The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

TGphoto, I like your next photo of Bamburgh even more

When this tamron 70-180 2.8 out

Hoping it at the photo show

Love this, lens performing well for you!
be good to see some of your wildlife shots when you get a chance to try it out.

Looks like the new 20mm f/1.8 won't be the cheapish lens many where expecting.

It is getting an aperture control ring like the G.M lenses.

Looks like the new 20mm f/1.8 won't be the cheapish lens many where expecting.

It is getting an aperture control ring like the G.M lenses.
I'm expecting it to cost around £1k which puts it in the middle of the 24 GM and the lower non 'G' rated lenses.

Last edited:
There one thing I wish the A9 does is detect human and animal eye itself rather than turning on which one

Which prime?

That depends entirely on you and your preference. 20mm? 24, 28, 35, 50, 85mm... Choices, choices.

I'd go for a 35mm, either the tiny f2.8 or the bigger f1.8. There's the f1.4 too and if you want unadapted and AF those are your choices, 35mm wise. If you're happy with adapted lenses or MF the world is your oyster.

The 55mm f1.8 is an excellent lens and worth a look.

Tamron 28-75 2.8 + 24/25mm prime or Sony 24-70 2.8 GM?

which would you pick?
For what end use?

I currently use the Tamron 28-75, as well as 25mm, 35mm and 85mm primes. For weddings i use the primes most of the time, switching to the zoom for speeches sometimes or as a dancefloor lens. Currently debating selling the Tamron and changing for the sony 24-70 as I often find the Tamron a little tight at 28mm. but as a business decision need to weigh up the cost and not sure on that one at the moment

For what end use?

I currently use the Tamron 28-75, as well as 25mm, 35mm and 85mm primes. For weddings i use the primes most of the time, switching to the zoom for speeches sometimes or as a dancefloor lens. Currently debating selling the Tamron and changing for the sony 24-70 as I often find the Tamron a little tight at 28mm. but as a business decision need to weigh up the cost and not sure on that one at the moment

For weddings, landscape and travel. I should also say I do also have the 35mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8 primes.

Tamron I already own, I find the 28mm a massive limitation to be honest. Very tempted by the GM, but the size and weight are a burden (I know the sigma 24mm 1.4 is massive but I would also have the option of the compact zoom).

I am also considering keeping my primes and adding the 24-105 f4, then the Tamron 17-28.

That would give me good coverage, but the 24-105 could only be used in good light at weddings.

Ok I have a few questions regarding the A7RIV.

I’d like some honest opinions on the A7R IV autofocus in single point AF-C please, especially in terms of speed of acquisition and ability to nail focus during burst shooting. Does it lock on immediately and what sort of accuracy/hit rate would you expect shooting someone running towards the camera and towards the camera at a 3/4 angle? If anyone’s used the D750, D850, and/or the Olympus EM1-II how would you compare it for the above AF scenarios?

Does 10fps give you a real time view in the EVF or slide show view?

Can you set up a button to switch between FF and APS-C (DX) mode?

What focus confirmation do you get with manual focus? Obviously you can use peaking and zoom, but do you get any other confirmation such as the focus dot on Nikon cameras, or the AF point box turning green? Do these focus aids also work with manual focus only

I see that the panorama feature has been removed (god knows why) but I can’t see any option for HDR or diorama/miniature either, have these options been taken away too?

What’s the sensor readout time? Can you shoot sports with the electronic shutter or is there still a risk of rolling shutter?

Can you customise the display on the LCD/EVF or is there just a choice of preset displays eg shooting data, histogram etc etc.

Sorry for all the questions ;)

Last edited:
I'd keep the 21, 35 and 50 and possibly the 90mm macro but I suppose some would skip the 50 and keep the 85 or macro. Another option could be selling the macro and cropping a non macro shot. It depends on the subject thought, a close up flower shot could maybe be a crop but I suppose a teeny tiny creepy crawly shot is really going to have to be taken with a macro.

Selling much loved kit is a wrench and something I struggle with but if that's what you've decided to do then good luck with the sales :D

Thanks woof and wardy07. I tried the places you suggested, and have now accepted a cash offer.

Decision made was quite severe, am keeping only three out of eight lenses: the loxia 35, loxia 50, and Trioplan 100.
Hopefully all this will focus my mind into taking some photos.

