The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I find saying something like "The shutter's silent but I'll tell you when I've got it" or "Thanks, got it" or even just making a gesture or nodding seem to work fine. I find most people know cameras can be silent as they're used to phones and know they can be silent. Photographing strangers is not something I normally do but in my little world of extended family and friends and half acquaintances of me or someone it's never ever been a problem or even mentioned by anyone, ever.

I showed them “this new trick” they were impressed with it but when it comes to actual usage, they didn’t like it.

Maybe you can accept that they're a bit weird :D Although I suspect that one maybe fed the others weirdness.

You photograph more strangers than me, many more, so you'll have to deal with any issues silent shutters may create. Hopefully this odd couple will be in a tiny minority.

I showed them “this new trick” they were impressed with it but when it comes to actual usage, they didn’t like it.

Strange I have had several couples say how amazing the silent shutter is.

At my wedding last weekend the bride kept telling everyone about it and asked me to show it working to a few of her friends.

Strange I have had several couples say how amazing the silent shutter is.

At my wedding last weekend the bride kept telling everyone about it and asked me to show it working to a few of her friends.

Not at weddings, engagement shoots.

Did 6 engagement sessions in the last couple of weeks. Nobody mentioned anything about the silent shutter being a problem

They were probs like, holy crap we need to see the GP, cant hear the snappy snappy.

Did 6 engagement sessions in the last couple of weeks. Nobody mentioned anything about the silent shutter being a problem

Well, what can I tell you, I had a different experience. May be it’s the air in London.

Not sure what else to add then stated what happened, your experience differs to mine, that’s all there is to it.

Last edited:
Bye bye @Riz_Guru..... good riddens :ROFLMAO:

Ill-be-back.jpg

What an odd thing to do on your wedding day

Not really when she is also a wedding photographer as was the groom and several of the guests.

Plenty of other couples have commented on it though they love that there is no click clack during the ceremony.

Nobody has ever asked for the noise to be turned on.

Last edited:
Not really when she is also a wedding photographer as was the groom and several of the guests.

Plenty of other couples have commented on it though they love that there is no click clack during the ceremony.

Just to show how niche we are chasing this silent shutter, in that 1 single paragraph has more wedding photographers (than those here who has an A9) who has never seen silent shutter after it’s been out a few years.

Last edited:
I bought an EM-1X for its silent shutter for birding and use it on my a9MKII in some cases it can really help.
Rob.

Silent shutter is great benefit for me!

Just to show how niche we are chasing this silent shutter, in that 1 single paragraph has more wedding photographers (than those here who has an A9) who has never seen silent shutter after it’s been out a few years.

They where all from New Zealand and Australia, they were all dslr users well apart from the bride who was originally from here.

From what they said camera equipment seems to be more expensive there than here, which surprised me as I just assumed kit would be cheaper there.

They were all well aware but hadn’t seen them in action.

Last edited:

I bet speeches were a laugh.

Seriously though, yeah silent shutter is great for ceremony.

I bet speeches were a laugh.

Seriously though, yeah silent shutter is great for ceremony.

The speeches where actually awesome the New Zealander’s do them more like the yanks. Lots of emotion and lots of laughs although a bit long compared to your normal u.k speeches. Plus there was much more of them, both mums and dads, bride and groom, matron of honour and the best man. Plus when they opened it up to the floor quite a few more said something. Someone rapped there speech and another sang there’s.

There was very little photography talk don’t think any of the speeches mentioned it at all.

Was nice that not one of them brought a camera they all just enjoyed the day as the couple decided to do everything unplugged there was even a basket to drop there devices in before going in for the ceremony. The only dude with a camera was an uncle of the bride although he put it away for the ceremony but he was raging. :ROFLMAO:

By odd coincidence we did another wedding the next day and it was also for folks from New Zealand but from a completely different part of the country there speeches where similar too.

Last edited:
I'd have thought younger people would know all about silent shutters and be used to them.

I sometimes wish my A7 had one. It's not a problem outdoors but indoors it's very noticeable. I normally use all my Panasonic cameras with electronic shutter especially inside.

I'll be sad to see you leave this thread Riz. Come back and see us and you can still post pictures. I can't see anyone minding.

