The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

EJUuI16.jpg

Took the dogs up local hills yesterday- no crowds there but did see 2 people about 1/4 mile away. Read how good the focus on A9 II and 24-105 was, but still surprised how accurate, must be over 95% in focus on our speedy labradoodle mongrel.
Was going to wait to see what the Tamron 70-180 was like but seem to have bought a used 70-200 F4 on eBay. New camera kit prices have shot up so don’t think the Tamron would be such a bargain now.
2 issues though. Even my Mrs will notice it’s a new lens unless I get a black sharpie and will need to isolate it for a few days I suppose

Took the dogs up local hills yesterday- no crowds there but did see 2 people about 1/4 mile away. Read how good the focus on A9 II and 24-105 was, but still surprised how accurate, must be over 95% in focus on our speedy labradoodle mongrel.
Was going to wait to see what the Tamron 70-180 was like but seem to have bought a used 70-200 F4 on eBay. New camera kit prices have shot up so don’t think the Tamron would be such a bargain now.
2 issues though. Even my Mrs will notice it’s a new lens unless I get a black sharpie and will need to isolate it for a few days I suppose

Tell her you did some arts and craft and painted your existing lens white ;)

Anyone else using the 200-600 A7R4 combo? Some subjects are no problem and it nails focus everytime, other times its a 90% miss rate. Took a good few shots of this tree creeper, this is the sharpest one. The others are all out of focus :( Seems quite a few threads are popping up elsewhere about it, might be time to buy an A9ii
Tree Creeper by liam tattersall, on Flickr

What focus points ? this is clearly a case for single point and should not miss 90%
Rob.

What focus points ? this is clearly a case for single point and should not miss 90%
Rob.
It seems almost everyone with this combo are having the same issues (its on a few other forums). I have tried a lot of different settings and all focus modes but like many others its not improved anything.

It seems almost everyone with this combo are having the same issues (its on a few other forums). I have tried a lot of different settings and all focus modes but like many others its not improved anything.
Try with a faster shutter speed, if its being reported widely, it could be a potential issue with the design. :(

Try with a faster shutter speed, if its being reported widely, it could be a potential issue with the design. :(
I've tried all the way up to 1/2000 and its definitely not shutter speed :( It's not missed focus or front / back focus either as there isn't one area of the shot that is in focus. Annoying.

I would try a test on a static subject in good light, tripod mount and get 1/4000 sec I always do this to check my gear if your shots aren't sharp then there is a problem .
Rob.
Edit you posted first, try the above with single point CAF and Single af .

Last edited:
I've tried all the way up to 1/2000 and its definitely not shutter speed :( It's not missed focus or front / back focus either as there isn't one area of the shot that is in focus. Annoying.

Warranty it, read of this combo issue to.

Anyone else using the 200-600 A7R4 combo? Some subjects are no problem and it nails focus everytime, other times its a 90% miss rate. Took a good few shots of this tree creeper, this is the sharpest one. The others are all out of focus :( Seems quite a few threads are popping up elsewhere about it, might be time to buy an A9ii
Tree Creeper by liam tattersall, on Flickr

Have you done the A7RIV firmware update from a couple of months ago?

It mentioned something to do with the 200-600. Do see a lot of people complaining about that combo though.

Have you done the A7RIV firmware update from a couple of months ago?

It mentioned something to do with the 200-600. Do see a lot of people complaining about that combo though.
Yes the body is updated
I would try a test on a static subject in good light, tripod mount and get 1/4000 sec I always do this to check my gear if your shots aren't sharp then there is a problem .
Rob.
Edit you posted first, try the above with single point CAF and Single af .
I've tried a tripod, single af, all focus modes etc :(
Warranty it, read of this combo issue to.
I have two copies and both are the same but they work perfect on a mk3 body.

Yes the body is updated

I've tried a tripod, single af, all focus modes etc :(

I have two copies and both are the same but they work perfect on a mk3 body.

The body, not the lens. I did read another guy had to also send lens and body together but it was perfect afterwards.

Help needed: Shy Sony owner ruined my camera

Well, sort of: the A7ii I bought from Camera Jungle arrived with the white Sony logo blacked out with what looks like biro/marker ink. Too shy, perhaps? Anyway, with the time to catch up on all the little jobs at home in the current situation, I want to remove the ink and make the white logo visible again. My first attempt with cotton buds and very mild soap got hardly anything off. And a bathroom cleaner solution didn't make any difference.

So - what solvents might I try that could dissolve the ink, but not Sony's white paint? (Nor the black paint on the body itself.)

Ideas, please! :)

Well, sort of: the A7ii I bought from Camera Jungle arrived with the white Sony logo blacked out with what looks like biro/marker ink. Too shy, perhaps? Anyway, with the time to catch up on all the little jobs at home in the current situation, I want to remove the ink and make the white logo visible again. My first attempt with cotton buds and very mild soap got hardly anything off. And a bathroom cleaner solution didn't make any difference.

So - what solvents might I try that could dissolve the ink, but not Sony's white paint? (Nor the black paint on the body itself.)

Go over with sharpie and wipe off.

Have you tried an alcohol/medi wipe? WD-40 should also shift it, just a dab on some tissue or a Q-Tip

Rubbing alcohol, IPA (not the drink). Test on bottom first to check it won't remove paint. 70% IPA injection swabs are very good and mild so won't remove paint.

Or if your worried, buy the expensive genuine Sony LCD screen protector as it has the Sony logo on it ;)

White spirit is the most likely to be effective that you'll normally find at home. Otherwise use another sharpie of the same type on top & then wipe quickly.

Full lockdown. Looks like all our gear gunna collect dust like @Riz_Guru hehe

Not me, thankfully managed to bag a contract for shooting clothes which will keep me busy for a couple of months. Will be the most boring, tedious job ever but will stick a few quid in my pocket to slightly limit the huge loss of income I have due to all weddings for the next few months at least being cancelled.

Never could have even imagined that I would be in a position where over a week or so I would lose over 25k worth of business.

We are living in the end times. :oops: :$

Last edited:
Not me, thankfully managed to bag a contract for shooting clothes which will keep me busy for a couple of months. Will be the most boring, tedious job ever but will stick a few quid in my pocket to slightly limit the huge loss of income I have due to all weddings for the next few months at least being cancelled.

Never could have even imagined that I would be in a position where over a week or so I would lose over 25k worth of business.

Scary stuff.

well done for getting some work. Product photography may be dull, at least once they are set up you can rack through them quit easily.

Have a break,..... have a KitKat.

Last day of 'freedom' for a while, glad I made the effort to go up to Higger Tor to photograph the KitKat stones yesterday (yes I practiced the social distancing guidelines ;))

A7R02188
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
Stop it :D

They would look much better than my current storing solution... biscuit tins :D

Back