have to remember that the camera to subject distance is (probably) going to be reduced and the depth of field is therefore (probably) going to be thin.

Sometimes the temptation is to choose a wider aperture to get that shallow DoF background look but the reduced camera to subject distance could well give you an out of the depth background with a smaller aperture because the DoF is reduced because the camera to subject distance is reduced.

I am starting to get frustrated with the build quality of my A7iii.

This happened today just walking round the zoo. Think it's just the strap rubbing and as it's been a bit warm today (but only 21 degrees) it has caused the paint to rub off:

FZSUx7r.jpg

This happened about 4 weeks ago. Camera wasnt dropped or anything. I was out for the day and then took the camera out of my bag and the screen had a chip out of it and 2 cracks. Thankfully the chip doesnt really impact where you use the screen.

JTOQwWn.jpg

It's just very annoying and frustrating that a £2,000 camera doesnt seem to have the build quality it should do. I've had several Canon cameras over the past 10 years or so and never once had similar issues. Yet have had my A7iii for just over a year and doesnt seem to have anywhere near the same build quality.

I suppose the amount of tech that you get for the price comes at a cost elsewhere.

It's a peak design strap by the way. So I suppose the other option is that it's a design flaw of the strap but to me seems to be the camera build isn't up to scratch

Last edited:
Weird, I hiked around Hong Kong in rain and heat for a week with my camera hanging off me 14 hours a day and it looked no different to the day I arrived, several months and a bunch of weddings later and it still looks pretty mint. No better or worse than any Fuji or Nikon I've owned in the past.

What sort of strap is it? I can't see any camera coming out undamaged if it's been rubbed as much as it appears to have.

Last edited:

This happened today just walking round the zoo. Think it's just the strap rubbing and as it's been a bit warm today (but only 21 degrees) it has caused the paint to rub off:

FZSUx7r.jpg

This happened about 4 weeks ago. Camera wasnt dropped or anything. I was out for the day and then took the camera out of my bag and the screen had a chip out of it and 2 cracks. Thankfully the chip doesnt really impact where you use the screen.

JTOQwWn.jpg

It's just very annoying and frustrating that a £2,000 camera doesnt seem to have the build quality it should do. I've had several Canon cameras over the past 10 years or so and never once had similar issues. Yet have had my A7iii for just over a year and doesnt seem to have anywhere near the same build quality.

I suppose the amount of tech that you get for the price comes at a cost elsewhere.

It's a peak design strap by the way. So I suppose the other option is that it's a design flaw of the strap but to me seems to be the camera build isn't up to scratch

There is no way that that damage was caused by you just walking around a zoo with the camera on a strap. It has had something scraped along it that was very abrasive. What is more likely is that at some point during your zoo trip you have knocked into something or someone carrying something has knocked into you and you haven't noticed. It looks like someone has rubbed a bit of sandpaper on it.

I use peak design straps on all 4 of my A7III's and haven't had any similar issues.

The "damage" to the screen from your photo looks more like damage to the screen protector than than the actual lcd itself. If it is just the oem screen protector they ship with you can easily remove and replace it.

For what its worth my cameras have seen a lot of work and you would be hard pressed to find the difference between a new one.

You mentioned Canon above a friend of mine has a couple of 5dmkIV and 5dmkIII's, they haven't seen as much use as my original A7III, she is a lot more careful than I am with equipment yet while mine still looks as new her camera's all show considerable rub marks on each corner which is very common with Canon bodies.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, not as if some slight cosmetic damages effect images.

Last edited:
I have no idea how a strap would etch a mark like that in one day :O but the chip appears to be on the screen protector, on Sony cameras they put one on by default don't they? You can peel that off if you're careful and replace it.

[edit] Tommy just beat me to it, but I agree it looks more like damage to the protector

here's how to fix it: [forward to about 2:30]

Last edited:

FZSUx7r.jpg

JTOQwWn.jpg

Bro my 5d3 was worse and u should have seen the state of the bottom of it. Paint rubs off easy on the canons I had

No particular reason to dislike the 90mm ergonomically. Its not heavy or overly big, balance is fine for me. Reflecting, it would be perfect for wedding details, architectural details, commercial food, but not for flowers in the breeze.

On a positive, I truly love the bokeh. Still I prefer the loxia for portraits, and know when I attach any loxia it'll be a pleasing to use whatever the results.

I've owned a 50macro, a 135 and used my friends Nikons including his 105's (he's got a good eye and trained technique btw). Only enjoyed using the 135 Olympus, thinking about it, at a time when we would go shooting architecture a lot. There's the answer maybe, I need to use this lens more appropriately, to appreciate it, and connect with it.

Of all the snaps I took, and for all the 'faults', I liked the arty/overexposed first one best. Beezes notwithstanding, think I'll have another go next week. Take also my 85mm loxia and 100 trioplan next week, and ... even my tripod

Thanks for helping me consider, it is useful and encouraging.

There is no way that that damage was caused by you just walking around a zoo with the camera on a strap. It has had something scraped along it that was very abrasive. What is more likely is that at some point during your zoo trip you have knocked into something or someone carrying something has knocked into you and you haven't noticed. It looks like someone has rubbed a bit of sandpaper on it.

