The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I can imagine ISO gets pretty high in the UK at f9 1/3200?
I tend to shoot when the sun is out so 1000/1600 for that setting with the TC so without it's half that so not too high overall.
Rob.

Looks tasty, but a £950 prime in 2020 damn well ought to. I like the close focusing ability, bit like the Fuji 16 1.4 [though that one can get 3cm closer] - should be sweet for some funky wide close ups

I can't remember how much the Sigma 20mm f1.8 I had for my Canon DSLR's was but I'd guess that adjusted for inflation this Sony lens will be competitive and almost certainly a better lens.

Ok sorry to interrupt :)

I have just bought NEW Sony a7Riii - It has 2 memory card slots, I have my fastest card in slot one and a similar card in slot 2

My question is- if slot card 1 becomes full, does the camera automatically switch to slot 2, or do I have to access this via the menu?

Thanks in advance

Les :)

Ok sorry to interrupt :)

I have just bought NEW Sony a7Riii - It has 2 memory card slots, I have my fastest card in slot one and a similar card in slot 2

My question is- if slot card 1 becomes full, does the camera automatically switch to slot 2, or do I have to access this via the menu?

Thanks in advance

Les :)

Depends what you choose in the setting you can either set it as a back up or as an overflow if setting as a back up you can send raws to one card and jpegs to the other or raws to both, jpegs to both.You can also set one for photos and one for video.

Last edited:
Depends what you choose in the setting you can either set it as a back up or as an overflow if setting as a back up you can send raws to one card and jpegs to the other or raws to both, jpegs to both.You can also set one for photos and one for video.

Thank you Tommy - do you know where in the menu I can find these options please?

I got a Smallrig Arca Swiss bracket for my A7Rii and it's made a world of difference to the handling Toby.
Won't make any difference in the gap between lens and grip ;) Anyway, I'm happy with the R4 :D

Won't make any difference in the gap between lens and grip ;) Anyway, I'm happy with the R4 :D

Could have gone for the A9 II, same body I think. Few less pixels and a bit more £, IIRC you wanted the option to crop more though.

Could have gone for the A9 II, same body I think. Few less pixels and a bit more £, IIRC you wanted the option to crop more though.
Yes the whole point was to give me a 2x crop whilst retaining respectable mp count (y)

I've been struggling to find a way to process my Sony images that gives me the desired look and colours, the hues were always off and it looked a little muted with less pop. I was using the camera standard colour profile, changed hues, changed white and highlight levels etc etc and nothing worked. I tried this with all the different colour profiles and finally found one that works for me, camera clear. It's far too contrasty initially but dealing this right back and then altering hues gives me the colours and tones that I want, but also doesn't mute the highlights and whites as much as camera standard and gives it more pop (to my eyes).

I'm sure I'll have to fine tune it a little but I've gone back and edited all my Betty pics and they're looking much more like my Nikon ones now so I'm a very happy chappy :D

I've been struggling to find a way to process my Sony images that gives me the desired look and colours, the hues were always off and it looked a little muted with less pop. I was using the camera standard colour profile, changed hues, changed white and highlight levels etc etc and nothing worked. I tried this with all the different colour profiles and finally found one that works for me, camera clear. It's far too contrasty initially but dealing this right back and then altering hues gives me the colours and tones that I want, but also doesn't mute the highlights and whites as much as camera standard and gives it more pop (to my eyes).

I'm sure I'll have to fine tune it a little but I've gone back and edited all my Betty pics and they're looking much more like my Nikon ones now so I'm a very happy chappy :D

Man sells Nikon, Man Buys Sony, Man spends half of the rest of his life trying to make the Sony handle like a Nikon, and the other half playing in Lightroom to make the files look like a Nikon. There is a clue somewhere!!!

Man sells Nikon, Man Buys Sony, Man spends half of the rest of his life trying to make the Sony handle like a Nikon, and the other half playing in Lightroom to make the files look like a Nikon. There is a clue somewhere!!!
:ROFLMAO:

Man tries to find a single system that works for him and succeeds :woot:

:ROFLMAO:

This is so true.

I think everyone does the same to be fair having talking to a lot of others who switched brands.

I sort of did the same thing myself when I switched from Nikon, setting everything up to be more like the Nikon's I had previously. It probably took a month or so before I started changing everything to what suits me now rather than what suited when I shot Nikon.

In terms of the files, it took a little bit of adjustment on my own presets to make them look like I wanted because of the slightly different way each brand handles colours but I had been through that process before when I tried Canon and Fuji as well so wasn't any hassle really.

