The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

No way that price is justified. Many many reasons you'd pick a GM over the Tamron. Tamron are starting to get greedy if that price is correct.

However, I suspect that won't be the price.

And there are many reasons to pick tamron over GM

If that does turn out to be the launch price then I'm a bit disappointed tbh, will definitely be holding off for a while.

I'm sure I read €1099 somewhere, can't see it being a huge success if the price posted above turns out to be true.

Got a new Samyang 18mm 2.8 delivered this morning, tested it, I have never seen a lens as decentered ever! Half of the left side is just a blur!

yep I have had two crap copies on this lens. I gave up on it.
I bought the sigma 14-24mm f2.8 on offer, its SHARP corner to corner at every focal length and aperture. well worth the money. Samyang has been a big waste of time.

I bought the sigma 14-24mm f2.8 on offer, its SHARP corner to corner at every focal length and aperture. well worth the money. Samyang has been a big waste of time.

I'd already had one, had a scratch inside the lens on one of the elements towards the back so returned it. The shop then sent me the SAME lens back :LOL:

Then sent me this new one today. It's another no go (n)

That looks nice and at a fairly reasonable price when compared to other quality wide angle zooms.

I may have to put that on my I want one list :D

The Sony A7III sound quality debacle, DPR v Gerland...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/ger...really-that-bad-sony-vs-panasonic-audio-test/

I know nothing about this sort of thing but surely if this was a genuine A7III problem it would have come up before now? I don't know what the issue is but hopefully someone will get to the bottom of it.

External recorder, sorted. When videoing weddings I use Sony ICD-TX650’s, they’re great. Only thing the camera audio is used for it to match.

Even those cheap rode video mics do a job.

Got a new Samyang 18mm 2.8 delivered this morning, tested it, I have never seen a lens as decentered ever! Half of the left side is just a blur!
That’s a shame as it’s a good lens if you get a decent one :(

88mph Marty !

hkeqH08.jpg

And there are many reasons to pick tamron over GM

Also many reasons to pick the GM over the Tamron.

IMO it needs to be cheaper. Hopefully that price is wrong as it was rumoured to be 1099 euros.

I'd already had one, had a scratch inside the lens on one of the elements towards the back so returned it. The shop then sent me the SAME lens back :LOL:

Then sent me this new one today. It's another no go (n)

IMO stop wasting your time and buy from a better manufacturer.

Weren’t you considering that Samyang 85mm 1.4 in the classifieds? ;)

Problem is, they have some decent lenses but crap QC. I really do wonder what their returns rate is. I remember when I got the Samyang 35mm 1.4, one arrived with a hair inside!

Yes and if there was any serious issue I think Jon may have returned it. I have also owned a few of them too. But I only buy them when I get an especially good deal. I don't actively seek them for this reason.

If you get good copies then yes optically they are rather good. They hit way above their price point.

Last edited:
Yes and if there was any serious issue I think Jon may have returned it. I have also owned a few of them too. But I only buy them when I get an especially good deal. I don't actively seek them for this reason.

If you get good copies then yes optically they are rather good. They hit way above their price point.

Fair enough. I’ll probably try one more of these 18mm ones before giving up.

£230, UK supplied, so very cheap.
Nice.
Cex has a couple for £220. The one in Wandsworth isn't bad, I have tried it out. It is ever so slightly decentered on the left and seems to disappear by f4. But I only tested in the shop so my testing isn't the best.
But you never know which copy you'll get with cex.

The prices are nice and friendly and they're nice and compact too which all makes them very attractive. The QC issues make me wonder what life with a good one is like. I wonder what their longer term longevity is like when you do get a good one? It's maybe too soon to tell.

Nice.
Cex has a couple for £220. The one in Wandsworth isn't bad, I have tried it out. It is ever so slightly decentered on the left and seems to disappear by f4. But I only tested in the shop so my testing isn't the best.
But you never know which copy you'll get with cex.

I suppose one solution is to get one, then just send it to Samyang and get them to sort it out. If they look at it on an individual basis I'd imagine they could fix the decentering. Though you do wonder if they're so prone to it because they are so light, flexible and because of that any knock or bump can shift stuff out of line.

The prices are nice and friendly and they're nice and compact too which all makes them very attractive. The QC issues make me wonder what life with a good one is like. I wonder what their longer term longevity is like when you do get a good one? It's maybe too soon to tell.

Probably.

I'll probably end up buying the 17-28 2.8 again when I can get one for under £700 UK stock again.

I suppose one solution is to get one, then just send it to Samyang and get them to sort it out. If they look at it on an individual basis I'd imagine they could fix the decentering. Though you do wonder if they're so prone to it because they are so light, flexible and because of that any knock or bump can shift stuff out of line.

Probably.

I'll probably end up buying the 17-28 2.8 again when I can get one for under £700 UK stock again.

I don't think lightness is a problem tbh. I have had many other light lenses with no issues
Any interest in the sigma 14-24mm? there are some good offers.

I don't think lightness is a problem tbh. I have had many other light lenses with no issues
Any interest in the sigma 14-24mm? there are some good offers.

Yes.

It looks like after being on the fence for years and hedging my bets with old adapted lenses I'm now almost ready to commit to my A7 :D and have slowly been building up my native lenses. I think all that's missing now is a wide zoom. Actually back when I had DSLR's I also had a 70-300mm too.

Not allowing filters is a no go for me I'm afraid!

It's bit of a problem for sure. Going forward I'm thinking of going for mount clip in filters. With benefits of no reflections, and size changes obviously there are limitations to that to like you can't stack filters or use CPL. But 90% of the time I use a single filter so I'll see how I get along.

Yes.

It looks like after being on the fence for years and hedging my bets with old adapted lenses I'm now almost ready to commit to my A7 :D and have slowly been building up my native lenses. I think all that's missing now is a wide zoom. Actually back when I had DSLR's I also had a 70-300mm too.
It's running in good offers at the moment. You should get it while you can :)

It's running in good offers at the moment. You should get it while you can :)

You may be right but maybe I should enjoy the 20mm f1.8 for a while and I also need to use the Voigtlander 50mm f2 a lot more. Having three new lenses to get to grips with at the same time might be a bit much for me. It takes me a bit of time and a lot of shots to get to know a lens.

A robin from our garden this morning.

A7R02400-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr
IQ on here looks worse than usual for this shot on my iPad but looks fine on Flickr, what’s it like for everyone else? I know IQ on TP isn’t great at the best of times, but this looks shocking. Even the watermark looks fuzzy/blurry :eek:

Back