The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

For those pre-ordering the new Sony 35mm f/1.8 use code SONY-L10 for 10% discount at Park Cameras.

For those pre-ordering any of the new Sigma lenses use code SIGMA-L10 for 10% discount at Park Cameras.

Haven’t tried but it’s on an email they just sent.

Niceone Tommy, thanks for that. If wex dont match I'll get it from them. Does it have an expiry ?

You getting one? Must say when I seen it's near the weight of the 85 Art I had second thoughts

Niceone Tommy, thanks for that. If wex dont match I'll get it from them. Does it have an expiry ?

You getting one? Must say when I seen it's near the weight of the 85 Art I had second thoughts

Didn’t see an expiry on the email, they might have one listed on their website. Hovered over buying it a few times today. The extra weight is really putting me off and I am very happy with the f/1.4, but then bokeh. :love:

Plus even I have a limit for how much I can spend on gear :LOL: and I already have a 200-600 on pre order. To get this I would probably have to cancel the 200-600 or dip into the cash have set aside for the A9II.

The Sony announcement is on the 17th so will prob hang off to see if one of the new cameras announced is the A9II. If it isn’t I will prob dip into my A9II fund.

In saying that could always end up coming home from the bonfire tonight or the parades tomorrow smashed too bits and buying it just for the giggles.

Last edited:
Didn’t see an expiry on the email, they might have one listed on their website. Hovered over buying it a few times today. The extra weight is really putting me off and I am very happy with the f/1.4, but then bokeh. :love:

Plus even I have a limit for how much I can spend on gear :LOL: and I already have a 200-600 on pre order. To get this I would probably have to cancel the 200-600 or dip into the cash have set aside for the A9II.

The Sony announcement is on the 17th so will prob hang off to see if one of the new cameras announced is the A9II. If it isn’t I will prob dip into my A9II fund.

In saying that could always end up coming home from the bonfire tonight or the parades tomorrow smashed too bits and buying it just for the giggles.

LOL I'll be in the field tomorrow myself man

Yeah I can remember the back pain the 85 art gave me lol

50mm 1.4 + photoshop - kind of reminds me how olympus 4/3'rds raws looked

66742535_10162282482640227_391858913277902848_o.jpg

Must've been something seriously wrong with your Olympus then, I had the old em5 mk1 and the RAW files were nice and cripsy from it, wasn't too shabby in low light either.

For those pre-ordering the new Sony 35mm f/1.8 use code SONY-L10 for 10% discount at Park Cameras.

For those pre-ordering any of the new Sigma lenses use code SIGMA-L10 for 10% discount at Park Cameras.

Haven’t tried but it’s on an email they just sent.

Thanks. I've just emailed wex to ask if they'll match this.

Must've been something seriously wrong with your Olympus then, I had the old em5 mk1 and the RAW files were nice and cripsy from it, wasn't too shabby in low light either.

Em1 and when pixel peeping had a funny pattern to it, reminded me of when you ramp up noise reduction. It’s been a while sold it within a week

Em1 and when pixel peeping had a funny pattern to it, reminded me of when you ramp up noise reduction. It’s been a while sold it within a week

Might have been something amiss, not seen that issue reported by anyone with that camera on here. And there's a fair few. But if it wasn't for you ..

Above ISO 800 the older m43 bodies weren't great tbh.
But this is also a subjective matter. There are now a number of pretty nice noise reduction software I know of. these do an amazing job. So I'd probably work with another stop more these days than back then.

Last edited:
But this is also a subjective matter. There are now a number of pretty nice noise reduction software I know of. these do an amazing job. So I'd probably work with another stop more these days than back then.
I just use lr to adjust noise. Something better?

I just use lr to adjust noise. Something better?
LR is the worst one of the lot, it loses too much details mostly because it's rather dumb. LR sharpening tool it quite good though.
For NR I suggest things like noise ninja or topaz denoise AI.

