The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

In general I am not impressed by Tamron's production and supply lines. The strategy seems to be making great mirrorless lenses with just enough copies for all the youtubers to rave about how awesome it is and few other lucky ones. The rest have to wait ages for it.

If the wait was 1-2 weeks instead of 1-2 months, I'd have ordered it myself.

Even before then can sort their supply for 17-28mm and even 28-75mm they are teasing 4 new lenses. Of course more lenses is good and welcome but if I want of one these 4 lenses I will have to probably wait 2 years at this rate.

Last edited:
Sod it.

oCjL519.png

In general I am not impressed by Tamron's production and supply lines. The strategy seems to be making great mirrorless lenses with just enough copies for all the youtubers to rave about how awesome it is and few other lucky ones. The rest have to wait ages for it.

If the wait was 1-2 weeks instead of 1-2 months, I'd have ordered it myself.

Even before then can sort their supply for 17-28mm and even 28-75mm they are teasing 4 new lenses. Of course more lenses is good and welcome but if I want of one these 4 lenses I will have to probably wait 2 years at this rate.

The 17-28mm has been in stock and available at quite a few suppliers for the last 3 weeks or so?

I bought mine on eBay about 3 weeks ago and there was quite a few U.K suppliers that had them in stock. When I was in my local WEX the other day they had a few of them.

Jessops currently have 10% off everything. So could get it for £810 from there (although think it's currently out of stock). Not sure if it's too late though as you've already ordered.

Code for 10% off is bankhol10

Last edited:
Jessops currently have 10% off everything. So could get it for £810 from there (although think it's currently out of stock). Not sure if it's too late though as you've already ordered.

Code for 10% off is bankhol10

I know but they don’t know when they will have stock, I need to know it will arrive inside 2 weeks.

Anyone got an a6400? The tracking AF is actual magic but how do you stop it from settling in a new position (i.e. off centre)?

Was talking about just vanilla LR(6). Don't need any think else. If you actually need everything that you get as part of the subscription then it's definitely for you. I just want/need LR.

I am very much of the same thinking, hate the new subscription model, got the final stand alone version Lightroom which is compatible with my Sony A9.
It’s a shame as I’d like something better which takes advantage of eGPU’s. :(

100% with the 35mm f1.8 at f1.8.

This is just a titchy one on the outside of the window but it's coming up to spider season here and we had a big one in the house earlier.

1yWT31J.jpg

70kxjau.jpg

Last edited:
Back of holiday now and although most of the time was spent with family, I did manage to get a couple of evenings to myself. I used the opportunity to work on low light/long exposure. Along with this I also decided to use bracketing and panoramas more. Here are a few of my early favourites

Firstly a single 30 second exposure
Torquay,20190823 -13238.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

Next is a 3 image HDR merge
Torquay,20190823 -13240-HDR.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

Finally a 20 image Panorama/HDR Merge. All week I had been hoping for a sunset and unfortunately it didn't appear

Torquay,20190823 -13154-HDR-Pano.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

As always CC is most welcome

So has anyone had issues with there a7iii shutter.
Mine has been issue free so far ,though I’m probably on less than 5k,but I’m in a Facebook group and people are constantly going on about shutter issues and trying to push Sony for a recall.

There seems to be a few stripping there shutter per week and not even ones with high shutter counts a lot under 10k.

So has anyone had issues with there a7iii shutter.
Mine has been issue free so far ,though I’m probably on less than 5k,but I’m in a Facebook group and people are constantly going on about shutter issues and trying to push Sony for a recall.

There seems to be a few stripping there shutter per week and not even ones with high shutter counts a lot under 10k.

How fast do you shoot? I've read a couple of people breaking it when shooting at Hi+.

I often shoot in high but not high+

As I said mine is fine, just seems a-bit worrying that so many seem to be failing.
Seems more so than the d750’s that had shutter issues.
My d750 did exactly the same though and stripped the shutter at under 10k.

I saw they were trying to even get some off the larger you tubers to push Sony with this.

I shoot in Hi+ quite often, no issues with my shutter yet. Currently at over 82k actuations.

Am at cambasands. Joke of a place especially the so called food. Rip off. You can't order chips on its own or with something else with it. Only fish and chips..

No a7iii shutter issues here and I must be way over 50k.

Not really seen many people complaining about shutter issues with the A7III. Have seen far more about the A9.

I haven’t had any issues with my A7III’s as yet and we have 4 of them.

Last edited:
Am at cambasands. Joke of a place especially the so called food. Rip off. You can't order chips on its own or with something else with it. Only fish and chips..

Did you mean to post this here? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

More bramble picking, A7 and 35mm f1.8 at f1.8...

zKIid8l.jpg

IADQEuM.jpg

Little flowers at f5.6 and 50% crop.

9fHp71i.jpg

This lens is just about perfect for me for this sort of day out stuff but I can see myself taking the f2.8 instead when I want smaller kit.

Last edited:

Chips on their own isn't a balanced diet. Unless you have a bag in each hand. You should eat the fish and chips. Make sure you put lots of salt and vinegar on them, oh, and ask for scraps too.

Last edited:

Camber sands is (was?) a lovely place, but there were no shops/kiosks to sell chips then - just miles and miles of snady beach and shallow, warmish sea at this time of year. Anything you wanted to eat or drink came in your bags.

Need some advice here, good people of the forum. I'll hopefully be picking up my A7mkII in a couple of days and went with the Sony FE 24-70mm f4 ZA oss lens.

Now my plan of thought is to chop the Sony lens in and get the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 di iii rxd. I'll only be paying an extra £200 odd.

Or would I be better off purchasing the 35 or 50mm prime instead? And keeping the Sony lens.

Won't be in a position to purchase any lenses after this for quite a while. So trying to see which way forward is the best way.

Need some advice here, good people of the forum. I'll hopefully be picking up my A7mkII in a couple of days and went with the Sony FE 24-70mm f4 ZA oss lens.

Now my plan of thought is to chop the Sony lens in and get the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 di iii rxd. I'll only be paying an extra £200 odd.

Or would I be better off purchasing the 35 or 50mm prime instead? And keeping the Sony lens.

Won't be in a position to purchase any lenses after this for quite a while. So trying to see which way forward is the best way.

Be surprised if the cost to change into the Tamron will be so little. The f/4 lens is poorly regarded and can be bought very cheaply. The Tamron isn’t bad, supposedly much better than the f/4 lens. The 35mm f/1.8 is very good. The 50mm f/1.8 is pretty poor.

I like primes and there's now the 35, 55 and 85mm f1.8's to choose from but if you don't need the wider aperture you could go for a macro to give you something different, if you fancy a macro. If you're leaning towards the zooms I'd rather have a f2.8 zoom than an f4 one.

Back