The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Am I missing something? I can't see any compelling reason to move from Sony to either Nikon or Canon. All the systems have some nice lenses but I can't see anything in the Sony line up that's so bad that I'd want to go to Nikon to gain something significantly better.

I agree, for me there isn’t justification to move to any other brand yet as Sony lead in the FF segment.

They don’t say how many they were planning to make but at $8000 a lens I can’t see that running into huge numbers. Nikon often apologise that can’t meet demand when they release stuff. Whoever forecasts their manufacturing numbers needs to get better at it otherwise people will leave to go to manufactures who can deliver.

I agree, for me there isn’t justification to move to any other brand yet as Sony lead in the FF segment.

Maybe a switch would relight your interest in taking photos? Might inspire you to use the camera more? Sony has the tech, but clearly doesnt seem to do it for you. Just an idea.

Totally agree, big lens on a very small camera body, i compared it to the old 5Dii I've got kicking around and its weeny, I did buy the sony grip as well yesterday and thats made quite a bit of difference I can grip with my whole hand now instead of trying to 3 finger pinch it sort of thing lol.
The A7 series cameras are tiny compared to some dslrs. I came over from a D810 and the camera size difference is huge. the D810 weighed nearly 1kg without L bracket. The A7R3 comes in at just over 0.6kg which a huge difference at nearly half the weight. It’s a shame the full frame lenses can’t be reduced in size and weight but that’s down to the physics of a full frame sensor.

The lacking space for the little finger on the grip is what turned me (many others) to the small rig L bracket. For the price it’s a good L bracket, there is that extra bit of space for little finger. I knew I wanted an L bracket so the silly little Sony grip extender was out of question. I’ve had grips on a few cameras in the past but it’s the swapping between the grip and L bracket that’s a pain so this time I haven’t bought the Sony grip. I do miss the vertical shutter button at times but you get used to it not being there. I’ve recently picked up a used RRS L bracket. That’s a fantastic fit for the A7r3 and just feels like an extension of the camera. I should really put the small rig L bracket up for sale in the classifieds as it won’t get used now.

Maybe a switch would relight your interest in taking photos? Might inspire you to use the camera more? Sony has the tech, but clearly doesnt seem to do it for you. Just an idea.
I’m personally of the opposite view. Whilst I can see a short term use increase because of the switch in the long term you would just go back to not using the new camera like you are now. I think you have to work out the reason why you weren’t going out in the first place otherwise you could be throwing ££££’s at the issue time after time when £’s can’t solve the problem because it’s probably isn’t the cameras fault.

I found I wasn’t going out that much over the last few years. I worked out part of my problem was being put off going out because I would be carrying 7-8kg of camera gear (d810 & 200-400 f4 attached to tripod) and often come back with nothing. I would have stayed with Nikon had they had a lens that I could replace the 200-400 (their 80-400 isn’t supposed to be that good and they had no mirrorless equivalent so I looked elsewhere). Since moving to Sony I’ve been trying to cut down on kit. The main difference is the size difference by down sizing (that’s not particular a Sony benefit as Nikon and canon would potentially have done roughly the same). I’m now fitting the long wildlife lens (100-400) in a small shallow ICU in f stops smallest bag compared to having to take the 200-400 f4 out in the XL Pro ICU. That’s made a huge to me as I’m more likely to want to get out knowing I’m going much lighter. It’s the same in places like the lakes, I picked up a small travel tripod because with everything else the tripod was just another weight burden. I’ve kept the other tripod too so having the travel tripod that’s given me a lighter option for the trips up fells that I may have previously decided not to do. My other photography problem is that I like being out trying to take photos but dislike being sat at a computer editing. I’ve been trying to edit via lightroom mobile on an iPad, I seem to like that because you can edit anywhere.

I go through periods of going out all the time and then never for 4 months (that period is usually called summer!). I got out quite a bit recently during the deer rut but sadly didn’t get that lucky to get anything that good. My biggest hurdle to getting out for photography at present is being in a mess because of having the kitchen done and taking down a wall to open plan the kitchen, dining room and lounge. I’m hoping the benefit of having a properly designed desk/work space build into the project will help me with editing too. I hate sitting away from everything editing photo after photo so the desk will be build into a small area in the centre between all three areas.

