The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Apparently. I'd have thought I'd be too old to grow anything new but... apparently not.

I wonder what else I might grow. A 20mm f1.8 or a 12-24mm?
Guessing you've got plantar fasciitis then? Latest research suggests no direct relationship between heel spurs and plantar fasciitis, have you been given exercises?

No, the Dr just said they'll chisel it off. I assumed it's because I'm on the go a lot and also do a lot of walking. Maybe. It is a painful sob when it plays up which is mostly.

I'll Google it.

PS. No swelling and nothing to see, just painful.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I PF and only that as the spur showed up on the x-ray and the fix seems to be to chop it off. The pain started more in the tendon above the heel but travels down to underneath. I exercise most days and include stretches so I'll look at the stretching side of things again.

Anyway, on the path to getting sorted :D

Medical advice on TP. Who knew :D

Guessing you've got plantar fasciitis then? Latest research suggests no direct relationship between heel spurs and plantar fasciitis, have you been given exercises?
I always used to x-ray the other foot and often found a large but completely asymptomatic "spur". There is a poor correlation between bony outgrowth and the symptoms associated with plantar fasciitis.
No, the Dr just said they'll chisel it off. I assumed it's because I'm on the go a lot and also do a lot of walking. Maybe. It is a painful sob when it plays up which is mostly.

I'll Google it.

PS. No swelling and nothing to see, just painful.
It would be interesting to see if they offer you surgery in the light of the current situation but there are other treatments that are less invasive that can be of benefit.

just skip to last 3 min.

best bang for buck was his conclusion.

No firm prices yet that I have seen. One site reckons 1149 euros which is £1013. But being UK we usually get screwed and it will be more.

I always used to x-ray the other foot and often found a large but completely asymptomatic "spur". There is a poor correlation between bony outgrowth and the symptoms associated with plantar fasciitis.

It would be interesting to see if they offer you surgery in the light of the current situation but there are other treatments that are less invasive that can be of benefit.
Dr didn't give any option but chopping it off. I know it won't be quick but assuming I'm still here after this emergency I might go private to get it done quicker as although this isn't exactly life threatening it is rather painful and has limited my activity. I wondered about the other foot but no symptoms there to date.

Dr didn't give any option but chopping it off. I know it won't be quick but assuming I'm still here after this emergency I might go private to get it done quicker as although this isn't exactly life threatening it is rather painful and has limited my activity. I wondered about the other foot but no symptoms there to date.
I would always try/recommend conservative care before opting for surgery.

Oh bother. Just had a call from my doctor about my gammy foot (I've been in pain and limping for over 8 months now.) She said the x-rays are back and I have a bony spur which needs removing.
On the plus side it could get you out of going to war (should we have one) like Orange Donald. ;) Although I doubt you paid for the diagnosis like Donald's daddy. ;) :LOL:

Seriously though hope you get it sorted soon as possible. :) A lot of non urgent procedures getting pushed back atm understanerbly. Doesn't ,eam people suffer any less.

all getting ready for the jump to canon... see addick and twist are both in there already..

might have done that myself but I don't see me going out shooting much at the moment or for another couple months. so we'll see what comes and goes.

might have done that myself but I don't see me going out shooting much at the moment or for another couple months. so we'll see what comes and goes.

I think there may be a lot of people that do, but there always just chasing the newest and most hyped gear.. when twist sold all his stuff I commented that it would be the case..but was assured it wasn't why...only took him a month.
This is always going to be a leap frog in terms of tech and brands with some people just chancing the hype and pinnacle in minimal performance gains until another brand tops it them its changing time again.Im not really sure whats to gain now, most have great eye af, high iso and fps.

the rumoured specs look good as does the 1dx3 in mirrorless mode. but hate to think what they will be trying to charge. how ever good the rf lenses the size and stupidly high prices puts me off.

