The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I've decided to sell at least some of my lenses as I simply don't use them anymore.
Lenses owned: loxia 21, 25, 35, 50, 85, Batis 25, Sony 90 macro, Meyer Optik 100.

I've contacted Wex for initial prices, and note I'm not intending to list them in the classifieds here, dislike the inevitable haggling and p&p thing
I'd appreciate opinions on what to keep?
And information on other commercial trade in places to get better quotes.
Or do these look like the best I'm going to get?

21 635
25 540
25 batis 527
35 443
50 355
85 527
90 sony 527

So I was thinking to let go the 21, 25 batis, the 85, the 90, and either the 35 or 50.
I'm definitely going to keep my A72 and the 100mm

At one time I was going to sell the lot, a real wrench, but shall give some another year.

Incidentally, having changed my contact email I have become a new member, but with a couple hundred posts !?!

Well they sold quickly (Jessops Used), anyone here grab them?

Screenshot 2020-02-16 at 09.05.32.png

No but I wouldn’t touch that 35mm 1.4 with a barge pole.

I was under the impression it was a stunning lens (if you got a good copy etc)

I've decided to sell at least some of my lenses as I simply don't use them anymore.
Lenses owned: loxia 21, 25, 35, 50, 85, Batis 25, Sony 90 macro, Meyer Optik 100.

I've contacted Wex for initial prices, and note I'm not intending to list them in the classifieds here, dislike the inevitable haggling and p&p thing
And information on other commercial trade in places to get better quotes.
Or do these look like the best I'm going to get?

21 635
25 540
25 batis 527
35 443
50 355
85 527
90 sony 527

So I was thinking to let go the 21, 25 batis, the 85, the 90, and either the 35 or 50.
I'm definitely going to keep my A72 and the 100mm

At one time I was going to sell the lot, a real wrench, but shall give some another year.

I'd take the Batis 25 without haggling. I

I was under the impression it was a stunning lens (if you got a good copy etc)

People say they randomly go decentered over time.

I'd take the Batis 25 without haggling. I

haha funnily enough I pm’d him an hour ago saying that I’d give him his asking + delivery for it if he wanted to sell.

People say they randomly go decentered over time.

Ahh now I recall something about shims in construction now you mention it.

Last edited:
Ahh now I recall something about shims in construction now you mention it.

I've read about this and I honestly don't know what they were thinking.

Were they using shims because they were going for a super well set up lens and forgetting they had to batch produce it or was it such a sloppy build that they needed the shims to put it right? Of those scenarios I suppose the first is an admirable ambition if in a production sense pretty much guaranteed to lead to problems. If the problem is that it's a sloppy build that needs putting right then it's a case of What The... from me. It all seems just barmy and in fact it's a What The... from me for any reasoning Sony might have used.

It's not breaking the rules is it.

I was simply telling him that if he wanted to sell it, I would pay the money. I would have then opened a classifieds ad to do the deal.

FYI @Cobra
I wouldn't risk taking the chance.
If you posted openly that you would have been interested if he were to sell, that's different to a PM saying you'd pay his asking price plus postage, as you could then be seen to be negotiating.
Not that I'm the forum police, just wouldn't want you to get a ban for an unintentional mistake :)

Last edited:
It's not breaking the rules is it.

I was simply telling him that if he wanted to sell it, I would pay the money. I would have then opened a classifieds ad to do the deal.

FYI @Cobra
Everyone say's that when they get caught ;)

I wouldn't risk taking the chance.
If you posted openly that you would have been interested if he were to sell, that's different to a PM saying you'd pay his asking price plus postage, as you could then be seen to be negotiating.
Exactly !

I’d be a bit stupid to do a deal through PMs, it’d not benefit me in the slightest.

yet people persist in doing so, then come crying to the forum staff when it all goes wrong and ask us to get involved. We don't say "classifieds only for selling" for the good of our health you know - we could just put up a rule saying "buy, sell, do what you want but it's not our problem when it all goes pecs up" and save the mod team around 70% of our workload. Instead we try and make it as safe as possible a place for people to trade in a trusted environment, and make ourselves a crapload of work into the bargain.

now, back to talking about your Televisions or whatever this threads supposed to be about.

