The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Ooh noes the A9II looks a bit crap. :(

What happened to the 36 mp's etc.

Very disappointing. I can see now why they moved the announcement forward given the rumours about specs.

I find it very odd that they didn't upgrade the EVF

Apparently due to the 120fps refresh rate of the existing EVF, which the new one does support.

Very disappointing. I can see now why they moved the announcement forward given the rumours about specs.

Apparently due to the 120fps refresh rate of the existing EVF, which the new one does support.
SO why not wait until its possible to do 120fps refresh rate at the 5mp evf?

The A9 did not need updating just for the sake of updating.

It was already a brilliant camera ahead of its time. They could have took much longer to introduce the mk2 version with the following:

36mp sensor

xqd or uhs 3 dual card slots

5+mp evf 120fps

4k 60fps video

S LOG

24Fps Electronic shooting

Well that is pretty pathetic, it really isn't an A9ii it's barely an A9i.5

So pretty much none of the rumoured spec was right apart from the one a couple of hours ago saying it was the same as the A9.

I was all ready to pre-order but now I'm having to think, an extra £3k for a better ergonomics, lol

Oh dear. The Sony A9 MK1.1 :ROFLMAO:

Sony have pulled a Canon lol. Tbh it was never on my radar the new A9, I also doubt this will push the cost of the current A9 down any at all.

When an A9 brand new on grey import is £2.2k this new one is a hard sell for everyone but those that need the networking features.

Why would u get the mk2 over the mk1 if starting from scratch?

Is sony losing its thunder?

Now i kinda prey and hope canikon pushes out a far better sports camera then this for there mirrorless lineup

I can understand this approach for say their RX100 range but it seems a little odd for the A9 as it's such a large amount of money you can't casually upgrade, not a consumer device of course but that's got to be a decent chunk of sales lost.

Only logic I can see behind it is they're a lot cheaper to manufacture?

It's actually a laughable upgrade man, doesn't even get the new EVF :ROFLMAO:

I am actually raging. :mad:

Surely this one will be a huge flop?

All you are really getting is the 2 x UHSII, the anti ficker and the contrast detect a.f points (which to be fair really did need an upgrade).

Sad as it is I am proper gutted, the rumoured specs would have suited me perfectly.

All you are really getting is the 2 x UHSII, the anti ficker and the contrast detect a.f points (which to be fair really did need an upgrade).

Sad as it is I am proper gutted, the rumoured specs would have suited me perfectly.
I think it may be a flop

I can see this upgrade appealing to a particular group of togs, but not our typical British working pros. This is the A9 for the connected, and these mods are probably easier and cheaper to engineer in than the rumoured upgrades or global shutter.

From rumoured site:

Sony has established a consistent track record for model releases.

1. New model with groundbreaking design and features.
2. Fix the beta issues in the first model.
3. Actual upgrade.
4. Upgrade no one asked for.

Last edited:
Sony has established a consistent track record for model releases.

1. New model with groundbreaking design and features.
2. Fix the beta issues in the first model.
3. Actual upgrade.
4. Upgrade no one asked for.

Nice copy and paste from the rumours page bro. Lol

Who would’ve guessed the same week Canon fixes and improves its Eye-AF, Sony brings out something new that does less than a firmware upgrade.

Time to go back to Canon :p

Looks like Sony cocked up with this one. I'm glad though, saves me some money. Unless this is a teaser and the real unveil is an A9R with everything we wished for! Yes, I'll keep dreaming :D

Who would’ve guessed the same week Canon fixes and improves its Eye-AF, Sony brings out something new that does less than a firmware upgrade.

