The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Oops :D Bought on 23/10/2018Screenshot 2019-08-22 at 12.34.12.png

I have got my 24GM. Haven't tested it properly yet but looks good.
So I will cancel the pre-order unless you or someone else wants it.

The amazon ETA is 13th September and I believe I can still change the delivery address (so it'll be free delivery).

I'm definitely interested but not in a position to confirm right now, sorry. I'lll let you know as soon as I can but obviously if someone else can confirm before that then don't hold back.

Does anyone know a picture upload site that Mrs WW can use on her tablet and phone?

At the mo everything is on her tablet and phone but they're getting cluttered now so she wants a web based site.

I use IMGUR on my pc and I set one up for her but on her tablet via the ap it's an absolute pile of half working crap so we need something else. She wants to upload a lot of pictures and be able to download them and also send them to friends and family.

OneDrive, Dropbox and several other cloud storage providers do this. Will upload everything in the background, which can sync to other devices as well as the cloud. Google Photos as well; with a slightly different concept.

Does anyone know a picture upload site that Mrs WW can use on her tablet and phone?

At the mo everything is on her tablet and phone but they're getting cluttered now so she wants a web based site.

I use IMGUR on my pc and I set one up for her but on her tablet via the ap it's an absolute pile of half working crap so we need something else. She wants to upload a lot of pictures and be able to download them and also send them to friends and family.

Google Photo?

Google photo is what I use for phone images, I think you get 5GB free. You can set it up so any images you take on your phone or tablet auto upload to Google photos, or manually select the pics you want to save - accessible from any device using the app or the full website. Same for Onedrive. Both have sharing folder options where you can send private links for specific folders and keep the rest hidden

Last edited:
I'm definitely interested but not in a position to confirm right now, sorry. I'lll let you know as soon as I can but obviously if someone else can confirm before that then don't hold back.

I am not in a massive hurry at the moment but obviously would like to get it sorted before the lens ships out if possible (simply because it saves time and money).

I have puppy photos coming out of my ears at the moment... flip screen helps somewhat :)

I want to get some of Newt running because she just bumbles from left to right... but 50mm 1.4 prime was too slow focusing for the close up distance - going to have to try the 24-70 zoom next time.

Newt by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Help needed please:

A friend's a7iii camera is stuck on start up on a screen saying something like "Writing to the memory card was not completed correctly" "Recover data?"
We can not do anything else than press "Enter" And then we are getting a message about executing and that will damage data, which of course we have to accept, otherwise it wont get out of "the circle of cancel or execute", but nothing happens....The message wording might be a bit different in English as the camera is set up in Spanish.

The camera Menu cannot be accessed and we have tried different cards, formatting the cards on another a7iii, removing the battery...nothing seems to work.

Any ideas on how to solve this issue, please?

Had a wander round Docklands Museum whilst waiting for Mrs B today. Used the Sigma 24mm ART. The museum is DARK. I'm constantly amazed at the low light capabilities of the A7iii. It's definitely inspiring me to get out and shoot more interiors.

These are a mixture of manual and aperture priority shots

Docklands Museum by Nick Brennan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Help needed please:

A friend's a7iii camera is stuck on start up on a screen saying something like "Writing to the memory card was not completed correctly" "Recover data?"
We can not do anything else than press "Enter" And then we are getting a message about executing and that will damage data, which of course we have to accept, otherwise it wont get out of "the circle of cancel or execute", but nothing happens....The message wording might be a bit different in English as the camera is set up in Spanish.

The camera Menu cannot be accessed and we have tried different cards, formatting the cards on another a7iii, removing the battery...nothing seems to work.

Any ideas on how to solve this issue, please?
Does the A7iii have a reset button located on the underside of the camera?

Reactions: 4wd
Pure stinking weather man. My first of 4 today. Meant to clear up though the next few days

Yep weather has been crap, we are out again tomorrow and Saturday fingers crossed for an improvement.

I have got my 24GM. Haven't tested it properly yet but looks good.
So I will cancel the pre-order unless you or someone else wants it.

The amazon ETA is 13th September and I believe I can still change the delivery address (so it'll be free delivery).
You may be out of luck, just tried doing similar for a set of headphones and had to cancel to reorder to change delivery address....you may be ok but though it worth mentioning, was a supplied by amazon item too so not due to 3rd party etc...

You may be out of luck, just tried doing similar for a set of headphones and had to cancel to reorder to change delivery address....you may be ok but though it worth mentioning, was a supplied by amazon item too so not due to 3rd party etc...

Well if that is the case whomever wants it will have to pay around £540 to cover the delivery. Still cheaper than any where else.
I don't mind really. I can cancel it any time to get my money back, but if someone can take benefit from it I am happy to help.

Just got back from hols in Dominican Republic. Was up early one day due to jet lag so took a walk down the beach and saw the sun rise.

