The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Lovely footie pictures Jonney. There's pitches just a few hundred yards from where I'm sat now but I'd never attempt anything like that.
Yep he might not be able to take straight landscapes but he sure knows how to take great footy pics ;) He's posted some great ones on facebook, far better than most press type shots. They really tell a story and have an almost cinematic feel to them.

Of course I'm sure it's all pot luck firing the A9 off at 20fps hoping for the best :naughty: ;):p

Yep he might not be able to take straight landscapes but he sure knows how to take great footy pics ;) He's posted some great ones on facebook, far better than most press type shots. They really tell a story and have an almost cinematic feel to them.

Of course I'm sure it's all pot luck firing the A9 off at 20fps hoping for the best :naughty: ;):p
With 20 fps... you WILL get that money shot! :D

same, gonna do it now, let you know how it goes.

Guessing it all went ok? Will do mine this evening and think I have some of my a7iii screen protectors left too.

Official Sony UK recall for the Sony FE 16-35mm f2.8 GM lens.... looks like mine has to go back :(
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lenses-e-mount-lenses/sel1635gm/articles/00235203

Notice for free repair: FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM “SEL1635GM” Interchangeable Lens - 14 November 2019

Applicable Products and Categories of This Article
We have found that, for a small amount of the E-mount lens FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM “SEL1635GM” , the camera may not operate correctly when the applicable SEL1635GM lens is attached .
If you have one or more of the applicable products listed below, and they are subject to this rare phenomenon (described below in more detail), you will be eligible for our free check & repair program. We will repair the affected lens, free of charge, until the 31st March 2023.
For more information, please check the details below.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused, and thank you for your understanding.

Phenomenon:
  • The camera may not operate correctly when the FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM lens is attached.
  • The display on the rear monitor of the camera may not work correctly when the FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM lens is attached.
How to proceed:
  • Only a limited quantity of the produced units are susceptible of being affected by this rare phenomenon. Please validate that your specific unit might indeed be affected using our Serial Number Checker.
  • If you are experiencing these symptoms, and your Serial Number is validated, please go to a nearby Authorised Service Centre to proceed to the free repair (you will be redirected to an Authorised Service Centre locator if your Serial Number is validated)

Serial number checker list

Where can I find my serial number?
The production serial number is inscribed on the plate located on the side of the lens.
servlet.FileDownload

Application Period for Free Repair Program
  • Valid until 31st March 2023
Yep Mine too:(

That’s what worries me about the A9, 11fps on the A7r3 is enough and takes some culling but 20fps is crazy especially as I’ve always been used to 5-7fps.
You can always reduce the fps to Low or Medium if required :D

You can always reduce the fps to Low or Medium if required :D
I know but that seems pointless. If you have 20fps you might as well use it ;) (well maybe not shooting landscapes at 20fps).

I shouldn’t moan as it can get the perfect pose with wildlife. It’s a great improvement on 5-7fps too. Even with the A7r3 it’s amazing what can be catch at only 11fps. I remember a time when over 10fps was the realm of pro sports camera bodies. We now have high MP (40-60MP) cameras shooting at that rate.

I had a sequence of a Squirrel opening a hazelnut. I managed to get the point it opened it then 3 images of the shell still in the air before hitting the ground. That’s pretty awesome to be able to capture that.

I’m still unsure whether I’d be better to get an A6400 as a second body option whilst also opening up the ability to shoot remote on a second body or put the same A6400 money to upgrading the A7r3 to an A9 but still have one body.

Last edited:
I know but that seems pointless. If you have 20fps you might as well use it ;) (well maybe not shooting landscapes at 20fps).
I'm with Riz, just because a camera has a feature it doesn't mean I have to use it. My EM1-II can shoot at 60fps if I want (not sure why you would) but I have mine set to 10fps.

I can see why shooting thousands in a day is easy, the silence combined with 20fps is odd, I’m sure I’ll get used to it (not that it’s an issue, it’s pretty cool). Without the clicking and blackout you have no idea the things taking so many shots.

To A6xxx owners... Is this a fair piece on the A6xxx or a bit of a hatchet job?

https://www.dpreview.com/opinion/51...tm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source

The picture of the camera with all the icons on the back screen caught my eye but surely you can configure this how you want? I'm not going to fiddle with my cameras to see how cluttered I can make them but as far as I remember there's usually choices about what icons are displayed and what aren't so I'd be surprised if the A6xxx had to be this cluttered. Do the A6xxx cameras let you declutter the screen? If they can be de cluttered the comparison to the decluttered Fuji and maybe the whole piece seem a bit unfair but if it's valid then fair enough.

One thing that does put me off is the lack of front and back dials for aperture and shutter near the top of the camera. I'd rather have that arrangement than the spinning dial and button arrangement. The Panasonic arrangement with one top dial being clickable for another function such as EC seems really good to me.

https://www.dpreview.com/opinion/51...tm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source

The picture of the camera with all the icons on the back screen caught my eye but surely you can configure this how you want? I'm not going to fiddle with my cameras to see how cluttered I can make them but as far as I remember there's usually choices about what icons are displayed and what aren't so I'd be surprised if the A6xxx had to be this cluttered. Do the A6xxx cameras let you declutter the screen? If they can be de cluttered the comparison to the decluttered Fuji and maybe the whole piece seem a bit unfair but if it's valid then fair enough.