Time to go back to Canon :p

The lack of f1.2 primes must be killing you inside :D

I think your all being a little harsh, I mean the Sony A9 with the latest firmware already bests the competition so I guess Sony felt that they didn't need to push further ahead of both Nikon and Canon yet....... they are just giving the professional crowd what they have asked for.... I bet they asked all their professional photographers what they wanted most in the next A9 and probably very little complained about the current A9's AF or resolution / IQ etc.
I am glad its not a massive change and it still makes the Sony A9 a very relevant body for non professionals like myself. :D

Well This is not good, im happy with my a7r4 200/600 set up but really hoped the a9 mkII would be even more remarkable -it isn't at all and im not sure I want to buy a a9 thats a few years old.
May just buy the Olympus 150/400 when it's out for my EM1X .
Rob.

£4799.
Ouch.
Still competitive compared to its rivals when you take into consideration price vs performance.
If I recall correctly, the A9 was £4499 when released, so its only a marginal increase given that the £ isn't as good as it used to be.

Well This is not good, im happy with my a7r4 200/600 set up but really hoped the a9 mkII would be even more remarkable -it isn't at all and im not sure I want to buy a a9 thats a few years old.
May just buy the Olympus 150/400 when it's out for my EM1X .
Rob.

But the A9 is sub £3k.

Still competitive compared to its rivals when you take into consideration price vs performance.
If I recall correctly, the A9 was £4499 when released, so its only a marginal increase given that the £ isn't as good as it used to be.

The problem is the difference in price between this and the original A9 which are pretty much the same.

The problem is the difference in price between this and the original A9 which are pretty much the same.
Your right, £3399 vs £4799.
I think the A9 II is firmly aimed at the professionals who needed these extra features to help the move to Sony perhaps?
The smart buy would be the Sony A9... same AF system, same resolution etc.
Maybe Sony have a killer firmware upgrade planned for the A9 II, who knows. :)

Same here, I'm really happy with the A7RIV but wanted the A9II to be my wildlife/sports camera and although I wasn't expecting the rumoured 36MP I was expecting an increase, I was expecting more FPS and I was certainly expecting a new EVF.

I'm sure Canon and Nikon will sleep a lot better tonight.

Your right, £3399 vs £4799.
I think the A9 II is firmly aimed at the professionals who needed these extra features to help the move to Sony perhaps?
The smart buy would be the Sony A9... same AF system, same resolution etc.
Maybe Sony have a killer firmware upgrade planned for the A9 II, who knows. :)

I'm sure the A9II will have firmware upgrades like the A9 did but that isn't going to improve the EVF or MP. Sony are relying too much on their AF as a selling point now and grinding to a halt with the other stuff.

Can you imagine if Canon releases a dual UHS-II, 1D level mirrorless in Photokina with their new eye-AF firmware?

Then again....it will be like £6k, and £3k for a L-glass....a bit rich for me!

Can you imagine if Canon releases a dual UHS-II, 1D level mirrorless in Photokina with their new eye-AF firmware?

Then again....it will be like £6k, and £3k for a L-glass....a bit rich for me!

I'd buy it TBH although I'd prefer it to be a Nikon :)

Same here, I'm really happy with the A7RIV but wanted the A9II to be my wildlife/sports camera and although I wasn't expecting the rumoured 36MP I was expecting an increase, I was expecting more FPS and I was certainly expecting a new EVF.

I'm sure Canon and Nikon will sleep a lot better tonight.

How are you finding the a.f accuracy with the A7RIV?

it reviews quite poorly.

It seems to me that it's being launched with professionals and specifically the Olympics next year in mind to try to get a share of that market dominated by Canon. I'm not in the market for one anyway, so I'll keep using my A73. I think that the future A74 will have much more value for money and features when it is eventually launched. I can't see that the new A92 has any worthwhile upgrades for the normal consumer original A9 owner.... same sensor, same screen, no touchscreen functionality! … BUT … It does get the coloured focus box! :banana:

How are you finding the a.f accuracy with the A7RIV?

it reviews quite poorly.

Actually I'm finding it pretty good, better than the A7RIII was for sure. It's not A9 speed but I was testing it with the 200-600 last night and quite impressed with tracking and accuracy. I know TN mentioned in his video that it would sometimes miss focus in eye AF (focus on eye lashes) but I haven't really noticed that.

Back