The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I am surprised at just how big the lenses are compared to their DSLR equivalent, I'd imagined them to be smaller. The 50mm's are huge compared to DSLR 50mm's, what's that all about?
Which 50mm are you comparing?

The main weight saving is made with UWA lenses on mirrorless

The sony 50mm 1.4 and the Nikon 50mm 1.4 the Sony is almost 3x the weight and double the length. Just seems at odds with such a small body.

It's different optics design, its like comparing Canon 50/1.4 vs Sigma 1.4 Art. They are both DSLR and both different sizes.

The sony 50mm 1.4 and the Nikon 50mm 1.4 the Sony is almost 3x the weight and double the length. Just seems at odds with such a small body.

How old a design is the Nikon?

When I had DSLR's I had the Sigma 50mm f1.4 non Art one, the Arts weren't out then. If the Nikon is of the same era as the Sigma I had I wouldn't be surprised if it's smaller than the newer Art and GM class lenses but we have to remember that these newer Art / GM class lenses give a different level of performance, they're technically better than just about anything smaller and lighter that's gone before them.

as mentioned above and Sony is much better lens.

There are plenty smaller lenses too for the system. But if you want large, fast, really sharp lenses that's available too. So you have the option to go both ways which is not present with DSLRs :)

I had a play with my 35mm lenses today to see how the Sony f1.8 bokeh compares. I tried the Sony f1.8 and f2.8, Voigtlander f1.4, Rokkor f1.8 MD and f2.8 MC, Zuiko f2.8, FD f2.8 and Nippon Kogaku f2.8.

I shot a target about 1m away with stuff in the mid distance to much further away from wide open to f5.6. At f4 all were pretty much the same and I had to nit pick differences at f2.8. Of the Voigtlander 1.4 (which does f1.7 rather than f1.8,) the Sony f1.8 and Rokkor f1.8 the Sony was a tad smoother and the Voigtlander a tad wilder but I'm really nit picking. I'm going to try again with more objects in the foreground.

Other than that of the Sony f1.8 and f2.8 and the Voigtlander the Sony f1.8 had the most Vignetting at f2.8 but IMO it's not significant at all and is honestly hardly there really and is well within the range CS5 will easily correct at f1.8.

I'll look at this more when I get time but so far I haven't changed my mind and I still think that ca and optical nasties are mostly insignificant until you start pixel peeping and bokeh is IMO pretty much what I'd expect from a reasonably priced and reasonably sized 35mm f1.8, not to 55mm f1.8 standards but that's 55mm and doesn't focus anywhere near as close.

If anyone is interested I'll post the pictures but what I'd really like to see is the Sony 35mm f1.8 compared to a modern f1.4 like the Art or GM at f1.8.

Last edited:
as mentioned above and Sony is much better lens.

There are plenty smaller lenses too for the system. But if you want large, fast, really sharp lenses that's available too. So you have the option to go both ways which is not present with DSLRs :)

The Sony 55mm f1.8 springs to mind :D

Managed to get a quick 20 minutes in my lunch break yesterday with the Samyangb 18mm. For the price it’s not a bad lens and I just wanted something a bit wider than my tamron 28-75 for architecture. There is quite a bit of vignetting and no lightroom profile yet. It is prone to flare in the sun and the hood is useless. For how much I will use it it’s enough for me to pay so I can’t grumble.48833599667_0f85da98be_o.jpg48833058698_00af16dea3_o.jpg48833059183_2af8293962_o.jpg

Nice indeed, wonder if it will be a big step up from the A9 or more of a evolutionary update.
The A9 was a game changer when it was first announced.
Will Sony surprise us with a radically new sensor or more advanced AF system?

Looking forward to seeing the specs on this, I bought the a7r4 instead of the a9 as the mK II was rumored it may well be another great game changer camera
Rob.

Looking forward to seeing the specs on this, I bought the a7r4 instead of the a9 as the mK II was rumored it may well be another great game changer camera
Rob.
if you want to sell the A7RIV i am sure it won't be hard ;)

I heard it'll be a toy as it's too small for a mans hands but it'll also actually be pointless as it's the size of a DSLR. Oh, and the messy menu will render it unusable and people wont even be able to turn it on and anyway the Fuji's are better, everyone knows that.

