The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

What about this little beast..... £99.00

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071KWZ...de=df0&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B071KWZWKZ

91d9wxVX2xL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Tried one of those too pain in the bum, half case better. Also tried the Meike version of the grip extension too.

The mere fact that it blocks the battery door means you are having to take that off regularly, that is just bad design.
Fair point..... I guess it just a after thought.... I wonder if Sony will increase the A9 III ergonomics in the future.

That looks really nice, much better than the Gariz I have seen.

I have a Gariz for my Fuji, this Lim's one is much better. For one thing, the metal bit at the base of the Gariz is a decal, it's stuck on, not a one piece to the unit. The Lim's is solid metal.

So having a think about my lens line up I could potentially swap things around in the future maybe.......

Current Setup:-
Sony A9 with battery grip
16-35mm f2.8 GM
24-70mm f2.8 GM
70-200mm f2.8 GM
1.4x TC
85mm f1.4 GM

Possible future setup in favour of primes:-
Sony A9 without battery grip
24mm f1.4 GM
35m f1.4 GM (if released)
50mm f1.4 GM (if released)
85mm f1.4 GM
135mm f1.8 GM

:D

So having a think about my lens line up I could potentially swap things around in the future maybe.......

16-35mm f2.8 GM
24-70mm f2.8 GM
70-200mm f2.8 GM
1.4x TC
85mm f1.4 GM

24mm f1.4 GM
85mm f1.4 GM
135mm f1.8 GM

Riz, I think you need a stern talk with yourself about what is stopping you getting out and about with your camera, then make the equipment adjustments to suit.

Is it weight/size, because a gripped A9 with Zoom lens isn't exactly stealthy, lightweight or capable of being slipped into the wife's handbag.

I suspect that you just need something a whole lot smaller to be more portable and get out and about taking photo's, so rather than ultimate IQ why don't you just buy a little prime, slap it on the A9 (which is not a big camera) and just take it everywhere, get some images under your belt, when the bug comes back, you can start taking out the zooms etc, but in all seriousness you are not going to lug the gear you have now on a family day out.

(Or buy an X100F :exit:)

My finger is hovering over the buy button on that lens, it looks sooo nice in reviews.

Silly question how do you turn on APS-C mode (not read the manual sorry).
I have it on one of the custom buttons by the shutter, any would do but not AEL it's too easy to hit that accidentally.

Riz, I think you need a stern talk with yourself about what is stopping you getting out and about with your camera, then make the equipment adjustments to suit.

Is it weight/size, because a gripped A9 with Zoom lens isn't exactly stealthy, lightweight or capable of being slipped into the wife's handbag.

I suspect that you just need something a whole lot smaller to be more portable and get out and about taking photo's, so rather than ultimate IQ why don't you just buy a little prime, slap it on the A9 (which is not a big camera) and just take it everywhere, get some images under your belt, when the bug comes back, you can start taking out the zooms etc, but in all seriousness you are not going to lug the gear you have now on a family day out.

(Or buy an X100F :exit:)
Mmmmmmmm you might be onto something.... however I think its more to do with me making free time to use of my gear, so no matter what gear I have, I will end up in the same situation. I need to make more effort to get out and start taking photos, arguably the gear I have now is pretty high end so any move to another system will be a downgrade.
I will wait and see what Fuji does with the next Fuji X100V, and take it from there, I don't think dumping my entire Sony gear to go Fuji APS-C mirrorless is the way forward.
Will hold onto my Sony gear a little while longer and try and make more effort, even if means me just taking photos of the little ones so be it. :D

Mmmmmmmm you might be onto something.... however I think its more to do with me making free time to use of my gear, so no matter what gear I have, I will end up in the same situation. I need to make more effort to get out and start taking photos, arguably the gear I have now is pretty high end so any move to another system will be a downgrade.
I will wait and see what Fuji does with the next Fuji X100V, and take it from there, I don't think dumping my entire Sony gear to go Fuji APS-C mirrorless is the way forward.
Will hold onto my Sony gear a little while longer and try and make more effort, even if means me just taking photos of the little ones so be it. :D

Just buy a compact 35mm, put it on the A9 and don't look at the Fuji specs on the next X100 generation camera. Take it with you to work, go for a walk at lunchtimes, etc

