The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I can see the lines.

*edit*

What's your light source - could it have a pulsed output that will cause this effect because of exposure time (silent shutter?).

Last edited:
Can see them here, unless you can reproduce it could be some oddity of the lighting I suppose.

Could be ES used under fluorescent lighting? it's also pretty noisey for ISO 640

f5 just refreshes the page but there was no picture when I posted so thought you were talking about the earlier pictures above.

I see it on this picture, electronic shutter banding? But it doesn't look like the banding I've seen with my Panasonics.

ive used an LED light. fired about 6 shots and they are all affected. using mechanical shutter. electronic 1st curtain is off.

@woof woof you may need a new monitor. *edit - sorry, just read your response.

Last edited:
ive used an LED light. fired about 6 shots and they are all affected. using mechanical shutter. electronic 1st curtain is off.

@woof woof you may need a new monitor.

Some kind of conflict between the LED light and shutter speed used I'd imagine, did you shoot similar images at different settings?

With bad noise and a horrible looking picture I'd normally assume some sort of artificial lighting issue.

And I got a broken lens for the wife's E-M10. :(

Her 14-42EZ zoom failed recently & I found a used replacement from MPB - first one had the same fault as ours so back it went for replacement. The new one is also faulty - won't focus on anything - but the camera works fine with the other lens we have for it. Hoping that MPB will be good & refund without trouble.

And I got a broken lens for the wife's E-M10. :(

Her 14-42EZ zoom failed recently & I found a used replacement from MPB - first one had the same fault as ours so back it went for replacement. The new one is also faulty - won't focus on anything - but the camera works fine with the other lens we have for it. Hoping that MPB will be good & refund without trouble.

I bought a used lens before that would more often than not, not communicate with the body. They did swap it no issues but did want to receive & check it over first.

I bought a used lens before that would more often than not, not communicate with the body. They did swap it no issues but did want to receive & check it over first.

I'm sure it will be fine, but this was the replacement for the first faulty one they sent - not a good record with 2 of 2 broken. :p

The more time I spend in here, the more I like what I see.
I would love to get a Sony camera, but don't have the funds to get an A7iii and 200-600mm lens.
Trying to think of a way that I could move gradually over to Sony.
I could keep my Panasonic G80 and 100-400mm for wildlife, and think about a Sony for landscapes, portraits etc.
Is the original A7 a decent camera to start my entry into Sony?
What would be a half decent lens to start with for landscapes?

I would love to get a Sony camera, but don't have the funds to get an A7iii and 200-600mm lens.
I could keep my Panasonic G80 and 100-400mm for wildlife, and think about a Sony for landscapes, portraits etc.

There are those here who'll probably say not but it does just about everything I want.

What landscape lens would depend entirely upon the sort of pictures you want to take. Some people seem to believe that landscape = 16-35mm or something like that and whilst a lens like that could be a perfectly valid choice so could a 35mm or a 200-600mm if they get you the look you want :D

There are those here who'll probably say not but it does just about everything I want.

What landscape lens would depend entirely upon the sort of pictures you want to take. Some people seem to believe that landscape = 16-35mm or something like that and whilst a lens like that could be a perfectly valid choice so could a 35mm or a 200-600mm if they get you the look you want :D
At the moment I use a m43 12-60 kit lens for most of my landscape stuff, so similar ff equivalent.
24-70 ish or 24-120

There are a few options in that range now and the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 seems to have its fans. I have the 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens as I'm not really a big user of zooms.

One way in would be to use an adapter like the LA-EA4 that will give AF with older Sony A mount lenses like the 50 f1.4 I used for that motorcycle picture. The adapter can generally be had for around £150 used, and older sony lenses are a small fraction of the cost of the FE mount equivalents. In fairness to the new lenses, they are generally much better optically and in terms of AF speed, but the older lenses like that 50 f1.4 (available used for around £150) can still take a decent picture, just like they always did. I was just looking on LCE at used lenses, and they have a Sigma 50-500 EX OS for around £400 in good condition. 24/28-70 f2.8s go for between £100 and £250.

If you wanted native mount for landscape work then the Tamron 28-70 f2.8 in FE mount goes for around £550-£600 used.

Yes, it is. If you don't need super fast AF then it is fine. The lens depends on how and what you shoot.... Mainly use a 40/1.2 but that's me. You can pick up a kit lens for under £150 easily - My kit lens, stopped down a little for your usual landscape images, is more than sharp enough. My son borrowed mine earlier in the year. Not seen it since....

Golly. I see someone here is selling their Sigma Art 35mm. It's in the for sale section now.

I know... surprising... it's such a good lens I'd imagine that anyone selling theirs would soon regret it.

Ebay has 10% of on again site wide this time on items over £100 using this discount code PROSPER10 it is only on until midnight tonight.

It is a maximum discount of only £50 though. You could though for example get the 24GM from the e-infin eBay store https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/60roadebut for £1009 which is a great price.

Back