The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The way I do it now is to buy the LR 12 month sub on amazon prime day and Black Friday for £70 or something and it gives me 12 months.

Vesus I used to pay £110 or something at every release.

And I get photoshop for free (I know it’s not)

Previously and I guess at the moment I only upgraded LR when I had to i.e. my body was no longer supported. A7RIII was the last Sony body they supported in LR6 and I still have some time before upgrading to A7RIV. When I upgrade I'll look into options but currently LR6 works just fine.

I paid £75 for my copy of LR6. I have had it for 2.5 years. I am pretty sure I'll get to 3 years with it. So that's £25 per year as suppose to £70 per year. See why I don't like the subscription model? :p

Last edited:
Previously and I guess at the moment I only upgraded LR when I had to i.e. my body was no longer supported. A7RIII was the last Sony body they supported in LR6 and I still have some time before upgrading to A7RIV. When I upgrade I'll look into options but currently LR6 works just fine.

I paid £75 for my copy of LR6. I have had it for 2.5 years. I am pretty sure I'll get to 3 years with it. So that's £25 per year as suppose to £70 per year. See why I don't like the subscription model? :p

Same here!!

The way I do it now is to buy the LR 12 month sub on amazon prime day and Black Friday for £70 or something and it gives me 12 months.

Vesus I used to pay £110 or something at every release.

And I get photoshop for free (I know it’s not)
I do the same, it makes it more cost effective especially as I don’t use photoshop. The lightroom subscription isn’t so bad if you use portfolio for your website. I used to pay zenfolio £50 a year and upgraded lightroom every second version, now I pay around £70 a year for both as I cancelled zenfolio and recreated roughly the same website look with portfolio. Add on you get LR mobile functionality with the subscription it’s quite good value but only if you use more than just lightroom classic.

I was the same, I bought the upgrade every few versions rather than every single version. It took me a few years to justify the subscription model because I was judging it only against the lightroom standalone version. Once I worked out the subscription is more than just Lightroom I did the sums and I basically get lightroom for £20 a year (I was already paying zenfolio £50 and the lightroom subscription includes portfolio). Add to the fact I can edit using my iPad and all the edit changes appear in the desktop it’s not exactly the same product as lightroom standalone. Due to that it’s hard to compare them directly as the subscription is much more than just standalone Lightroom (subscription includes Lightroom with mobile editing, photoshop & website).

My regret is that I decided to wait for LR7 (using 5.7) only to realise too late that 6 was no longer being sold.

And it landed :
First impressions feel (grip is really nice) and EVF is much better than previous model which was terrible.

Hope to get some time over the weekend to test out IQ, Focus etc. I'll report back when I have :)

Sexy!

I tried that new CC thingy but it wouldn't install so I just gave up.

I'm using CS5 but I fancied the moire brush which CS5 doesn't have. It'd also be nice not to have to convert raws to DNG's before processing. I might weaken and try again one day.

How'd you get it that cheap then?

How'd you get it that cheap then?
Got in a sale of sorts don't exactly remember. I actually at time advertised it on here too for other people to make use of the discount.
But even at full price which was £105-110, it works out about half of what I would have to pay now.

I was the same, I bought the upgrade every few versions rather than every single version. It took me a few years to justify the subscription model because I was judging it only against the lightroom standalone version. Once I worked out the subscription is more than just Lightroom I did the sums and I basically get lightroom for £20 a year (I was already paying zenfolio £50 and the lightroom subscription includes portfolio). Add to the fact I can edit using my iPad and all the edit changes appear in the desktop it’s not exactly the same product as lightroom standalone. Due to that it’s hard to compare them directly as the subscription is much more than just standalone Lightroom (subscription includes Lightroom with mobile editing, photoshop & website).

If you actually need all those then great. I don't need or want any of that. Don't even own tablet or iPad devices and probably never will.

I'd happier with a cut down cheaper subscription for just LR which they don't do. I don't like companies forcing products down my throat and then making me pay for it. I know what I want thank you very much. Don't need Adobe telling me that :p

About time ;)

It only took 3 weeks since I started, didn’t take that long! I think I got roughly 60% of what I paid originally which sounds really bad but from a capital investment point of view it’s really good as some of those pieces of gear I’ve had for a decade.

Last edited:
If you actually need all those then great. I don't need or want any of that. Don't even own tablet or iPad devices and probably never will.

I'd happier with a cut down cheaper subscription for just LR which they don't do. I don't like companies forcing products down my throat and then making me pay for it. I know what I want thank you very much. Don't need Adobe telling me that :p
I’m not saying it’s for everyone as it’s not (horses for courses etc). I just don’t think many are aware that the ‘photography plan’ subscription comes with much more than just Lightroom. I wasn’t until I looked into it, for years I just thought it was an expensive way to just use Lightroom not knowing it came with other stuff that I was already paying for.

