The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

That's pretty much what we did it although I will never use the 28-75mm, my missus uses it though but only for the first dance. Guess it serves as a useful back up.

I have to agree, I looked at my LR library to find photos that the Canon 24-70L was last used at a wedding and it was at least 3 years ago. I was adapting the 16-35L to the Sony for the 16mm end but never adapted the 24-70 once.

It is a good back up, if the 35, 50 or 85mm dies I will need those focal lengths covered.

I have to agree, I looked at my LR library to find photos that the Canon 24-70L was last used at a wedding and it was at least 3 years ago. I was adapting the 16-35L to the Sony for the 16mm end but never adapted the 24-70 once.

It is a good back up, if the 35, 50 or 85mm dies I will need those focal lengths covered.

Yep. I just posted this in another thread but this is our current set up for most weddings. Anything we don't need to hand stays in the car.

Getting ready:
Me: 2 x Sony A7III, Sony 24mm f/1.4 GM and a 55mm f/1.8
Wife: 2 x Sony A7III, Sony 35mm f/1.8 and an 85mm f/1.8
Bag: Accessories, spare batteries, cards etc. 2 x LED Video lights, 2 X flash's Sony 90mm Macro, Tamron 17-28 f/2.8, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 (probably shouldn't bring the flash's, can't think of a single time they have been used)

Ceremony:
Me: 2 x A7III, Sigma Art 35mmm f/1.4 and a Sony 85mm f/1.4GM
Wife: 2 x A7III, Sony 24mm f/1.4GM and a Sony 55mm f/1.8
Bag: Accessories, spare batteries, cards etc. 2 x LED video lights, 4 x Flash's, Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sony 135mm f/1.8 GM, Sony 70-200 F/4 (Flash's only ever used sometimes for church ceremonies for the signing which is sometimes in a tiny room with no window light. Would never use during the ceremony itself).

Portraits:
Wife: 2 x A7III, Sony 24mm f/1.4GM and a Sony 135MM f/1.8GM
Bag: Accessories, spare batteries, cards etc. Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8
Lighting bag (Only if weather is bad and we need to shoot everything indoors) 2 x stands, 2 x Godox AD200, Triggers and modifiers.

Speeches:
Bag: Accessories, spare batteries, cards etc. Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8

Dancing:
Me: 2 x A7III, Sigma Art 35mmm f/1.4 and a Sony 24mm f/1.4GM, 2 x Godox V350s
Wife: 2 x A7III, Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, 2 x Godox v350s
Lighting bag: 2 x stands, 2 x Godox AD200, Triggers and modifiers, 2 x LED video lights (99% of the time we don't bother with this)

City centre weddings:
These can often be a bit of a pain as most of the time we have to park far away from the ceremony and reception venues so we need to be a lot more pragmatic about what gear we bring.

Bag: Accessories, spare batteries, cards etc. 2 x LED video lights, 4 x Godox V350s, Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8, Tamron 28-75mm

In terms of carrying the camera's we each use 2 x Peak Design Slide straps which are different colours. That way if I need a camera with a different lens from her or she needs a camera with a different lens from me we can just shout red, blue, grey or black.

The other week I shot a wedding for a friend by myself, I brought 2 x A7III's, Sony 24mm f/1.4GM, a Sony 55mmm f/1.8, kept spare batteries, cards and a flash in my jacket pocket, didn't even bring a bag. Didn't miss having all the other stuff at all.

Yep. I just posted this in another thread but this is our current set up for most weddings. Anything we don't need to hand stays in the car.

Getting ready:
Me: 2 x Sony A7III, Sony 24mm f/1.4 GM and a 55mm f/1.8
Wife: 2 x Sony A7III, Sony 35mm f/1.8 and an 85mm f/1.8
Bag: Accessories, spare batteries, cards etc. 2 x LED Video lights, 2 X flash's Sony 90mm Macro, Tamron 17-28 f/2.8, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 (probably shouldn't bring the flash's, can't think of a single time they have been used)

Ceremony:
Bag: Accessories, spare batteries, cards etc. 2 x LED video lights, 4 x Flash's, Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sony 135mm f/1.8 GM, Sony 70-200 F/4 (Flash's only ever used sometimes for church ceremonies for the signing which is sometimes in a tiny room with no window light. Would never use during the ceremony itself).

Portraits:
Lighting bag (Only if weather is bad and we need to shoot everything indoors) 2 x stands, 2 x Godox AD200, Triggers and modifiers.