Last edited:
Guys.

It's asked and answered and there's been Mod intervention so maybe instead of this back and forth we should now move on to other Sony related chat. Possibly about that interesting and tempting new thread in the for sale section... when it appears.

Good point.

And in today's Sony-related thoughts: ... I put the just-arrived X-T1 down next to my A7ii and thought "if only there was an A7 with dedicated dials". I've already decided that I don't need the R's megapixels, (nor cheetah-speed animal eye AF!) so every new iteration of the high-end A7 is very uninteresting to me. The only thing that would tempt me to upgrade the A7ii is the Fuji-style dials.

(The FF A7ii and APC-S X-T1 are pretty much the same size, so the genius packaging of the Sony engineers - IBIS, etc - is clear. So for now, I hope that the lead engineer happens on a Nikon Df and has a 'light-bulb' moment.)

21 635
25 540
25 batis 527
35 443
50 355
85 527
90 sony 527

I'd keep the 21, 35 and 50 and possibly the 90mm macro but I suppose some would skip the 50 and keep the 85 or macro. Another option could be selling the macro and cropping a non macro shot. It depends on the subject thought, a close up flower shot could maybe be a crop but I suppose a teeny tiny creepy crawly shot is really going to have to be taken with a macro.

Selling much loved kit is a wrench and something I struggle with but if that's what you've decided to do then good luck with the sales :D

Good point.

And in today's Sony-related thoughts: ... I put the just-arrived X-T1 down next to my A7ii and thought "if only there was an A7 with dedicated dials". I've already decided that I don't need the R's megapixels, (nor cheetah-speed animal eye AF!) so every new iteration of the high-end A7 is very uninteresting to me. The only thing that would tempt me to upgrade the A7ii is the Fuji-style dials.

(The FF A7ii and APC-S X-T1 are pretty much the same size, so the genius packaging of the Sony engineers - IBIS, etc - is clear. So for now, I hope that the lead engineer happens on a Nikon Df and has a 'light-bulb' moment.)

This is something I've thought about many times but in the end the kit is what it is and I've decided that dedicated dials don't matter to me enough to influence any buying decision. The A7 does indeed have dedicated dials it's just that they're multi functional and assignable and not indelibly labelled aperture and shutter in a way that can be seen when the camera is sat on a coffee table.

For me it's usability that matters and once I've picked the camera up from the coffee table and put my eye to the evf I wouldn't be able to see those lovely dedicated Fuji dials so the Sony ones do the job just fine and as an added bonus they're exactly where I want them to be.

yet people persist in doing so, then come crying to the forum staff when it all goes wrong and ask us to get involved. We don't say "classifieds only for selling" for the good of our health you know - we could just put up a rule saying "buy, sell, do what you want but it's not our problem when it all goes pecs up" and save the mod team around 70% of our workload. Instead we try and make it as safe as possible a place for people to trade in a trusted environment, and make ourselves a crapload of work into the bargain.

now, back to talking about your Televisions or whatever this threads supposed to be about.

I already know all that and as stated above, I wouldn’t do a trade outside the classifieds.

Anyway. Back to Sony.

This is something I've thought about many times but in the end the kit is what it is and I've decided that dedicated dials don't matter to me enough to influence any buying decision. The A7 does indeed have dedicated dials it's just that they're multi functional and assignable and not indelibly labelled aperture and shutter in a way that can be seen when the camera is sat on a coffee table.

For me it's usability that matters and once I've picked the camera up from the coffee table and put my eye to the evf I wouldn't be able to see those lovely dedicated Fuji dials so the Sony ones do the job just fine and as an added bonus they're exactly where I want them to be.

The thing most useful to me with dedicated dials is that I can know the settings even before lifting the camera to my eye. Even when the camera is still switched off.