Buying pre paid when it’s on offer is the cut down cheaper subscription if you only want Lightroom. It’s more cost effective than paying monthly. I don’t think we will ever see a Lightroom classic only subscription model as they already have the Lightroom only with cloud storage model. I think that’s the direction they will go long term.

I’m not saying it’s for everyone as it’s not (horses for courses etc). I just don’t think many are aware that the ‘photography plan’ subscription comes with much more than just Lightroom. I wasn’t until I looked into it, for years I just thought it was an expensive way to just use Lightroom not knowing it came with other stuff that I was already paying for.

Buying pre paid when it’s on offer is the cut down cheaper subscription if you only want Lightroom. It’s more cost effective than paying monthly. I don’t think we will ever see a Lightroom classic only subscription model as they already have the Lightroom only with cloud storage model. I think that’s the direction they will go long term.

That is kinda exactly my point. You were paying for stuff you didn't need.

Imagine you go to a shop to buy a camera and they forced you to buy it with a 24-70/2.8 lens regardless at more cost. Sure it's a good lens and you can make use of it but you didn't need it ;)

(Obviously camera manufacturers wouldn't get away or get anywhere with that and Adobe can get away with this)

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

My Birthday came early...... just got back this morning from a week abroad with work, as my good lady is driving me back from the airport she tells me she had a very nice PPI windfall come through the post while I was away, that’s great news I say... we continue the journey home her discussing what she was looking forward to buying...

We arrive home and i’m Shattered and just needed a wee lie down, I’ll put your stuff in your office she tells me, okay I say and go for 40 winks. I got up a couple of hours ago and went to my study to retrieve some paperwork from my bags, when I open the study door I see 2 bags on my desk, pinned to one of the bags is a simple note that read thus “ Darling, I Love you, Enjoy “

Before I had left for my work business trip I had been mulling over what to get to go on my new a7iii and had drawn up a short list of sorts... Sitting in the bags on my desk were my Shortlist, the Sony FE 90mm f2.8 G OSS Macro, the Sony 85mm f1.8, the Sony 55mm f1.8 and a Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art Lens....

I was Speechless to say the least, I get the feeling I owe my thoughtful wife a Holiday somewhere Special....

Let’s just say she could’ve purchased them twice over and a little bit more.....

I’m doing mine now, previously tried enquiring it but got nothing, one last try with this company. Better with them taking a cut and me getting something than a big fat zero.

I’m not sure how I feel about it, I should feel good knowing I never got taken advantage of to begin with so no PPI claim but I also wouldn’t say no to some gear fund.

In which way? I tried it this afternoon and it seemed fine, actually really good from the tests I did.

There was a post over on DPR with someone potentially having focusing issues with the R4, this has spilled onto other forums with people freaking out about a possible AF issue.

I'm assuming the whole thing is overblown, no one else has had an issue and I don't think there's even any photos showing any problems. They could be right but unless anyone else notices a problem I really wouldn't worry about it.

90mm Macro arrived this morning. :)

TlmT7Ynh.jpg

FADDnVjh.jpg

There was a post over on DPR with someone potentially having focusing issues with the R4, this has spilled onto other forums with people freaking out about a possible AF issue.

I'm assuming the whole thing is overblown, no one else has had an issue and I don't think there's even any photos showing any problems. They could be right but unless anyone else notices a problem I really wouldn't worry about it.

Ahhh just the normal new camera, blow a everything out of proportion nonsense then :) I just did a few more tests and all seems good to me, focus is super quick and nails the focus with all mode inc eye af, single point, wide etc etc.

I still can't believe I got one this early, wasn't expecting it until next month lol

A few thoughts about the A7RIV after using it this afternoon on a coast walk.

1) The ergonomics are so much better, the grip is deeper, more space between grip/lens and little fingers has a home
2) It feels better built in terms of doors, covers etc and the little things like exposure compensation lock.
3) Autofocus is Really good, certainly more responsive and less laggy than the A7RIII. Eye AF was sometimes jumpy on the III but seems much better now.
4) EVF is better, could tell the difference straight away. For some reason though it doesn't appear to be the boost in res that it says on paper. In certain situations ie portraits etc it looks great but for fine details on landscapes (which I do mostly) it still appears pixelated even when view taken images. Not as good as the Fuji or Nikon which is a little disappointing
5) Rear screen is the same (on paper) but seems a but brighter, maybe I'm imagining that though as only used it one afternoon. But still not proper touch, why ohh why..
6) Image quality/detail - AMAZING! I'm used to images from A7RIII and my D850 but the jump to 61MP is amazing. I was a little concerned about it being fussy with lenses but I used 5 lenses on it today and no problems, 16-35, 24-105, 70-200, 85, 90 so I'm assuming rest will be fine. Not tried the pixelshift thing yet, I'll try that in a Cathedral or something next week. Dynamic Range seems very good, not done anything techy to test but under/over exposed and recovered detail well. I'm very happy with this and worth an upgrade.
7) Files take a while to write, I'm using 300mb/s Lexar cards and they took a while to write. In continuous (high) shooting it hit buffer around 28 shoots and took a while to clear, you could watch it the counter go down slowly. It did let you start shooting again but very slowly and not much else you could do. Not really a problem, that's what the A9 is for (and please Sony release A9II soon...)
8) Menu system etc same ol, same ol... ie terrible. With so many menus it's amazing how much you still can't customise.

