The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I know, I am a bit raging because it looks like there is prob not much point me doing a pre-order now as stock is prob gonna be very thin on the ground for these and I am too far behind on the list already. Might just wait until they hit the grey market suppliers.

Putting Heritage in tech is a bit strange since technology moves on so fast it’s impossible to keep up. Heritage in musical instruments, sure, a violin hasn’t changed in hundreds of years but a silicon chip base product?

Heritage shouldn’t be applied here. It’s like DJI, they came from nowhere and it’s now the leading drone and gimbal company, what heritage?

I know, I am a bit raging because it looks like there is prob not much point me doing a pre-order now as stock is prob gonna be very thin on the ground for these and I am too far behind on the list already. Might just wait until they hit the grey market suppliers.

exactly what I was thinking. Might as well give up getting early stock at this point! Think I will wait till first reduction in RRP happens (its not like I'll get it any sooner by sounds of it).

I was in a well known camera store today talking to their Sony camera rep. He and his colleagues were somewhat surprised that the A7R4 had come out and some what concerned about trying to sell sufficient numbers at a cost of £3500 when the A7R3 is as much as £1800 cheaper. He thinks their earlier cameras will be pick up sales as a result and most people will wait for the A7R4 to be discounted.
Jessops or was it curry's you were in ?

Real toggers don't shop there mate lol

I’ve finally made the move to a E mount body having bought a A6400 to replace my A77 as my main camera. For now I’ll have to use my existing A mount lenses with it using the LAEA3 adapter. The body included the 16-50mm kit lens.

Initial impressions are very positive, the AF system is excellent compared to the A77. The smaller body size will take a bit of time to get used to, especially the placement of dials to adjust aperture and shutter.

I’ll probably keep the A77 to use with my Sigma 100-300 f4 as this will not work with the adapter I’m buying. My other lenses will work perfectly including my 16-50mm f2.8

Last edited:
I’ve finally made the move to a E mount body to replace my A77 as my main camera. For now I’ll have to use my existing A mount lenses with it using the LAEA3 adapter. The body included the 16-50mm kit lens.

Initial impressions are very positive, the AF system is excellent compared to the A77. The smaller body size will take a bit of time to get used to, especially the placement of dials to adjust aperture and shutter.

I’ll probably keep the A77 to use with my Sigma 100-300 f4 as this will not work with the adapter I’m buying. My other lenses will work perfectly including my 16-50mm f2.8
The 16-50mm f2.8 is a gem of a lens. No other system had an equivalent lens at the time. Fuji now has one.

The 16-50mm f2.8 is a gem of a lens. No other system had an equivalent lens at the time. Fuji now has one.

Yes it’s my favourite and most used lens on my A77 so I’ll definitely be buying the adapter to make use of it on the A6400.

I called into my local WEX earlier, that store alone has already taken over 200 pre orders for the A7R4. One of the guys there said they have never taken as many pre orders as a company for a Sony camera before at this stage. While I was there they took another 3 pre orders over the phone and I was only there for about 10 minutes.

So that seems odd.

A couple of blogs I've looked at were saying that demand for this would be high so it looks like they could be right.

Over at The Online Photographer he's asking how many years you've used film and digital.

For me it was 32 years with film and now 16 years with digital.

https://theonlinephotographer.typep...m-vs-digital-not-what-you-think.html#comments

My first camera was a Kodak 36 Instamatic which I still have but haven't used for I don't know how long. My first digital camera was a Fuji F602 pro zoom which was just about unusable for anything moving. It briefly replaced my Nikon SLR which I had for decades. My first and only Sony has been my A7.

What about you lot? I suppose some of you may not have even used film?

I’ve finally made the move to a E mount body to replace my A77 as my main camera. For now I’ll have to use my existing A mount lenses with it using the LAEA3 adapter. The body included the 16-50mm kit lens.

The 16-50mm is a great lens but it’s a DX lens so you won’t be utilising the full sensor. Should be OK to tide you over though (y)

Over at The Online Photographer he's asking how many years you've used film and digital.

https://theonlinephotographer.typep...m-vs-digital-not-what-you-think.html#comments

My first camera was a Kodak 36 Instamatic which I still have but haven't used for I don't know how long. My first digital camera was a Fuji F602 pro zoom which was just about unusable for anything moving. It briefly replaced my Nikon SLR which I had for decades. My first and only Sony has been my A7.

There was nothing but film for me until I was in my early twenties. My Dad always had cameras, mostly point & click film, never anything fancy, and I would claim them as mine as a kid. I'd buy rolls with my pocket money and I remember handing them in to a local shop that would send them away for developing. It was like waiting on Christmas for your photos to return, I loved it. It used to tak anything from 3-4 days to 2 weeks before they would have your photos, and you always got a free roll of film along with :)

So it's about 50-50 for me, I still often feel like I'm well behind in the digital era, the first half of my life was all film though I never did get to use a darkroom or anything technical regarding the whole film process. It was more shoot, then play the waiting game. I did suffer the disappointment of a whole set of black photos, I had no clue about exposure settings and I never used flash back then. We had cameras from Kodak, Fuji, Olympus and Agfa, if anyone remembers them?

