The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

New 20mm f/1.8 FE G lens is coming before the end of the month probably.

Not sure if I would be interested in this one.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/rum...-new-20mm-f-1-8-fe-g-lens-around-february-25/

I might be interested as a lens like this has been on my list of wants for a long time. I liked the Sigma 20mm f1.8 I had for my Canon DSLR's and I've no doubt this will be better, or at least I'll be shocked if it isn't. There's always the Samyang 28mm f2.8 to think about and I've nearly bought a Tokina 20mm f2 a few times so I'll take a look at this Sony.

I might be interested as a lens like this has been on my list of wants for a long time. I liked the Sigma 20mm f1.8 I had for my Canon DSLR's and I've no doubt this will be better, or at least I'll be shocked if it isn't. There's always the Samyang 28mm f2.8 to think about and I've nearly bought a Tokina 20mm f2 a few times so I'll take a look at this Sony.

My main concern with it is that it’ll be about £700 probably if not more. The Tokina Firin I’ve just got for £315 is well built and sharp, though MF. Couldn’t see me doubling the money for the Sony.

I'm not too sure on the idea of selling up because of not having time to use the gear. I'm getting next to no time these days and since coming back from holiday in August I've only used the kit a few times but it takes no looking after, it's there if I get the time and at least the thought of getting out with it gives me something to look forward to.

I suppose it's just money tied up and depreciating but once the pain of buying is over it's not so bad and keeping it avoids the hassle of selling it and buying something else down the line. I can see how some would want to sell up or slim right down I suppose but if I did I know I'd only end up buying something at some point in the future.

I got some help and some free time today but the camera gear didn't come out and instead I slept for 2 hours :D

My main concern with it is that it’ll be about £700 probably if not more. The Tokina Firin I’ve just got for £315 is well built and sharp, though MF. Couldn’t see me doubling the money for the Sony.

That'd be ok for me if it's a decent lens and in line with their other f1.8's. I want an AF lens and I've read a few whinges about the Firin AF so maybe the Sony could be a safer buy.

I really liked the Sigma 20mm f1.8 on my 5D and I have that dream of a cruise to see the northern lights one day plus years ago I used to do some night sky stuff so it'd be nice to have another go at that one day with the more modern better gear. We'll see...

That'd be ok for me if it's a decent lens and in line with their other f1.8's. I want an AF lens and I've read a few whinges about the Firin AF so maybe the Sony could be a safer buy.

I really liked the Sigma 20mm f1.8 on my 5D and I have that dream of a cruise to see the northern lights one day plus years ago I used to do some night sky stuff so it'd be nice to have another go at that one day with the more modern better gear. We'll see...

Yeah, that’s not a stupid price, just hard for me to justify. Quite like the manual Tokina actually, manual aperture is great, focus is easy and smooth.

Yeah the firin AF apparently has pretty poor AF I think. Sony should definitely be a safer buy, especially if it’s similar in price to the AF.

Yeah I’m sure it’ll be great for the night sky. If it’s anything like the Nikon 20mm 1.8, it’ll be an absolute winner.

One thing is that the film era 17mm I have makes 20mm a bit tame and the Sigma 12-24mm I had makes it positively boring :D

I suppose what I need is a 12/14-24mm and a 17/18 or 20mm f1.8 :D

This looks like potentially decent rival to Sony...

40mp
20 FPS silent shutter
12 FPS mechanical shutter
IBIS
8k video
Dual card slots
Canon build & weather sealing.
And no horrible back touch slider!!! Yay.
View attachment 268575
I find it’s an interesting ploy by canon to release partial details 2-4 weeks before its proper debut, but something doesn’t add up to me. The specs they’ve released sound fantastic but in a way too fantastic considering these specs could revival their recently released £6k 1DXiii. Somewhere along the line there will be something that limits it like limited buffer letting you shoot st 20FPS for say 2-3 seconds, or even price if it’s also released at £6k like the 1DXiii.

The interesting point is that it will push the other manufacturers include Sony to up their game. Perhaps in 3-5 years when I’d probably be looking to replace the A9 it will give good choice at a reasonable price. For now the A9 is probably far better than I really need and with an electronic shutter it’s unlikely to actually wear out.

One thing I’d like to see is Sony release something like a 400mm f4 or even 300mm f4 as that’s a gap that needs filling but at a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Seems like slot of people have lost there photography mojo

So I've been hankering after a 35mm lens for a while but they seemed a bit meh. The Sigma A is nice but I don't want that large or expensive. The Loxia seemed good but again a bit pricey. Then the FE35 F1.8 came out and seems a good bet. Then I started reading about the Voigtlander 40mm F1.2.
People online like Steve Huff are pointless as everything they try is the best frickin lens EVER!!
So I now I think it is between these 2 - so any opinions on these or others?
Cheers!

why is it that it always seems the weather at weekends is worse than in the week?

From someone that works outdoors, I can assure you it just seems that way :ROFLMAO:

That Nikon guy made a fantastic video about the canon R5 that put me back down to earth @twist @Raymond Lin .