Speeches:

Dancing:
Me: 2 x A7III, Sigma Art 35mmm f/1.4 and a Sony 24mm f/1.4GM, 2 x Godox V350s
Wife: 2 x A7III, Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, 2 x Godox v350s
Lighting bag: 2 x stands, 2 x Godox AD200, Triggers and modifiers, 2 x LED video lights (99% of the time we don't bother with this)

City centre weddings:
These can often be a bit of a pain as most of the time we have to park far away from the ceremony and reception venues so we need to be a lot more pragmatic about what gear we bring.

Bag: Accessories, spare batteries, cards etc. 2 x LED video lights, 4 x Godox V350s, Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8, Tamron 28-75mm

In terms of carrying the camera's we each use 2 x Peak Design Slide straps which are different colours. That way if I need a camera with a different lens from her or she needs a camera with a different lens from me we can just shout red, blue, grey or black.

The other week I shot a wedding for a friend by myself, I brought 2 x A7III's, Sony 24mm f/1.4GM, a Sony 55mmm f/1.8, kept spare batteries, cards and a flash in my jacket pocket, didn't even bring a bag. Didn't miss having all the other stuff at all.

Very informative post, thanks.
I'm also thinking of switching from the 24-70 & 70-200 to a 35 & 85 combo but worried as I'm used to have the zoom in my hands and not my in my feet :)

How/when do you use the video lights if you don't mind me asking?

Very informative post, thanks.
I'm also thinking of switching from the 24-70 & 70-200 to a 35 & 85 combo but worried as I'm used to have the zoom in my hands and not my in my feet :)

How/when do you use the video lights if you don't mind me asking?

We just use them as a fill light when needed. They are handy sometimes for getting ready. For example when there is no where but a window to hang dresses which means no light coming through the window we use the video lights. We just find them handier than grabbing flash's. We don't use them that much but they are handy to have in the bag for when they are needed.

Amason just pushed back the release date of the FE 35mm 1.8 by a week to 20 September.. let’s see if that one sticks.

Amason just pushed back the release date of the FE 35mm 1.8 by a week to 20 September.. let’s see if that one sticks.

Eh? That lens has been available for a while now.

It's a good enough lens and the close focus ability is a nice bonus.

Ken Rockwell on the Leica M9...

https://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/m9.htm

"Quick test: can you set your f/stop, shutter speed and focus with your eyes closed? You can on the LEICA. Each setting on every LEICA has its own full-time dedicated ring, each of which have only one fixed position for each setting. The LEICA photographer can focus simply by feeling the position of the focus lever for a given distance, and likewise can set f/stop and shutter speed by feel."

Well. There you go then. You buy a Leica and you don't even need to look at your subject.

As Mrs Brown might say, feckin eejit.

Last edited:
When my Wife first got Brendan (our horse) her aim was to one day compete at Chilham One Day Event. Despite a turbulent year she made her goal a reality and I was so proud! It wasn't the biggest of classes, but with 200+ competitors there, it was busy and noisy. Something neither of them have experienced before and despite the serious nerves they managed to make it through the day.

Was a long long day that started with a 7am alarm and a 9pm back home time. Was well worth it though!

Just noticed that the quality of the below look even worse on here than flickr by quite a way. That site seems to be getting worse and worse.

So we started with the dressage - the arena was a far bit away so heavy crop!

Chilham One Day Event (1) by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

But she rememberd the test and the face says it all!

Chilham One Day Event (2) by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Nice view too!

Chilham One Day Event (3) by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Then there was a bit of time to relax and change before the show jumping:

Chilham One Day Event (4) by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

And finally another change for the Cross Country:

Chilham One Day Event (5) by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Chilham One Day Event (6) by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

And then it was all over and they had finished all three phases!

Chilham One Day Event (7) by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Overall a great day, and although limited by where you could stand to take photos, we have the whole day photographed!

Apologies for the long post!

Last edited:
@JJ! ..... It’s not always about having the correct lens with you, the fact you have recorded the event and the obvious joy and satisfaction shown on your wife’s face makes the pictures forever keepers, Glad you both enjoyed the day,

Ken Rockwell on the Leica M9...

https://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/m9.htm

"Quick test: can you set your f/stop, shutter speed and focus with your eyes closed? You can on the LEICA. Each setting on every LEICA has its own full-time dedicated ring, each of which have only one fixed position for each setting. The LEICA photographer can focus simply by feeling the position of the focus lever for a given distance, and likewise can set f/stop and shutter speed by feel."