No reply to me yet so I cancelled and placed the order with Park as I didn't want to wait and potentially lose the discount.

No reply to me yet so I cancelled and placed the order with Park as I didn't want to wait and potentially lose the discount.

Should have just rang them dude. They agreed straight away with me

I'm looking after someone so phone calls are a bit more of a hassle, emails and web pages I can just do while quietly sat here.

I found the old Oly files easier to clean up in post than the ones from the Panasonic G80 - and I used that without worry up to 3200

LR is the worst one of the lot, it loses too much details mostly because it's rather dumb. LR sharpening tool it quite good though.
For NR I suggest things like noise ninja or topaz denoise AI.

It's not, people just do it wrong. You don't need to be near as aggressive with the sliders in LR but yet I see people do it all the time. Also, use masking when sharpening before applying any NR. You should never need additional programs.

The Elite versions of DXO used to be substantially better than LR at removing bad noise, though I've not needed serious noise reduction since moving to FF.

The Elite versions of DXO used to be substantially better than LR at removing bad noise, though I've not needed serious noise reduction since moving to FF.

I gave that a trial one time and found it was softening more than LR. Using adjustment brushes in LR is better I find. And believe me, I really do wish there was something cheaper and much better - and even if LR isn't the best at NR it's the best software overall I feel. I have add ons like Dfine, I also have other software like Cap One, but I never feel like I need them after a LR workout

It's not, people just do it wrong. You don't need to be near as aggressive with the sliders in LR but yet I see people do it all the time. Also, use masking when sharpening before applying any NR. You should never need additional programs.

Suit yourself but I don't think I need a lesson in LR and noise reduction.
LR has many advantages and I like it for that but noise reduction is definitely not one of them. I have got better results from various other packages or softwares in terms of noise reduction and retaining details in the main subject.

Last edited:
Suit yourself but I don't think I need a lesson in LR and noise reduction.
LR has many advantages and I like it for that but noise reduction is definitely not one of them. I have got better results from various other packages or softwares in terms of noise reduction and retaining details in the main subject.

who's giving lessons? sign me up!

What I posted was more a tip, since you find it so bad - it works perfectly fine for many others. Know that when I say 'you' I mean anyone reading, not you personally, I don't care if you take it on board or not

I find I'm using my Sigma 150-600c way more than I thought I would and really enjoying it. I use it handheld and have decided to treat myself to a strap. It's not a hugely heavy lens/body combo but would want to mount one or both ends of the strap to the lens foot. My immediate thought is the Peak Design Slide, or maybe even the Slide Lite. Are there other similar/better options at around this price?

Thanks in advance for any advice, not used a strap before really, and don't wanna take any chances.

I find I'm using my Sigma 150-600c way more than I thought I would and really enjoying it. I use it handheld and have decided to treat myself to a strap. It's not a hugely heavy lens/body combo but would want to mount one or both ends of the strap to the lens foot. My immediate thought is the Peak Design Slide, or maybe even the Slide Lite. Are there other similar/better options at around this price?

Thanks in advance for any advice, not used a strap before really, and don't wanna take any chances.
I've just bought the Peak Design Slide to use with my 100-400. Although it's about 500gm lighter than your lens it's the best solution I've found. One end fixed to the lens foot and the other to the body. It's very stable and doesn't swing about having 2 attachment points.

I've just bought the Peak Design Slide to use with my 100-400. Although it's about 500gm lighter than your lens it's the best solution I've found. One end fixed to the lens foot and the other to the body. It's very stable and doesn't swing about having 2 attachment points.

Thanks, did you just attach the little plate that comes with it to the lens foot?

