The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

got any links?
Back home now,
the camo cover, it was the cheapest, hope it's not shoddy
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193334869565

the replacement lens foot
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/iShoot-IS-THS260-Tripod-Foot-Lens-Collar-Base-for-Sony-FE-200-600-F5-6-6-3-G-OSS/274104064454?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I suppose I'm being a cheapskate but the Wimberley and Kirk versions are so expensive and I know these Chinese alternatives can be just as good. It was the same as the cheaper Chinese gimbals, I used one for years with the heavy Canon gear and it behaved very well. This foot is made from aircraft grade aluminium and it's CNC machined just like the American ones. The advantage of a replacement foot is that it's Arca-Swiss compatible so no need for a plate and it has a slightly lower profile than the Sony foot which makes storage in a bag easier.

Last edited:
First test report of the Sony 20mm f1.8...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/first-test-report-about-the-new-sony-20mm-f-1-8-g-lens/

"This is the first Sony 20mm f/1.8 G lens test report:
  • Super sharp in the center of the image at f/1.8
  • Peak sharpness is at f/2.8
  • The peak sharpness for the edges is at f/4.0
  • Chromatic aberration is extremely low
  • Near zero distortion (this is probably the best news)
  • Moderate vignetting at f/1.8 which is gone at f/2.8
The lens will be announced around February 25!"

That's nice :D

First test report of the Sony 20mm f1.8...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/first-test-report-about-the-new-sony-20mm-f-1-8-g-lens/

"This is the first Sony 20mm f/1.8 G lens test report:
The lens will be announced around February 25!"

That's nice :D
How much do you think it will be?

Can I ask what’s the overall length of the combination? I‘d like to try a 200-600 at some point but I can’t see me swapping to it as I like the 100-400 for its compactness/lightness. I’d likely need something between the 24-105 and 200-600 for landscapes. Ive only just sold a 70-200 as it wasn’t being used, and it helped fund the A9.

When I had a Nikon 200-400 I always felt I’d like a bit extra focal length without using a teleconverter. Being able to go to 600mm would be good as I’m photographing Otters at the moment and plan to do a short project on great crested grebes in spring. The 100-400 should be ok but just having that little bit extra would be nice.

@footman I’d be interested to see how you get on with the 200-600 and the A9.
I'll check in the morning and let you know.

Fits great. Can also get my 24-105 and 85mm lenses in, and my filter case and binoculars.
View attachment 268791
That looks like a fantastic set up you have there Robert.
I’m still considering my options as I’ll be buying into a new system myself in a couple of months time - can I ask, what you changed from and what body you have now? Like you, it’s wildlife, particularly bird photography that interests me the most and I have to say that Sony is starting to appeal to me more than Olympus at present so your views would be very welcome.

That looks like a fantastic set up you have there Robert.
I’m still considering my options as I’ll be buying into a new system myself in a couple of months time - can I ask, what you changed from and what body you have now? Like you, it’s wildlife, particularly bird photography that interests me the most and I have to say that Sony is starting to appeal to me more than Olympus at present so your views would be very welcome.
Hi
I was using a Panasonic G80 and Leica 100-400 lens.
I'm now using a Sony A7ii and I love it.
I went for the A7ii as it was a great price, and allowed me to start building up some lenses.
I will look to get an A7iii at some point as it does have a better af system.

Hi
I was using a Panasonic G80 and Leica 100-400 lens.
I'm now using a Sony A7ii and I love it.
I went for the A7ii as it was a great price, and allowed me to start building up some lenses.
I will look to get an A7iii at some point as it does have a better af system.
That’s great, thank you for replying so quickly.
I’ve been considering different options recently, Panasonic G9, Oly E-M1X & Mark ii but there seems to be something very attractive with Sony, particularly the 200-600 lens on an A series body. I like the full frame option as well, very much, so I’ll be following your adventures with a great deal of interest going forward.

Last edited:
That’s great, thank you for replying so quickly.
I’ve been considering different options recently, Panasonic G9, Oly E-M1X & Mark ii but there seems to be something very attractive with Sony, particularly the 200-600 lens on an A series body. I like the full frame option as well, very much, so I’ll be following your adventures with a great deal of interest going forward.
I'd considered a G9, and the E-M1ii as well.
I know what you mean about the Sony attraction though.
I have no regrets going with Sony.

I'd considered a G9, and the E-M1ii as well.
I know what you mean about the Sony attraction though.
I have no regrets going with Sony.
Good to hear.
My biggest worry is getting it wrong which is why I’m taking my time deciding which way to jump. I do feel happier with the thought of moving to Sony though, I’m thinking A73 with a small selection of well considered lenses is my most likely choice.

I'm eager to see how the new Sony 20mm f/1.8 G being launched on 25 Feb compares. If it's decent I might swap it out for my EF mount Sigma 24 F1.4.

