The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Is that your video? if so hope you enjoyed your time in St. Davids :)

not mine but I have been to St. David's and its really great :)

In May I stayed over at the St. David's YMCA for a day before going to Skomer island. I took a walk around the area and whitesands. really nice place, I will go back again next spring/summer.

Been thinking about an 85, particularly with the ebay 10% offer. Chanced on a handy Dustin Abbott review of all the FE mount 85s: https://dustinabbott.net/2019/08/sony-fe-85mm-f1-8-review/

It may be 'council house' but based on my experience with the Sammy 50 f1.4, I'd probably pick either the Samyang or the Viltrox lenses, especially since Amazon have the Viltrox for £320 & I can just send it back if it sucks. I'm very tempted by the focus reliability & slightly better micro-contrast of the FE 50 1.8 (only a few quid more, grey) but not so keen on the busy bokeh & CA. The Sammy 85 f1.4 would be nicer, but they haven't come down in price, & I don't really want to spend £600 on a lens that will get occasional use for portraits.

There is mint FE85/1.8 on camera jungle and with "SEPT20" offer code you can get it for just under £380

Cheaper new on eBay with the 10% off.
Not interested in grey imports in general.
There is a used one which you can get for £358 after discount.
£20 extra gives you a boxed copy with 12 months warranty.

Just had a camera error on the screen of one of the A7IIIs. It said to power off and power back on the camera. Tried that with the on/off switch but it wouldn't turn off and on, then took the battery out and put it back in.

Camera worked fine but the first shot taken with it you can see the shutter at the bottom of the image, happened for one shot just. Hasn't done it since and I've fired off about another 100 odd shots, all diff FPS etc.

Heading to a wedding here and have maximum paranoia

Just had a camera error on the screen of one of the A7IIIs. It said to power off and power back on the camera. Tried that with the on/off switch but it wouldn't turn off and on, then took the battery out and put it back in.

Camera worked fine but the first shot taken with it you can see the shutter at the bottom of the image, happened for one shot just. Hasn't done it since and I've fired off about another 100 odd shots, all diff FPS etc.

All fingers crossed for you.

Might be wise to keep the use of that body to the minimum for todays wedding and see how it goes.

Could well have just been a glitch and nothing to worry about.

You could always just stick it on electronic shutter if you are really worried about it.

If the shutter was knackered you wouldn't have been able to take the 100 odd shots after. It either works or it doesn't.

Just came into my head there that a while back someone on Facebook mentioned a similar problem and it was a battery issue that caused the problem as it was out of whack, voltage etc. so could have just been that. From memory they were using a third party battery.

Last edited:
Might be wise to keep the use of that body to the minimum for todays wedding and see how it goes.

Could well have just been a glitch and nothing to worry about.

You could always just stick it on electronic shutter if you are really worried about it.

If the shutter was knackered you wouldn't have been able to take the 100 odd shots after. It either works or it doesn't.

Just came into my head there that a while back someone on Facebook mentioned a similar problem and it was a battery issue that caused the problem as it was out of whack, voltage etc. so could have just been that. From memory they were using a third party battery.

Yeah man, fired off another few hundred there and its grand. Fingers crossed it was the battery but I had a genuine one in

Still under warranty but I've 3 weddings in the next 2 weeks and reluctant to send it off !

Cheers for the advice dude

Yeah man, fired off another few hundred there and its grand. Fingers crossed it was the battery but I had a genuine one in

Still under warranty but I've 3 weddings in the next 2 weeks and reluctant to send it off !

Cheers for the advice dude

Could be just a glitch, hopefully it will be grand.

Curious about Sony Pro Servicing.

Can you only get eligible equipment repaired? So if I have 8 retail purchased eligible products and a handful of secondhand kit, can I still get them to service the second hand kit under the same service levels?

Can you only get eligible equipment repaired? So if I have 8 retail purchased eligible products and a handful of secondhand kit, can I still get them to service the second hand kit under the same service levels?

They will only do pro support I.e timescales on registered kit. They will let you register second hand gear but it would need to have been purchased from a U.K retailer, and they will ask for proof of purchase. Obviously you pay for the repair on the used stuff and anything that’s out of U.K warranty.

I think you have to be a working pro too. Nikon used to do a scheme where you got pro membership if you had enough ‘pro’ equipment but I don’t think Sony do a scheme like that.

I think you have to be a working pro too. Nikon used to do a scheme where you got pro membership if you had enough ‘pro’ equipment but I don’t think Sony do a scheme like that.

Yes, that’s right when they register you have to provide them with your business details, website etc plus 3 recent client invoices.

Yes, that’s right when they register you have to provide them with your business details, website etc plus 3 recent client invoices.

Do I sign on the box next to Applied or just type it in? and Put UK at the bottom box?

NTxP67J.png

Its been a while since I did mine but pretty sure I just put U.K in the second box and my name in the first.

Thanks, and If i recall correctly, you got yours even though you only have A73 right? How many copy receipt for jobs did you include?

Thanks, and If i recall correctly, you got yours even though you only have A73 right? How many copy receipt for jobs did you include?