Thanks, did you just attach the little plate that comes with it to the lens foot?
It's work in progress. At the moment I've removed the actual lens foot and screwed the strap directly on to the collar using the PD plate you describe. I've heard stories that the plate can break but at the moment that's all they are, just stories.
I still want the ability to use a monopod with a Arca Swiss head or tripod with an Arca Swiss gimbal type like my FlexShooter so I'm getting a 60mm plate that has a loop attachment so I'll screw the plate directly to the lens collar and attach the strap to the plate. This gives me the ability to quickly switch to support if I want to.
48265485817_2ff04772a8_n.jpg

Been a few years since I owned a a 150-600 but at that time I used one of the black rapids. I think it clipped right onto a plate attached to the foot of the tripod collar

I gave that a trial one time and found it was softening more than LR. Using adjustment brushes in LR is better I find. And believe me, I really do wish there was something cheaper and much better - and even if LR isn't the best at NR it's the best software overall I feel. I have add ons like Dfine, I also have other software like Cap One, but I never feel like I need them after a LR workout

It may be camera-dependant, but the elite noise reduction does an astonishing - if time consuming - job on Nikon files.

It may be camera-dependant, but the elite noise reduction does an astonishing - if time consuming - job on Nikon files.

Could well be the case, as the grain is very different between formats and sensors. M43 for example, though noise shows up a lot sooner, is a very fine sandy grain that I found cleaned up easier than say, Fuji's noise at higher ISO.

Setting it up that way does it stress the lens/camera mount? If there is a lens foot I’ve always connected everything to that rather than to the lens and camera.

When I used to use similar sized/weight Nikon lenses I used to use a BR strap with an Acura Swiss clamp to attach it to the lens plate. I found it to work well though some probably wouldn’t be too happy trusting a clamp in between the strap and lens/camera.

I’m off to Duxford tomorrow for flying legends. Im still deciding whether to take a camera or not. If I do I may take the BR strap and the PD slide strap I have to see how I get on with each of them.

Last edited:
Setting it up that way does it stress the lens/camera mount? If there is a lens foot I’ve always connected everything to that rather than to the lens and camera.

When I used to use similar sized/weight Nikon lenses I used to use a BR strap with an Acura Swiss clamp to attach it to the lens plate. I found it to work well though some probably wouldn’t be too happy trusting a clamp in between the strap and lens/camera.

I’m off to Duxford tomorrow for flying legends. Im still deciding whether to take a camera or not. If I do I may take the BR strap and the PD slide strap I have to see how I get on with each of them.
I feel that by having two anchor points there is a more even distribution of stress across the whole system. Sony make quite a thing about the increased number of screws on the lens mounts of their bodies to cope with the weight of the heavier lenses. I used the PD Slide last weekend at Shuttleworth air show and it was very comfortable, I’ll be doing the same tomorrow at RNAS Yeovilton. Enjoy Duxford.

I feel that by having two anchor points there is a more even distribution of stress across the whole system. Sony make quite a thing about the increased number of screws on the lens mounts of their bodies to cope with the weight of the heavier lenses. I used the PD Slide last weekend at Shuttleworth air show and it was very comfortable, I’ll be doing the same tomorrow at RNAS Yeovilton. Enjoy Duxford.
There isn’t much info in the manuals about it which I think is one of the issues. Nikon used today support the heavier lens and not to a heavy lens off the camera. Sony seems to say suppport both the camera and lens and don’t say much else. I guess they aren’t going to provide info for third party accessories that aren’t direct replacements for their accessories as it could make them liable if there are problems.

I’ve just read up about the previous mount issue. It sounds like they added 2 extra screws to the camera mount to pacify everyone that’s improved. Strangely the 100-400 still only has 4 screws on its mount so I guess there wasn’t a problem with lens mounts.

Envoy Yeovilton. The Apache fire background photos always look good there.

I'll be going to Sony Event at Goodwood Race Course tomorrow to try out the new Sony 200-600mm. I hope they have 600mm F4 there for demo as it didn't mention in LCE website. So if any of you lot are there as well, say Hi.

Meanwhile, Sony A9 + Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 II

View attachment 249728

brilliant shot!
I will be at Goodwood too tomorrow :)

Back