The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Does the shutter count affect the functionality of the camera?

a7r2 shutter is expected to last for half a million actuations, if that helps.

its surprising the body is still in excellent condition as they do tend to wear quite easily.

a7r2 shutter is expected to last for half a million actuations, if that helps.

its surprising the body is still in excellent condition as they do tend to wear quite easily.

Yes well from what I can see in the photos it looks to be in great condition, however I have asked some extra questins to be specific.

Thanks for your advice:)

Recommended 3rd party ttl flash and trigger for the A9 guys? Not something I tend to use more than a couple of times a year so won't be forking out for official versions. Thanks.

Recommended 3rd party ttl flash and trigger for the A9 guys? Not something I tend to use more than a couple of times a year so won't be forking out for official versions. Thanks.

godox system works well and is used by many. godox x1ts trigger does the job.

Yes, it can, just because its rated for 500k doesnt mean it will get there. 120k for £850 is to much imo. You can get one with a much lower count from a dealer with warranty for not much more.

Depends really if fixed price repair is still available at the moment a new shutter mechanism would only be £120. They seem to change if fixed price repair is available or not on a regular basis though.

If the camera is still in good condition it likely hasn’t seen a lot of abuse and you could run up 120k in a studio for example pretty quickly. There is also no guarantee that if you buy a camera with only a couple of thousand clicks that the shutter doesn’t fail anyway.

Last edited:
godox system works well and is used by many. godox x1ts trigger does the job.

Thanks. Was the answer I was hoping for. Saw this as a possibility earlier today, and it's in the right price range.

Depends really if fixed price repair is still available at the moment a new shutter mechanism would only be £120. They seem to change if fixed price repair is available or not on a regular basis though.

If the camera is still in good condition it likely hasn’t seen a lot of abuse and you could run up 120k in a studio for example pretty quickly. There is also no guarantee that if you buy a camera with only a couple of thousand clicks that the shutter doesn’t fail anyway.

Agree with this re my Nikon experience. I had a D4 that I picked up cheap with 300k clicks. I added another 200k + to it and it never missed a beat. Bought it for a song, sold it for a song and the current owner (a friend) is still happy with it nearly 2 years later.

Yes, it can, just because its rated for 500k doesnt mean it will get there. 120k for £850 is to much imo. You can get one with a much lower count from a dealer with warranty for not much more.
Are there any dealers you can recommend me from the top of your head?

Somewhat counter-intuitively, the lockdown has lead to me taking more photos. Mostly from the point of view that when we look back through our photos in later life, there'll be a 3-4 month gap of doing nothing - so made sure I take my R2 out with me most days. We're very lucky to live right by a common, so taking the kids out most days has been great.

i-LW5bpGW-L.jpg

i-N5h9tx6-L.jpg

i-D7sswPn-L.jpg

i-hN24tRQ-L.jpg

i-qrTXZt8-L.jpg

i-jPMpvkr-L.jpg
Loveley pics. What lens was the lat one shot with?
Are there any dealers you can recommend me from the top of your head?
In the UK:-

MPB
Wex
Harrison Cameras
Camera Jungle
London Camera Exchange
Park Cameras
Castle Cameras

to name a few that I've used and been happy with.

Ah consistency.

No, but buying one with a lower count from a dealer with warranty is a safer bet.

The last two are taken with a Helio 44-2, the others either Sony 85 f/1,8 or 35 f/2.8
Ahh the good old Helios. Bokeh can be marmite but the image has certainly rendered well here imo.

Hanging on to this body for a while yet mate.

Best camera I've ever used.

God knows what the R3 & 4 are like

Smart decision. I'm taking delivery of my A9 today (out for delivery) as I move across to Sony. And just receiced the 70-200mm GMM f/2.8. Can't wait to get out at the weekend for the first decent walk/shoot. Looking for a R2 or R3 to compliment it. Been reading about their differences today and (for my needs) the R3 doesn't seem worth the extra cost.

Smart decision. I'm taking delivery of my A9 today (out for delivery) as I move across to Sony. And just receiced the 70-200mm GMM f/2.8. Can't wait to get out at the weekend for the first decent walk/shoot. Looking for a R2 or R3 to compliment it. Been reading about their differences today and (for my needs) the R3 doesn't seem worth the extra cost.

I thought the same and so did my wallet :)

Hanging on to this body for a while yet mate.

Best camera I've ever used.

God knows what the R3 & 4 are like
Superb (y)
Nice (y)

Since getting the Sony 20mm f1.8 I've been looking at my MFT kit and wondering if I need it all.

I was keeping MFT for a few reasons...

- For wider shots, I have the Olympus 9-18mm but I now have an AF Sony alternative in the 20mm f1.8.
- For longer shots, I have 45-150 and 100-400mm lenses and no long Sony lens.
- For smaller kit and/or silent shooting.

I have two MFT cameras, GX80 and GX9 and my thinking is that I could sell the GX80 and keep the GX9 with just a few lenses for when I don't want to take the A7. I could maybe keep the GX9 with the 17mm f1.8, 14-42 and 45-150mm kit lenses. I also have a TZ100 with a 25-250mm zoom for days out when even MFT is too much. The GX80, 25 and 45mm f1.8's, 9-18mm, 100-400mm and 12-35mm f2.8 could all go and that could raise £1k or so (maybe, if the stuff sells) towards a long Sony lens. I don't really neeeeed the money but selling stuff to fund other stuff eases my conscience :D

So, if I go for a Sony long lens what would my best option be? 800mm isn't really necessary but more than 400mm would be nice :D

Last edited:
So, if I go for a Sony long lens what would my best option be? 800mm isn't really necessary but more than 400mm would be nice :D

There is only 2 choices, the Sony 200-600mm and the Sony 600mm f/4...

...or the left field lighter option, the 100-400mm & T/C

I think I'd much rather have the zoom.

I'd love a 600mm f/4. I got severe gear envy in Hong Kong where pretty much everybody has 400mm f/2.8 & 600mm f/4 primes

£10k+ ? I doubt I'll be getting either :D

If I win the lotto maybe :D

This is really just for the odd moon picture, dabbling with birds and squirrels and the odd alternative perspective landscape or people picture. It'll hardly get used. My most used lenses are probably always going to be 35/50mm primes.

Last edited:
I'd love a 600mm f/4. I got severe gear envy in Hong Kong where pretty much everybody has 400mm f/2.8 & 600mm f/4 primes
I like the images, just not the weight or price ;)

Last edited:
Mine is mid May so we'll probably still be isolating. I'll be happy with a take away :D

The council is opening the local parks, I think on Friday, but they're for exercise only and staff will be patrolling. I bet that'll be a thankless task and I expect they'll be abused. Sadly.

Mine is mid May so we'll probably still be isolating. I'll be happy with a take away :D

The council is opening the local parks, I think on Friday, but they're for exercise only and staff will be patrolling. I bet that'll be a thankless task and I expect they'll be abused. Sadly.
Mine's the 21st, think I'll be having an Indian Takeaway :clap:

Back