Its the side of the camera that is next to me, so if it had knocked into anything it would have been the other side of the camera that would have been knocked and then it would have somehow had to rub against me. Unfortunately its exactly where the peak design strap could possibly rub.

The "damage" to the screen from your photo looks more like damage to the screen protector than than the actual lcd itself. If it is just the oem screen protector they ship with you can easily remove and replace it.

Its definitely the screen. Has quite a significant chip in it. It does have a screen protector on it (I also put one on it myself) but you can tell its definitely the screen that's chipped. That bit of the screen isn't even used though. There are two scratches which go slightly across the corner which is used, but hardly noticeable. Again it looks like these are through the screen as well. I'm not sure exactly how this happened. We were watching monster trucks at Cardiff stadium at the time. All I know is it wasn't like that earlier - I'd taken some photos but the camera back in my bag and then when I got it out again (and I had been in my seat the whole time between), it then had a chip in the screen. I can onlythink that the peak design strap had been against the screen (as its that exact place) and it caused the chip on the screen when I put the bag on the floor.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, not as if some slight cosmetic damages effect images.

I'm not too worried, but as I say its frustrating. More than anything if I wanted to upgrade in the future, it will naturally now have reduced the sale value.

Its also frustrating given my previous experience with Canon which have always been as new after several years, whereas my first experience of Sony suggests the quality control of the build quality is seriously lacking. Until around 4 weeks ago my camera looked as new, but now looks like its been through the wars but hasn't!!!

Its the side of the camera that is next to me, so if it had knocked into anything it would have been the other side of the camera that would have been knocked and then it would have somehow had to rub against me. Unfortunately its exactly where the peak design strap could possibly rub.

That is not typical wear: it appears the aluminium has actually abraded away below the paint (see how the texture of the metal changes between the edge & centre of the section that's been ground away) and there are even scratches in the aluminium that follow the wear line. It looks like the camera body has been rubbed against a bicycle tyre.

FWIW my A7III seems much better finished than the D610 I had - that felt more like my entry level Sony A58 in terms of build quality and quality of materials.

Its definitely the screen. Has quite a significant chip in it. It does have a screen protector on it (I also put one on it myself) but you can tell its definitely the screen that's chipped. That bit of the screen isn't even used though.

Doesn't look like it tbh, looks like the outer protector and the one underneath are cracked. I would remove both to check the actual LCD because if that is actually cracked then it must have got a right bang.

I use peak design straps on all 4 of my A7III's and haven't had any similar issues.

For what its worth my cameras have seen a lot of work and you would be hard pressed to find the difference between a new one.

You mentioned Canon above a friend of mine has a couple of 5dmkIV and 5dmkIII's, they haven't seen as much use as my original A7III, she is a lot more careful than I am with equipment yet while mine still looks as new her camera's all show considerable rub marks on each corner which is very common with Canon bodies.

Have just double checked the screen and thought it was worth a go seeing if it was just the screen protector. As I said it definitely looked like the screen but when I've taken it off then you are correct! Screen now looks like new!

Thanks for the tip, much appreciated.

Now the paint rub is still a mystery on why it's happened so easily ...

Someone's had a go at that with an angle grinder, or at the very least a Dremel :jawdrop:
I wish they had in a way.

It's either caused by rubbing against a peak design connector or against my body that has caused it. I've had the camera on me all day and it's the side that's next to my body so cant see how it's been caused by anyone accidentally knocking into me and would be the wrong side.

I wish they had in a way.

It's either caused by rubbing against a peak design connector or against my body that has caused it. I've had the camera on me all day and it's the side that's next to my body so cant see how it's been caused by anyone accidentally knocking into me and would be the wrong side.

My comment seems a little flippant sorry. I feel for you, I know alloys used for camera bodies tread a fine line between strength and weight but I'm very disappointed to see such a gouge out of the metal.

Have just double checked the screen and thought it was worth a go seeing if it was just the screen protector. As I said it definitely looked like the screen but when I've taken it off then you are correct! Screen now looks like new!

Thanks for the tip, much appreciated.

Now the paint rub is still a mystery on why it's happened so easily ...

Happy days the screen would have annoyed me more than the mark on the side of the camera body. Would also have made it a bit less weather resistant too.

Last edited:
This is something I picked up on when browsing used Sony bodies, many of them have that worn LCD look and prices are often dropped because of it. But in most cases you can peel it off and the LCD is like new.

FZSUx7r.jpg

JTOQwWn.jpg

That’s not caused by the strap....no way. The strap is at the top and gravity dictate that it will go upwards, the opposite direction of where that mark is. That is more like the camera caught on your belt.

As for the chip in the corner of the screen protector, that’s not Sony, it’s the manufacturer of the screen protector (granted the issue of the screen peeling still persists)

Ps I have 2x A7III and have 2 kinds of Peak Design straps and don’t have any of those marks through weddings and travelling.

I do have a very similar chip on the screen protector though.

Back