The 16-50mm is a great lens but it’s a DX lens so you won’t be utilising the full sensor. Should be OK to tide you over though (y)
Judging that his body came with a 16-50 kit lens it looks like he has purchased an APS-C body.

Apologies, I had neglected to say in my post it is a A6400 I have purchased. I could have sworn I'd typed that!!

Judging that his body came with a 16-50 kit lens it looks like he has purchased an APS-C body.
Apologies, I had neglected to say in my post it is a A6400 I have purchased. I could have sworn I'd typed that!!
Ahh, I just assumed that because we’re in the A7 thread it was an A7 we were talking about ;)

I had a few compact film cameras when I was younger - I remember one was a red Praktica though - and got my Yashica FX3 Super 2000 around 1997 or so which I still have now!
I bought my first digital in 2003/4 (and a pc at the same time) ready for when my first child was born. A Sony cybershot of some description. Then a Fuji S9500 in 2006 for my 30th, Canon 450D in 2009 after the Fuji broke, 5D2 in 2010, Sony A7 in 2014/5.....

Over on Luminous Landscape they're talking about problems with face/eye detect with the A9 and A7RIII failing to lock onto black faces and preferring to hop over to white faces and believe it or not racism has been mentioned. I hope to Gosh they're joking but I suspect not.

I've had a few issues with my A7 and non white faces when using single spot especially when they're relatively small in the frame but not too many, just a few. I've used single spot to avoid face detect selecting the wrong face for exactly the reasons they're talking about at LL. If Mrs WW is in the frame I'd place the focus point on her and if she's not involved I'd pick the main point of focus based on who I thought was the main subject, for example with a man and woman couple shot I'd probably focus on the womans eye. Silly me has put the potential issues down to a contrast issue (brown faces, relatively small in the picture as it's a group shot, maybe less variation in contrast making it more of a problem for the camera to lock on) when of course I should have realised it's an international wide ranging racist conspiracy.

I can't say that I remember having too many issues with single brown faces in the frame like a half body shot of Mrs WW or one of her family or friends. Single person relatively frame filling shots are usually no problem but I'd not be too surprised if the kit struggled to lock onto a face in a group shot at a longer distances or skipped to a face it preferred for reasons of contrast.

Anyone else had problems? I suppose cameras and their algorithms will get better and this possibly intermittent and possibly subject, setting, light and contrast dependent issue will eventually become less of a one, but racism.... give me strength.

Last edited:
Over on Luminous Landscape they're talking about problems with face/eye detect with the A9 and A7RIII failing to lock onto black faces and preferring to hop over to white faces and believe it or not racism has been mentioned. I hope to Gosh they're joking but I suspect not.

I've had a few issues with my A7 and non white faces when using single spot especially when they're relatively small in the frame but not too many, just a few. I've used single spot to avoid face detect selecting the wrong face for exactly the reasons they're talking about at LL. If Mrs WW is in the frame I'd place the focus point on her and if she's not involved I'd pick the main point of focus based on who I thought was the main subject, for example with a man and woman couple shot 'd probably focus on the womans eye. Silly me has put the potential issues down to a contrast issue (brown faces, relatively small in the picture as it's a group shot, maybe less variation in contrast making it more of a problem for the camera to lock on) when of course I should have realised it's an international wide ranging racist conspiracy.

I can't say that I remember having too many issues with single brown faces in the frame like a half body shot of Mrs WW or one of her family or friends. Single person relatively frame filling shots are usually no problem but I'd not be too surprised if the kit struggled to lock onto a face in a group shot at a longer distances or skipped to a face it preferred for reasons of contrast.

Anyone else had problems? I suppose cameras and their algorithms will get better and this possibly intermittent and possibly subject, setting, light and contrast dependent issue will eventually become less of a one, but racism.... give me strength.

Ffs, the world we live in. :oops: :$

Have been shooting with eyeAF since A7RII days and it works just as well regardless of ethnicity lol.

Sigma 45mm f2.8 sample pictures at DPR...

https://www.dpreview.com/samples/34...tm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source

I quite fancy this lens.

I have a Minolta Rokkor 45mm f2 and it's a very nice lens, I also have a Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 and that's a very very nice lens but on the chunky side.

I probably wont buy this 45mm f2.8 but I'd be a lot more tempted if it was f2 or f1.8. The build looks nice but maybe not as special as the rumours had lead me to think it was going to be.

Here it is on the Sigma site...

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/contemporary/c019_45_28/

https://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/sigma-45mm-dg-dn-contemporary/

A little vid...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP_evCSEVcg

Anyone tempted?

Last edited:
Anyone tempted?

I personally don't see much appeal in this lens, there's cheaper lenses, there's better performing lenses and Sony has the most bloated array of lenses around this focal length so I'm not sure what's especially unique about it.

