The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The rumour site has just updated saying that one of the new cameras that will be launched today is the A7R IV.
I was about to pull the trigger on a A7RIII, so will be interesting to see if it is worth the extra and/or what it does to used prices. Either way, hanging fire for a few weeks seems sensible!

the current cameras are so far ahead of the competition i don't know why they even need to release anything for now (other than an a7s update)

I don't know as obviously I have an early coal powered Sony but reading the other threads on this and some other places there are those who claim that the Canikons are ahead of the Sonys in some areas. Do people here who've tried them think this is true?

I don't know as obviously I have an early coal powered Sony but reading the other threads on this and some other places there are those who claim that the Canikons are ahead of the Sonys in some areas. Do people here who've tried them think this is true?
As I said above ergonomics and EVF.

The EVF on my A7III felt like watching 240p videos on youtube after trying my friends new X-T3 EVF :ROFLMAO:

My a7iv wishlist is:
A9-like silent shooting
Better screen and evf while maintaining battery life
More C buttons (or maybe a c dial as leaked on this new camera)
Faster boot up/wake
Seconds on the clock

Bonuses would be better battery life and AF. Menu touchscreen.

My a7iv wishlist is:
A9-like silent shooting
Faster boot up/wake
Seconds on the clock

That is pretty much my wish list along with changing the focus point colour.

Isn't it weird that I don't think too much spending £1500 on a lens but I can't bring myself spending £800 on a new TV...

I know the feeling well, the missus just stitched me up for a new sofa. Absolutely raging. :mad:

Yet I am probably gonna buy the 135mm GM this week and have the 200-600 on pre order without batting an eyelid.

Last edited:
Reselling value not available with TV :LOL:

I bought my last 2 TV used....first one a 42" Plasma for £100 from a friend when he upgraded.
Current one is a 50" Plasma for £300 from another friend who sold everything to go travelling, this was 4 years go, he had that TV for about a year or 2 years already by this point. So in the last 10 years I've spent £400 on 2 TVs....

I spent more than that for Flashes in the past month.

Last edited:
I know the feeling well, the missus just stitched me up for a new sofa. Absolutely raging. :mad:

Yet I am probably gonna buy the 135mm GM this week and have the 200-600 on pre order without batting an eyelid.

Thing is that my TV isn't even 4k...I would like a 4k TV. The Plasma TV I got has a weird patch on the screen when the picture is of a lighter colour where there is a slight shadow, yet I just live with it. I have legit reasons to upgrade but just can't bring myself getting a new TV...

Thing is that my TV isn't even 4k...I would like a 4k TV. The Plasma TV I got has a weird patch on the screen when the picture is of a lighter colour where there is a slight shadow, yet I just live with it. I have legit reasons to upgrade but just can't bring myself getting a new TV...

We have a crap spec telly too, bought it a while back in one of the Supermarkets, was only about £350 or something for a 50"

Years ago I would have absolutely had to have the best that was available but I watch so little t.v these days I couldn't care less.

To be honest all we ever use it for is the footy and a few favourite t.v shows usually via IPTV so having a better spec telly is no help really as most of the stuff is in 1080p or 720p.

while agree that a better evf and ergonomics and a different coloured focus box would be welcomed... it will need a lot more than that to justify a new camera, surely.

new a7r4 with new sensor & a9 focus performance?

My a7iv wishlist is:
A9-like silent shooting
Faster boot up/wake
Seconds on the clock

The cameras we have now may be mostly good enough with a niggle or two but the thing with new stuff is that we sometimes don't know we want it until we see it.

If this new camera address niggles that in itself may be enough for some. For others some wonderful feature like global shutter will get them buying and there could always be some new feature that we just haven't thought of and then even I might want one :D

Last edited:
while agree that a better evf and ergonomics and a different coloured focus box would be welcomed... it will need a lot more than that to justify a new camera, surely.

I'd have thought a new sensor would be a given... but we wont have to wait too long to find out.

