The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

They are competing with GM lenses......

Many people are taking the Tamron over the GM lenses. Mainly due to cost, size and weight.

i don't see that as competing with GM. i for example would never buy the 24-70GM because of size regardless of existence of alternative tamron.
People who are going to buy GM will buy GM they won't settle for tamrons.

i don't see that as competing with GM. i for example would never buy the 24-70GM because of size regardless of existence of alternative tamron.
People who are going to buy GM will buy GM they won't settle for tamrons.

Two people on this forum have purchased the 17-28 instead of the GM, as a direct alternative. I purchased the 28-75 instead of the GM.

For people who need 2.8 they are 100% rivalling GM.

Two people on this forum have purchased the 17-28 instead of the GM, as a direct alternative. I purchased the 28-75 instead of the GM.

For people who need 2.8 they are 100% rivalling GM.

The two people who bought it also said they barely use the lens and they never bought the GM which had been in production for fair while and probably would never have.

The question is if the 28-75mm didn't exist would you buy the GM.

Think they rival lower cost Sony lenses more so than GM lenses. Like the F4 zooms.

Last edited:
I had the 1st Canon 16-35L, it’s the mk1 when I started my photography journey. It has softer corners and compared to modern 16-35mm but I got it for the 2.8. That is the most important thing for me, the softer corners was never enough of a reason alone for me to upgrade as it wasn't my main lens and for its purpose. I would have picked the Sigma 12-24/2.8 but that is £500 more expensive and I never needed to go that wide.

I was virtually "forced" into choosing the GM 24-70 over the Tamron 28-75 by market forces. Last year I was looking to completely divest myself of my Oly m4/3 Pro lenses. They represented a significant investment for me and I had a great many of them. No matter how I tried I could not sell them privately. Wex and MPB offered me derisory amounts and I finally went into the Jessops branch where I began my Sony journey.

The Tamron was there of course and so was the GM. If I chose to go down the Tamron route then the amounts offered in P/ex were only slightly better than I had been offered. If I went the GM route then a magic wonderland of opportunity suddenly opened up in front of me.
The basic amounts offered for my m4/3 lenses suddenly became stratospheric and there was suddenly a managers special offered to me but the clincher was a 10% p/ex bonus that suddenly appeared that very instant I walked in the door.

I felt I was choking with so much gold being stuffed into my mouth, in the end the GM was only a matter of a few hundred pounds extra so I walked out into the high street with a glorious extra 4mm in focal length at the wide end and a red badge.
I still don't understand retail economics like that to this day.

I was virtually "forced" into choosing the GM 24-70 over the Tamron 28-75 by market forces. Last year I was looking to completely divest myself of my Oly m4/3 Pro lenses. They represented a significant investment for me and I had a great many of them. No matter how I tried I could not sell them privately. Wex and MPB offered me derisory amounts and I finally went into the Jessops branch where I began my Sony journey.

The Tamron was there of course and so was the GM. If I chose to go down the Tamron route then the amounts offered in P/ex were only slightly better than I had been offered. If I went the GM route then a magic wonderland of opportunity suddenly opened up in front of me.
The basic amounts offered for my m4/3 lenses suddenly became stratospheric and there was suddenly a managers special offered to me but the clincher was a 10% p/ex bonus that suddenly appeared that very instant I walked in the door.

I felt I was choking with so much gold being stuffed into my mouth, in the end the GM was only a matter of a few hundred pounds extra so I walked out into the high street with a glorious extra 4mm in focal length at the wide end and a red badge.
I still don't understand retail economics like that to this day.

There is 1 reason I would go GM/L.

Resale cost when it comes to sell. Like it or not, the GM/L holds their value better. If you get it a used one in good condition, then it represents excellent value for money when you come to sell it, even to a shop. They will pay 50-60% of retail. I got almost £490 for my 24-70L mk1 with a £850 new purchase price, whereas the Sigma 50Art I got £340, which I paid like $1000 for when it was launched in 2014 and I imported it from B&H, plus I had to pay like £200 tax. I think it worked out to about £800 in 2014.

Anyway, GM/L stuff holds value better, however, if you are buying new for both, you are paying more to begin with and that does saving does not translate. So....buy used if you can!

There is 1 reason I would go GM/L.

Resale cost when it comes to sell. Like it or not, the GM/L holds their value better. If you get it a used one in good condition, then it represents excellent value for money when you come to sell it, even to a shop. They will pay 50-60% of retail. I got almost £490 for my 24-70L mk1 with a £850 new purchase price, whereas the Sigma 50Art I got £340, which I paid like $1000 for when it was launched in 2014 and I imported it from B&H, plus I had to pay like £200 tax. I think it worked out to about £800 in 2014.

