The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Proof that I am going mad if I'm taking pics of flowers during a walk!

49854490292_3c0e431cce_b.jpg

happens to the best of us,

I just wondered. I'm don't like city life. 200 yards walk and I can almost forget I'm at the edge of town but the hills are a little further away. Maybe 20-30 minutes walk. The beach is 29 minutes drive.

I just wondered. I'm don't like city life. 200 yards walk and I can almost forget I'm at the edge of town but the hills are a little further away. Maybe 20-30 minutes walk. The beach is 29 minutes drive.

I like a balace of both. Would I like to live in London? Not unless it is some really nice flat these days. I grew up in Hong Kong for the first 10 years in one of those council flats buildings. So I have city living in my blood and I don’t mind it. Perhaps it’s why I like Tokyo. I can block out people when I am in a city and mind my own business. I am not sure I want to live in the middle of nowhere as I like my amenities, I like to go to the cinema (when it opens!), I like easy access to the post office or quick trip to the supermarket.

I have been to some really nice places around the country through shooting weddings, some clients (or their parents) do live in the middle of nowhere, it’s quite impressive.

For example these are on the client’s grounds. I guess I like somewhere in between, like most people really. My own space but also I don’t need a septic tank for the toilet.

5vAsudE.jpg

p0x7xOB.jpg

I am sure I will get used to it though, but I wouldn’t want to drive 45mins to the cinema or to get some milk.

Last edited:
42 image stitch, just because..

49854190021_94375fe2c3_b.jpg
Nice, I will give the Brenizer technique a go at some point. Want to do some of the Harley. Was this the 85mm f1.4?
Proof that I am going mad if I'm taking pics of flowers during a walk!

49854490292_3c0e431cce_b.jpg
Nowt wrong with taking pics of flowers ;) Joking aside I’ve been ok with the lockdown until the last three days, starting to find it pretty stressful now, going a bit stir crazy :(
I'd rather spend that on rent and food in times like these
So grown up ;)

Nice, I will give the Brenizer technique a go at some point. Want to do some of the Harley. Was this the 85mm f1.4?
Nowt wrong with taking pics of flowers ;) Joking aside I’ve been ok with the lockdown until the last three days, starting to find it pretty stressful now, going a bit stir crazy :(
So grown up ;)

Yup, 85. Hasn't been out for a while, so thought I'd take it for a walk.

My XT-2 kit went off to MPB just before the lockdown started. This has given me much too much time to spend thinking about replacements, looking at YouTube and so on.

Looked at some Tony Northrup stuff (yes I know, but I really have too much free time) and he claims that the Sony sensors in both A7R... and Z7 are really prone to gathering dust. He has to clean the sensor every time he goes out.

This wasn’t my experience with Fuji mirrorless or her indoors’ Olympi. Have you noticed dust at all? And is there really a lot of it?

My XT-2 kit went off to MPB just before the lockdown started. This has given me much too much time to spend thinking about replacements, looking at YouTube and so on.

Looked at some Tony Northrup stuff (yes I know, but I really have too much free time) and he claims that the Sony sensors in both A7R... and Z7 are really prone to gathering dust. He has to clean the sensor every time he goes out.

This wasn’t my experience with Fuji mirrorless or her indoors’ Olympi. Have you noticed dust at all? And is there really a lot of it?

A full frame sensor is twice the size of APS-C and 4 time size of m43. So mathematically speaking there is twice and 4x the area for the dust to stick on respectively :D

But in reality I imagine they are just as dust prone as any other mirrorless camera. EOS R/P gets by this by closing the shutter when the camera is off. Recently Sony added this feature via. a fw update to A9II. They may or may not update other A7 bodies (the certainly won't update 2nd gen ones).

IMO its a non-issue blown out of proportion by the internet just like silly bigger dick mount is better debate ;)
But if it really bothers you there is the option of going the canon route or splashing out on A9II :D

p.s. there are also arguments as to why keeping the shutter closed to prevent dust could be bad for the camera.

Last edited:
A full frame sensor is twice the size of APS-C and 4 time size of m43. So mathematically speaking there is twice and 4x the area for the dust to stick on respectively :D

But in reality I imagine they are just as dust prone as any other mirrorless camera. EOS R/P gets by this by closing the shutter when the camera is off. Recently Sony added this feature via. a fw update to A9II. They may or may not update other A7 bodies (the certainly won't update 2nd gen ones).

IMO its a non-issue blown out of proportion by the internet just like silly bigger dick mount is better debate ;)
But if it really bothers you there is the option of going the canon route or splashing out on A9II :D

A9II is a bit out of my league. And anyway I mostly take snaps of stuff that stands still.

Do bigger sensors gather more crap than smaller ones, generally? Dunno.

Just thought I'd ask about actual real world experience before I plonked down my plastic.

I haven't wet cleaned mine for over a year. And I shoot prime lenses too.

A9II is a bit out of my league. And anyway I mostly take snaps of stuff that stands still.

Just thought I'd ask about actual real world experience before I plonked down my plastic.

well I have previously owned Sony APS-C bodies and they were as bad or as good as the FF ones for gathering dust. I didn't notice any difference.

I use my equipment a lot and have 6 Sony bodies. 4 of those I have had for about 18 months or so maybe a bit longer and I haven’t needed to give any of them a wet clean yet.
I have picked up the odd dust bunny but a rocket blower has always managed to shift it. I check them before every session.

I use my equipment a lot and have 6 Sony bodies. 4 of those I have had for about 18 months or so maybe a bit longer and I haven’t needed to give any of them a wet clean yet.
I have picked up the odd dust bunny but a rocket blower has always managed to shift it. I check them before every session.

you have enough bodies there to not need many lens changes :p

I’ve had the Z7 which never needed a clean, and now the A7RIV which I’ve rocket blown one for a solitary piece of dust, my experience so far has been that they’ve needed less cleaning than the DSLRs I’ve had, for whatever reason.
I haven't wet cleaned mine for over a year. And I shoot prime lenses too.
As a prime shooter do you mainly shoot at wide apertures?

I’ve had the Z7 which never needed a clean, and now the A7RIV which I’ve rocket blown one for a solitary piece of dust, my experience so far has been that they’ve needed less cleaning than the DSLRs I’ve had, for whatever reason.

As a prime shooter do you mainly shoot at wide apertures?

Ummmm.... Hard to say exactly but 50/50 might be a good guess. I do shoot landscapes so that can be f/7.1 and smaller at times. My 21mm is f/3.5 at its widest anyway.

I only have the A7 but if it helps at all dust isn't a big issue. Wet cleans are few and far between and I change lenses a lot.

Somewhat counter-intuitively, the lockdown has lead to me taking more photos. Mostly from the point of view that when we look back through our photos in later life, there'll be a 3-4 month gap of doing nothing - so made sure I take my R2 out with me most days. We're very lucky to live right by a common, so taking the kids out most days has been great.

i-LW5bpGW-L.jpg

i-N5h9tx6-L.jpg

i-D7sswPn-L.jpg

i-hN24tRQ-L.jpg

i-qrTXZt8-L.jpg

i-jPMpvkr-L.jpg

Hello everyone,

I have come across a second hand A7r ii with a £850 price tag. The camera is in great condition however the shutter count is 120,000. Is this too high?

Back