The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

If you had to choose, which one and why?

Sony FE 90mm f2.8 Macro G OSS v Canon 100mm f2,8 L

Sony for native, if anything I found the Canon adapted autofocus to be bad. If you only want it for manual focus then the canon is better value.

FE90 macro on Sony because it's better and native. The AF is good to be used for other purposes too.
Sony for native, if anything I found the Canon adapted autofocus to be bad. If you only want it for manual focus then the canon is better value.

I am currently using the 100mm L on the Canon 80D and have an adapter for the Fuji X-H, I just find the AF a little sluggish and it hunts a little. This morning I tried the 90mm Sony on an a7ii and it was great, nice and smooth and it was reduced to £750 (As I have the a7iii, thinking it will be better still). Trouble was a Nikon Rep overheard me talking with the sales guy and he said he wouldn't swap the Canon 100 L for the Sony. Like you've both pointed out I think it will be better having a native lens on a native body...

I am currently using the 100mm L on the Canon 80D and have an adapter for the Fuji X-H, I just find the AF a little sluggish and it hunts a little. This morning I tried the 90mm Sony on an a7ii and it was great, nice and smooth and it was reduced to £750 (As I have the a7iii, thinking it will be better still). Trouble was a Nikon Rep overheard me talking with the sales guy and he said he wouldn't swap the Canon 100 L for the Sony. Like you've both pointed out I think it will be better having a native lens on a native body...

I’ve had both, the Sony performs better on the Somy body.

Perhaps he trying maintain the canonikon dominance? :p
FE90 was the sharpest lens and still one of the sharpest ones.
Canon 100L is great lens but IQ wise there are slightly better lenses. But it's IS is class leading even better than Sony OSS+IBIS.

So I ordered one of those Gabale LB3 L brackets you were discussing a few pages back. It turned up yesterday having taken around a week or so to arrive. Unfortunately it wasn’t the bracket I ordered (sent the wrong one). It does fit the A7r3 but it’s no better than the small rig L bracket I already have. I’ve been offered a partial refund but that still leaves me paying for a L bracket that I want or really have a need for. Any advice as Ive not dealt with issues concerning China ebay sellers before. Accept the partial refund and keep the L bracket (likely see if someone on here needs one) or hold out asking for a return and replacement?

Heh I did same. The one that arrived has a small cutout where the pinky would rest so it useless to me. Complained, got same offer I assume £4 refund. That said, accepted that as it has some utility, but left negative feedback and reported the post as inaccurate.

Adjustments.jpg

Heh I did same. The one that arrived has a small cutout where the pinky would rest so it useless to me. Complained, got same offer I assume £4 refund. That said, accepted that as it has some utility, but left negative feedback and reported the post as inaccurate.

View attachment 252808

Did you buy it for the L bracket so you can flip it on a tripod or to make the camera deeper so your pinky has somewhere to rest?

Did you buy it for the L bracket so you can flip it on a tripod or to make the camera deeper so your pinky has somewhere to rest?

Both ideally so I don’t have to swap things around, but it works as an L bracket, so I kept it and will just use the Sony extender for the extra grip depth.

Both ideally so I don’t have to swap things around, but it works as an L bracket, so I kept it and will just use the Sony extender for the extra grip depth.

I have Lim’s leather case, I love it so much I put it on both my A73. Food for thought.

I also have smallrig L bracket but I find it add too much weight.

View attachment 252808
That’s exactly what I got too. Looks like it wasn’t a case of mistakenly being sent the wrong item like I first thought. I think I may leave it until eBay take over as this seller needs sorting out otherwise they are going to do this to everyone.

I bought it for both reasons. I use an L bracket on a tripod for landscapes but the extra depth is useful for the little finger. Looks like I’m going to stay with the small rig version. Whilst it’s a little deep and makes the camera heavier I’m not going to keep buying L brackets off eBay hoping to get what I ordered.

Last edited:
orXROoe.jpg

Is that an arca Swiss plate under the lens? Do you have a link to where you got it? I like the idea but only if you can fit a side bracket to get the L bracket functionality.

Over the years I’ve always used sunwayfoto L brackets as they are good quality, small size and have a good eBay seller. Without a battery grip L brackets quite good.

Yeah, I kept my smallrig in the situations when I will need it, otherwise the Lim stays on all the time. And yes, it’s an acra Swiss plate at the bottom. There is a snag that you see how it’s all solid at the bottom with only the hole for the tripod thread? Some acra Swiss head have this little metal nipple that doesn’t get pushed down on it and so it doesn’t work with this case...like my Gitzo.

Just found them on eBay. Looks nice but no side bracket so no good for me. The price isn’t as high as I expected, some L bracket like Kirk and RRS are quite a bit too.

