The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Now that I have FE35/1.8 on the way should I swap my 85GM for FE85mm/1.8

But I really like the 85GM....

Internet says Samyang AF 85mm 1.4 is comparable in stills, lack a bit on video. I'd probably getting this later.

I found the samyangs struggle with afc with oncoming targets, warm colour shift and you need a dock to be certain they are at their best.

Collect them all.

Now have 2 x V1, 2 x V860 but just 1 AD200

Ha6zboz.jpg

Don't know, judging from reviewers the difference is negligible though.

You shouldn’t t believe reviews at face value with Samyang they give out tons of free gear for those.

Mate of mine has the Samyang 85mm the a.f isn’t very reliable even in good light especially using eye a.f. In low light it’s very poor.

You shouldn’t t believe reviews at face value with Samyang they give out tons of free gear for those.

Mate of mine has the Samyang 85mm the a.f isn’t very reliable even in good light especially using eye a.f. In low light it’s very poor.

Samyang are the worst AF lenses ever made. Period

Same. Amazon had it listed for £531 for about a day - likely an errror but hey not complaining. Delivery date (estimated) 13 September.
Yep got it on the same "offer". Got the same estimated date too.

They seem to have charged me though which I was surprised by since Amazon don't normally charge till they actually ship the item.

Samyang 35mm 2.8 vs Sony 35mm 2.8. IMO ZERO difference in the AF both low light and good light. Tested side by side.

The more likely scenario is that because Mr f2.8 doesn’t like Samyang Mr f1.4 also hates them, that’s what usually seems to happen :)

I have no issue with Samyang they make some really good lenses none of those are a.f lenses though.

They have some really good manual lenses, There a.f lenses suck pretty bad. Optically some are okay but they just haven’t cracked nailing a.f performance yet.

E-Mount is an open system not sure why they find it so difficult. Maybe Sony gives Sigma & Tamron more info or more likely they pay more than Samyang is willing too.

Tony and me disagree about a lot of things so that’s just not true.

Last edited:
I have no issue with Samyang they make some really good lenses none of those are a.f lenses though.

They have some really good manual lenses, There a.f lenses suck pretty bad. Optically some are okay but they just haven’t cracked nailing a.f performance yet.

E-Mount is an open system not sure why they find it so difficult. Maybe Sony gives Sigma & Tamron more info or more likely they pay more than Samyang is willing too.

You and Tony are both working in the pro field though, maybe Samy lenses are perfectly fine for the everyday shooter or just those who shoot a different, more slowed down style? Not everyone requires blazing fast AF. I'm just neutral here, obviously never used any of the Sony FF bodies nor any of the Samy AF lenses, but I'm ever interested. If I did go Sony I'd be hitting those budget friendly offerings big time, so if you consider someone who doesn't mind slower AF, but is more interested in IQ, maybe close focus capabilities, and having a bit of, yet limited [by budget] variety - how would you rate these Samyang primes then?

That's right, I should not believe but I am using it as a reference and thank them for their contribution. If I decided to purchase one and my result varies, at least I can either blame the lens being defective or the end-user.

You and Tony are both working in the pro field though, maybe Samy lenses are perfectly fine for the everyday shooter or just those who shoot a different, more slowed down style? Not everyone requires blazing fast AF. I'm just neutral here, obviously never used any of the Sony FF bodies nor any of the Samy AF lenses, but I'm ever interested. If I did go Sony I'd be hitting those budget friendly offerings big time, so if you consider someone who doesn't mind slower AF, but is more interested in IQ, maybe close focus capabilities, and having a bit of, yet limited [by budget] variety - how would you rate these Samyang primes then?
They are brilliant and hit way above their price point IMO. AF can be choppy at times especially if the subject is erratic or approaching the camera. Otherwise it's fine even for AF-C.