The thing most useful to me with dedicated dials is that I can know the settings even before lifting the camera to my eye. Even when the camera is still switched off.

Yes, there is that visual aid and they look very nice too, just like cameras did in the film age but I can tell you what state any of my cameras will power up into. It's not as if they lose their settings and it's a complete mystery when they power up. I don't even need to put the camera to my eye as the settings will be displayed on the rear screen, if that's what I want.

Good point.

I will admit, I've always liked the look of the Fuji cameras with the dials. I did try one a few years back, but I preferred the A7 in the end.

I'd keep the 21, 35 and 50 and possibly the 90mm macro but I suppose some would skip the 50 and keep the 85 or macro. Another option could be selling the macro and cropping a non macro shot. It depends on the subject thought, a close up flower shot could maybe be a crop but I suppose a teeny tiny creepy crawly shot is really going to have to be taken with a macro.

Selling much loved kit is a wrench and something I struggle with but if that's what you've decided to do then good luck with the sales :D

Thanks woofwoof
Thing is, the 21 is wide, I find it really wide; and gives a modern-looking ultra pin sharp image as does the 85 that is also great, but not really to my taste. I thought I might use the 21 for architect & astro but nope. Architecture and landscapes are good on 25mm.
The 90 requires a tripod and I can't get into macro. I've stated before that portraits shots seem harsh on the skin etc and I actually prefer the 100 for both focal length and the less clinical feel. I really like the images from the 100 when it works.
The 35 stopped down is very nice, so maybe keep that and sell the 50.

I'm not selling them on this website and will delete any money related PM's without responing.
Unless anyone can recommend another shop as I asked, I suggest you look in the Wex classified in a few weeks time

Yes, there is that visual aid and they look very nice too, just like cameras did in the film age but I can tell you what state any of my cameras will power up into. It's not as if they lose their settings and it's a complete mystery when they power up. I don't even need to put the camera to my eye as the settings will be displayed on the rear screen, if that's what I want.

I'm impressed that you can remember the aperture + shutter speed + ISO setting that you last used. I'm constantly changing them depending on the shot. I guess our workflow differs. And
alas, I use reading glasses, so the rear LCD is no use to me for that info.

Thanks woofwoof
Thing is, the 21 is wide, I find it really wide; and gives a modern-looking ultra pin sharp image as does the 85 that is also great, but not really to my taste. I thought I might use the 21 for architect & astro but nope. Architecture and landscapes are good on 25mm.
The 90 requires a tripod and I can't get into macro. I've stated before that portraits shots seem harsh on the skin etc and I actually prefer the 100 for both focal length and the less clinical feel. I really like the images from the 100 when it works.
The 35 stopped down is very nice, so maybe keep that and sell the 50.

I'm not selling them on this website and will delete any money related PM's without responing.
Unless anyone can recommend another shop as I asked, I suggest you look in the Wex classified in a few weeks time
You could ask MPB for a quote, they pay cash on everything whereas Wex only offer cash on specific items and it’s not very extensive. If it’s pure part-ex then it’s still worth comparing prices.

I'm impressed that you can remember the aperture + shutter speed + ISO setting that you last used. I'm constantly changing them depending on the shot. I guess our workflow differs. And
alas, I use reading glasses, so the rear LCD is no use to me for that info.

I change my settings all the time but if I'm in aperture or shutter priority then the other setting is going to float :D The ISO will be on auto.

I presume you sometimes have one dial set to A so you'll be in the same position and will only know for certain what one of your settings is until you look at a display and see the other. If in "manual" you'll see both dials but I'll know my camera is set to 1/160 and f1.x. It's not rocket science and only takes a very small amount of available memory space in me 'ed. I normally use aperture until the light drops to the point that the shutter speed is too low and then switch to manual.

I do see the attraction of dedicated labelled dials but I do think that in my case it's mostly just visual appeal rather than any truly practical reason.

Last edited:
Back