One criticism of some Sony lenses is that Sony don't seem to care too much about ca. It may not be shot ruining and you may need to look closely to see it but it's something that people can point at and say "Ah Ha! CA!" If the same is true of this 20mm it could put some off. Possibly not me.

One criticism of some Sony lenses is that Sony don't seem to care too much about ca. It may not be shot ruining and you may need to look closely to see it but it's something that people can point at and say "Ah Ha! CA!" If the same is true of this 20mm it could put some off. Possibly not me.
This is the first Sony 20mm f/1.8 G lens test report - sounds pretty good. Obvs need to wait for real samples and the data to drop.

Yes I read that but as you say we'll have to wait and see to be sure. I have the 35, 55 and 85mm f1.8's and I've seen them all criticised for ca to some degree or other but I can't say it's a major thing or deal breaker for me. The 20mm f1.8 is a different lens and doesn't have to be like the others :D but I wonder if Sony have decided to reduce that little area of criticism or if it's business as usual. Time will tell.

For me CA is such an easy fix in Lightroom that it's a non issue.

That isn’t true with there higher end lenses though just the cheap options as is the case with most camera manufacturers.

That isn’t true with there higher end lenses though just the cheap options as is the case with most camera manufacturers.
Pretty sure Woof was referring to the non GM lenses

I did say what lenses I was talking about. We'll have to see where this 20mm f1.8 sits price wise and if the performance justifies the price.

CA probably wont be a biggie for me and it isn't with the 35mm which IMO is probably the worst of the bunch I have but the price could be as there are other options, f2 and f2.8. I'd prefer f1.8/2 but I can't see myself paying £1k or more and the cheapo Samyang is always tempting but f2.8.

Yes although I've seen others mentioned in other places such as FM. The f1.8's seem to get a bit of criticism for it.

Yeah, the f/1.8 lenses are quite prone, but then again it's the same with the other manufacturers, that is one of the reasons that the higher end lenses cost so much more as they are generally better corrected.

Lucky you, I have CS5 and ticking the box seems to make no difference what so ever :D

Yeah that won't be of much help, it isn't in Lightroom either but you have the option to use the dropper tool to manually to remove C.A which does work very well.

I’m just considering my options regarding bodies for predominately bird / wildlife photography - would the A7R3 be a better choice than the A73 given the higher mp’s and therefore cropping option? I know from what I’ve read that the AF is reportedly better on the 3 but having the option to shoot APC at 18 mps is interesting as well with the R3.

I’m just considering my options regarding bodies for predominately bird / wildlife photography - would the A7R3 be a better choice than the A73 given the higher mp’s and therefore cropping option? I know from what I’ve read that the AF is reportedly better on the 3 but having the option to shoot APC at 18 mps is interesting as well with the R3.
Yes the extra MPs is always welcome for birds / horses dogs cats it doesn't make a lot of difference as you can get closer .
Rob.

You're in the same thought process as I was two years ago, I decided that the A7R3 was right for me because of the ability to crop.

For perching birds it was fine providing the subject was clearly visible without too much foliage near to it, sometimes it was difficult to get instant focus and there could be some annoying hunting for focus.

It was when I tried to do birds in flight that the AF of the A7R3 became problematic to such an extent that I really stopped trying. Similarly when trying to get things like dragonflies in flight I found it frustrating.

In the end I realised that I was missing out on a large area of wildlife that I used to enjoy photographing and for that reason I sold the A7R3 and moved to the A9.

The A7R3 was easily the most advanced camera I have ever used and if my interests extended to other areas apart from wildlife then I would probably have kept it.

The A73 is known to have faster AF than the A7R3 and I haven't found having a lower resolution sensor on the A9 (as has the A73) anything of a handicap.
Sorry for a somewhat rambling response :giggle:

You're in the same thought process as I was two years ago, I decided that the A7R3 was right for me because of the ability to crop.

For perching birds it was fine providing the subject was clearly visible without too much foliage near to it, sometimes it was difficult to get instant focus and there could be some annoying hunting for focus.

It was when I tried to do birds in flight that the AF of the A7R3 became problematic to such an extent that I really stopped trying. Similarly when trying to get things like dragonflies in flight I found it frustrating.

In the end I realised that I was missing out on a large area of wildlife that I used to enjoy photographing and for that reason I sold the A7R3 and moved to the A9.

The A7R3 was easily the most advanced camera I have ever used and if my interests extended to other areas apart from wildlife then I would probably have kept it.

The A73 is known to have faster AF than the A7R3 and I haven't found having a lower resolution sensor on the A9 (as has the A73) anything of a handicap.
Sorry for a somewhat rambling response :giggle:
I like your ramblings very much, you’ve given me exactly the response I was looking for and plenty of food for thought.
I now have to decide wether or not to push the boat out even further for the A9 ( it’s in grave danger of sinking!), or stick with my original thoughts of the A73 for now and spend the rest of the budget on lenses.
It’s good to have some time on my side but this is a big purchase for me given that it will be a completely new system starting from scratch so I want it to be right as I don’t intend to switch again for the foreseeable future, if at all.