Ya those brand names are expensive, but I found China made is pretty good. As long as it fits on the standard arca swiss I'm good.

A what? A porst?

A 50mm f1.2 does sound nice. I'm waiting for me 35mm f1.8.

The holiday was lovely but TBH there was just too much food but getting up at 6am and going for a run round the track before it got too hot helped a bit. Mrs WW would love to go back but she has to go to Thailand for a month next year so that takes priority. I doubt I'll get to go.

There is a manual 50 you don't about :D :eek:

one of these - http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_3865.html#prettyPhoto

Basically a rebranded fujica 50mm f1.2

well you could drop her off in Thailand and get yourself a bachelor trip to Singapore ;)

Guys,

Can anyone who has shot with the Zeiss Batis Lenses, preferably the 40mm and 85mm let me know there thoughts.

Cheers

Guys,

Can anyone who has shot with the Zeiss Batis Lenses, preferably the 40mm and 85mm let me know there thoughts.

Cheers
Already answered the 85mm above. Just get the FE85/1.8 and save yourself some coins

I'd say the same for 40mm too. Just get the FE35/1.8. I haven't actually used both in this case going by what people say. Batis 40 is riddled with firmware issues. Doesn't even focus all that close tbh.

The 40mm is larger than you'd expect for such a lens but it handles very well and is extremely well balanced to the point you don't really notice it, decently quick and accurate AF, silent too, the close focus is great to have making it easy to grab for most situations. If you like to manual focus it's not the lens for you, the focusing ring is just terrible.

It's extremely well corrected giving sharp, high contrast results throughout the entire frame, the bokeh for lack of a better term is a bit nervous and it renders very cold (to the point you'll easily spot which photos it was taken with compared to most other lenses).

I like the 40mm a lot but it's expensive for what it is given there's the Samyang on the low end or the Sony 50mm f/1.4 which has better bokeh at the cost of size, weight and err more cost but if you want a technically excellent lens that's light and easy to use the Batis ticks that box.

I am still debating buying one of these. I know I don’t need it, I know I probably won’t use it much, I just want it. :oops: :$

I love mine. Same as you - didn’t need it but wanted it. It’s great for indoor school stuff where I don’t want to pull out a 70-200 GM and be that guy. [emoji23]

I am still debating buying one of these. I know I don’t need it, I know I probably won’t use it much, I just want it. :oops: :$

I had the 135L and for me, it was a paper weight, just wasn’t my style. It came in useful a few times but a 70-200 is better value and versatile, it’s not 1.8 but for things like back of the church or big speeches room it’s fine and probably better.

I had the 135L and for me, it was a paper weight, just wasn’t my style. It came in useful a few times but a 70-200 is better value and versatile, it’s not 1.8 but for things like back of the church or big speeches room it’s fine and probably better.

That bokeh & compression though :oops: :$

My 35mm f1.8 turned up and I'm quite impressed.

It seems to focus quickly and it may just be faster than my other AF lenses and it focuses quite close too which is very nice for the odd close up shots of flowers and stuff.

HjcWK0f.jpg

3XfS26X.jpg

This is a shot of a clock with the 35mm f2.8 at about MFD.

lhyheXg.jpg

Same thing with the 35mm f1.8 at about MFD.

WvxLfxt.jpg

That's quite a significant difference to me and will be useful.

100% of that.

zmCvvng.jpg

That's very sharp on my screen. I know it's smack in the centre of the frame but still nice and sharp. I'll see how it performs later but so far the only drawback is the size. I do wish it could have been just a bit bigger than the f2.8 or maybe like the f2 on the RX1 range... but it is what it is and will no doubt be a lot smaller and lighter than the f1.4's.

My 35mm f1.8 turned up and I'm quite impressed.

It seems to focus quickly and it may just be faster than my other AF lenses and it focuses quite close too which is very nice for the odd close up shots of flowers and stuff.

HjcWK0f.jpg

3XfS26X.jpg

This is a shot of a clock with the 35mm f2.8 at about MFD.

lhyheXg.jpg

Same thing with the 35mm f1.8 at about MFD.

WvxLfxt.jpg

That's quite a significant difference to me and will be useful.

100% of that.

zmCvvng.jpg

That's very sharp on my screen. I know it's smack in the centre of the frame but still nice and sharp. I'll see how it performs later but so far the only drawback is the size. I do wish it could have been just a bit bigger than the f2.8 or maybe like the f2 on the RX1 range... but it is what it is and will no doubt be a lot smaller and lighter than the f1.4's.
Wtf u got the new Sony 35mm 1.8? From where? Mine hasn't arrived and I ordered it a few months ago!

Back