Isn't it weird that I don't think too much spending £1500 on a lens but I can't bring myself spending £800 on a new TV...
priorities mate lol

Well looks like the announcement is today at around 3pm.

I am in no need for upgrading yet as i have already gone over my allowance of what i spend per year on camera stuff so i would have to wait until next year march/april before entertaining the idea of upgrading to something.

What would make me upgrade my A9?

• Full global shutter at 24fps with zero banding
  • Picture profile
  • 4k 60fps
  • dual uhs 3 card slot and higher buffer clearout speed an capacity
  • Menu's fully compatible with touch
  • 36MP at least for more cropping ability(vital for sports toggers)
  • More weather sealing is welcome
  • USB C charging
  • slightly wider camera body so my fingers dont get crushed on the grip part
  • built in gps

What would make me upgrade the A7r3?

• 60MP sensor with at least a stop DR improvements
  • full 99 percent af coverage
  • 4k 60fps
  • wider camera like mentioned on the A9
  • 12fps a bonus?!?!
  • A9mk1's silent shutter ability(even if it was done at say 5fps) for heavily reduced rolling shutter
  • Weather sealing
  • Dual UHS 3 card slots
  • built in GPS

priorities mate lol

Well looks like the announcement is today at around 3pm.

I am in no need for upgrading yet as i have already gone over my allowance of what i spend per year on camera stuff so i would have to wait until next year march/april before entertaining the idea of upgrading to something.

What would make me upgrade my A9?

• Full global shutter at 24fps with zero banding
  • Picture profile
  • 4k 60fps
  • dual uhs 3 card slot and higher buffer clearout speed an capacity
  • Menu's fully compatible with touch
  • 36MP at least for more cropping ability(vital for sports toggers)
  • More weather sealing is welcome
  • USB C charging
  • slightly wider camera body so my fingers dont get crushed on the grip part
  • built in gps

What would make me upgrade the A7r3?

• 60MP sensor with at least a stop DR improvements
  • full 99 percent af coverage
  • 4k 60fps
  • wider camera like mentioned on the A9
  • 12fps a bonus?!?!
  • A9mk1's silent shutter ability(even if it was done at say 5fps) for heavily reduced rolling shutter
  • Weather sealing
  • Dual UHS 3 card slots
  • built in GPS

Even if they do so those they'll never add GPS lol.

Looks like the new A7RIV will be a different body shape as they are bringing out a new grip to go with it.

On a side note, do you use any of the adapters to mount the Apc (a-mount) lens’ to the a7? I have a few lens it would like to use until I can source the funds for the full frame ones. There some from £59.99 through £299 but it seems a bit of a minefield!

LA-EA4 works OK, although no better than their standard DSLR focussing (which is pretty good). Manual adapters are a bit sucky TBH, and I find the much vaunted focus peaking less useful than the focus assist lamp in a Nikon viewfinder when working manually because it's lighting up a lot of stuff that's a long way either side the focal plane.

That sounds good for A7R4 sales but not so much for A9.

I do think there will be more than just a new EVF, rear display and sensor but those are justification enough on their own as what do you really want out of a new A7R given the rest of their line up?

If its a new A7R4 then I can get a really cheap A7R2 for landscape!

There is 4 new cameras coming today apparently.

So based on what the rumour site have said there will be a new RX100 and A7RIV.

The other two are still up in the air there has been talk of the A9II or an e-mount camera designed purely for video only or a competitor to the Canon RP or a pro aimed APSC.

There is 4 new cameras coming today apparently.

So based on what the rumour site have said there will be a new RX100 and A7RIV.

The other two are still up in the air there has been talk of the A9II or an e-mount camera designed purely for video only or a competitor to the Canon RP or a pro aimed APSC.

What if they are A6600, RX1RIII, RX100mk6 and some kind of DJI Pocket style cam....

What if they are A6600, RX1RIII, RX100mk6 and some kind of DJI Pocket style cam....

Could well be. It is odd there hasn't been any real leaks for this one. Usually it is leaked weeks in advance.

There is supposed to be some new lenses coming today as well.

Back