Last edited:
Looking at all the pre release stuff on the Tamron 70-180mm it doesn’t look to have a tripod collar, has anyone seen anything as to whether you’ll be able to get one for it?

Looking at all the pre release stuff on the Tamron 70-180mm it doesn’t look to have a tripod collar, has anyone seen anything as to whether you’ll be able to get one for it?

Wouldn’t have thought there would be an option for one with such a light weight lens.

Wouldn’t have thought there would be an option for one with such a light weight lens.
Would be a shame tbh, after all it’s a sports lens which could mean an entire day of shooting and in such scenarios I like to use a monopod. The 70-200mm f4’s have tripod collars and they’re no heavier.

Yep, Sony 35mm f2.8, Samyang 24mm f2.8 and 45mm f1.8, and Sony 28-70mm all on the way. 100-400mm, 16-35mm f4 and Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 will be ordered before long.

Not 100% sure the 28-70mm FL is something I'm going to use a lot as most landscapes will be with the 16-35mm so picked the Sony up cheap for now, plus it's light. If I find I use it quite a bit I'll look into the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 at some point (y) I'll not lose much, if anything on the 28-70mm.

You moved to Sony? :eek:

What else have I missed!?

Hope all is okay mate, keep well.

thanks.

I should be fine, today it’s the 10th day and temp hasn’t gone above 36.74c (oral), no cough and no cold/flu like symptoms.

I took a lot of precautions when I was in Korea, it gave me a head start really in hygiene prep for this than any WHO advice.

i would

1 - wash my hands every time I walk pass a bathroom.
2 - I try not touch anything, things like avoid touching handrails on the subway, door handles. I would push with my elbow if it’s push. If I had to pull, I would sanitise my hands immediately.
3 - I had a N95/99 mask on
4 - I would shower the second I am through the door, washing my hair every night.
5 - I wipe down my phone, wallet with Dettol every night.
6 - I avoided physical contact with anyone. No handshakes.

I washed my hands so much it got really dry, I have kept up with the washing habit even now I am home alone.

thanks.

I should be fine, today it’s the 10th day and temp hasn’t gone above 36.74c (oral), no cough and no cold/flu like symptoms.

I took a lot of precautions when I was in Korea, it gave me a head start really in hygiene prep for this than any WHO advice.

i would

1 - wash my hands every time I walk pass a bathroom.
2 - I try not touch anything, things like avoid touching handrails on the subway, door handles. I would push with my elbow if it’s push. If I had to pull, I would sanitise my hands immediately.
3 - I had a N95/99 mask on
4 - I would shower the second I am through the door, washing my hair every night.
5 - I wipe down my phone, wallet with Dettol every night.
6 - I avoided physical contact with anyone. No handshakes.

I washed my hands so much it got really dry, I have kept up with the washing habit even now I am home alone.

You missed:
7. Bathe in 99% alcohol.

the irony is that when I landed in Korea, it has less infected than the UK have today.

scary how fast this is moving!

Only a matter of time before we all have it here.

You were lucky you got the trip when you did,it seems more and more flights and restrictions have started to alit more places.

Still gutted our China trip was cancelled and don’t think we will be going anywhere else now.

Only a matter of time before we all have it here.

You were lucky you got the trip when you did,it seems more and more flights and restrictions have started to alit more places.

Still gutted our China trip was cancelled and don’t think we will be going anywhere else now.

I thought that, it took a big jump about 2 days before I left from like 35 to 200 then to like 600 when I left.

Can someone give me some eBay help ?!

I purchased a used A7r III described as 'immaculate' - it certainly looked it in the photos.

I recieved it today and it is not immaculate - there is rubbing on all the bottom corners.

I know they are easy to mark but its not been described accurately - can anyone offer any advice ?

thanks

Can someone give me some eBay help ?!

I purchased a used A7r III described as 'immaculate' - it certainly looked it in the photos.

I recieved it today and it is not immaculate - there is rubbing on all the bottom corners.

I know they are easy to mark but its not been described accurately - can anyone offer any advice ?

thanks
I would contact the seller first and tell them you’re not happy as the camera is not as described and highlight why.
If they don’t give you a satisfactory solution, you can open a dispute through Ebay (and PayPal if necessary) and they will act on your behalf - invariably they are on the buyers side especially if the item condition is not as the seller suggested.
You could just ask for a refund right away via Ebay resolution centre stating the reason why and you’ll almost certainly get it.
They aren’t the quickest, usually takes a few days but as the item isn’t what the seller said it was, there really shouldn’t be a problem.
The seller may offer a part refund if you are happy to keep it at a lesser price but that is obviously your decision.
Hope this helps and good luck in resolving it.

Back