Last edited:
I think feeling as if something was lacking and replacing perfectly good gear with more perfectly good gear and then probably feeling the same after a while would affect me. I used to do his with cars and in the end I just saw it for what it was, pretty pointless really. You get to own different stuff I suppose and life is short so why not? But the feeling of constantly chasing something and never really settling eventually makes me feel less good about everything.

They don’t say how many they were planning to make but at $8000 a lens I can’t see that running into huge numbers. Nikon often apologise that can’t meet demand when they release stuff. Whoever forecasts their manufacturing numbers needs to get better at it otherwise people will leave to go to manufactures who can deliver.
All about these mate

I think feeling as if something was lacking and replacing perfectly good gear with more perfectly good gear and then probably feeling the same after a while would affect me. I used to do his with cars and in the end I just saw it for what it was, pretty pointless really. You get to own different stuff I suppose and life is short so why not? But the feeling of constantly chasing something and never really settling eventually makes me feel less good about everything.
I like to change often, but not because I'm chasing something but just because I like change and trying something new. I change my car every 3 years, change my camera gear often etc and it gives me enjoyment, which is what it's all about (y)

Last edited:
I'm not sure I agree tbh, I think it's all part of the marketing to keep demand high. Apple have employed this technique for years and it's worked for them (y)

Last edited:
Bought the LX100ii again.
After going a full circle with various other fixed lens cameras from 1" to FF, I didn't like using any of them as much as the LX100.

Just a short and sweet thank you again everyone :), got the A7iii on wednesday with 24-105 kit lens and its absolutely awesome, traded all my canon gear in today and picked up the 70-200 so now I'm pretty much complete I kept my 85 & 50mm canon lenses and bought the MC-11 adapter and they work great, can't wait to try it out on a shoot this weekend :).
I thought those two lenses would do me but the 24-105 isn't wide enough for architecture and street portraits if space is tight (e.g. Whitby).
So got a lightly used 16-35 F4. That's become my favourite especially for video, and with APS-C mode you can still zoom in quite a bit if need be .

Cameras are just tools, he has never complained about it being unfit for him. Changing the tool is not going to change the end result or rather lack of it :p

Yeah, the Sony A9 is more camera that I need, however going to keep hold of it and try and use it more, even if it’s just shots of the kids etc.
Eye-AF comes in handy :D

Cutting edge?
They were stylish but with crap components....

They weren’t always, I’m taking back in the days of them using Phillips CRT windscreen tubes lol.
They electronics pushed the Philips screen further in IQ in their B&O Avant 32” setup.

f*** sake, is that the same one you had bother with before?

Aye man. Disaster ffs. Was meant to send it away but too many weddings on, gonna send it back to park cameras first thing Monday morning

Aye man. Disaster ffs. Was meant to send it away but too many weddings on, gonna send it back to park cameras first thing Monday morning

how long has you had it?

I must say I’ve never actually seen a shutter failed all these years on forums or myself when I shot Canon, or before Sony took over. You are making me think I should get a 3rd body.

how long has you had it?

I must say I’ve never actually seen a shutter failed all these years on forums or myself when I shot Canon, or before Sony took over. You are making me think I should get a 3rd body.

I got a 3 year warranty free from Park cameras. We got them on launch day. Pretty sure the A7IIIs are renowned for crap shutters

Last edited by a moderator:
how long has you had it?

I think you should always have a spare as we always shoot with 2 each the other camera isn’t a spare really. That’s why we now have 6 bodies between the 2 of us.

I got a 3 year warranty free from Park cameras. We got them on launch day. Pretty sure the A7IIIs are renowned for crap shutters

Glad is still under warranty as Sony have stopped the fixed price repairs so a shutter replacement will be a fair chunk of cash.

how long has you had it?

any excuse to get the A7R4 huh?
You should get an A9 as backup. Silent shutter can't jam ;)

unless when you use the ms and it does that, then you’re still gonna need it fixing to shoot again.
why would one buy an A9 to use manual shutter :p
When he absolutely needs it for flash etc he has his A7III

Last edited:
wow, that’s pretty crap to have to buy and use two other cameras just for flash.
Ray already has two A7IIIs and he wants a 3rd body which is under discussion.
You are simply picking an argument where the isn't one and antagonising for no reason.

Ray already has two A7IIIs and he wants a 3rd body which is under discussion.
You are simply picking an argument where the isn't one and antagonising for no reason.

no, you are failing to admit the same thing can happen to an a9. Shutter can’t jam, yes it can.

Last edited:
Back