The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Even a f2.8 prime can offer at least one advantage as it'll almost certainly be smaller than a zoom.

I'll have a think but I might just stick with the film era wide angle primes I have now. They're old and crappy and slow and wont be as good as a modern lens though.

Yeah but as soon as you buy couple of them you might as well have got the zoom. The 17-28mm isn't exactly big or heavy ;)

Saw this on another forum and might benefit someone here:
"
Currently, you can stack a pretty tasty deal for UK buyers via Currys, complete with 2 year Sony UK warranty;
  • Cost price: £1763.00
  • Quidco/Curry's 15% cashback on Sony cameras (-£264.45)
  • Sony winter cashback (-£150.00)
  • Total: £1,348.55
That's a few £'s cheaper than you'll be able to grey import from anywhere!
"
i think its slightly cheaper at e-infinity but you get the point... I haven't verified the validity of this but seems legit.

Last edited:
Filters are a problem with the Sigma 12-24mm.

There's a slot at the back but I never attempted to use it and I don't know what's available to fit in it. You can leave the bucket in place and use a filter holder system but there's vignetting until something like 20mm. You could screw a filter directly to the bucket I suppose but I never tried that and I don't know at what point it'd vignette. I do know that some users just blu tack'd a filter to the front of the lens without the bucket but I can't remember how well DIY fixes like that worked. Googling might help.

The older one I had for my Canons always impressed me and for a while was my most used lens.

Even a f2.8 prime can offer at least one advantage as it'll almost certainly be smaller than a zoom.

I'll have a think but I might just stick with the film era wide angle primes I have now. They're old and crappy and slow and wont be as good as a modern lens though.

The Tamron is quite small for a zoom lens of this type it’s an internal zoom too.

Filters are a problem with the Sigma 12-24mm.

There's a slot at the back but I never attempted to use it and I don't know what's available to fit in it. You can leave the bucket in place and use a filter holder system but there's vignetting until something like 20mm. You could screw a filter directly to the bucket I suppose but I never tried that and I don't know at what point it'd vignette. I do know that some users just blu tack'd a filter to the front of the lens without the bucket but I can't remember how well DIY fixes like that worked. Googling might help.

The older one I had for my Canons always impressed me and for a while was my most used lens,

Plus it is also £550 more, not pocket change.

Also, not sure how much I need the extra 5mm, in my life I seldom thought I wanted wider when I shoot so decide to keep the Tamron. If I find myself constantly wanting wider then I would consider it.

Saw this on another forum and might benefit someone here:
"
Currently, you can stack a pretty tasty deal for UK buyers via Currys, complete with 2 year Sony UK warranty;
  • Cost price: £1763.00
  • Quidco/Curry's 15% cashback on Sony cameras (-£264.45)
  • Sony winter cashback (-£150.00)
  • Total: £1,348.55
That's a few £'s cheaper than you'll be able to grey import from anywhere!
"
i think its slightly cheaper at e-infinity but you get the point... I haven't verified the validity of this but seems legit.

A slight mistake is that Quidco/Currys only pay 15% of the price excluding VAT so the quidco cashback would be £220 (as long as it tracks and pays out)

A slight mistake is that Quidco/Currys only pay 15% of the price excluding VAT so the quidco cashback would be £220 (as long as it tracks and pays out)

I have only used Quidco couple of times and even though I had to raise a request they did eventually get it sorted with eBay and gave me the cashback.

I have only used Quidco couple of times and even though I had to raise a request they did eventually get it sorted with eBay and gave me the cashback.

I've had a few things not tracked properly from Quidco as well as Topcashback. Most have been sorted by raising a dispute and I've certainly never missed out on a large payout but it's always worth remembering that it's not 100% guaranteed.

I've had a few things not tracked properly from Quidco as well as Topcashback. Most have been sorted by raising a dispute and I've certainly never missed out on a large payout but it's always worth remembering that it's not 100% guaranteed.

indeed i think they claim a 97% tracked and paid rate.
regardless a good point to keep in mind :)

I am not buying A7III but if anyone is looking it seemed like a good deal.

it seems as per rumours the three tamron primes also have 1:2 macro close focus capability. :cool:

I just don't see the point in an f/2.8 prime lens. Yeah it's dead on for a macro where it doesn't really matter, but I would rather just have an f/2.8 zoom especially when the zooms are all so good now.

I only use prime lenses so that I can use large apertures if at some point we could some how magically get f/1.4 zoom lenses with similar performance I would ditch the primes in an instant.

Those Tamron lenses would need to be really cheap like the Samyang stuff, at least they will then be of interest then to folks on a tight budget.

Last edited:
Mmm strange one.

I was kind of expecting the colour science on the A9 not to be as good as the A7III with it being an older camera.

But it actually seems better to me, did they update it at some stage along with all of the other updates it's had?

Or maybe Lightroom handles the files better?

Mmm strange one.

I was kind of expecting the colour science on the A9 not to be as good as the A7III with it being an older camera.

But it actually seems better to me, did they update it at some stage along with all of the other updates it's had?