Well. There you go then. You buy a Leica and you don't even need to look at your subject.

As Mrs Brown might say, feckin eejit.

Strange post in the Sony thread but then why doesn't that surprise me? Anything goes, right? :)

Where does the article suggest you don't need to look at your subject? From what I read, he's merely saying that you can set the aperture, shutter speed and focus distance by "feel" without looking at the dials or screen.

Last edited:
I've cancelled mine. If the 24GM is anything to go by, we'll be waiting a long time for Amazon.
I don't even need this lens. I am not sure why I haven't cancelled it. I guess I am just curious to know if I'll really get it on 20th lol

Strange post in the Sony thread but then why doesn't that surprise me? Anything goes, right? :)

Where does the article suggest you don't need to look at your subject? From what I read, he's merely saying that you can set the aperture, shutter speed and focus distance by "feel" without looking at the dials or screen.
I see nothing gets past you other than ken asking if you can focus with your eyes closed :D

Anyone know any places that have the Sony 200-600 in stock or getting regular shipments?

Just in the middle of editing the first wedding I brought my recently purchased 135GM along too.

Jesus, this thing is gonna have to get used more its absolutely outstanding. :oops: :$

I expected it to be pretty great but its far better than I expected.

Just in the middle of editing the first wedding I brought my recently purchased 135GM along too.

Jesus, this thing is gonna have to get used more its absolutely outstanding. :oops: :$

apparently its the best lens ever :D

Anyone know any places that have the Sony 200-600 in stock or getting regular shipments?

I know there is quite a waiting list for these in many places. Your best bet for getting one sooner than later is contacting multiple stores (LCE has quite a number of them for example) and asking where on the queue you'd end up.

I am rather annoyed by the lack of comms on my order and I have asked LCE to step up their comms. They have started forwarding me emails between them and their supplier. They also promised to contact some Sony reps and get them to start answering for the poor service.

Last edited:

What’s the opposite to council house prime?

I know there is quite a waiting list for these in many places. Your best bet for getting one sooner than later is contacting multiple stores (LCE has quite a number of them for example) and asking where on the queue you'd end up.

I am rather annoyed by the lack of comms on my order and I have asked LCE to step up their comms. They have started forwarding me emails between them and their supplier. They also promised to contact some Sony reps and get them to start answering for the poor service.

You still waiting for your 200-600mm delivery? :eek:

That's a big saving in size (and hopefully weight) for dropping to 180 rather than 200 at the long end.
If the IQ is reasonable it could sell well.

Thing is though most people that want this type of lens will use it mostly at the long end so losing 20mm at the long end would be a big disadvantage for a lot of people. Losing at the shorter end wouldn’t be as big an issue probably.

Anyway it will probably like the other 2 lenses be pretty decent for the money.

Thing is though most people that want this type of lens will use it mostly at the long end so losing 20mm at the long end would be a big disadvantage for a lot of people. Losing at the shorter end wouldn’t be as big an issue probably.

Agree with this. I use mine lots at 200 but rarely at 70.

Indeed but if it's around the same size and bulk as 70-200mm f4 at lower cost I think people would prefer this just as they preferred the 28-75/2.8 over the 24-70/4 despite lacking 24mm wide end.

It's quite clear they don't intend to compete wth the GM lenses. I imagine the other 3 primes will compete with Sony's non-GM primes.

Last edited:

Agree with this. I use mine lots at 200 but rarely at 70.

Is it actually going to mater that much?

Don’t Most 70-200 lenses have breathing issues, the Nikon vr2 was supposedly only 160mm at times.

If they get away with none I can’t see it being an issue

Indeed but if it's around the same size and bulk as 70-200mm f4 at lower cost I think people would prefer this just as they preferred the 28-75/2.8 over the 24-70/4 despite lacking 24mm wide end.

It's quite clear they don't intend to compete wth the GM lenses. I imagine the other 3 primes will compete with Sony's non-GM primes.

They are competing with GM lenses......

Many people are taking the Tamron over the GM lenses. Mainly due to cost, size and weight.

I'm disappointed with 180mm at the long end, really thought they'd do 75-210mm. Looks like I'll be keeping my Canon 70-200L f/4 for a while yet, which is no hardship.

Back