The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Is the 24-105 a good lens? seem a bit pricey?

There's a guy who seems to be having problems getting results he's happy with from his A6000...

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/what-is-a-contrast-filter.703893/

He's posted previously...

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/my-difficulties-going-from-film-to-digital.702907/
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...ay-to-cope-with-lack-of-dynamic-range.702636/

If anyone can help...

Maybe it's just me but I have far fewer problems with blown highlights with my digital cameras than I ever did with film maybe because of the WYSIWYG and the histogram etc.

Last edited:
Whilst reading this review of the 12-24 I noticed there were the same images unprocessed and processed. It always amazes me how much difference there can be between the two. Often we aren’t trying to get the perfect finished image in camera but one that gives the scope and range to process to the final image.

Click through the link to see the images I’m talking about towards the end of the review.

https://www.colbybrownphotography.com/lens-review-sony-12-24-f4-g/

So is the Sigma 50mm 1.4 art a good lens for the sony since they are £500 new is AF fast one them..

AF is okay not as fast as the 55.

Super sharp though very heavy.

The 50 1.8 gets mentioned along with the A9 because it can do full 20fps. It would be unlikely anyone use it with an A9 though as af accuracy isn’t great. I can’t remember what the figure was for the other 50mm ish lenses think they can only do 17fps or something like that.

With 50mm options purely only on my opinion the best 2 options for me are the 55 and the plannar. The plannar has issues with fogging though and is big and heavy. The 55mm is really great.

Last edited:
yep awesome. Used to have tamron 28-75mm/2.8 before it and I am glad I swapped as its a great travel lens. In a pinch takes decent enough portraits too at 105mm.

the lensrentals guy seems to think its a good zoom lens too - https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2018/02/mtf-tests-of-the-sony-fe-24-105mm-f4-oss/

Seen a big thread in Facebook the other day about the 24-105 apparently there is an issue with a lot of them back focusing even though that should never happen.

Seen a big thread in Facebook the other day about the 24-105 apparently there is an issue with a lot of them back focusing even though that should never happen.

Yep there is a serial number checker on Sony's website to check if your copy of this lens is affected and also they were fixing it for free.

Here is the link for 24-105mm free fixing
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00195906

You can post that on your Facebook thread :)
The free fixing runs out in March 2020 so better get on it ;)
Thanks for the info. I didn’t know about that as I got the 24-105 in December 2018. I’m hoping the issue was resolved on all new lenses at the time they sent out the recall check request, but I will double check later just to be sure.

When will the Sony A7IV be released and do you think the second hand price of the A7iii might drop at all?

Noticed your ad.
Why are you selling so soon?

I have some big purchases on my shopping list and the Mrs gentle pointed out that I haven’t picked these up since I bought them.. so why not find through sale rather than savings... couldn’t argue that one!

I’m an impulse shopper!

Hmmmmmmm

A9 with grip
Tammy 28-75 2.8
Sony 55 1.8

This taking my fancy then a 70-200 2.8 gm or a 100-400

I feel the need to ask the same old killjoy question... What will selling your lovely and expensive Nikon kit and buying this lovely and expensive Sony kit allow you to do that you can't do now?

When will the Sony A7IV be released and do you think the second hand price of the A7iii might drop at all?

There is no release date yet for an A7IV or any real rumours of one coming any time soon.

Even when it does arrive it will likely be similar price or more expensive to the A7III when it launched, so around 2k.

A7III is very cheap now new at £1300.

Last edited:
There is no release date yet for an A7IV or any real rumours of one coming any time soon.

Even when it does arrive it will likely be similar price or more expensive to the A7III when it launched, so around 2k.

A7III is very cheap now new at £1300.

Might as well pick up an A9 then. The A7IV is likely to be incremental with RIV body, like the A9ii and RIV are, at that price point it wont have the A9 internals/spec.

Last edited:
Might as well pick up an A9 then. The A7IV is likely to be incremental with RIV body, like the A9ii and RIV are.

Depends on what they add to an A7IV I guess, would not expect too much of an upgrade considering the differences between the A7RIV and A7RIII and the A9 and the A9II.

But yeah A9 is incredible value grey market at the moment although still 3k in the U.K.

I am waiting to see if e-infin do a black friday discount like they did last year and I might pick up another A9. Some of their prices have went up over the last week or so which might mean they are preparing something.

Usually there is a lots of offers on Sony gear on the run up to black friday but there has been very little that I have seen this year.

The A9 had dropped £400 at Harrisons but other than that not seen much.

dz0xMDAwJmg9NjQz_src_182056-porownanie.jpg

Usually there is a lots of offers on Sony gear on the run up to black friday but there has been very little that I have seen this year.

The A9 had dropped £400 at Harrisons but other than that not seen much.

Its usually the previous models that get discounted, so UK A9 is a possibility but still be way more than grey.

I feel the need to ask the same old killjoy question... What will selling your lovely and expensive Nikon kit and buying this lovely and expensive Sony kit allow you to do that you can't do now?

Dont get me wrong the Z is such a joy to use and it producing lovely images and it such a joy to operate but the past 2 days I had to use AF-C and the Z wasn't keeping up as i like.. I felt the sony EYE AF and Auto tracking of the person was spot on and wasn't jumping about know wha ti mean it such a shame if nikon could do this better it a keeper

Dont get me wrong the Z is such a joy to use and it producing lovely images and it such a joy to operate but the past 2 days I had to use AF-C and the Z wasn't keeping up as i like.. I felt the sony EYE AF and Auto tracking of the person was spot on and wasn't jumping about know wha ti mean it such a shame if nikon could do this better it a keeper
Just use single point AF like the ‘good old days’ ;)

Nothing else comes close to the A9.

Are the tamron colour really that difference to the body i though it was just a fraction

:ROFLMAO: Really????

In real life it is not as pronounced to be fair, to be honest I have never noticed it until you mentioned it.

Back