Yeah I registered with 4 x A7III’s and a few lenses. They asked me for 3 client invoices that where dated within the last 3 months from memory. After you submit the details they will contact you by email with the details they want.

Hello,

Just about to push the button on a flash trigger, it's between the X1T-S or the Pro S. first question, Is it worth paying the extra for the Pro version? Secondly, hoping you can help me out on this, I know the trigger can fire any strobe/studio lighting made by Godox.

Can you attach a non Sony flash (TT685N) onto the hotshoe and use it on camera?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello,

Just about to push the button on a flash trigger, it's between the X1T-S or the Pro S. first question, Is it worth paying the extra for the Pro version? Secondly, hoping you can help me out on this, I know the trigger can fire any strobe/studio lighting made by Godox.

Thank you.

The pro trigger is easier to change settings and the display helps a lot. Well worth the extra money in my opinion.

Either trigger will let you control any of the other Godox products.

You can't mount and use a Nikon mount flash on camera as the pins are different. You could mount a trigger and use it to control the TT685N and put it on a bracket a stand or handhold it etc.

I guess you could mount the TT685N on the X1T-S if you chose that option. Best option would be to sell it though and get a Sony version if you need an on camera flash.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thank you.

685’s on camera are a bit big imo. I still have two Nikon versions which I’ve used for ocf but TTL doesn’t work, they’re only consistent in manual. The X1 is ok for a cheap option but the pro is better providing you don’t want to mount a flash on board too.
Personally I just use a tt350 on camera to control the ocf. You can switch it off easy enough and it all works easily. The 350 is the ideal size.

I still have two Nikon versions which I’ve used for ocf but TTL doesn’t work.

Personally I just use a tt350 on camera to control the ocf. You can switch it off easy enough and it all works easily. The 350 is the ideal size.

Does the TTL not work even with the trigger?

By purchasing the 350, I then have an on camera flash and also a trigger to shoot the 685? Is the 350 powerful enough for group photos etc?

Last edited:
Does the TTL not work even with the trigger?

By purchasing the 350, I then have an on camera flash and also a trigger to shoot the 685? Is the 350 powerful enough for group photos etc?

Nope it’s really inconsistent. The 350 is surprisingly good. I measured a stop less than a 685 so more than up to the job. Depends how big your group is and light though of course. Only use mine indoors for either fill or dancefloor stuff.

I quite like the look of those Geekster 35mm f1.1's, they look like the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4's. It's a shame they're APS-C.

Just toying with the idea of ditching all my DSLR's and going down the the Sony route, though finding it a bit of a steep learning curve!

Does anyone know if the new A7iv can shoot at a reduced MP size and still be FF? I'd almost certainly have to upgrade my computer to process the files at any kind of speed otherwise and I don't need 60mp TBH, thanks

Just toying with the idea of ditching all my DSLR's and going down the the Sony route, though finding it a bit of a steep learning curve!

Does anyone know if the new A7iv can shoot at a reduced MP size and still be FF? I'd almost certainly have to upgrade my computer to process the files at any kind of speed otherwise and I don't need 60mp TBH, thanks

No it can’t, it’s one of the reasons I didn’t buy one myself. You can use it in APSC crop mode at reduced file size but obviously that is just the same as cropping in post and you won’t be using all of the sensor.

I am holding out for the A9II which is supposed to be 36 million pixels. Storage is cheap but after hearing from another guy who has a couple of A7RIV and after shooting a wedding filled a hard drive storage isn’t cheap enough.

Last edited:

if you want automatic downsampling in camera, not as far as I know. If you don't need that many pixels then why not go for the A9 which can now be had cheaper than A7RIV

not mine but I have been to St. David's and its really great :)

In May I stayed over at the St. David's YMCA for a day before going to Skomer island. I took a walk around the area and whitesands. really nice place, I will go back again next spring/summer.

Oki Doki. Glad you enjoyed it, I'm heading down to Whitesands for sunset tonight if the weather stays as forecast :)

No it can’t, it’s one of the reasons I didn’t buy one myself. You can use it in APSC crop mode at reduced file size but obviously that is just the same as cropping in post and you won’t be using all of the sensor.

I am holding out for the A9II which is supposed to be 36 million pixels. Storage is cheap but after hearing from another guy who has a couple of A7RIV and after shooting a wedding filled a hard drive storage isn’t cheap enough.

Yes I did see that, but no idea when it'll be out yet?

if you want automatic downsampling in camera, not as far as I know. If you don't need that many pixels then why not go for the A9 which can now be had cheaper than A7RIV

Yes I'm now erring on the A9, just wondering if its really worth £1k more than the A7iii for my needs.

Yes I'm now erring on the A9, just wondering if its really worth £1k more than the A7iii for my needs.

I'm mainly a hobbyist with a few paid jobs on the side. I have the A7 III, but I kind of regret not stretching myself and getting the A9. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the A7 III, but I have gotten into some nature and bird in flight photography and the A9 is on another level for fast tracking focus. I may get an A9 if the A9II release seriously effects the A9 price, otherwise I'll happily keep the A7III.

Back