So far so good, Sony have made a great camera but they need to start looking at usability, it still lacks a lot of features I'd like and it lacks the intuitive feel you get with the likes of a Fuji.

Last edited:
A few thoughts about the A7RIV after using it this afternoon on a coast walk.

1) The ergonomics are so much better, the grip is deeper, more space between grip/lens and little fingers has a home
2) It feels better built in terms of doors, covers etc and the little things like exposure compensation lock.
3) Autofocus is really good, certainly more responsive and less laggy than the A7RIII. Eye AF was sometimes jumpy on the III but seems better now.
4) EVF is better, could tell the difference straight away. For some reason though it doesn't appear to be the boost in res that it says on paper. In certain situations ie portraits etc it looks great but for fine details on landscapes (which I do mostly) it still appears pixelated even when view taken images. Not as good as the Fuji or Nikon which is a little disappointing
5) Rear screen is the same (on paper) but seems a but brighter, maybe I'm imagining that though as only used it one afternoon. But still not proper touch, why ohh why..
6) Image quality/detail - AMAZING! I'm used to images from A7RIII and my D850 but the jump to 61MP is amazing. I was a little concerned about it being fussy with lenses but I used 5 lenses on it today and no problems, 16-35, 24-105, 70-200, 85, 90 so I'm assuming rest will be fine. Not tried the pixelshift thing yet, I'll try that in a Cathedral or something next week. Dynamic Range seems very good, not done anything techy to test but under/over exposed and recovered detail well. I'm very happy with this and worth an upgrade.
7) Files take a while to write, I'm using 300mb/s Lexar cards and they took a while to write. In continuous (high) shooting it hit buffer around 28 shoots and took a while to clear, you could watch it the counter go down slowly. It did let you start shooting again but very slowly and not much else you could do. Not really a problem, that's what the A9 is for (and please Sony release A9II soon...)
8) Menu system etc same ol, same ol... ie terrible. With so many menus it's amazing how much you still can't customise.

So far so good, Sony have made a great camera but they need to start looking at usability, it still lacks a lot of features I'd like and it lacks the intuitive feel you get with the likes of a Fuji.
Funnily enough I found my A7RIII EVF better than Fuji. Fuji X-T3 just seems dull and washed out to me. I couldn't get it to brighten up and be as crisp as my A7RIII.

Funnily enough I found my A7RIII EVF better than Fuji. Fuji X-T3 just seems dull and washed out to me. I couldn't get it to brighten up and be as crisp as my A7RIII.

The X-T3 can be a little washed out but when I adjusted it was fine (or at least better) and much more realistic than the A7RII. The problem with the the A7RIII EVF was it was low res and everything seemed over sharp, it was especially noticeable on fine details, grasses etc which just looked terrible. The A7RIV is a big improvement but I'm still finding it artificially over sharp on the fine details and distant subjects.

Edit: comparing EVF's indoors now and the A7RIV is soo much better than last, it's actually really good!! makes me wonder what is different than this afternoon as I've not changed anything, will have to go out and try again tomorrow, maybe it is just the subject matter.

I've only had the camera since this morning and haven't fully set it up (read barely set it up) so I may find some setting that I'll find better.

Either way, love the final images from it, I can Pixel Peep for hours now :)

Last edited:
Anyone know of an L-Bracket for the A7RIV yet? I tried one from the A7RIII today and it doesn't fit :(

Tony north's preview had issues with the af a while ago and there is a bloke on dp who has the same issue it seems

TP was at a Sony event and it was a pre-production at the time iirc and others were fine, not really going to worry about it, but thanks for letting me know so I could test to be sure.

I know I've asked before but really can't decide, Id like the 1.4 but I think I'd use the 1.8 more due to size as I'm more likely to put it in my everyday bag but equally I don't want to be disappointed. I'm assuming neither is bad.

I ended up getting the 85mm 1.8 yesterday. I tried both again and in the end it came down to size, I knew with the 1.8 I was more likely to keep it in my day bag where as the 1.4 I'd probably only take if there was something specific I'd use it for. From the quick play I had yesterday on the A7RIV I'm pleased with it, for £549 it's a great lens in fact. May end up with the 1.4 at some stage but for now the 1.8 will do fine as I have a list of other primes to get first.

Last edited:
Think you are the first one on talkphotography to have this body. So you tell us :D

Ohhh lol, guess that's the problem with getting early :)

Maybe I'll try a generic one at the camera store to keep me going until there's a proper one as I'm googled out and no results lol

Back