The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

They may not be easier to make but I'd be surprised if it's as difficult as you're suggesting. As to price point. Prices of newer lenses are generally higher for a number or reasons including the simple fact that they're newer and the development costs need to be recouped plus 24mm lenses will possibly sell in lower numbers than some others. Why do you think there are so many 50mm f1.8's about from just about every manufacturer?

As I mentioned earlier if Sigma could make a decent 20 and 24mm f1.8 10 years ago or more I don't see why it's suddenly become so difficult and it wasn't so long ago that someone here, I forget who, was suggesting something similar about a 35mm f1.8 being difficult to do despite just about everyone making one at some point. I'm not saying it'll happen, maybe they wont sell enough to make it worthwhile or maybe they'll protect the existing line up but I just don't see the technical barriers to it that you do.

Both of those lenses where crap.

I didn't it was a huge issue to make a 24mm I said it was more difficult, this is just a fact, more difficult to manufacturer always makes a lens more expensive. It's not exactly rocket science.

I doubt having 28mp and 30 fps are the only features which make a difference.... what about AF, Silent black-out free shooting, Body size and connectivity features etc?
If it has a mechanical shutter which is capable of 30 fps it will be progress......

28mp vs 24mp isn't a big jump, nor is 30fps from 20fps. It looks like Canon are just chasing numbers as marketing bragging rights.
I am expecting a big advancement in their AF system... better than the A9 / A9 II?
Lets wait and see.... ;)

It matters not that it has 30fps, the sensor is still crap. It will likely have loads of limitations to get too 30fps as well.

It matters not that it has 30fps, the sensor is still crap. It will likely have loads of limitations to get too 30fps as well.
Probably but the professionals will stick to what they know best...... Nikon D6 and Canon 1Dx III.
Sony have to work very hard to get these old school users over to the Mirrorless way of thinking.
I still remember my old Nikon D7000 and Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8 setup, ahhhh those were the days. :D

Probably but the professionals will stick to what they know best...... Nikon D6 and Canon 1Dx III.
Sony have to work very hard to get these old school users over to the Mirrorless way of thinking.
I still remember my old Nikon D7000 and Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8 setup, ahhhh those were the days. :D

it makes very little sense for sports shooters to switch over. its not so much a case of people being old school, but are probably heavily invested in glass for nikon and canon already. very little point in switching. its still all Canikon at live sports events.

it makes very little sense for sports shooters to switch over. its not so much a case of people being old school, but are probably heavily invested in glass for nikon and canon already. very little point in switching. its still all Canikon at live sports events.
The only was Sony might be able to steal Nikon and Canon users is to offer them higher trade in prices for the existing kit or even do a straight swap for key high profile sports / famous photographers?
They can then get them on-board as Ambassadors and market the hell out of them! :D Others may follow.....

Sonys goal was to be no.1 in the 2020 Olympics.
If they win over Nikon's share that's quite a good result.

I don’t see that happening some of these guys have the best part of 50-60k tied up in glass alone.

im still yet to see any mirrorless at football, rugby, boxing etc.

i guess a real benefit of mirrorless would be at snooker, golf, chess? where a silent shutter would have a genuine benefit.

im still yet to see any mirrorless at football, rugby, boxing etc.

i guess a real benefit of mirrorless would be at snooker, golf, chess? where a silent shutter would have a genuine benefit.

Rarely see them at equestrian either. Which is odd as the silent shutter helps loads.

Mirrorless is still new technology compared to DSLR’s, it’ll take time for people to understand the advantage and adopt.
The same can be said for electric vehicles vs fossil fuel vehicles.
I’ve adopted both lol .... it’s the future.

Mirrorless is still new technology compared to DSLR’s, it’ll take time for people to understand the advantage and adopt.
The same can be said for electric vehicles vs fossil fuel vehicles.
I’ve adopted both lol .... it’s the future.

I would rather petrol bomb my car and get the bus than run about in one of those stupid electric cars.

Perhaps the sports photographers feel similar about mirrorless.

I would rather petrol bomb my car and get the bus than run about in one of those stupid electric cars.

Perhaps the sports photographers feel similar about mirrorless.