Basically if you read carefully, the specs are not entirely great and when you look at canon's recent strategy of using the cripple hammer, the odds of them crippling the 8k stuff and the 20/12fps possibly only working without pdaf or/AF lock only is a viable thing you could bet on.

anyways enough canon talk, when was the last time i shared some pics?

Bromley By Bow Vs Tottenham Phoenix Season2 (103 of 103).jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

Bromley By Bow Vs Tottenham Phoenix Season2 (99 of 103).jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

Bromley By Bow Vs Tottenham Phoenix Season2 (86 of 103).jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

Bromley By Bow Vs Tottenham Phoenix Season2 (46 of 103).jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

Bromley By Bow Vs Tottenham Phoenix Season2 (20 of 103).jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

Bromley By Bow Vs Tottenham Phoenix Season2 (9 of 103).jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

Bromley By Bow Vs Tottenham Phoenix Season2 (4 of 103).jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

Bromley By Bow Vs Tottenham Phoenix Season2 (8 of 103).jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

i started using my flash for the last couple of shots. Trying to get that "raw" in your face look. just a small diffuser on the head of the flash

So I've been hankering after a 35mm lens for a while but they seemed a bit meh. The Sigma A is nice but I don't want that large or expensive. The Loxia seemed good but again a bit pricey. Then the FE35 F1.8 came out and seems a good bet. Then I started reading about the Voigtlander 40mm F1.2.
People online like Steve Huff are pointless as everything they try is the best frickin lens EVER!!
So I now I think it is between these 2 - so any opinions on these or others?
Cheers!

They're different lenses and I use them differently. I like the Sony 35mm f1.8 AF when I want to take pictures rather quickly, for example people pictures with face detect and when I don't want to be the geek with the camera or at least I'm trying to be less of one. The Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 is for when I'm by myself and able to take the time to MF and enjoy the experience more. I prefer the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 a lot of the time as it's smaller and lighter than the 40mm but with mushy extreme corners (you may never see it in whole pictures but when pixel peeping at 100% you will) and funky bokeh at f1.4 with messy backgrounds. Stopped down it's similar to the Loxia (that's what they say over at FM.) The 40mm gives a much more modern look.

So it depends what you want really. If you want to use eye/face detect, to be able to shoot quickly and get sharpness across the frame from wide open get the Sony 35mm f1.8. If you like well made manual lenses that look like they could have been made 50 years ago get a Voigtlander. Get the 35mm f1.4 if you'd prefer a small lens and can live with the corners and f1.4 bokeh or the 40mm f1.2 for a more modern and less funky look. Just to confuse things you could take a look at the Voigtlander 50mm f2. It's a fantastic lens.

PS.
I seem to be one of the very few raving about the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 but I do think it's an excellent lens. Stopped down it's sharp across the frame except for the very extreme corners (but you'll only see that when pixel peeping) and although the bokeh at f1.4 could be for emergency use only with messy backgrounds with more friendly backgrounds it's fine and it does settle down quickly as you stop down.

Last edited:
Tamron have released some new firmware for the 17-28 f/2.8 to resolve a couple of issues.

I didn't notice either issue with my own lens but I know a lot of others who have this lens that ran into a problem with the a.f not responding when the camera came out of sleep mode with the only option being to remove and reinsert the battery to get it working again. Good to see that Tamron have picked this up and resolved reasonably quickly.

https://www.tamron.jp/en/support/a046_firmware.html

Currently in Kyoto, distinct lack of Chinese tourists. (especially in groups)

chcUHwy.jpg

Vo4wPAX.jpg

Mind you, I've ordered a replacement lens foot and a camo cover in anticipation :LOL:
Which ones?
I've been looking.
Problem is I've spent a fortune recently on a camera, 3 lenses, filter holder and filters, new bag and my macbook hard drive packed in so I've just received an ssd drive for it.
If I buy anything else I'll get shot....:LOL:

Which ones?
I've been looking.
Problem is I've spent a fortune recently on a camera, 3 lenses, filter holder and filters, new bag and my macbook hard drive packed in so I've just received an ssd drive for it.
If I buy anything else I'll get shot....:LOL:
If you're going to get shot it might as well be worth it. I bought a cheap camo neoprene cover and an iShoot replacement foot, both from eBay.

Fits great. Can also get my 24-105 and 85mm lenses in, and my filter case and binoculars.
View attachment 268791
Can I ask what’s the overall length of the combination? I‘d like to try a 200-600 at some point but I can’t see me swapping to it as I like the 100-400 for its compactness/lightness. I’d likely need something between the 24-105 and 200-600 for landscapes. Ive only just sold a 70-200 as it wasn’t being used, and it helped fund the A9.

When I had a Nikon 200-400 I always felt I’d like a bit extra focal length without using a teleconverter. Being able to go to 600mm would be good as I’m photographing Otters at the moment and plan to do a short project on great crested grebes in spring. The 100-400 should be ok but just having that little bit extra would be nice.

@footman I’d be interested to see how you get on with the 200-600 and the A9.

Last edited:
Back