The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I'm sat here with nothing to do for an hour so I've been checking prices of film era primes on evil bay and Golly Gosh even though prices can be all over the place in general they seem to have gone up and by quite a bit! I've just checked what 50mm f1.4 and f1.2's are up and going for and nearly fell out of my chair. Even 50mm f1.8's are looking healthy. I thought the introduction of Nikon and Canon mirrorless cameras might push prices up and maybe that's what's driving it or maybe mirrorless in general but for whatever reason the days of bargain film era primes seem to be rapidly coming to an end.

I was toying with the idea of selling some lenses to help fund something new but I'll probably end up just keeping everything and buying more :D

I'm sat here with nothing to do for an hour so I've been checking prices of film era primes on evil bay and Golly Gosh even though prices can be all over the place in general they seem to have gone up and by quite a bit! I've just checked what 50mm f1.4 and f1.2's are up an going for and nearly fell out of my chair. Even 50mm f1.8's are looking healthy. I thought the introduction of Nikon and Canon mirrorless cameras might push prices up and maybe that's what's driving it or maybe mirrorless in general but for whatever reason the days of bargain film era primes seem to be rapidly coming to an end.

I was toying with the idea of selling some lenses to help fund something new but I'll probably end up just keeping everything and buying more :D
Get an a9mk2

Get an a9mk2

I'm all over it. Any minute now. Honest :D

I was thinking about the Voigtlander 50mm f1.2 or the upcoming APO Lanthar f2 which could be very nice. I wish they'd do a lanthar 35mm though. I do like the classic f1.4 as it's pretty sharp and tiny but the bokeh can be funky and a slightly larger but tamer lanthar might be very nice.

I thought the introduction of Nikon and Canon mirrorless cameras might push prices up and maybe that's what's driving it or maybe mirrorless in general but for whatever reason the days of bargain film era primes seem to be rapidly coming to an end.

Pretty sure it's all the 'born again' film users that have pushed up the price of film kit - wish I'd picked up a few cameras & lenses when they were peanuts a few years back.

I'll swap you an appreciating film era 50mm f1.8 for it :D

Enjoy! :D

And I hope you'll post what you think of it.

There's a Sony mount Voigtlander 15mm f4.5 for sale in the classifieds.

Finally got some Kingfisher shots I am actually happy with.
Shot with 200-600mm+1.4x on a fully overcast day. But the images cleaned up nicely :D
Tracking AF is nonexistent with the combo (on A7RIII) but AF-S/DMF still works fairly well

48860342168_8a4d43a52f_b.jpg

48861008632_b4eefa60ff_b.jpg

48860811281_8b8e835991_b.jpg

Last edited:
On the Sigma front...

From what I've read and the examples I've seen the 45mm f2.8 looks nice and seems to be a very good lens with the only problem being focus issues in continuous focus mode. Sigma are aware I hope they can sort this out, hopefully with a firmware update.

That looks lovely.

Dunno about printing. I'll print any file to any size and I haven't been disappointed yet, I only go to A3 though :D

One thing you could do is print a section of an A2 sized picture to A4 and view it however you want. That would give you some indication of A2 quality without using A2 paper and ink.

Aye, has a flaw with video and I was using it for that too. Sigma blames Sony from the reply I got after about a month.

Amazing lens for stills albeit fairly large ha

mmmmm. I’m not bothered about video so it’s a possible. Size also not an issue as I hate tiny lenses.

That looks lovely.

Dunno about printing. I'll print any file to any size and I haven't been disappointed yet, I only go to A3 though :D

One thing you could do is print a section of an A2 sized picture to A4 and view it however you want. That would give you some indication of A2 quality without using A2 paper and ink.
Thanks and yea may do.

mmmmm. I’m not bothered about video so it’s a possible. Size also not an issue as I hate tiny lenses.

Then you have the ultimate, golden unicorn 35. Nothing else touches it, incredible optics and built like a tank

The minute the video issue is fixed I will be buying it again. I've never seen a lens as sharp, amazing on skin tones too

Last edited by a moderator:
Might sell the Zeiss and get the Sigma and the FE....

If you want the best then this is it Raymond. The performance at 1.2 is crazy, looks like it's been stopped down a few stops it's that sharp.

People say the bokeh isnt much different and they're right, but see when taking a portrait the skin and look is vastly better with that extra bit of blur. Insanely good lens that I'll buy once the video issue is fixed

Then you have the ultimate, golden unicorn 35. Nothing else touches it, incredible optics and built like a tank

The minute the video issue is fixed I will be buying it again. I've never seen a lens as sharp, amazing on skin tones too

Wonderful. Thank you.

If you want the best then this is it Raymond. The performance at 1.2 is crazy, looks like it's been stopped down a few stops it's that sharp.

People say the bokeh isnt much different and they're right, but see when taking a portrait the skin and look is vastly better with that extra bit of blur. Insanely good lens that I'll buy once the video issue is fixed

I do miss my 1.2…not really concern with video really, I bought a DJI Pocket for that :D

Personal, not work!

Back