And this is my point, some feel just as strongly about mirrorless :)
EV’s are the future, just a question on when you’ll become in the minority with how you feel.
DSLR’s are heading the same way as fossil fuel motor vehicles...... just like the dinosaurs..... extinction. :D

New car today (Seat Leon Cupra 290 DSG), slightly overprocessed photo, taken with Zeiss Flektogon 35mm f/2.4

DSC08367 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr
Superb quality Ant, great photo editing skills there, the foreground in this is superb, a nice tight crop of the car -- superb..!!

Is the Zeiss Flektogon 35mm f/2.4 lens hard to source and find I wonder..? What kind of money do they fetch Ant..?

Regards;
Peter

Last edited:
Superb quality Ant, great photo editing skills there, the foreground in this is superb, a nice tight crop of the car -- superb..!!

Is the Zeiss Flektogon 35mm f/2.4 lens hard to source and find I wonder..? What kind of money do they fetch Ant..?

Regards;
Peter

Thanks Peter, it's a very good lens, probably my favourite 'classic' lens that I own. They are in good supply, prices range from £100-£250 dependant on condition/luck.

There's an interesting little piece on Steve Huffs site by a guy who uses film and produced a handout to give to people who asked what he was up to and what's all this about film...

https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2019/10/07/the-joy-and-beauty-of-film-photography-by-dirk-dom/

It's a quick read and I enjoyed it :D and a couple of things struck me, firstly unrolling the film to check if there's any pictures on it before you load it into the camera seems an entirely practical and sensible thing to do and I also thought a handout would be nice for those of us who are occasionally informed we're weirdos or paedophiles for carrying a camera or told we're breaking the law by on the ball security guards when taking pictures in town.

I don't think I have any film left but I'll check and if I do I'll see if there are any pictures on it.

I have about 20 rolls in the freezer from 20 years ago.

Some shot, some "new". It will cost me a couple of hundred to see them....just cba.

And this is my point, some feel just as strongly about mirrorless :)
EV’s are the future, just a question on when you’ll become in the minority with how you feel.
DSLR’s are heading the same way as fossil fuel motor vehicles...... just like the dinosaurs..... extinction. :D

It is very unlikely to happen in my lifetime, and if it did I have no issue being in a minority better to be a wolf than a sheep.

Depending on who you speak to, which EV brand & model....... the main things seem to be battery range and / or cost of a EV. :)

I don't think the cost comes into it really.

A car for me needs to feel like a car, I want to hear the noise, I want to feel the heat and the smell.

I have no interest in them at all and will never buy one.

Then again they aren't aimed at me, one of my cars is a 1978 Ford Capri 3.0S and my daily driver is just a Honda Civic. Even just as a daily run about I wouldn't have an electric car.

It is very unlikely to happen in my lifetime, and if it did I have no issue being in a minority better to be a wolf than a sheep.

I don't think the cost comes into it really.

A car for me needs to feel like a car, I want to hear the noise, I want to feel the heat and the smell.

I have no interest in them at all and will never buy one.

Then again they aren't aimed at me, one of my cars is a 1978 Ford Capri 3.0S and my daily driver is just a Honda Civic. Even just as a daily run about I wouldn't have an electric car.
Climate change!

Climate change!

Me not having an electric car won't effect climate change, so I don't care.

Also bearing in mind how electric is produced in the U.K and the extra electric needed to run electric cars, thay are actually potentially more damaging than a real car.

Last edited:

Also bearing in mind how electric is produced in the U.K and the extra electric needed to run electric cars, thay are actually potentially more damaging than a real car.
Yea but if the plants get transformed to be more green then electric cars are viable for sure.

I've said this in another forum but we either all get on board and do it or where all dead in 100 years.

Don't you care about your kids and there future kids generation?

I'm worried about the move to electric cars on so many grounds... the infrastructure, the practicalities of charging, the range and the timeframes involved and the real environmental impact of producing, powering and eventually disposing of them. All that and the fact that an electric car as they exist now would never ever have been an option in my professional or personal life to date. They may be ok for the relatively well off in London and other metropolitan areas but in others they're nowhere near being practical for many people, IMO.