One thing that does put me off is the lack of front and back dials for aperture and shutter near the top of the camera. I'd rather have that arrangement than the spinning dial and button arrangement. The Panasonic arrangement with one top dial being clickable for another function such as EC seems really good to me.

Of course you can, reviewers a bonehead. Just press the jog dial up and it cycles information.

Yes, with my cameras I can cycle through different displays like that but I'm certain that on some I can also select which icons appear or not so if not selected they wont appear on any of the screens I cycle through. I can't remember what camera does what but do remember choosing what icons appear on something.

It seems odd that they're had two articles recently taking quite a hard line against Sony.

DPR On the A6100...

"Not so good for
Someone that wants to take full creative control over their camera"

This seem a bit odd as I'd be amazed if you can't take full creative control.

They seem to be on a mission, I wonder if Sony have upset them by cutting advertising or something.

I can see why shooting thousands in a day is easy, the silence combined with 20fps is odd, I’m sure I’ll get used to it (not that it’s an issue, it’s pretty cool). Without the clicking and blackout you have no idea the things taking so many shots.

You are basically shooting a 6K video at 15/20 FPS :D

Yes you can configure what you want on the rear screen (and in the EVF) as Twist said.

I personally don't find the dial placement a problem on my A6000 - it did take a bit of getting used to, but now it is fine, and I can switch between using the A6000 (which is my casual / travel camera) and my old A900 (which is my more 'serious' camera, as I have a much larger range of quality lenses for), despite the layout being quite different
- the A900 very much a 'traditional' DSLR, front / read control wheels, lots of dedicated (fixed function) buttons.
- the A6000 with the rear dial plus back dial, and (for me, at least), most settings accessed via the FN button / menu - which appears in the EVF so is still easy to use with the camera up to my eye.

How does the A6400 alter shutter speed and aperture? I’m guessing one is altered by turning the rear dial and the other by holding an addition button whilst turning the rear dial. Does it have exposure compensation. I couldn’t see a specific dial for that. Is that another hold a button and turn rear dial?

Does the A6400 have the same ‘my menu’ and ‘fn menu’ as the A7r3/A73?

Last edited:
It is - Sony are muppets with their pricing This safe guarding they do on their 'G' line is f'ing laughable. But hey, the haves seem to lap it up. Let Sigma step in, good for all

Why just Sony? Sony’s is 1769, Nikon’s is 1790 and canons a whopping 2230.

Haven't read the reviews of this new sigma 24-70mm but I seem to remember their older versions not being too impressive.

Haven't read the reviews of this new sigma 24-70mm but I seem to remember their older versions not being too impressive.
Yeah, they were pretty rubbish, the old tamron 28-75 was better. Wait and see I guess.

Last edited:
I just find most lens prices crazy these days tbh, but they're all as bad as each other :rolleyes:

Even Nikon’s and Canon’s DSLR mount lenses are ridiculously high too (canon 24-70 mk2 £1675 Nikon 24-70 VR £1590). Let’s not even get started on the price of new camera bodies, they are far too high and updated far too early for bodies that cost £3-4K.

One thing we can be sure of if there are enough of us willing to pay these prices then they will stay at this high price.

If the sigma is any where near as good as Nikon as it's claimed to be, they'll sell out in no time and GM will be coming down in price :D

Yes you can configure what you want on the rear screen (and in the EVF) as Twist said.

I personally don't find the dial placement a problem on my A6000 - it did take a bit of getting used to, but now it is fine, and I can switch between using the A6000 (which is my casual / travel camera) and my old A900 (which is my more 'serious' camera, as I have a much larger range of quality lenses for), despite the layout being quite different
- the A900 very much a 'traditional' DSLR, front / read control wheels, lots of dedicated (fixed function) buttons.
- the A6000 with the rear dial plus back dial, and (for me, at least), most settings accessed via the FN button / menu - which appears in the EVF so is still easy to use with the camera up to my eye.

I wonder what they're up to at DPR?

I don't read every review over there so I may be missing some equally bad/biased ones but I don't remember them having what seems to be an unfounded dig like this before.

If you look at Sony prices in isolation they may seem high but people seem to forget that you have to compare prices to the competition. I often wonder why seemingly bright people don't do this. If it's brain fade they really should remember to compare prices before slagging Sony off and if it's fanboyism they really should just get over it.

I've just been checking some film era prime prices on evil bay and My Gosh they're still going up. It looks like it's getting harder to find bargains so I'm glad I bought mine before the prices went up so much.

Oh them too, I'm not for or against anyone specifically, but when Sigma can produce lenses just as good for half the price you just know they're over inflating their own precious gear. I was quoting a post specifically about Sony versions in this case. Not a chance I'd pay up for Canon's over priced RF offerings either. Ridiculous looking behemoths anyway

Back