I tried about 5 different copies of the Samyang 35 so I gave it ample opportunity lol I'm sure they're fine for most users. I also know fellow pros that have tried a variety of the other lenses and they all report back the same thing when I check with them (turd performance)

Believe me man, I'd love nothing more than their 85 1.4 to be able to focus consistently but that's just not the case (would be an amazing bargain) they also constantly update the FW trying to alleviate the AF issues to no avail by the looks of it

Shooting a wedding where performance of gear is critical I just wouldn't entertain trying to use another one of their lenses Haha. I was very interested in their 45mm 1.8 until I seen the "AF improvements" in the FW update shortly after it released. They also make the process more of a pain in the arse as you have to buy a dock to update. Their manual focus lenses are 100x better

I tried about 5 different copies of the Samyang 35 so I gave it ample opportunity lol I'm sure they're fine for most users. I also know fellow pros that have tried a variety of the other lenses and they all report back the same thing when I check with them (turd performance)

Believe me man, I'd love nothing more than their 85 1.4 to be able to focus consistently but that's just not the case (would be an amazing bargain) they also constantly update the FW trying to alleviate the AF issues to no avail by the looks of it

Shooting a wedding where performance of gear is critical I just wouldn't entertain trying to use another one of their lenses Haha. I was very interested in their 45mm 1.8 until I seen the "AF improvements" in the FW update shortly after it released. They also make the process more of a pain in the arse as you have to buy a dock to update. Their manual focus lenses are 100x better

Tbh once you cough up the money for the dock, updating the lens via. the dock is easier than updating Sony bodies and lenses via the Sony body.
Their update app just works but Sony's update procedure is a joke and all over the place.

I wouldn't be happy with Samyang lenses for everyday personal use. For personal stuff yeah slower a.f isn't much a huge issue but a.f accuracy is and that is where the Samyang lenses struggle most. Maybe I am being unfair I should say I have only used the 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2.8, 35 f/1.4 and the 50 f/1.4 for any length of time and I thought that a.f accuracy on those was poor.

It isn't an elitist thing it isn't even a pro thing. I will buy third party glass and have done plenty of times. When I shot Nikon I had several Sigma and Tamron lenses, I also had a couple of manual focus Samyang lenses.

I mainly switched to Sony because I wanted more accurate autofocus. At this point I have tried most of the more popular lens options. Samyang is the only manufacturer that I have found a.f performance to be sub par to the point where they are frustrating to use and can't be relied on.

There is no chance at all I would rely on them for work and I wouldn't be happy with them for personal use either. Off the Samyang lenses I have used the 24mm f/2.8 was the worst performer, it was a little bit better on my A7III's but absolutely terrible on my daughters A7. I wasn't happy with it even on my A6400.

I had several copies of the 24mm bought from different sources as my daughter really liked it due it's small size, even she though ended up frustrated with it. The last one we had I bought from Amazon we kept it 5 months. On a whim I asked Amazon to return it and they took it back straight away with no issues because these get returned a lot.

Last edited:
At DPR they're maybe not entirely positive about the RX100VII...

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx100-vii-review-in-progress

In the comments section people are talking about image quality and smartphones. I've never tried one of these and my only experience of 1" sensors is my TZ100 but I do think that these cameras have three advantages over phones, the zoom lens, the image quality and the fact that they can be used like cameras if you don't like the screen based picture taking and handling of phones.

If I hadn't gone for the TZ I'd probably have one of these Sonys.

I was only messing :)

To be honest, I have had 3 copies of the 35mm 1.4. AF noise on all of them was ridiculous! One was fine, focus was probably good enough but the noise was just annoying. Second one had a hair in it and third had a big internal scratch on an element.

Had the 24mm 2.8 and 35mm 2.8 and quite liked them, build quality a bit naff but cheap.

I do think their quality control leaves a bit to be desired though.

All these talk of Samyang i am glad i just bit the bullet and bought the Zeiss in the first place. Cost more but just less headaches.

However the Zeiss isn't exactly problem free, with the reports of decentering. I guess most lenses have flaws you need to just get a good copy or weigh up the pros/cons.

I canned the Samyang off and just got the Sony 28mm f2 to accompany the Tamron 28-75 2.8 at the moment.
How do you find the Tamron (at 28 obviously) compared to the Sony? I've only got primes at the moment and finding it a bit of a faff, so wondering about an general purpose zoom. The Sony/Zeiss 28-70 looks good in theory but seems to get flamed a lot for being soft - is the Tamron that much better?

The Sony/Zeiss 28-70 looks good in theory but seems to get flamed a lot for being soft - is the Tamron that much better?

I've looked at the Zony 24-70 f/4 so many times, cost being a major factor I've seen it below £450 brand new from some of the grey market sellers. It's a lens that seems to make a lot of sense, but you find more people saying how average it is than people singing it's praises.

Back