I agree the main difference between the old ported sigma

16-35mm f2.8 GM
24-70mm f2.8 GM
70-200mm f2.8 GM
1.4x TC
85mm f1.4 GM

24mm f1.4 GM
85mm f1.4 GM
135mm f1.8 GM

Just buy the sigma 35mm f1.2 and the Zeiss 50mm f1.4 :p

16-35mm f2.8 GM
24-70mm f2.8 GM
70-200mm f2.8 GM
1.4x TC
85mm f1.4 GM

24mm f1.4 GM
85mm f1.4 GM
135mm f1.8 GM

I don’t think you need the 50 in that list if you have 24/35/85/135. 35 and 50 are really close.

thoroughly recommend this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KG5KB9D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i remove the bit on the side but it makes the camera much more comfortable in the hand and gives room for the little finger. no blocking of the battery door either.

I have the Smallrig one too. I still prefer the Lim's one because it is lighter.

I used the side bracket as a loop when I tether so when I pull on it, it's not yanked off.

nmJeDVR.jpg

RelwONN.jpg

oFHJZp3.jpg

Last edited:
Just buy a compact 35mm, put it on the A9 and don't look at the Fuji specs on the next X100 generation camera. Take it with you to work, go for a walk at lunchtimes, etc
I have a Sony Zeiss 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8... not sure why on earth I sold the 55mm as it's one of my favourite lenses, the 35mm f2.8 I wasnt too keen on, never been a big fan of the 35mm.

I have a Sony Zeiss 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8... not sure why on earth I sold the 55mm as it's one of my favourite lenses, the 35mm f2.8 I wasnt too keen on, never been a big fan of the 35mm.

didn’t like either of those lenses (optically). Size and AF excellent.

So, if I dip my toe into Sony..does the a7r3 focus as well (eye af) as the a73
Bit tempted by crop ability on high res body.

Sony A7 III + 24-70 GM.
Look at how sharp this one is.....
36123016892_c63b9d88b4_c.jpg

Sony A7 III + 70-200mm
41013408835_6df86474ef_c.jpg

41869665532_7cba34af82_c.jpg

28042485158_fe63c5f06c_c.jpg

Sony A9 + 85m GM
27132824958_df3fb1c12f_c.jpg

36387713576_74edff1d42_c.jpg

27450699558_4c72590772_c.jpg

Sony A9 + 55mm
39194620720_bde5b5fc7f_c.jpg
Wow, so you do actually take photos then? ;) :p

a7iii might be slightly better due to pixel density, but I’m guessing.

What I do know is a7iii has better coverage and more PDAF towards the edge of the frame.

The A7R III has fewer points (399) that cover a smaller portion of the sensor (68% width and height, or 47% of the area). The number of contrast detection points is the same on both cameras however (425).

a7iii might be slightly better due to pixel density, but I’m guessing.

What I do know is a7iii has better coverage and more PDAF towards the edge of the frame.

The A7R III has fewer points (399) that cover a smaller portion of the sensor (68% width and height, or 47% of the area). The number of contrast detection points is the same on both cameras however (425).
No it doesn’t neither does the A7RIV.

Thanks. That’s helpful.

Just dipped my toe in by clicking "buy" on an A7 ii at Camera Jungle.

at 20% off I had to really.

It arrived today. 1856 shutter actuations and mint.,

God it's different to the Olympus to use.
Are you jumping ship?

Just dipped my toe in by clicking "buy" on an A7 ii at Camera Jungle.

at 20% off I had to really.

It arrived today. 1856 shutter actuations and mint.,

God it's different to the Olympus to use.
How did you manage that?
I've been checking daily and they've not had any ii's. Ah, so you ordered a few days ago.....

Last edited:
When I tried the A7Riii the `AF was excellent, up there with the D750 imo. I didn't try eye-AF though.

no problem, as Toni said the a7riii isn’t bad at all (it’s excellent) guess you just decide if you want mp or that slightly better AF.

Thanks. What do you reckon, 55mm f1.8..it’s tiny. Or Siggy 50 art

Thanks. What do you reckon, 55mm f1.8..it’s tiny. Or Siggy 50 art

I thought the art rendered better but it’s heavy, the 55 is tiny and it feels really nice as a combo on the a7 cameras. 55 af is a bit faster as it should be, 1st party plus 1.8, smaller lighter elements.

Back