PS. And the lenses are too expensive.

I don't see the A9II being a game changer tbh just like the A7RIV wasn't. I expect it will be just an evolution of the older camera. A bump in resolution, evf from the A7RIV etc.

I was 100% sold on getting the A9II but at an expected price of around 5k, I am still considering my options. I have the money sat aside for it, but I have spent big money on bodies before only to regret it later on down the line.

Being able to buy an A7RIII and an A9 brand new for less money than one A9II is also appealing.

Last edited:
Im not too good with menus but youtube is your friend and a great help as some of the guys explain in detail how it all works and can put you on the right path as to how to set Sony's up . Mark Smith and Tony Northrup ,
Rob

I think i paid 6k for my 1dxmkII so 5k is a reasonable price ,my main interest is bif I don't think i would go for these high end cameras other wise as there are lots of great cameras far cheaper that do a great job .
Rob.

I think i paid 6k for my 1dxmkII so 5k is a reasonable price ,my main interest is bif I don't think i would go for these high end cameras other wise as there are lots of great cameras far cheaper that do a great job .
Rob.

how are you finding A7RIV in relation to your canon for BiF?

Although I won't be buying this, thought someone might be interest in the Tokin 20mm f2 MF which appears to be on offer here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N0OT...de=df0&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B01N0OT5LT

That really does look nice and from the reviews I've read it's a very good lens. It's cheaper and faster than the Voigtlander and less than £50 more than the 18mm f2.8 Samyang... Very tempting and a shame the af one is over £600 on Amazon and £799 at other sellers.

how are you finding A7RIV in relation to your canon for BiF?
Its a close call but i do think I get more in focus I think this is due to the new AF tec new cameras keep getting, each upgrade just seems to bring a bit more to the table not only in speed but accuracy .
One thing mirror less brings is the silent shutter this helps a lot as at times the birds come closer rather than vear off at the shutter noise .
Rob.

I don't see the A9II being a game changer tbh just like the A7RIV wasn't. I expect it will be just an evolution of the older camera. A bump in resolution, evf from the A7RIV etc.

I'm expecting the same.

Being able to buy an A7RIII and an A9 brand new for less money than one A9II is also appealing.

Just imagine what bargains will be available with used A9's.

I was 100% sold on getting the A9II but at an expected price of around 5k, I am still considering my options. I have the money sat aside for it, but I have spent big money on bodies before only to regret it later on down the line.

For me an evolution is fine, the A7RIV was an evolution of the iii but was at the point where I was happy with it, I just didn’t like using the iii at all.

Now the A9 was the best of the old bunch but still a few things that annoyed me. Provided that the A9ii corrects many of them, and I’m sure it will basis having the A7RIV body and updated evf etc then that’s good enough (ohh and I hope they drop SD Cards in favour of XQD or something).

I’ll always need 2 bodies and if the A9ii is good enough I’ll sell off more of my Nikon gear to compensate as I’d rather use one system (although I’m not planning on selling my Fuji system which is just a handy/fun but if I find it’s not getting used I’ll just keep an x100-f)

Last edited:
Well Sonyrumours are now saying it will be a hush hush announcement of the A9ii in a couple of hours. They also have 1 source saying spec is almost the same as current A9...

https://www.dpreview.com/news/14625...refined-design-and-more-pro-oriented-features

The biggest changes on the a9 II are targeted toward those who make a living taking photographs and need to deliver large numbers of them quickly. Some of the new features include Gigabit Ethernet, 5GHz (802.11ac) Wi-Fi, background FTP transfer and voice memos. The camera can store up to ten sets of both FTP and camera settings, which is helpful when sharing the a9 II with multiple photographers.
The a9 II will be available soon for $4500. The a9 will continue to be sold as a more accessible model - at least for now.

so expect it to be around £4500

Yeah, it's almost like Canon level upgrade...but it's still really good value, it makes the current one a bargain.

After seeing that, I think A7R3 for £1600 a month or so ago would've been amazing....should have bought one for sensor.

I find it very odd that they didn't upgrade the EVF

Back