I think there may be a lot of people that do, but there always just chasing the newest and most hyped gear.. when twist sold all his stuff I commented that it would be the case..but was assured it wasn't why...only took him a month.
This is always going to be a leap frog in terms of tech and brands with some people just chancing the hype and pinnacle in minimal performance gains until another brand tops it them its changing time again.Im not really sure whats to gain now, most have great eye af, high iso and fps.

the rumoured specs look good as does the 1dx3 in mirrorless mode. but hate to think what they will be trying to charge. how ever good the rf lenses the size and stupidly high prices puts me off.

the main attraction for me is actually being able to buy a cheap teleprime in EF mount and adapt it if the AF performance is nearly as good as native. The Sony 400mm and 600mm are simply out of my range.

I've mentioned it on here already but I think that the Canon system will become very impressive and we'll see a lot of Sony users swap/swap back. My issue with the Canon system is that none of the native lenses barring the 70-200mm f2.8 interest me, and one of the reasons I swapped to Sony was that I preferred using native. The rumoured R5 and R6 sound interesting though, and I think in a couple of years Canon might have more lenses that appeal to me. I'm very happy with the A7RIV though so have no desire to swap.
the main attraction for me is actually being able to buy a cheap teleprime in EF mount and adapt it if the AF performance is nearly as good as native. The Sony 400mm and 600mm are simply out of my range.
As above, I prefer using native lenses. The AF-S lenses worked great on my Z7 but the whole thing just felt a bit clumsy somehow.

I've mentioned it on here already but I think that the Canon system will become very impressive and we'll see a lot of Sony users swap/swap back. My issue with the Canon system is that none of the native lenses barring the 70-200mm f2.8 interest me, and one of the reasons I swapped to Sony was that I preferred using native. The rumoured R5 and R6 sound interesting though, and I think in a couple of years Canon might have more lenses that appeal to me. I'm very happy with the A7RIV though so have no desire to swap.
As above, I prefer using native lenses. The AF-S lenses worked great on my Z7 but the whole thing just felt a bit clumsy somehow.

Unlike Nikon, canon EF lenses supposedly adapt and work just like native lenses Eos R. So I can stick a adapter on one and pretend it's a native lens of that's the case. Canon has the best adapter support of the bunch and that's no secret.

If I had more than one EF lens I'd want one adapter per lens so that it feels native and I don't have to mess about changing lenses. This is possible on canon unlike Nikon because the adapter is cheaper and also less bulky.

Last edited:
Unlike Nikon, canon EF lenses supposedly adapt and work just like native lenses Eos R. So I can stick a adapter on one and pretend it's a native lens of that's the case. Canon has the best adapter support of the bunch and that's no secret.
As I said, the Nikon adapter worked just fine, just not a fan of using adapters (y)

As I said, the Nikon adapter worked just fine, just not a fan of using adapters (y)

Looks like you replied while I was editting....

If I had more than one EF lens I'd want one adapter per lens so that it feels native and I don't have to mess about changing adapter+lenses. This is possible on canon unlike Nikon because the adapter is cheaper and not bulky. It'll basically be like the sigma ART primes for Sony.

Looks like you replied while I was editting....

If I had more than one EF lens I'd want one adapter per lens so that it feels native and I don't have to mess about changing adapter+lenses. This is possible on canon unlike Nikon because the adapter is cheaper and not bulky. It'll basically be like the sigma ART primes for Sony.
Just had a look, does look a much better adapter in terms of size/bulk (y)

If I had more than one EF lens I'd want one adapter per lens so that it feels native and I don't have to mess about changing lenses. This is possible on canon unlike Nikon because the adapter is cheaper and also less bulky.

Why wouldn't you just remove glass from the adapter, leaving the adapter on the body? I've got 2 adapters but one for each lens seems overkill?

Just had a look, does look a much better adapter in terms of size/bulk (y)
not true. EF-R adapter is just a hollow tube. The nikon one like sony LA-EA3 has a thing at the bottom that can't be removed (LA-EA1 the tripod foot can be removed). Makes storing it with it on the lens harder. can't just pretend its part of the lens.