Silent shutter in A73 gets banning when indoors, i just don’t bother.
It’s only worth using in the A9 IMO.

To both, why?

Rolling shutter has never affected me but banding has but strangely not recently with my Panasonic GX80 and GX9. Maybe I've just been lucky or maybe they have some sort of anti banding cleverness built in. I recently took about 50-60 pictures indoors in different rooms and I didn't see banding on any. If my A7 had an electronic shutter I'd possibly use it more and MFT a bit less.

Hi Alan,

Me too and I will definitely stick around :)

What kit will you be using now?

TBH I could sell 90% of my kit as I have very little time for it these days but thinking about getting out and about is nice and it's something to look forward to :D

I often think just a fast prime and a kit zoom will be enough but then I think a macro would be nice and a wide too and a long lens for the occasional picture and of course I need either MFT or 1" for when the A7 is too much or too slow and the list just gets longer :D

Last edited:
My perspective is that 3 prime lenses are enough to own or have access to, and two of those are enough to walk out with .. or just one, if you want to keep it simple ...

My perspective is that 3 prime lenses are enough to own or have access to, and two of those are enough to walk out with .. or just one, if you want to keep it simple ...

I know you'll never be in my bedroom... but anyone thinking like you would be disappointed to look in my lens drawer :D

Why would anyone want that many 50 and 35mm lenses :D

What kit will you be using now?

TBH I could sell 90% of my kit as I have very little time for it these days but thinking about getting out and about is nice and it's something to look forward to :D

I often think just a fast prime and a kit zoom will be enough but then I think a macro would be nice and a wide too and a long lens for the occasional picture and of course I need either MFT or 1" for when the A7 is too much or too slow and the list just gets longer :D

Just a Fuji X100V going forwards. Back to basics with a single 35mm equiv lens.
Worst case scenario, if this doesn’t make me feel any different in terms of getting my photography mojo back, it’s better to have £1.5k approx laying in draw vs £8k+ lol.

To both, why?

Rolling shutter has never affected me but banding has but strangely not recently with my Panasonic GX80 and GX9. Maybe I've just been lucky or maybe they have some sort of anti banding cleverness built in. I recently took about 50-60 pictures indoors in different rooms and I didn't see banding on any. If my A7 had an electronic shutter I'd possibly use it more and MFT a bit less.

My indoor A73 shots using silent shutter in a flood lit arena were terrible. Some came out ok but the banding on a lot of them was very bad.

To both, why?

As above, indoor I’d never used the silent shutter for the same reasons on the A7iii. Tried it inside a couple of times with different lighting and ended up with banding.

As above, indoor I’d never used the silent shutter for the same reasons on the A7iii. Tried it inside a couple of times with different lighting and ended up with banding.

It would be nice if Sony developed a near to silent mechanical shutter like the xh1. Would negate the need for electronic altogether.

Can't use flash on silent shutter on A series which is a bit annoying when I was considering trying a Better Beamer. I'd be restricted to 5 fps on the A9 and the shutter sound is something I avoid when close to the birds.
Apparently the flash from the Beamer doesn't bother them.

I'll take an electronic shutter even if it means banding under some lighting as at least it lets you go silent in natural lighting indoors and there are occasions for that... once in a decade given the candle light that passes for sunlight here :D
Just a Fuji X100V going forwards. Back to basics with a single 35mm equiv lens.
Worst case scenario, if this doesn’t make me feel any different in terms of getting my photography mojo back, it’s better to have £1.5k approx laying in draw vs £8k+ lol.

I can appreciate what you've done and I've thought about doing the same many times but the fact is that buying and using different kit is a part of the hobby for me.

Actually if going your way with just the one camera and lens I'd just mount the Sony 35mm f2.8 on my A7, or possibly on an A7III and then stop :D

I'll take an electronic shutter even if it means banding under some lighting as at least it lets you go silent in natural lighting indoors and there are occasions for that... once in a decade given the candle light that passes for sunlight here :D

I can appreciate what you've done and I've thought about doing the same many times but the fact is that buying and using different kit is a part of the hobby for me.

Actually if going your way with just the one camera and lens I'd just mount the Sony 35mm f2.8 on my A7, or possibly on an A7III and then stop :D

There is also the distortion issue with silent shutters. Too much potential for things to go wrong IMO.

Back