The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Talk of the 55 made me pick it up for the first time in a long while. A little walk after work..

48587392592_49699043c3_b.jpg

48587392562_60f02c7d5b_b.jpg

Last edited:
I bought an Olympus EM1 ii for street photography and while it is a great set up the files are nowhere near the quality I am looking for and am used to from my D850. I am working on a project about rain and miserable weather and lots of the shots are taken in quite low light and high iso. The Oly struggles a bit so I started looking for alternatives. My criteria was good files at high iso, good dynamic range as some shots are at night where there is big variances of light in the frame and most importantly size and weight(that is what ruled the D850 out).

The A7Riii and A7 iii fit the bill perfectly as they both have nice small primes and great image quality. My problem with making the purchase is their weather sealing. Reviews seem to indicate a problem and the lenses (s5, 55 and 85) seem to have claims of weather resistance but no gaskets. Does anyone use their Sony A7 series in bad weather and if they do how do they hold up. There is always the plastic bag but after years of Nikon and Canon DSLRs where I never worried about the rain it doesn't seem right having to protect equipment that says it is weather resistant.

Does anyone use their Sony A7 series in bad weather and if they do how do they hold up. There is always the plastic bag but after years of Nikon and Canon DSLRs where I never worried about the rain it doesn't seem right having to protect equipment that says it is weather resistant.

I've used my A7 is any and all weather including pouring rain and it's survived with nothing but common sense measures. I've never done anything like leave it on a tripod in the rain or been hit by a wave though.

From what I've read the main weakness is the bottom of the cameras so putting them in standing water will probably kill them quickest.

I've used my A7 is any and all weather including pouring rain and it's survived with nothing but common sense measures. I've never done anything like leave it on a tripod in the rain or been hit by a wave though.

From what I've read the main weakness is the bottom of the cameras so putting them in standing water will probably kill them quickest.

or just gaffer tape the bottom :D

I see what you mean but from what I've read there are some decent Sony lenses too. Maybe not SOTA but good enough?

I don't know what the sales figures will be but with some systems what most people buy is the body and the crappy kit lens so as long as they have one of those available maybe they're good to go... :D

Cheers, yes the battery door appears to be a very poor design. I'll keep my eye out for a good deal on an A7r ii or A7 iii and pair it with either teh 35mm F2.8 or the new F1.8(wish it had been a tad smaller)

Cheers, yes the battery door appears to be a very poor design. I'll keep my eye out for a good deal on an A7r ii or A7 iii and pair it with either teh 35mm F2.8 or the new F1.8(wish it had been a tad smaller)

The 35mm f/1.8 is smaller than Nikon or Canon’s options. How small do you need it to be. :LOL:

I see what you mean but from what I've read there are some decent Sony lenses too. Maybe not SOTA but good enough?

I don't know what the sales figures will be but with some systems what most people buy is the body and the crappy kit lens so as long as they have one of those available maybe they're good to go... :D

I can count the good lenses with a single hand - 10-18mm, 18-105mm, 50mm f1.8 OSS, [16-70mm if you get a good copy at used price]

I've only used one of the kit lenses... it was a power zoom with a mind of its own and I hated it but from what I've read the 24mm f1.8 is supposed to be very good and some of the other primes at least good. What puts me off the system is that the 24mm is on the big side for me and the lack of two near the top of the camera dials. All that and already having plenty of MFT kit. If I was to go for an A6xxx system and could live with the size of the 24mm it'd be an acceptable system for me and could make a lot of sense for A7/9 owners as the lenses all fit.

smaller than the f2.8 version obviously :p

p.s. also sharper and cheaper please.

I think the f1.8 makes the camera and lens package noticeably heavier than with the f2.8. That wont matter to many people.

I think the f1.8 makes the camera and lens package noticeably heavier than with the f2.8. That wont matter to many people.

I don't know picking mine up later on but I imagine it will be a fair bit lighter and smaller than my Sigma Art.

I think you might be right.

The biggest issues for me are getting used to the slightly less inconspicuous package and using a different bag as it'll no longer fit in my Lowepro Apex 100 AW. I'll have to use one of my Billinghams or a man bag.

the f1.8 is still fairly small. Just reverse the hood or don't use it to keep the small "look".

I hardly ever use hoods. Some of my old lenses really suffer and need one but many modern lenses IMO don't need one quite so often, unless in the more extreme and obvious situations.

I quite like the idea of having an APSC body alongside my A7III but the current design puts me off, the cameras really need front and back wheels for aperture and shutter control for me. I think I may have a bought an A6400 by now if this was implemented.