Why wouldn't you just remove glass from the adapter, leaving the adapter on the body? I've got 2 adapters but one for each lens seems overkill?
in case I want to use native lens. The only EF lenses I am interested in are telephotos. For others I'd probably buy stuff similar to what I have on e-mount i.e. a 24-105mm, 35mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.2. I wouldn't buy more than couple EF lenses and adapters (the basic one) is cheap enough to buy two of.

not true. EF-R adapter is just a hollow tube. The nikon one like sony LA-EA3 has a thing at the bottom that can't be removed (LA-EA1 the tripod foot can be removed). Makes storing it with it on the lens harder. can't just pretend its part of the lens.

Not sure why you wrote this, I was agreeing with you that the Canon adapter looks better.

Dont talk crap, you said I would be buying the R5, I said I wouldnt. Do you know the difference between RP and R5? Chasing the latest gear? Errr you might find the A9 is a better camera and costs a lot more money than an RP.

Heres your exact message.
4 months time when the R5 is out you will be one of the first users I bet...

My move to the RP was about SAVING money, not spending more on an R5 and RF lenses.

Last edited:
Finally got around to 'skimming' this video, didn't listen to much, just skipped to the examples. At 70mm f2.8 in the centre the GM looked noticeably sharper than the other two to me, not sure why he didn't see the same. At 200mm the Tamron looked at gnats sharper than the GM, with the f4 being worst. The Tamron looked better at the edges throughout when wide open. The GM appeared to have better colour in the videos, and had better contrast especially in backlit scenarios. I didn't listen to the conclusion, not sure if he said the same but as he didn't see any centre difference at 70mm I'm not sure I'd take note anyway ;)

Last edited:
Dont talk crap, you said I would be buying the R5, I said I wouldnt. Do you know the difference between RP and R5? Chasing the latest gear? Errr you might find the A9 is a better camera and costs a lot more money than an RP.

Heres your exact message.

My move to the RP was about SAVING money, not spending more on an R5 and RF lenses.

yeah right, its start with RP before you know it you'll be on R5.
remember how you got to A9 :p

Na mate, I waited for the A9 to drop in price massively before I jumped in, I always said I wanted one.

When the R5 drops to 2K new and the RF lenses (50 1.2) become affordable (unlikely) and I need that level of performance then I'll consider it... but tbh the A9 and lenses will always be a far cheaper option for similar stills performance so would be a no brainer. The RP is in a fairly unique position, in that its a very cheap FF milc with decent video and stills AF plus EF lens prices will keep dropping. The only other real competitor in the price range is the A7ii and I dont like it.

Last edited:
because it was too early in the morning for me to read, sincere apologies
Haha, I know that feeling well ;)
Na mate, I waited for the A9 to drop in price massively before I jumped in, I always said I wanted one.

When the R5 drops to 2K new and the RF lenses (50 1.2) become affordable (unlikely) and I need that level of performance then I'll consider it... but tbh the A9 and lenses will always be a far cheaper option for similar stills performance so would be a no brainer. The RP is in a fairly unique position, in that its a very cheap FF milc with decent video and stills AF plus EF lens prices will keep dropping. The only other real competitor in the price range is the A7ii and I dont like it.
I'm waiting for the A9-II to drop to £2k, might have saved for it by then to accompany my R4, that's if I can get back to work before the business goes under :eek:

tbh you can get an A7RII for the RP price unless RP has dropped massively since I last looked

You definitely cant. A7rii AF isnt as good in stills and video and there are certain other things about the RF I prefer (I wont reel off a list in this thread unless someone is interested).

Haha, I know that feeling well ;)
I'm waiting for the A9-II to drop to £2k, might have saved for it by then to accompany my R4, that's if I can get back to work before the business goes under :eek:

Part of the reason I sold my A9 and lenses and moved to a cheaper option, rather have some extra cash in the bank during these times but still wanted a decent camera.

Back