Back when I worked end of life was a part of it (mostly for the BMW supply chain) and at the time it bored and frustrated the bezesus out of me but now I'd really love to see what the manufacturers and suppliers are saying on the subject as I'd guess that a lot of it is pure fantasy. Just my guess :D

Last edited:
Yea but if the plants get transformed to be more green then electric cars are viable for sure.

I've said this in another forum but we either all get on board and do it or where all dead in 100 years.

Did Greta tell you this ? Utter nonsense propoganda BS lol

Unlikely that this will happen any time soon or possibly even in my lifetime.

Off course I care about my kids, but in 100 years my kids will be long gone, everyone I know will be long gone. I don't care about future generations or the very long term. A comet could run off course and destroy the whole planet tomorrow morning. Donald Trump could nuke everyone on the planet on a whim next week because he has fallen out with someone on twitter. I would rather concern myself with issues that will effect me and my family right now. Even at a local level there is more to worry about in regards to my family than climate change.

With the Brexit issues rumbling along, paramiltary groups on both sides here are growing numbers every day, we could potentially be heading for all out civil war here, thats of much bigger concern to me than climate change. The world won't end in my lifetime or in my kid's lifetime due to climate change, that is good enough for me.

I live in a "city" but its one of the smallest in the U.K. This week alone there has been 3 attempted child abductions, including outside a school my daughter attends, it's only Thursday.

Hard core drugs like Heroin are all over the place in my little city. I took my kids to the local park to walk the dogs a couple of nights ago and their was guy shooting up at the entrance to the park. There was another girl shooting up when we got to the little play park area. Because of this crime has increased dramatically, there are 52 houses in the street I live in. In just over a month there has been 6 houses burgled.

Last month one of the local paramiltary groups petrol bombed my next door neighbours car, a couple of weeks before that I was standing in my back garden having a smoke before heading to bed and seen 4 guys put all the windows of his house in. They all had handguns.

I could go on and on, I worry about this stuff much more than climate change.

One person deciding not to have an electric car will make zero difference to climate change. I don't believe for one minute that even if every single person in the world ditched their cars for the electric abortions that it would make even a small dent, car pollution is only a very small part of the climate change problem.

Last edited:

Just on this and untentioned consequences. As we move to having ever more generating points such as solar, wind and all the rest there's been an explosion in switchgear... or rather the gas that's used to lessen the likelihood of an explosion in the switchgear is now used in much higher quantities and is escaping into the outside world and it is, so they say, one of the worst substances for climate change.

I agree with doing what we can to lessen the effect we have on the planet. Climate change has always occurred and possibly will always occur even if we as a species have no effect what so ever on the planet but we should do what we can to make sure it's not down to us. With the tech we currently have this will however involve much bigger changes in the way our societies operate than changing to electric transport and I don't think even the most committed extinction rebellion activist really realises that and I do wonder what would happen if any government said "My Gosh! You're right! We're going to do everything that we can NOW!" I think there'd be a revolution.

Last edited:
This is a totally different topic so I will keep it short.

Electric cars - unless battery tech changes, I would not be buying one, I can’t imagine getting into a car to see 50% charge and 100miles only to drop to 10% after 10 min drive and then stops completely at the next red light. Know that too well from old phones. That alone makes them owning one out right a silly idea.

That is besides the infrastructure, or charging points or saving the planet. Besides, all those dead and old battery, how are they disposing of them? The carbon footprint in making and disposing of them must be huge! The metals for them are not infinite either, sunlight may be, but not the materials for the battery. I am all for electric but there are a lot of drawbacks people are not talking or even thinking about.

I will probably lease something like a Honda E, then keep my C30 T5 side by side. Petrol cars won’t die out, like vinyl hasn’t died. There are too many petrol heads, mechanics and enthusiast out there, at minimum there will be a market for it as a hobby.

Unlikely that this will happen any time soon or possibly even in my lifetime.

Off course I care about my kids, but in 100 years my kids will be long gone, everyone I know will be long gone. I don't care about future generations or the very long term. A comet could run off course and destroy the whole planet tomorrow morning. Donald Trump could nuke everyone on the planet on a whim next week because he has fallen out with someone on twitter. I would rather concern myself with issues that will effect me and my family right now. Even at a local level there is more to worry about in regards to my family than climate change.