I think you might be right.

The biggest issues for me are getting used to the slightly less inconspicuous package and using a different bag as it'll no longer fit in my Lowepro Apex 100 AW. I'll have to use one of my Billinghams or a man bag.

Alan, I have recently bought a Lowepro Adventura TLZ 30 II just to carry my A73 with 16-35 f4 lens with hood on. Depthwise it's perfect and has a little space to the side for me to put in a thin divider and stick my phone in there too if I want to. The 35mm f1.8 lens is smaller and so the even smaller Lowepro Adventura TLZ 20 II might fit the bill...

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/93617...AWIN&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=176013

Alan, I have recently bought a Lowepro Adventura TLZ 30 II just to carry my A73 with 16-35 f4 lens with hood on. Depthwise it's perfect and has a little space to the side for me to put in a thin divider and stick my phone in there too if I want to. The 35mm f1.8 lens is smaller and so the even smaller Lowepro Adventura TLZ 20 II might fit the bill...

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/93617...AWIN&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=176013

Last weekend I bought a Peak Design 10ltr Everyday Sling. It's a good size for a walk about bag and doesn't look out of place either. The way it sits though might not be for everyone as it's a close fit.

Thanks.

I have these plus old DSLR and camcorder bags plus man bags.

Vzcc65g.jpg

Ed1KR0k.jpg

My newest is the first Billingham bag above and it's lovely but this Lowepro (below) is just so small and I will miss that if the 35mm f1.8 becomes a favorite. I think I'll use that black Billingham when I want smaller for now and see how I get on.

kSCnTEP.jpg

Last edited:
I quite like the idea of having an APSC body alongside my A7III but the current design puts me off, the cameras really need front and back wheels for aperture and shutter control for me. I think I may have a bought an A6400 by now if this was implemented.

Yeah, that's an obvious downside if you are used to shooting manual.

It's not so much of an issue if you just shoot in aperture priority with auto I.S.O which I did when I had my A6400.

Thanks.

I have these plus old DSLR and camcorder bags plus man bags.

Vzcc65g.jpg

Ed1KR0k.jpg

My newest is the first Billingham bag above and it's lovely but this Lowepro (below) is just so small and I will miss that if the 35mm f1.8 becomes a favorite. I think I'll use that black Billingham when I want smaller for now and see how I get on.

kSCnTEP.jpg

You're covered there.

The 35mm f/1.8 is smaller than Nikon or Canon’s options. How small do you need it to be. :LOL:
As small as they can make it. Sony have done a great job with the F1.8s but if it had been a tad smaller I would rule out the F2.8 straight away. As it is I might live with less light for that more inconspicuous package.

For the first time since we switched over from Nikon we now have a similar gear line up to what we had before.

4 x A7III
1 x 24G.M f/1.4
1 x Sigma Art 35 f/1.4
1 x Sony FE35 f/1.8
1 x Sony 55 f/1.8
1 x Sony 85G.M f/1.4
1 x Sony FE85 f/1.8
1 x Sony 90 f/2.8 Macro
1 x Tamron 17-28 f/2.8
1 x Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
1 x Sony 70-200 f/4

The 135G.M should be with me by Friday/Saturday.

I have an A7RIV on pre order but I am thinking of cancelling it.

I have cancelled my pre-order on the Sony 200-600, as it seems to be taking forever to come into stock and I keep thinking I probably won't make that much use of it. Might revisit it later on. Plus I wanna use the money for a wee trip.

886AD59F-A5D0-4D79-BBAF-4042EE029648.jpeg

Some difference in size between these 2. :LOL:

0CAE8C00-B5C5-4315-8CB1-363996C83087.jpeg

Last edited:
For the first time since we switched over from Nikon we now have a similar gear line up to what we had before.

4 x A7III
1 x 24G.M f/1.4
1 x Sigma Art 35 f/1.4
1 x Sony FE35 f/1.8
1 x Sony 55 f/1.8
1 x Sony 85G.M f/1.4
1 x Sony FE85 f/1.8
1 x Tamron 17-28 f/2.8
1 x Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
1 x Sony 70-200 f/4

The 135G.M should be with me by Friday/Saturday.

I have an A7RIV on pre order but I am thinking of cancelling it.

I have cancelled my pre-order on the Sony 200-600, as it seems to be taking forever to come into stock and I keep thinking I probably won't make that much use of it. Might revisit it later on. Plus I wanna use the money for a wee trip.

View attachment 253138

Some difference in size between these 2. :LOL:

View attachment 253139

no love for new ART 35mm/1.2?

Back