The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

My 35 1.2 will be delivered tomorrow. 3rd wedding on the trot tomorrow and would have loved to have it for it as it's an actor's wedding and might get abit of attention

Fingers crossed its here before 9am lol
p***ing down today. Not a great day for a wedding! How do you cope with bad weather?

Me too, the Smallrig seems good quality but makes the camera feel huge, there are some blatant copies of the RRS on eBay by Gabale which are much cheaper but I have no idea about the quality or fit, if anyone here has got one could you let us know your opinion of it.

I've got the Gabale LB3 and have had no problems with it. It's solid and well made.
I've had it for a year and a half and the price of them has dropped considerably in that time, hopefully just due to increased production and not a change in materials.

The one negative I have to say is that the battery door has to be *removed from the camera and fitted to the base of the grip. So if like me you swap the plate on and off depending on what you are shooting for the day it adds an extra step when fitting or removing the plate.

*You can fit the plate leaving the battery door as it is but then you cannot access the battery to change it without removing the plate.

I've got the Gabale LB3 and have had no problems with it. It's solid and well made.
I've had it for a year and a half and the price of them has dropped considerably in that time, hopefully just due to increased production and not a change in materials.

The one negative I have to say is that the battery door has to be *removed from the camera and fitted to the base of the grip. So if like me you swap the plate on and off depending on what you are shooting for the day it adds an extra step when fitting or removing the plate.

*You can fit the plate leaving the battery door as it is but then you cannot access the battery to change it without removing the plate.
Thanks just the kind of information I was looking for.

I also have the Gabale and works really well, I'm buying a second one for my other camera.
Yes the battery door needs to be removed and fitted to the grip but if you don't change the grip from one camera to another often it is not a problem.
This would not be a problem for me as the baseplate stays on most of the time I only remove the side plate when using the camera handheld.

Best L-bracket for A7III that is affordable?

Finding the Smallrig too bulky

I also have the Gabale and works really well, I'm buying a second one for my other camera.
Yes the battery door needs to be removed and fitted to the grip but if you don't change the grip from one camera to another often it is not a problem.

p***ing down today. Not a great day for a wedding! How do you cope with bad weather?
Just got to roll with it and improvise. Of course, make sure you've got plenty of cloths to wipe the rain drops off the lens, or alternatively just do all the shooting indoors.

The F Stop Loka UL I ordered arrived in the post from Europe today. All my Sony kit fits in it well and a travel tripod in one side mesh pocket and a water bottle in the other. I’ve missed having side pockets so much, they are so useful and easy to access.

What’s everyone else cart their kit around in?

Is this the Gabale L bracket?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GABALE-L...-Holder-for-Sony-A7RIII-A9-7RM3-/123034199577

I like the idea of the battery door and also the thinner depth. The smallrig L bracket is quite deep adding some bulk.

The F Stop Loka UL I ordered arrived in the post from Europe today. All my Sony kit fits in it well and a travel tripod in one side mesh pocket and a water bottle in the other. I’ve missed having side pockets so much, they are so useful and easy to access.

Mostly a man bag bought off a floating market in Thailand which takes my A7 with any lens I have attached and also water bottles and/or snacks too. Other than that a Lowepro Apex 100AW wich takes my A7 and 35mm f2.8, a Billingham digital which will take my A7 with lens and maybe two other lenses or my newest a Billingham Hadley small pro. I also have a Town and Country camcorder bag which is excellent and can take my A7 and a film era prime plus three more primes. I use this if I can get out by myself.

Usually a Lowepro Flipside 400 unless walking long distances all day and then a Manfrotto Off Road 30L but I want to replace that when the right bag comes up for sale :)

I bought the previous one and returned it because it barely held the A73 with a 35 ZA….I noticed DJI just released the Ronin SC this week too and saw yours. Curious which one is better and why you picked this one.

sc1.jpg

sc2.jpg

I picked up an SC this morning as the local camera store had one, had hoped to have tried it out today but haven't been able to so it will be later next week before I can fully test.

I'll let you/the thread know how it is.

Mostly a man bag bought off a floating market in Thailand which takes my A7 with any lens I have attached and also water bottles and/or snacks too. Other than that a Lowepro Apex 100AW wich takes my A7 and 35mm f2.8, a Billingham digital which will take my A7 with lens and maybe two other lenses or my newest a Billingham Hadley small pro. I also have a Town and Country camcorder bag which is excellent and can take my A7 and a film era prime plus three more primes. I use this if I can get out by myself.
I’ve never got on with shoulder bags but I was probably trying to carry too much.

Usually a Lowepro Flipside 400 unless walking long distances all day and then a Manfrotto Off Road 30L but I want to replace that when the right bag comes up for sale :)
I used to love the flip side 400 I had. They are good bags but the lack of space for other kit is what moved me on to F Stop. I like to be able to vary the kit I take out and have extra room for now camera kit too.

