The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

It's been a long time since I participated in this thread, eventually picked the camera back up yesterday.

I now have the dilema of swapping my Sony 100-400GM for the new Sony 200-600, I'm not too sure what to do.

Anyway, here's one from yesterday...

Sony A7R3
Canon 400mm ƒ/2.8
ƒ/4.0
560.0 mm
1/200
ISO 800

(Huge crop)

Kingfisher... by Matt Smith, on Flickr

I kept reducing the shutter speed to try and capture the rain drops.

It's been a long time since I participated in this thread, eventually picked the camera back up yesterday.

I now have the dilema of swapping my Sony 100-400GM for the new Sony 200-600, I'm not too sure what to do.

Anyway, here's one from yesterday...

Sony A7R3
Canon 400mm ƒ/2.8
ƒ/4.0
560.0 mm
1/200
ISO 800

(Huge crop)

Kingfisher... by Matt Smith, on Flickr

I kept reducing the shutter speed to try and capture the rain drops.
Lovely image.
I had the 200-600 on order from Wex but cancelled the order last week after a great deal of deliberation. I could not have justified keeping both my existing 100-400GM and the new lens even though they not identical in capability. The thought of losing probably more than £1000 on my 100-400 in one year was a principal factor particularly when the current reviews of the 200-600 seem to indicate marginal differences in IQ.
The 200-600 has many features that make handling easier than the 100-400 but there are other issues such as weight and size that mitigate in favour of the 100-400. I’ll keep my powder dry until the new lens arrives and has been thoroughly tested by other Sony users on this and other forums whose opinions I value.

Last edited:
I seen the other new Sigma lenses had a projected release date, any word on when the 35 is coming? Already decided ill be having one asap lol

Impressed with the 85mm at Goodwood on Friday, been trying to get to grips with panning and the Sony didn't have much trouble at all, actually chunked through my memory cards!!

Goodwood FoS by Daniel Paul, on Flickr

Very nice competent panning shot, liking this one very much.

George.

It does feel like a bit of a step into the unknown as although there are plenty of tests out there for various Canon lenses there are lots of variables (a7 body, MC-11., Metabones, firmware etc) and people have varying demands and requirements. The good thing with Canon L glass is that it’s plentiful, so buying used at a good price means you can sell it on if needs be with little to no penalty, hopefully less than renting for a few days.

The 135mm f2 is doing everything I need of it, it very occasionally requires a prod in the right direction to find a lock, but once it’s in the general vicinity it’s been pretty much faultless. I’ve also used the 50mm 1.2 on an a7RII a fair bit and that was superb (much better than when I used it on a 6D!)

I’m looking at adding a 17-40mm and 200mm 2.8 next. Both would be quite niche use for me but compared to anything remotely equivalent are very, very affordable.

theres a 200mm f2.8 in the classifieds. at a very reasonable price. ive had an eye on it myself.

Interesting that it only list for E mount and L mount and not Canon or Nikon.

I read that its been developed for mirrorless rather than DSLR to Mirrorless like the others - possible Canon RF / Nikon Z mount later?
In saying that based on size you'd think it wouldn't be too hard to make a NIkon F or Canon EF version..

Last edited:
Ah. Thought so. I ordered mine on line and it doesn't say where I am in the queue.

I'd like to take it to Singapore but as we go on 1st August there's no chance.

Interesting that it only list for E mount and L mount and not Canon or Nikon.

Sigma already make lenses for E-Mount, so have some knowledge of the lens protocols, etc.
I don't know if Canon and / or Nikon have allowed other to access details of their mirrorless mounts, or is it down to the likes of Sigma reverse engineering them?
If they haven't, then as Sigma and Tamron start to bring out more native lenses for E-Mount the argument for using Sony mirrorless is just going to get stronger.

Sigma already make lenses for E-Mount, so have some knowledge of the lens protocols, etc.
I don't know if Canon and / or Nikon have allowed other to access details of their mirrorless mounts, or is it down to the likes of Sigma reverse engineering them?
If they haven't, then as Sigma and Tamron start to bring out more native lenses for E-Mount the argument for using Sony mirrorless is just going to get stronger.

canon and nikon are not open like Sony. But in case of canon I believe the protocol is roughly the same or almost exactly the same as the EF mount protocols which sigma already know about anyway. Nikon Z that's not the case which makes it harder.

I think nikon should have jumped on the e-mount bandwangon which would made things better for both sony and nikon (like m43 manufacturers)

50mm 1.4 + photoshop - kind of reminds me how olympus 4/3'rds raws looked

66742535_10162282482640227_391858913277902848_o.jpg

I weakened and ordered the 35mm f1.8 from them.

How do you know where you are on the list?

Cool :) I'm sitting out for now. Going to see what happens with the price ;) I'm sure by looking at it and the cost of it reviews are going to be pretty good.

A 35mm version of the 85/1.8 is what I always wanted Sony to do.

For those pre-ordering the new Sony 35mm f/1.8 use code SONY-L10 for 10% discount at Park Cameras.

For those pre-ordering any of the new Sigma lenses use code SIGMA-L10 for 10% discount at Park Cameras.

Haven’t tried but it’s on an email they just sent.
Really tempting!!!

For those pre-ordering the new Sony 35mm f/1.8 use code SONY-L10 for 10% discount at Park Cameras.

For those pre-ordering any of the new Sigma lenses use code SIGMA-L10 for 10% discount at Park Cameras.

Haven’t tried but it’s on an email they just sent.
Works for FE35 but not for 200-600 :(

Back