With the Brexit issues rumbling along, paramiltary groups on both sides here are growing numbers every day, we could potentially be heading for all out civil war here, thats of much bigger concern to me than climate change. The world won't end in my lifetime or in my kid's lifetime due to climate change, that is good enough for me.

I live in a "city" but its one of the smallest in the U.K. This week alone there has been 3 attempted child abductions, including outside a school my daughter attends, it's only Thursday.

Hard core drugs like Heroin are all over the place in my little city. I took my kids to the local park to walk the dogs a couple of nights ago and their was guy shooting up at the entrance to the park. There was another girl shooting up when we got to the little play park area. Because of this crime has increased dramatically, there are 52 houses in the street I live in. In just over a month there has been 6 houses burgled.

Last month one of the local paramiltary groups petrol bombed my next door neighbours car, a couple of weeks before that I was standing in my back garden having a smoke before heading to bed and seen 4 guys put all the windows of his house in. They all had handguns.

I could go on and on, I worry about this stuff much more than climate change.

One person deciding not to have an electric car will make zero difference to climate change. I don't believe for what one mimute that even if every single person in the world ditched their cars for the electric abortions that it would make even a small dent, car pollution is only a very small part of the climate change problem.

Jesus man that's mental, some craziness in there. Watch this for the lolz (could also probably apply it to Eco Jonny LOL)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1RbgGB1Q3s&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR1F4Osj-PFlIdVbgz7pJKgvtzm2S0DHvN3aIiMBRLetaVPsueXjvRSw0QE

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a totally different topic so I will keep it short.

Electric cars - unless battery tech changes, I would not be buying one, I can’t imagine getting into a car to see 50% charge and 100miles only to drop to 10% after 10 min drive and then stops completely at the next red light. Know that too well from old phones. That alone makes them owning one out right a silly idea.

That is besides the infrastructure, or charging points or saving the planet. Besides, all those dead and old battery, how are they disposing of them? The carbon footprint in making and disposing of them must be huge! The metals for them are not infinite either, sunlight may be, but not the materials for the battery. I am all for electric but there are a lot of drawbacks people are not talking or even thinking about.

I will probably lease something like a Honda E, then keep my C30 T5 side by side. Petrol cars won’t die out, like vinyl hasn’t died. There are too many petrol heads, mechanics and enthusiast out there, at minimum there will be a market for it as a hobby.

There was a piece on the beeb recently about India and they had battery swap stations which take no longer than petrol stations. You just drive in and the attendant slides the flat battery out and slides a new on in. Brilliant. This of course means we'd need batteries that can be easily slid in and out and possibly with some standard fittings with the only difference being power rating for different classes of vehicle.

One thing I read which I haven't attempted to check was that the world doesn't have all of the rare and exotic stuff that goes into batteries to provide what would need to replace all of the worlds cars with battery powered ones. If that's true then why are we going down this path? Are we banking on being able to mine Mars?

There was a piece on the beeb recently about India and they had battery swap stations which take no longer than petrol stations. You just drive in and the attendant slides the flat battery out and slides a new on in. Brilliant. This of course means we'd need batteries that can be easily slid in and out and possibly with some standard fittings with the only difference being power rating for different classes of vehicle.

One thing I read which I haven't attempted to check was that the world doesn't have all of the rare and exotic stuff that goes into batteries to provide what would need to replace all of the worlds cars with battery powered ones. If that's true then why are we going down this path? Are we banking on being able to mine Mars?

The change to electric vehicles I honestly believe will have zero impact on climate change.

It probably sounds a bit conspiracy theory but I honestly believe that governments are pushing this so that they can take power and finance away from the oil producing countries.

Jesus man that's mental, some craziness in there. Watch this for the lolz (could also probably apply it to Eco Jonny LOL)...

Brilliant! And exactly how I feel :D

One thing that I often think is that many people commenting are almost completely ignorant and misinformed and yet they talk with such conviction and authority. I think that maybe a level of IQ and knowledge should be a requirement but there are lots of intelligent well informed people talking crap too.

Back