The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I will if I want to I’m obviously deciding on best options, before I do. In here looking for advice on my reasons not to be patronized or hear justification why something is fine, When said thing is not what I would like. We know the A9 is perfect for you, I’m not in here researching stuff for you. Don’t need to keep justifying your decision. It has no bearing on mine. Just wanted a simple question answered.

Ok sorry I spoken

I joke about having sausage fingers but I don't really. I do have big hands though and maybe it's the length of my fingers that causes my knuckles to rub on the lens when they're wrapped around the grip? Either way I'd have to choose gen 4 and up A7 bodies and A9 gen 2 and up if I was to go sony (y)

Am I right in thinking you're considering Nikon, or is it another system you're looking at?

He thinking Fuji

Looking on DXO the 85mm f1.8 score 40mpix sharpness on the A7RII, that's staggering. The 50mm f1.8S on the Z7 scores 37mpix and I know how sharp that is already, so all I can deduce is that that Sony Zeiss 85mm f1.8 is one hell of a lens in terms of sharpness. No idea on the rendering though.

It's not like Z50/1.8 is a stunner at rendering anyway or to put it the other way Sony lenses aren't any worst lol.

It's not like Z50/1.8 is a stunner at rendering anyway or to put it the other way Sony lenses aren't any worst lol.
Didn't say the Sony was worse, just no idea how it renders so I can't pass comment (y)

TBH I really like the rendering of the Z 50mm (y)

Didn't say the Sony was worse, just no idea how it renders so I can't pass comment (y)

TBH I really like the rendering of the Z 50mm (y)

Yup it a brilliant lens that

Thanks. Just actually been up to Harrisons to try the A9 and A7RIV and couldn't figure out how to get eye-af to work how I wanted it, but the guy at the store knew absolutely diddly squat about Sony cameras so that didn't help. Didn't find an option to assign eye-af to a button tbh, so only way I could get eye-AF to work and track was to use AF mode tracking wide which works the same as the Nikon Z's and as a result can't select point/face to track it just selects which one it wants to. Tried expanded flexible spot (with AF enabled in the menu but not pressing an assignable button) and whilst it did find the eye if I was close to the AF point as soon as I move the AF point away from the face it just started tracking whatever was under the AF point. But from what you've said you've have to half press the shutter to focus and then press and hold another button such as AF-ON to enable eye tracking?

Based on what you've said I'll give it another go at some point but for now Sony isn't for me anyway. With the A9 I had the same issue as the rest of the A7's I've tried in that my knuckles rub on the lens when holding the grip. The A7RIV grip was noticeably better in this regard and had room for my knuckles, but there were a number of things I wasn't keen on and the A7RIV would kind of like be just swapping like for like anyway (albeit with a better AF allegedly) and I'd be out of pocket quite a bit which is daft unless it's a huge upgrade.

Glad I got to have a play though, put my mind at rest that I've done the right thing. I'll maybe revisit it when the A9-II has dropped quite a bit, unless of course Nikon bring something out that's blackout free and has great AF ;)

Just wow...

My youngest is 9 and has no problem getting it to work perfectly. :ROFLMAO:

Just wow...

My youngest is 9 and has no problem getting it to work perfectly. :ROFLMAO:
Lol, I got it to work just not how I wanted ;) I was only there for about 5 mins though :p

A9mk2 is already around 3.2k
Plus £1700 for the 70-200mm f2.8 plus £500 for the 24-70mm, plus £140 for the 50mm f1.8 plus £350 for the 85mm f1.8 plus £665 for the 16-35mm f4. I'm only about £2.5k short ;) :p

I just saw this on Instagram...new photo goal, except I want it to be a wedding photo. Imagine that.

HvBI5Ab.png

Well I hope there still is anyway! Don’t always want eye AF when I’m tracking!

I joke about having sausage fingers but I don't really. I do have big hands though and maybe it's the length of my fingers that causes my knuckles to rub on the lens when they're wrapped around the grip? Either way I'd have to choose gen 4 and up A7 bodies and A9 gen 2 and up if I was to go sony (y)

Am I right in thinking you're considering Nikon, or is it another system you're looking at?

I keep having naughty thoughts of switching systems but just need to use my Sony gear more to gel with it again. :)

I keep having naughty thoughts of switching systems
Yep me too, but it's just not right enough for me to swap, just as I imagine other systems aren't for you (y). I just hope Nikon can pull it out the bag with the Gen II cameras, or a firmware update.

Though it always p*** it down in chesterfield

I couldn't hold off my Canon to Sony swap any longer :confused:
Today I ordered an A73 with Sony 135mm F1.8 GM and the Sony Zeiss 55mm F1.8 lenses. I'm looking forward to experiencing the razor sharpness results from this setup :)

The 135 is a hell of a lens to jump in with. :D

The 135 is a hell of a lens to jump in with. :D
I’ve got the Canon 135L F2 and it’s a focal length which works for my shots - My son playing football and outdoor/holiday portraits

Today I ordered an A73 with Sony 135mm F1.8 GM and the Sony Zeiss 55mm F1.8 lenses. I'm looking forward to experiencing the razor sharpness results from this setup :)

Welcome aboard :)
Both really great lenses.

Been questioning a couple of things in my head today, purely out of curiosity.

Doesn’t the A9 have a sensor scan/readout time of something like 1/150, therefore if you pan at 1/150 or below does this mean you would get absolutely zero jello effect or is it not quite as simple as that?

Also, how do you get zero blackout? Does it shoot video and take 24mp snaps from that and not save the video or is there some sort of complex trickery going on?

Been questioning a couple of things in my head today, purely out of curiosity.

Doesn’t the A9 have a sensor scan/readout time of something like 1/150, therefore if you pan at 1/150 or below does this mean you would get absolutely zero jello effect or is it not quite as simple as that?

Also, how do you get zero blackout? Does it shoot video and take 24mp snaps from that and not save the video or is there some sort of complex trickery going on?

You think to much.

Guys apologies as I couldn’t see if a thread was available for this, but can someone tell me what the differences are between the 6400, 6500 & 6600. Also which would be the better option.

A step too long for me I think but nice kit to start off with :)

Guys apologies as I couldn’t see if a thread was available for this, but can someone tell me what the differences are between the 6400, 6500 & 6600. Also which would be the better option.

A6400 and A6600 are latest generation with real-time tracking. A6500 is previous generation.

A6500 and A6600 have IBIS. A6400 doesn't.

A6400 and A6500 uses the older smaller NP-FW50 batteries. A6600 uses the new larger Z batteries that A7(R)III/A9(II)/A7RIV use.

IQ wise they are all the same.

Last edited:
That’s been said once or twice before ;) I like to know how things work :p
Might be worth contacting Jim Lawson. He normally replies with perfect answers to such questions. I have spoken to him few times on dpreview but I believe you can contact him through his blog too.

Might be worth contacting Jim Lawson. He normally replies with perfect answers to such questions. I have spoken to him few times on dpreview but I believe you can contact him through his blog too.
No idea who he is (other than the activist James Lawson) so will head off to google (y)

Back