The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

In the menu there should be a section for customising the dials, top front and top back. You should be able to set things up so that you can at least live with them.

Other than that one thing which may help with the shutter speed issue is to set some custom settings. You could have a custom setting set up for manual with whatever aperture you want and 1/250 (or whatever) with auto ISO and eye/face detect and anything else you fancy and another with different settings...

This would give you the option of using aperture as normal and setting whatever you want and then switching quite quickly to a custom setting with known values without having to change anything except selecting the custom setting.

Customising a setting sounds like a good idea but as I’m currently struggling to set both the shutter speed and aperture simply in manual mode I’ve still got a long journey to go before then.

Look wed all love a fast APSC/FF prime that is optically perfect with a 1.4 aperture and is only 10mm in length with a build quality like a brick outhouse and triple linear AF motors, but it aint going to happen.

How about taking everything I post and massively exaggerating it to make a nit picking point? Oh, you've already done that? Well done Twist :D

Sometimes I forget that the internet tends to be a place of nit picking exaggeration so I'll edit what I originally posted above to say what it should have said just for you. Here you go. Changes are highlighted.

"Having said that I'm all for pushing things on and I hope they do but adding another control dial would be my first choice and adding a more compact 24mm f1.8/2 lens lens would be high on my list too. A new sensor would be nice but the current one wouldn't stop me buying into the system whereas other things do."

The dials and the lack of a more compact 35mm f1.8/2 equiv lens are the main things that've put me off in the past. That and that I already have these in MFT. I might get a Sony APS-C RF style camera at some point as if would make more sense for me but the dials and one or two of the lens choices are bigger put offs for me than small percentage differences in sensors.

Customising a setting sounds like a good idea but as I’m currently struggling to set both the shutter speed and aperture simply in manual mode I’ve still got a long journey to go before then.

Maybe you could Google your way to a youtube video showing you how to do this and that? Maybe, as there seems to be a vid for just about anything.

Glad you're getting there.

PS.
The main thing is not to read the manual. It's much better to ask other men on the internet :D

Bought from E-infinity and the manual supplied was as useful as a not very useful thing. Have to say that the responses you get on here are great so may just carry on displaying my modern digital camera ignorance on the WWW for all to see :D

Ok so it looks like manual mode is the way to go, next question how do you set the two different parameters of aperture and shutter speed. Currently the wheel that changes the aperture in AP mode changes the shutter speed when in manual mode but can’t work out how to then toggle over to setting the aperture. Back in my day I’d just change the aperture on my lens!!,,, Apologies if these seem very basic controls and thanks for all your help and suggestions to date.
Worked out how to change both now and feel such a dunce!!!! Just shows you have to play around with your camera and it’s dials
Was going to say, when in manual mode the rear dial changes shutter and the front aperture (y)

yep looks bad but....
did you test on a tripod? there seems to be a little shake.

mine wasn't as bad as his test chart though.
Not on a tripod but I can't see any shake tbh, it's not the best print. But shake or not the left side is clearly worse than the right :(

I do like the 35mm 1.8 FE. It seems like it does everything well. But I’m not 100% it’s for me. My bread and butter is the 70-200 which rarely leaves the Camera so not sure how much use the 35mm will actually get.

I might consider getting a couple of Samyangs instead.

Not on a tripod but I can't see any shake tbh, it's not the best print. But shake or not the left side is clearly worse than the right :(

Yes it looks worst but if it's not a tripod how can you be sure it was parallel to the wall when you took the shot.
Your initial testing is definitely a cause for concern but I wouldn't send it back before testing it properly on a tripod.

About a month in my Canon to Sony switch ... definitely (for me!!) it has been the right choice.
Last Canon camera going at the end of the week - then it is all Sony in my camera bag. 2 x A9 II and 1 x A7R mkIV
Has been interesting to go into a new eco-system for the first time since I started photography.

Not sure if it me all of a sudden becoming a better photographer or what.. but I do think my rate of keepers has increased since the switch (I do 99% sports)

So - a switch that was (and maybe still is :) ) full of pitfalls.. has so far gone swimmingly.

Well if you want to save yourself the hassle of swapping 5 copies there is a 24GM in sales ;)

About a month in my Canon to Sony switch ... definitely (for me!!) it has been the right choice.
Last Canon camera going at the end of the week - then it is all Sony in my camera bag. 2 x A9 II and 1 x A7R mkIV
Has been interesting to go into a new eco-system for the first time since I started photography.

Not sure if it me all of a sudden becoming a better photographer or what.. but I do think my rate of keepers has increased since the switch (I do 99% sports)

So - a switch that was (and maybe still is :) ) full of pitfalls.. has so far gone swimmingly.

What lenses are you using? :)

What lenses are you using? :)

Using various brands.

Sony 70-200mm f2.8
Sigma 24-70mm f.28
Sigma 14-22mm f2.8
Laowa Zero-D 12mm f2.8
Sigma 105mm f1.4 (man!! Why have I not bought this lens earlier!!!)

and getting

Sony 28-135mm lens - which will mainly be for video.. as I do fair bit of that as well.

Then I do have an EF-E adapter - just so I could keep my :
Canon 200mm f1.8
Just could not bear the thought of losing this :)
It is not as good as it was on the Canon native body.. but still delivers results.

Using various brands.

Sony 70-200mm f2.8
Sigma 24-70mm f.28
Sigma 14-22mm f2.8
Laowa Zero-D 12mm f2.8

and getting

Sony 28-135mm lens - which will mainly be for video.. as I do fair bit of that as well.

Canon 200mm f1.8
It is not as good as it was on the Canon native body.. but still delivers results.

Nice set of lens.
Interesting you have gone with 12mm/2.8 and 14-24/2.8. you must really want the f2.8 aperture.
There is a Sony 12-24mm f2.8 rumoured :D

Nice set of lens.
Interesting you have gone after 12mm/2.8 as 14-24/2.8. you must really want the f2.8 aperture.
There is a Sony 12-24mm f2.8 rumoured :D

I do lot of sports - and the f2.8 is nice to have, even if I do use the wider lenses mainly f4 or so.
And the Laowa 12mm just popped out when I was looking for wider lenses...
Being Zero-D was also big thing - so that there is no need to fix horizon in PP.
Plus it not being from Sony/Sigma, etc .. it was relatively affordable (if there is such thing)

Yes, there are always rumours of new lenses.. the ones I would love to hear about are :
Sony 300mm f2.8

Sigma (or anyone!!!) 120-300mm f2.8

I do see a trend here with f2.8 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Using various brands.

Sony 70-200mm f2.8
Sigma 24-70mm f.28
Sigma 14-22mm f2.8
Laowa Zero-D 12mm f2.8

and getting

Canon 200mm f1.8

200 1.8 :eek::love:

Yes it looks worst but if it's not a tripod how can you be sure it was parallel to the wall when you took the shot.
Your initial testing is definitely a cause for concern but I wouldn't send it back before testing it properly on a tripod.
Shooting handheld you can be pretty sure you're parallel to something or not. But I will test again to be sure.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back