2yNtNZcVeF1d6CX5MRz4eI_nSkTnvjzm4tPAZiIlY4v4OijmcUtb3ffinHfBVs8ISfEaD5iq_qXWI7Dfshd3mEe_ybAnmAUJKv5W9s-KSspLOzP3YB1jKoE6358bfmAF2_tOuY7-5WTBy4usb13yxqPcDQKZMRfDa2MIeqY7Ro-0i3PuNXxRjsLFrDJf1-hblTqSsWXhL2By_qddzbi-P2vFnNOaqJmeSMMb3boTPkY4hx5tecSBxQjT-L2saImgdDUmneQMxBHK3OYsDVYTEOCrPs7FADmSlbs7V98SKepyssiJUzhqkVYoLOYcvlTbKaiZAx5hnVAgl0DAWRuBmrgp7TSISwp6Z-ThPvdFWBZGtbzucr1BNwcDLoJQg_zhPRWXpXjrCxvqOQkHHqiYmaYHadD2m8fnJdf2cXwPnNfclxdOOlsGjMhEkcECZLDDtN_DZ7a2ofFNwR9J0r8gd3iCntoUzE-HebfEcoj7J13BNm0foSzl_zpxmKcQN951T8wPf2XphNi0kqaFhWVAFpp-lcBdHkiauijecoQrJnAXjOS1adIXkszxZGgtZkNApvz6JzEB1B0rkCguaLCmnlCAwcwhQtQaUpPjHObnMfdbmk4Vsrbi0XX6TdoEBid0bVW6db_3tVcjy8uJBY-HS9yH_XZyRiinPVzUw_iiW7_ZQTpdN6C2wJPTQh6B9k3YeCG_4E8VPvmzCixh_mNaSgrmlQ=w958-h639-no

Just had a quick scan through the images from yesterdays wedding.

I took the FE35 f/1.8 with me but only used it for getting ready as a I was a little worried using an untested lens at a wedding so I even doubled up on the important shots with another lens just in case. I shouldn't have been concerned though it performed very well. It's a very similar lens to the FE85 f/1.8 in that it has quick a.f and is very sharp. I didn't really notice too many issues with C.A. It did at one point hunt slightly, when my 24GM didn't but haven't noticed that at any other point.

Seem's to be a very decent lens and with it being small & light it's pretty much a joy to use, I imagine it will be very good for travelling.

While I was out working yesterday my 135GM arrived looking forward to giving it a bash at today's wedding.

F601B541-6F6C-4F13-BDD0-4307BD9D8B69.jpeg

Last edited:
Had a wander round Docklands Museum whilst waiting for Mrs B today. Used the Sigma 24mm ART. The museum is DARK. I'm constantly amazed at the low light capabilities of the A7iii. It's definitely inspiring me to get out and shoot more interiors.

These are a mixture of manual and aperture priority shots

Very nice set of shots, liking all of these very much.

“I must give that place a look, must admit I didn’t even know it existed”

George.

Just had a quick scan through the images from yesterdays wedding.

I took the FE35 f/1.8 with me but only used it for getting ready as a I was a little worried using an untested lens at a wedding so I even doubled up on the important shots with another lens just in case. I shouldn't have been concerned though it performed very well. It's a very similar lens to the FE85 f/1.8 in that it has quick a.f and is very sharp. I didn't really notice too many issues with C.A. It did at one point hunt slightly, when my 24GM didn't but haven't noticed that at any other point.

Seem's to be a very decent lens and with it being small & light it's pretty much a joy to use, I imagine it will be very good for travelling.

While I was out working yesterday my 135GM arrived looking forward to giving it a bash at today's wedding.

The only real negative I've heard about the 35mm f1.8 so far is the ca issue which is disappointing but probably not too much of a real world issue for me and I am sure that no none forum people seeing my pictures will point it out to me. I therefore think it'll be a good lens for me and the f1.8 and close focusing ability are great for me as a happy snapper. The only thing I could ask for would be a lens of this quality in a not much bigger than the f2.8 package.

If this lens will be up to semi pro and pro use I just don't know so as a happy snapper and nothing more it'll be interesting to see what others earning money from all this think about the lens. It'll also be interesting to see what more demanding amateurs think of it too.

Chad Wadsworth reviews the 35mm f1.8 and compares it to the one on the RX1 range. Direct link bypassing the rumor site...

https://chadwadsworth.com/2019/08/0...8-is-the-lens-rx1-fans-have-been-waiting-for/

"It has been several weeks since I first laid hands on the FE 35mm f/1.8 and it continues to impress; so much so that I can give it an unqualified recommendation for anyone looking for a go anywhere, fast semi-wide prime. It’s a sleeper lens that doesn’t need a GM badge to prove its capabilities. It marries the best of the classic definitive moment reportage concept found in the RX1 to the latest generation of Sony’s impressive autofocus systems in a significant evolutionary leap that is going to put a smile on a lot of faces."