I used to love the flip side 400 I had. They are good bags but the lack of space for other kit is what moved me on to F Stop. I like to be able to vary the kit I take out and have extra room for now camera kit too.

I tend to carry the A7, CV21, CV40 & FE85 at the most with filters, etc Still have room for a drink, snacks, gloves, waterproof trousers if I have to. It's not as comfortable as a hiking bag though over longer distances.

Just watched Manny's review of the 35mm 1.8, and I'm going to give it a few months then pick one up I think. Seems a good little lens. Will be ideal for family trips out.

Weather was awesome for the wedding we shot today.

When it is bad you just have to go with it, we give them the option of just shooting in the rain (which I love) or moving indoors which they pretty much always decide to do as brides get very worried about their make up, hair, dress etc.

We are always prepared for really bad weather which usually means shooting indoors so we bring a couple of AD200's and a few modifiers to each wedding just in case.

Had one of those rare days today were the weather was great, the couple were really good fun and the venue was a belter.

Last edited:
Weather was brilliant the last 3 days for me !

The Irish PM is at this wedding lol

Not had anything like that in a while.

This day last year we shot a wedding and one of the guests was one of the better known actors in Game of Thrones, they also read out a letter from Prince Charles he wasn't able to make the wedding but was a family friend.

Also had one a few months back when the majority of guests where M.P's etc. There was leaders from a couple of the well known local political parties.

I did shoot some stuff for a B list celebrity not long ago for his new website, but can't really count that as he my brothers mate.

I lost out on a booking for someone famous and never did find out who it was. They wouldn't give any info until after I agreed to sign an nda etc. and the whole thing just was a pain, in the end I just said I wouldn't do it. Have no idea who it was. :)

Last edited:
I would still carry a backpack. Way nicer and comfy to carry on you

I've only had one but I never liked it and it ended in in a drawer under the bed being used just to keep lenses and filters in. Having a much smaller bag that can also be used for water bottles and snacks fits in with me wanting to carry smaller kit and be more unobtrusive.

Just watched Manny's review of the 35mm 1.8, and I'm going to give it a few months then pick one up I think. Seems a good little lens. Will be ideal for family trips out.

I don't know who this is, have you got a linky please?

I'm sort of wishing I'd ordered on Amazon the other day when it was a bit cheaper.
Currently I have the Sigma 1.4 and the Samyang 2.8 but I think I could replace both with the 35 1.8, it seems a reasonable compromise on size and aperture.

I took some pictures today at a birthday party, A7 and 35mm f2.8 with wide area and face detect set but the face detect kept locking onto a plain white envelope at the elbow of the person sat opening birthday cards... why I just don't know as it looked nothing like a face, just an oblong white envelope. I've never seen this before. Anyway, I switched to single spot and put it on the subjects face. How strange. I suppose the explanation is somewhere in the fact that the envelope was white and it was on a dark chair but I just couldn't see how it could see a face there at all.

I took some pictures today at a birthday party, A7 and 35mm f2.8 with wide area and face detect set but the face detect kept locking onto a plain white envelope at the elbow of the person sat opening birthday cards... why I just don't know as it looked nothing like a face, just an oblong white envelope. I've never seen this before. Anyway, I switched to single spot and put it on the subjects face. How strange. I suppose the explanation is somewhere in the fact that the envelope was white and it was on a dark chair but I just couldn't see how it could see a face there at all.

The Fuji X-H1 does this too, it's picked out 'faces' in bushes when I've forgotten to turn FD off. I just never touch it anymore, I'm sure the more up to date cameras do it much better but I think it's better to not rely on in general

I can understand it seeing a face in bushes and the like but this is the first time I've seen this myself and with such an unusual choice of things to lock on to. Usually it works well or just fails to lock on usually because the subjects face is too small in the frame. This is the first time I've seen it repeatedly lock onto something ridiculous, ridiculous to a human anyway.

I can understand it seeing a face in bushes and the like but this is the first time I've seen this myself and with such an unusual choice of things to lock on to. Usually it works well or just fails to lock on usually because the subjects face is too small in the frame. This is the first time I've seen it repeatedly lock onto something ridiculous, ridiculous to a human anyway.

Oh it's happened on plainer objects for me too, but it really does seem to love the bushes - beginning to think my garden is haunted :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Definitely time to retire it! The A7III wouldn't be fooled by an envelope :cool:

£1679 @ Amazon -- https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B4L1PQ8/
And then £150 cashback.
You know it makes sense.

tempsnip.jpg

Please don't say "stop it!" Just buy it :D

Last edited:
Back