I’d like some honest opinions on the A7R IV autofocus in single point AF-C please, especially in terms of speed of acquisition and ability to nail focus during burst shooting. Does it lock on immediately and what sort of accuracy/hit rate would you expect shooting someone running towards the camera and towards the camera at a 3/4 angle? If anyone’s used the D750, D850, and/or the Olympus EM1-II how would you compare it for the above AF scenarios?

What focus confirmation do you get with manual focus? Obviously you can use peaking and zoom, but do you get any other confirmation such as the focus dot on Nikon cameras, or the AF point box turning green? Do these focus aids also work with manual focus only

I see that the panorama feature has been removed (god knows why) but I can’t see any option for HDR or diorama/miniature either, have these options been taken away too?

What’s the sensor readout time? Can you shoot sports with the electronic shutter or is there still a risk of rolling shutter?

Can you customise the display on the LCD/EVF or is there just a choice of preset displays eg shooting data, histogram etc etc.

I can answer the 10FPS question. If it’s like the A7Riii it will be slide show at 10FPS on Hi+. That’s one of the reasons I changed to the A9. Your questions are about AF, accuracy and shooting sports with the electronic shutter can be answered by saying you would be better off with the A9/A9ii. It’s the camera that’s designed for those situations. It doesn’t have the huge MP sensor but 24MP was and is still good enough for most things.

I don’t think the LCD/EVF are customisable in the information they display. For me it displays all the info I need. The big advantage is the control buttons are customisable. That’s a fantastic feature to be able to set what you want and where. I’d expect you could set a button to alter between fx and dx.

I can answer the 10FPS question. If it’s like the A7Riii it will be slide show at 10FPS on Hi+. That’s one of the reasons I changed to the A9. Your questions are about AF, accuracy and shooting sports with the electronic shutter can be answered by saying you would be better off with the A9/A9ii. It’s the camera that’s designed for those situations. It doesn’t have the huge MP sensor but 24MP was and is still good enough for most things.

I don’t think the LCD/EVF are customisable in the information they display. For me it displays all the info I need. The big advantage is the control buttons are customisable. That’s a fantastic feature to be able to set what you want and where. I’d expect you could set a button to alter between fx and dx.
Thanks for your reply. My question regarding AF accuracy and speed were in reference to using the mechanical shutter not electronic one (y)

The A9 is not on the radar, I’m wanting the A7R IV to be able to crop to a 2x crop whilst still retaining a decent image size, so that I can use the 100-400mm with the effective reach of 800mm :D

In order to get real time view in the EVF what is the max frame rate?

Thanks for your reply. My question regarding AF accuracy and speed were in reference to using the mechanical shutter not electronic one (y)

The A9 is not on the radar, I’m wanting the A7R IV to be able to crop to a 2x crop whilst still retaining a decent image size, so that I can use the 100-400mm with the effective reach of 800mm :D

In order to get real time view in the EVF what is the max frame rate?
I shoot sports on the r3 and it does a decent job at it but I also have an a9 and that's on another level. You can definetly do with the r3 or r4 for fast action shots

I shoot sports on the r3 and it does a decent job at it but I also have an a9 and that's on another level. You can definetly do with the r3 or r4 for fast action shots
TBH I wouldn't say I did too much "fast action" but what I do need is 'instant' AF acquisition and the ability for around a 99% hit rate of someone running towards the camera. That's what the D750 and D850 gave me.

AF
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-a7r-iv-review/7

8FPS gives real time view

Yes, lots of customisation available via buttons

A7riv does have sweep panorama, it also has pixel shift

Sensor readout time is 1/10 FF 14 Bit, 1/20 FF 12 Bit, or 1/30 APSC crop 12 Bit. Definitely no sport!

There are preset displays, and you can customise the displays
https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/sony-a7r-iv-display-settings/

Last edited:
AF
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-a7r-iv-review/7

8FPS gives real time view

Yes, lots of customisation available via buttons

A7riv does have sweep panorama, it also has pixel shift

Sensor readout time is 1/10 FF 14 Bit, 1/20 FF 12 Bit, or 1/30 APSC crop 12 Bit. Definitely no sport!

There are preset displays, and you can customise the displays
https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/sony-a7r-iv-display-settings/
Thanks very much, very helpful (y). Strange that I couldn't find the sweep panorama setting o_O

@snerkler I know this isn’t exactly an answer to your question but, I was watching a very informative video on YouTube regarding the A73 and you can definitely set a button for APS-C and 2x Zoom on that as the guy was demonstrating it in action doing just that.

Last edited:
Back