Anyway, GM/L stuff holds value better, however, if you are buying new for both, you are paying more to begin with and that does saving does not translate. So....buy used if you can!

I don't think that is true really only works in your situation because you way over paid for the Sigma 50mm.

They pretty much give around 50-60% of new price as a trade in regardless of brand.

So for example say you bought the Zeiss 35 f/1.4 at a U.K new price of £1344 they would give you around £806 as a trade in (They won't it's prob a bad example as these lenses due to all the issues have very poor resale/trade in value)

Or as an alternative you buy the Siggy 35 f/1.4 at a U.K new price of £629 and they offer a trade in value of £370.

On the Zeiss you have lost £538

On the Sigma you have lost £259

Just on those Zeiss lenses do you know how much it costs to fix the issues with them? :oops: :$

70029184_10157476528484709_6488181161607561216_o.jpg

I don't think that is true really only works in your situation because you way over paid for the Sigma 50mm.

They pretty much give around 50-60% of new price as a trade in regardless of brand.

So for example say you bought the Zeiss 35 f/1.4 at a U.K new price of £1344 they would give you around £806 as a trade in (They won't it's prob a bad example as these lenses due to all the issues have very poor resale/trade in value)

Or as an alternative you buy the Siggy 35 f/1.4 at a U.K new price of £629 and they offer a trade in value of £370.

On the Zeiss you have lost £538

On the Sigma you have lost £259

Just on those Zeiss lenses do you know how much it costs to fix the issues with them? :oops: :$

View attachment 254928

Put that through insurance under lens repair and pay £50 excess :p

Everyone seen the new iphone camera specs?

I much prefer cameras but a decent phone camera is nice to blend in with the masses or for the times when you don't have a camera. I'm waiting to compare the newer samsung I was given to my 1", mft and A7 cameras :D

Raymond, if you want that filter I need an address to send it to. If you're sorted and don't need it it'll go back in the box until it's needed.

Raymond, if you want that filter I need an address to send it to.If you're sorted and don.t need it it'll go back in the box until it's needed.

Oh yes please, sorry the last 48hours have been insane, I was either driving or shooting non-stop. Will PM you now.

I much prefer cameras but a decent phone camera is nice to blend in with the masses or for the times when you don't have a camera. I'm waiting to compare the newer samsung I was given to my 1", mft and A7 cameras :D

Yup, think I may treat myself to one.

Costs far too much for a phone.
if they stopped marking up the prices with a 500% margin I'd be more interested
then again I greatly dislike iOS and find it unusable so I'd never buy one anyway lol :p

Last edited:
I don't know how much it is, I'll have to look.

I've never owned an apple product. mrs ww has an iphone but I think it's an older one and she constantly pesters me to get a new phone but I have no interest other than I'd like one with a decent camera. They're common in my family though, lots of apple phones and tablets.

Last edited:
I don't know how much it is, I'll have to look.

I've never owned an apple product. mrs ww has an iphone but I think it's an older one and she constantly pesters me to get a new phone but I have no interest other than I'd like one with a decent camera. They're common in my family though, lots of apple phones and tablets.

New flagship phones from any of the major players like Samsung or Apple is £1k+ now. Apple will charge £1k for the BASE model flagship, the new one is £1049 i think?

The best value currently is the XR or XS.

Insurance won't cover that fault as it's an inherinent flaw with the lens design and can't be caused by accidental damage.

Did you try to claim?

If it is a design flaw then get Sony to pay for it. If Sony tell you it is not a design flaw then you would have that in writing to pass to the insurance that it is broken, that the lens element has shifted?

Last edited:
New flagship phones from any of the major players like Samsung or Apple is £1k+ now. Apple will charge £1k for the BASE model flagship, the new one is £1049 i think?

The best value currently is the XR or XS.

If the older model XS allows video recording at using both cameras (two streams) then I'll just pick the old one up. But I don't think it will though :confused:

Are you lot talking about the Sony 35mm f1.4 and the decentering issues?

If you are I think it's been pretty widely known that this lens is adjusted with shims which will always be more prone to variation in production and set up as it's a manual process and things like this can be expected to lead to variation issues unless they're very well controlled and sadly often they're not done or controlled anywhere near well enough. I can't see how this can be a design fault as such as it looks more like either too much variation in components leading to remedial work being needed or an attempt at achieving higher optical performance that isn't carried out consistantly or well enough. If insurance wont cover any repair consumer rights should put you in a good position unless the maker can say it's in spec and with lenses of this cost I can't see that being the case as the specs would need to be too wide for a product at this point in the market. A cheap superzoom on a compact or bridge could maybe / possibly get away with having a wide sample variation but a higher end prime lens?

Did you try to claim?