Or maybe Lightroom handles the files better?
Yes I think they did either in version 5 or 6

I just don't see the point in an f/2.8 prime lens. Yeah it's dead on for a macro where it doesn't really matter, but I would rather just have an f/2.8 zoom especially when the zooms are all so good now.

I only use prime lenses so that I can use large apertures if at some point we could some how magically get f/1.4 zoom lenses with similar performance I would ditch the primes in an instant.

Those Tamron lenses would need to be really cheap like the Samyang stuff, at least they will then be of interest then to folks on a tight budget.
Here's one reason...

https://camerasize.com/compact/#487.845,487.849,ha,t

Well, if it gets the job done and most normal people will make an excuse and walk away if you try and tell them Samyangs are crap.

On the subject of Sexy...

SFkTdQ4.jpg

DYhDbMV.jpg

:D

More on the Voigtlander 50mm f2...

The rumor site...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new...-may-be-the-best-performing-lens-ever-tested/

Direct to a Google translation of the review...

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.fujiya-blog.com/info/20191018/

Could this be the best 50mm to date or just one of the best?

The rumor site says "The lens is yet not available for preorder outside Japan…" I say "Oh yes it is!" and I hovered over the preorder button last night and again today. I'd probably like to buy this but I'm also tempted by the f1.2 which some think is the current best 50mm lens. I've thought of buying both but I'm trying to stop myself.

tamron stuff announced - https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/ful...our-new-tamron-fe-lenses-officially-released/

As expected all lenses have 67mm filter thread and primes are 1:2 macros. interesting design choice there. at least they doing something different, kinda....

Looks like they're squarely taking on Samyang: small prime at low-ish but higher cost but with better specifications like weather sealing, close focusing in a smallish housing. I'd have happily traded the close focus distance for an f1.8 aperture (are there legal issues over making conventional f1.8 primes for Sony?) IF I were in the market to buy a 35mm lens.

I'll have a think about what I want. I've been thinking of getting a modern wide, either a prime or a zoom, so I'll have to look at the options. I think this could be my last fe af buy but it really goes against my original plan which was to not invest too much in the Sony system and to instead limit it to a few modern af lenses and fill the gaps with film era lenses and my mft kit just in case I want to ditch the system and go a different way.

One thing I can't really see myself buying is a long zoom but other than that all that's really missing from my fe kit is a wide lens.

I'll have a think about what I want. I've been thinking of getting a modern wide, either a prime or a zoom, so I'll have to look at the options. I think this could be my last fe af buy but it really goes against my original plan which was to not invest too much in the Sony system and to instead limit it to a few modern af lenses and fill the gaps with film era lenses and my mft kit just in case I want to ditch the system and go a different way.

One thing I can't really see myself buying is a long zoom but other than that all that's really missing from my fe kit is a wide lens.

I'll buy the 70-180mm if it accepts TC.

Primes wise I am quite tempted by the 20mm with the 1:2 capability which will give an unique macro look.

It seems pretty quiet here...

Lovely day here but I'm stuck inside :(

Is there no interest here in the new Voigtlander 50mm f2?

I'm still thinking... 50mm f2? or 50mm f1.4? or just no bother?

As it's quiet. A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 do Saltburn during an hour or so free time.

Disappointingly the posting process has lead to banding in the sky not visible in the whole pictures on my pc.

Moon, dogs, dog walkers and windfarm.

wtUdSHd.jpg

Turn around and it's the same, almost deserted.

f0E3P5W.jpg

No one playing mini golf. f1.4.

xNSJ2Xh.jpg

Bokeh.

HGMWapO.jpg

Steps back to the car and back to the world.

2CVJxHz.jpg

As you know I have the 40mm but I usual reach for the 35mm f1.4 as it's so much smaller and lighter. The 40mm does perform optically better though and it gives a look which is more transparent and of course it's sharp into the corners by f5 or so which the 35mm never is.

What attracts me to the 50mm f1.2 is that it's a 50mm f1.2 and that is perhaps a significant difference to a 40mm f1.2. The 50mm f2 appeals because it'll probably be excellent and owning excellent things is nice :D

My A7RIV just arrived.

Can't even get to play with it as I need to get ready to head out for parent teacher meeting. :rolleyes:

Probably won't feel like playing with by the time I get back from that. :ROFLMAO:

My youngest is a complete rascal so expecting the meeting to be "interesting".

Will look forward to your report and how you rate it against other stuff :D

Will look forward to your report and how you rate it against other stuff :D

We have a wedding on Friday so will give it a good run over then, just so I can give it a good test.

It will be probably the only time I ever use it for a wedding as I have bought for a little side project and to be my personal camera rather than for work.

hello.. anybody here.... oh no.... they are all in the Nikon Z6 & Z7 forum :D lol

Not true, I've been mostly lurking around the fuji threads. Realised I've been using my Sony less than you use yours! Maybe time to switch to fuji again.
:D I doubt it, mine has been sat locked away for quote some time now....... with the odd use.

Back