I'm glad to see it's got an aperture ring and a AF/MF switch which means it's probably a nicer MF lens than a Batis 40 but the Batis is crap in this regard and if that's a priority isn't the CV 40 supposed to be excellent?

'anything else welcome' :p

I wish the Fuji crowd had done similar instead of splitting the series up across different threads, like the XH1 thread .... should be just merged with the XT body thread as it's the XT2 sensor ... that is one thing you lot got right with this one, all in

Sigma 45mm f2.8 sample pictures at DPR...

https://www.dpreview.com/samples/34...tm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source

I quite fancy this lens.

I have a Minolta Rokkor 45mm f2 and it's a very nice lens, I also have a Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 and that's a very very nice lens but on the chunky side.

I probably wont buy this 45mm f2.8 but I'd be a lot more tempted if it was f2 or f1.8. The build looks nice but maybe not as special as the rumours had lead me to think it was going to be.

Here it is on the Sigma site...

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/contemporary/c019_45_28/

https://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/sigma-45mm-dg-dn-contemporary/

A little vid...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP_evCSEVcg

Anyone tempted?
As already suggested if it were f1.7 or 2 then perhaps, but like this then no.

I personally don't see much appeal in this lens, there's cheaper lenses, there's better performing lenses and Sony has the most bloated array of lenses around this focal length so I'm not sure what's especially unique about it.

I'm glad to see it's got an aperture ring and a AF/MF switch which means it's probably a nicer MF lens than a Batis 40 but the Batis is crap in this regard and if that's a priority isn't the CV 40 supposed to be excellent?

I think it makes the most sense if you prefer a relatively compact f2.8 prime to a much more versatile but much bigger and heavier f2.8 zoom. Plus there's the gear fondling effect :D as I do like nicely built primes and this one might be almost like having an old metal Rokkor or something like that but with better image quality and no need for an adapter.

Lenses like this do appeal to me and although f2.8 isn't f1.8 or f2 it is acceptable for a lot of things except the extremes of low light and subject isolation but if you're a mostly f4 or f5 to f12 or there abouts sort of person who'd only go to the likes of f2.8 now and again a f2.8 could well be mostly acceptable... just as the 35mm f2.8's are.

Another way to look at it is that some are quite happy with f2 lenses on Fuji's and f1.8 lenses on MFT as they're good value and keep the size down and a f2.8 on FF will enable a Fuji or MFT user to see a bit of an improvement, maybe.

I am tempted because I like nice compact primes in the 24 to 85 sort or range but I would be a lot more tempted if it was f1.8 or f2. I probably wont get one.

As already suggested if it were f1.7 or 2 then perhaps, but like this then no.

Yup.

Last edited:
I am tempted because I like nice compact primes in the 24 to 85 sort or range but I would be a lot more tempted if it was f1.8 or f2. I probably wont get one.

The problem I have is that it's not compact *enough* to justify its existence as a 2.8, but not fast enough to be used for low light for the relative bulk. It *may* be super-sharp edge to edge with no CA or vignetting and a beautify bokeh (unlikely) at a great price, in which case I'd happily eat my words and jump on that waggon - but it looks like it was designed this was to be cheaper to make.

The problem I have is that it's not compact *enough* to justify its existence as a 2.8, but not fast enough to be used for low light for the relative bulk. It *may* be super-sharp edge to edge with no CA or vignetting and a beautify bokeh (unlikely) at a great price, in which case I'd happily eat my words and jump on that waggon - but it looks like it was designed this was to be cheaper to make.
It's probably compact enough for me as it looks just a touch bigger than the 35mm f2.8.

There's an A7RIII in the classifieds with a spare battery for £1,500. Is that a good price? I see e infinity does them for £1,709.

Anyway, it's there to tempt whoever may be tempted :D

I'm sort of tempted but to be honest I haven't got time for photography at the mo but will soon be off for a holiday :D

There's an A7RIII in the classifieds with a spare battery for £1,500. Is that a good price? I see e infinity does them for £1,709.

Anyway, it's there to tempt whoever may be tempted :D

I'm sort of tempted but to be honest I haven't got time for photography at the mo but will soon be off for a holiday :D

Not that good a deal in my opinion based on how the A7RII’s value dropped after the launch of the A7RIII the used prices on these will drop quickly over the next few months. At that sort of money anyway you would be better of just getting a new one.

That's what I thought but anyone wanting one could maybe haggle a little over the one in the classifieds.

Just sat here thinking I don't know what I'd go for if buying today, a new A7III or A7RIII or a used RIII just to get the extra cropping ability over the A7III and save a few hundred over a new RIII. The main improvements I see for me would be the joystick and eye detect.

That's what I thought but anyone wanting one could maybe haggle a little over the one in the classifieds.

Just sat here thinking I don't know what I'd go for if buying today, a new A7III or A7RIII or a used RIII just to get the extra cropping ability over the A7III and save a few hundred over a new RIII. The main improvements I see for me would be the joystick and eye detect.

If I hadn't bought the A7III then I'd have been tempted.

Back