@footman I’m pretty certain that I’m getting the A9 now so, have you got the 200-600mm lens or the 100-400? I think I’d prefer the former as I’m pretty sure I’d be relying on an extender a lot of the time which doesn’t appeal to me as I had that combination with previous Canon gear and wasn’t convinced it suited me then.
Also, I think I’d like a Macro option (?) and a general purpose lens so I’m thinking 24-105mm as a walk around and the 90mm macro.
My other option would be to forget the designated macro and walk around for the time being and just get both of the big zooms? This would be in budget if I went grey.
I have a m43 small set up if I just want a landscape / travel option.

Last edited:
@footman have you got the 200-600mm lens or the 100-400? I think I’d prefer the former as I’m pretty sure I’d be relying on an extender a lot of the time which doesn’t appeal to me.
Also, I’d like a Macro option and a general purpose lens so I’m thinking 24-105mm as a walk around and the 90mm macro.
My other option would be to forget the designated macro and walk around for the time being and just get both of the big zooms? I have a m43 small set up if I just want a landscape / travel option.
Chris, at the moment I have the 100-400 and the 1.4x tc. I intend to purchase the 200-600 next week and over the next year or so make a decision as to whether to keep the 100-400.
I also have an order in for the 90mm macro lens. For everything else I use adapted Canon FD lenses. I have just divested myself of my remaining Olympus m4/3 kit.

Chris, at the moment I have the 100-400 and the 1.4x tc. I intend to purchase the 200-600 next week and over the next year or so make a decision as to whether to keep the 100-400.
I also have an order in for the 90mm macro lens. For everything else I use adapted Canon FD lenses. I have just divested myself of my remaining Olympus m4/3 kit.
Thanks Laurence, we seem to have similar aspirations regarding kit, maybe coming from similar origins in the past.
Prices for the 200-600 vary so much, e-finity are the cheapest I’ve seen so far but I’ve never bought from them so would be a little hesitant. I’ve used Panamoz & Hdew in the past without any issues. Definitely not liking the UK prices!

Thanks Laurence, we seem to have similar aspirations regarding kit, maybe coming from similar origins in the past.
Prices for the 200-600 vary so much, e-finity are the cheapest I’ve seen so far but I’ve never bought from them so would be a little hesitant. I’ve used Panamoz & Hdew in the past without any issues. Definitely not liking the UK prices!
I'm going for Panamoz and got a small discount from them! The used 200-600 prices from people like MPB are just a few pounds shy of the cost of a new one, ridiculous really. The 3 year Panamoz warranty and their reputation for good customer service is what finally swung it for me.

I'm going for Panamoz and got a small discount from them! The used 200-600 prices from people like MPB are just a few pounds shy of the cost of a new one, ridiculous really. The 3 year Panamoz warranty and their reputation for good customer service is what finally swung it for me.
Yes I think that will be my choice as well.
Thank you for all your help and advice, it really is appreciated and helped me a lot.
I think I’m going to like it here, just can’t wait for the time to pass so I can get the gear and start to enjoy myself!

4geQ5cm.jpg

3MZ66HV.jpg

The panamoz price has dropped over the past 2 days from £1620 to £1570.
I got mines from Panamoz for £1490 delivered.
Has a 3 year transferable UK warranty.
That's what sold it to me.
I've bought from e-infinity before without issue, but the warranty is only 1 year a d it's a return to base warranty.

The panamoz price has dropped over the past 2 days from £1620 to £1570.
I got mines from Panamoz for £1490 delivered.
Has a 3 year transferable UK warranty.
That's what sold it to me.
I've bought from e-infinity before without issue, but the warranty is only 1 year a d it's a return to base warranty.
Panamoz are my preferred choice, I know they’re good at after sales as well.
Hopefully the price will be similar (or maybe lower) when I’m ready to pull the trigger.
Did you haggle to get a lower price? I’ll be spending a fair bit when I do go ahead so if they do, it may well be worth asking some questions!

Due to the corona virus I'd bet on any orders being shipped in South East Asia will have delays

Panamoz are my preferred choice, I know they’re good at after sales as well.
Hopefully the price will be similar (or maybe lower) when I’m ready to pull the trigger.
Did you haggle to get a lower price? I’ll be spending a fair bit when I do go ahead so if they do, it may well be worth asking some questions!
I asked them in a email if they could get close to the e-infinity price.

Due to the corona virus I'd bet on any orders being shipped in South East Asia will have delays
No, mines was delayed by 2 days because of flight cancellations due to weather, and they offered a further £20 discount as compensation without me even asking.

Last edited:
Back