If it is a design flaw then get Sony to pay for it. If Sony tell you it is not a design flaw then you would have that in writing to pass to the insurance that it is broken, that the lens element has shifted?

It isn't my lens it's another photographers.

Sony will fix if it's under warranty and it's a U.K lens, for that guy the lens was bought from e-infin so Sony won't fix it. He is trying to get e-infin to sort it out.

Are you lot talking about the Sony 35mm f1.4 and the decentering issues?

If you are I think it's been pretty widely known that this lens is adjusted with shims which will always be more prone to variation in production and set up as it's a manual process and things like this can be expected to lead to variation issues unless they're very well controlled and sadly often they're not done or controlled anywhere near well enough. I can't see how this can be a design fault as such as it looks more like either too much variation in components leading to remedial work being needed or an attempt at achieving higher optical performance that isn't carried out consistantly or well enough. If insurance wont cover any repair consumer rights should put you in a good position unless the maker can say it's in spec and with lenses of this cost I can't see that being the case as the specs would need to be too wide for a product at this point in the market. A cheap superzoom on a compact or bridge could maybe / possibly get away with having a wide sample variation but a higher end prime lens?

There are 2 very common faults with this lens, when I say common in a few of the wedding photographer groups on Facebook they have said that every one of these is affected to some degree.

One of the faults is the decentering issue the other is that if you shoot the lens into the sun there is a large blob similar to flare but not like normal flare appears right in the centre of every image. Sony are well aware of both issues and there is a bit of a campaign going on trying to get them to recall them all.

If you look around eBay etc. you will see a ton of these for sale because of these 2 problems and no one is buying for the same reason. The weird thing is that both of these problems can develop over time and aren't always apparent straight out of the box.

wow that tamron is soooo small. not sure how i feel about it being "only"180mm though. was really hoping for a standard 70-200 f2.8

It's not like either would be great for wildlife on FF though, nothing in it really if it means a much more compact design. Could be a cracking street lens

Last edited:
It's not like either would be great for wildlife on FF though, nothing in it really if it means a much more compact design. Could be a cracking street lens

i think its a decent range for most things. can't justify the cost of the gm though, sadly.

Sony will fix if it's under warranty and it's a U.K lens, for that guy the lens was bought from e-infin so Sony won't fix it. He is trying to get e-infin to sort it out.

There are 2 very common faults with this lens, when I say common in a few of the wedding photographer groups on Facebook they have said that every one of these is affected to some degree.

One of the faults is the decentering issue the other is that if you shoot the lens into the sun there is a large blob similar to flare but not like normal flare appears right in the centre of every image. Sony are well aware of both issues and there is a bit of a campaign going on trying to get them to recall them all.

If you look around eBay etc. you will see a ton of these for sale because of these 2 problems and no one is buying for the same reason. The weird thing is that both of these problems can develop over time and aren't always apparent straight out of the box.
I don't know what causes these issues but I'd love to walk into Sony with a remit to sort it out :D I'd be amazed if they don't know what causes these things and what it would take to fix both. We'd probably take the view that they should do a redesign, call it mk2 and offer replacements or at least a generous trade in to problem 35mm f1.4 owners but it really can come down to someone not wanting to admit they've cocked it up and higher management not wanting to impose anything on the otherwise well regarded person or team. I've seen this in the UK with one manufacturer dropping a product when all it really needed was a mod but they wouldn't admit it could be fixed by an outsider... even one they'd brought in and would rather just drop it which is what they did.

Last edited:

I guess they will still fix it for him if he pays the large bill.

I'm waiting for reviews and telling myself I don't want or need one.

Me too, although initial impressions look favourable. I'm particularly interested because of its compact size but not sure about the focal length yet.

I have one 45mm f2, a Minolta Rokkor. The focal length is ok and the bokeh is adequate, nice actually, this Sigma is f2.8 though. I have the Sony 55mm f1.8 so a 45mm f2.8 doesn't really make sense but I can't help wanting one because it looks compact and it looks nice :D

I also have a Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 but it's mf and a bit chunky.

Last edited:
The £54 for an estimate is an absolute joke.

Think with Nikon you just had to pay the postage if you didn’t want it done.

Yep it is a bit of a p*** take that.

It is weird that they are so expensive for lens repairs yet for camera bodies thay are really cheap with a fixed rate price of £250.

Anyone using or tried the Sigma 45mm f/2.8?

Apart from better build quality and better close focusing, is it really worth the extra dosh over the Samyang 45 1.8? - which is brighter, lighter and a fair bit cheaper

As I ask, I'm thinking I probably would pay more for both of those attributes, but then it's getting up more toward the Sony 35 1.8 price region, which also can focus in nice and close

Back