The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

So have a Samyang 35mm 2.8 on route. How do you check if it’s decentered?

Put it on the floor and hit it with a claw hammer.

Just kidding

I find taking a shot at infinity, check left and right if one side soft, turn the camera upside down, has the soft side flipped?

50mm seems the popular choice...
  • 50mm f/1.2 (33%, 1,080 Votes)

• 85mm f/1.2 (27%, 885 Votes)

• 35mm f/1.2 (26%, 869 Votes)

• 40mm f/1.2 (11%, 370 Votes)

• 65mm f/1.2 (3%, 115 Votes)
I can't see it being a 40 or a 65? Surely? But who knows?

I'm not and never will be in he market for these lenses. I was just thinking the other day I'd love it if Voigtlander did a 50mm f1.4 about the size of their 35mm f1.4 classic. I mighty even sell some of my film era lenses if they did.
I like the ‘idea’ of a 50mm f1.2 but I’m sure the weight and price will put me off ;)
I have a *feeling* that fewer Canon users will convert to Sony.
I think some ‘early’ Sony adopters will return to Canon tbh, their rumoured cameras and lenses could well tempt them back.
So have a Samyang 35mm 2.8 on route. How do you check if it’s decentered?
Google FredMiranda decentering test. Basically shoot a wide scene at infinity focus making sure there’s a ‘subject’ in one of the corners. Keeping exposure and WB the same repeat the process another three times but each time putting the subject in a different corner. Compare the results, if the subject is distinctly softer/oof in one or two of the corners compared to the others it could suggest decentering.

I think it'll be a 50/1.2 in all honesty for popularity.

It could be a 40mm though......?? Maybe influenced by the interest for the Voigtlander 40/1.2 & also improving on the Batis40 with it's initial issues & only being f/2.

I can't see it being a 35mm with the Sigma (unless it's a lot smaller/lighter) or an 85mm not with the f/1.4GM

I suppose as reviewers are saying that the Sigma 35mm f1.2 is the best thing ever Sony could decide that they want to beat the Sigma but if they try and don't it'd be a big issue... So maybe a 50mm f1.2 makes the most sense.

I suppose we'll soon know.

A longer lens would be so handy to have during the lockdown, really regret not ponying up for the 200-600 when I was considering one a while back. Can't really consider shelling out that sort of money at the moment though (well I can but the missus would do her nut).

Anyway took this with the 135GM this morning and cropped the life out of it. Looks pretty awful on here but the full res version prints pretty well.

Bird Photography.jpg

I've been taking pictures of birds out the window but even with a 100-400mm on MFT most of the time they're not filling much of picture at all.

I've been taking pictures of birds out the window but even with a 100-400mm on MFT most of the time they're not filling much of picture at all.
One of the best things that I bought was a chair hide which means I can move around the garden more freely and get much closer to the feeder areas.
It's no substitute for getting out and about but I have no choice at the moment.

Sounds like you need to lure them in closer, are you leaving out any seed? if you have any kind of garden table pull it over closer to your window, stick a few logs on there, they can make nice perches, and throw some seed in between. 400mm on M43 should be more than plenty to get even smaller birds pretty large in frame. I actually prefer bird images with a little bit of scenery surrounding them, like environmental portraits only for birds :)

Sounds like you need to lure them in closer, are you leaving out any seed? if you have any kind of garden table pull it over closer to your window, stick a few logs on there, they can make nice perches, and throw some seed in between. 400mm on M43 should be more than plenty to get even smaller birds pretty large in frame. I actually prefer bird images with a little bit of scenery surrounding them, like environmental portraits only for birds :)

+1 800mm is loads, Ive been trying to creep up on them with an 85mm on FF :LOL:

or you just need to find bigger birds :p
with zeiss 35mm on my old A7 :D
14208102953_6f06f0263b_b.jpg

+1 800mm is loads, Ive been trying to creep up on them with an 85mm on FF :LOL:
You'd be surprised, with 800mm you still don't fill the frame with your average garden bird unless you have extremely tame birds and can get about 6ft away ;)

You'd be surprised, with 800mm you still don't fill the frame with your average garden bird unless you have extremely tame birds and can get about 6ft away ;)

Are you sure you aren't at the short end of your zoom at 6ft?

So got my Cuff and Samyang 2.8 today. Forgot how tiny it feels and compared the 50mm 1.8 it’s focus is like lightning lol

Apologies for attaching budget lens to expensive camera!

Sort of.

Hope you and yours are fine.

Doing indoor stuff here and as always busy :D

Would anyone take the Samyang 35 f1.4 over the Sony 35 f1.8 ?

I probably would because I like the way Sammy lenses render, but that seems unusual in this company. ;)

A qualification - if focus speed and highest resolution was most important then I'd take the Sony.

Id also take the 35 1.4, I compared it against the SZ and ART, it was better than the SZ optically and AF wasnt as good as SZ or ART but I wouldnt call it useless at all. SZ had the most CA and was the softest wide open.

Last edited:
Oh bother. Just had a call from my doctor about my gammy foot (I've been in pain and limping for over 8 months now.) She said the x-rays are back and I have a bony spur which needs removing. I don't know when anyone will have time to chisel that off my foot but I'll use the time to think about what lens I'll need to capture the op. Maybe I'll use my 85mm f1.8. The light should be pretty bright so I should be able to stop down to get some good detail. Actually I think the kit lens might be better as I'll get some wider shots too with that.

Last edited:
Oh bother. Just had a call from my doctor about my gammy foot (I've been in pain and limping for over 8 months now.) She said the x-rays are back and I have a bony spur which needs removing. I don't know when anyone will have time to chisel that off my foot but I'll use the time to think about what lens I'll need to capture the op. Maybe I'll use my 85mm f1.8. The light should be pretty bright so I should be able to stop down to get some good detail. Actually I think the kit lens might be better as I'll get some wider shots too with that.
Heel spur?

Back