The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

No idea who he is (other than the activist James Lawson) so will head off to google (y)
Google him, the blog is first to show up.
He is a techie who does a lot of tests on camera and their sensor. Basically like a sensor testing equivalent of Roger from lens rentals who mostly does optics.

I can get a new grey A7RIV for the price he is asking though. Used mint A7RIII is over a grand cheaper.
AF speed good on the RIII?

AF is great on A7RIII. Owned one before A7RIV

It's a UK stock with 2/3 years UK warranty. It's a grand lower on what is basically unused UK stock body. Think it's a better deal than grey personally.

p.s. there is a mint A7RIII at camera jungle for £1425.

Last edited:
Been questioning a couple of things in my head today, purely out of curiosity.

Doesn’t the A9 have a sensor scan/readout time of something like 1/150, therefore if you pan at 1/150 or below does this mean you would get absolutely zero jello effect or is it not quite as simple as that?

Also, how do you get zero blackout? Does it shoot video and take 24mp snaps from that and not save the video or is there some sort of complex trickery going on?
looks like someone has asked your question and Jim was part of the discussion:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4222960

Looking on DXO the 85mm f1.8 score 40mpix sharpness on the A7RII, that's staggering. The 50mm f1.8S on the Z7 scores 37mpix and I know how sharp that is already, so all I can deduce is that that Sony Zeiss 85mm f1.8 is one hell of a lens in terms of sharpness. No idea on the rendering though.

I have one and it's sharp from f1.8 plus it's fast to focus and relatively small and light. The only criticism I can really level at it is that the bokeh isn't to everyones taste. It can give you cats eye bokeh, I believe the correct term is mechanical vignetting, and for some messy backgrounds it can look a little harsh at f1.8. I think overall it was probably designed with a bias towards sharpness from wide open rather than for pleasing OOF areas.

Thinking back to my Canon days I had the original Sigma 85mm f1.4 and IMO that lens gave better bokeh but the Sony f1.8 is sharper. On the whole I'd say that the maybe questionably bokeh with some scenes is a price worth paying if you want compact, light and sharp from the off. Having questioned the bokeh it's nowhere near what you'll get from some other lenses and some actually like it.

How much should I put the A73 up for? Slight rub mark on one corner but otherwise excellent. Can only of taken a few thousand pics but will check. Comes with a charger lol.

Am crap at pricing used. I’ll say £1250?

Sticking with the beast a9?

In all seriousness none of the A7/9 bodies are as comfortable as the Nikon Z. The a-mount bodies were actually super comfortable and ergonomic. Had the best tilting screen too. They should fire whomever designed these bodies and get the a-mount folks back.

In all seriousness none of the A7/9 bodies are as comfortable as the Nikon Z. The a-mount bodies were actually super comfortable and ergonomic. Had the best tilting screen too. They should fire whomever designed these bodies and get the a-mount folks back.
Yep, A77 and A77-2 were great. I’ve never understood why that LCD has never caught on either, great design.

Yep, A77 and A77-2 were great. I’ve never understood why that LCD has never caught on either, great design.
Yep A77m2 is my favourite body ergonomically to date. I once shot with it under a waterfall lol. It's built like a tank too.

Anyone here been using Capture One for the sony? I been trying it the past 2 days.. It not bad really

Just seen x100f. Oh dear though you trying to slim down

Back