I'm sure I've seen that review before. Anyway. There it is.

It's interesting that people are comparing it to the 85mm f1.8 whereas I'd compare it to the 55mm f1.8.

Chad Wadsworth reviews the 35mm f1.8 and compares it to the one on the RX1 range. Direct link bypassing the rumor site...

https://chadwadsworth.com/2019/08/0...8-is-the-lens-rx1-fans-have-been-waiting-for/

"It has been several weeks since I first laid hands on the FE 35mm f/1.8 and it continues to impress; so much so that I can give it an unqualified recommendation for anyone looking for a go anywhere, fast semi-wide prime. It’s a sleeper lens that doesn’t need a GM badge to prove its capabilities. It marries the best of the classic definitive moment reportage concept found in the RX1 to the latest generation of Sony’s impressive autofocus systems in a significant evolutionary leap that is going to put a smile on a lot of faces."

I'm sure I've seen that review before. Anyway. There it is.

It's interesting that people are comparing it to the 85mm f1.8 whereas I'd compare it to the 55mm f1.8.

That review is the same as the one posted on Steve Huff's site.

The FE35 other than size is nothing like the 55mm. It has very different rendering and is warmer. It is very like the 85mm in terms of having fast a.f and poor C.A.

Focal length wise I flip between 35 and 50mm so the comparison to the 55mm is more valid to me as I can imagine someone looking at the two lenses, 35 and 55mm f1.8's, and deciding which to buy. I see 85mm as a rather different focal length more suited to people shots than general walk about stuff which I think 35 or 50mm would be more suitable for. I can't see myself looking at the 35 and 85mm f1.8's and wondering which to buy as they are very different focal lengths, for me.

Anyway, I have all three now and IMHO the 55mm is the best, the 85mm is to an extent a marmite choice because of the bokeh and the 35mm f1.8 which may be the weakest IMO is possibly the most versatile for me as it'll be a good walk about and general use lens due to the f1.8, the FoV and close focusing ability. I can see myself taking the 35mm f2.8 out instead though when I want the most compact camera and lens package.

Last edited:
Focal length wise I flip between 35 and 50mm so the comparison to the 55mm is more valid to me as I can imagine someone looking at the two lenses, 35 and 55mm f1.8's, and deciding which to buy. I see 85mm as a rather different focal length more suited to people shots than general walk about stuff which I think 35 or 50mm would be more suitable for. I can't see myself looking at the 35 and 85mm f1.8's and wondering which to buy as they are very different focal lengths, for me.

Anyway, I have all three now and IMHO the 55mm is the best, the 85mm is to an extent a marmite choice because of the bokeh and the 35mm f1.8 which may be the weakest IMO is possibly the most versatile for me as it'll be a good walk about and general use lens due to the f1.8, the FoV and close focusing ability. I can see myself taking the 35mm f2.8 out instead though when I want the most compact camera and lens package.

Really, I don't imagine anyone deciding between a 35mm or a 55mm as a one from either focal length. I would also say the 85mm is the weakest of those 3 rather than the 35. The 55 is technically the best.

I can't see myself choosing between 35 and 85 unless it was because I could only afford one as they're just so different. If you're looking at an 85 why on earth would you look at a 35? And vise versa. IMO 35 v 55 is a lot more realistic a choice to choose between if you are only going for one than 35 v 85. Historically 35 and 50 have been amongst the most popular choices for a standard lens rather than 85. But there you go. Actually 35 plus 85 is/has often been viewed as a good combination to cover most things whereas 50mm has often been seen as a good reportage do it all type length, if you're of that sort of mindset. I am. But I do think that 35 or 50mm makes a good choice as an almost do it all length, if that's what you like and I do.

Last edited:
I can't see myself choosing between 35 and 85 unless it was because I could only afford one as they're just so different. If you're looking at an 85 why on earth would you look at a 35? And vise versa. IMO 35 v 55 is a lot more realistic a choice to choose between if you are only going for one than 35 v 85. Historically 35 and 50 have been amongst the most popular choices for a standard lens rather than 85. But there you go. Actually 35 plus 85 is/has often been viewed as a good combination to cover most things whereas 50mm has often been seen as a good reportage do it all type length, if you're of that sort of mindset. I am. But I do think that 35 or 50mm makes a good choice as an almost do it all length, if that's what you like and I do.

You seem to have got confused. I didn’t say anyone would choose between a 35 or an 85. I said I don’t see anyone choosing between a 35 or a 55. 55mm is too long for a general lens 50mm might be different.

A 35mm and 85mm two lens kit is pretty common, so I can see the comparison from that point of view. They look to be a well matched pair.

I don't think I'll be switching my Sigma Art 35mm for the Sony though.

Back