The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

its no secret dpreview folks subjectively think fujis are beautiful and that translates to better ergonomics somehow.
I personally (also subjectively) feel A6100 is better to hold than X-T30. while X-T3 is not so good it become really good (better than A7 bodies) with an add-on 3rd party grip.

I'd assumed it was them just trying to say something positive about a product from every manufacturer, Sony, Fuji, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, even Pentax, all in there. I don't know what Olympus has done not to be included, cut their advertising maybe.

yes referring to wide open performance only here (sorry should have made that clear).
I don't buy an 85mm f1.4 lens to shoot at f2, I'd buy the 85mm f1.8 lens for that ;)
I agree but people argue it’s not a sharp lens full stop.
And on the Fuji argument, I much prefer my XT30 over the A6 series that I’ve used and owned :)

Last edited:
I took some portraits for a family earlier. :oops: :$

First paying job with people involved since the 5th of March :oops: :$

Almost feels like a little step towards normality.

Even though it doesn't directly affect me I know it's great news for everyone if things start moving albeit slowly
:banana:

Last edited:
Even though it doesn't directly affect me I know it's great news for everyone if things start moving albeit slowly
:banana:

They have allowed us here to meet in groups of up to 6 in outdoor spaces but with social distancing.

Means I can at least do engagement sessions and small family portraits again. :sneaky:

Felt good to do a bit of normal work.

They have allowed us here to meet in groups of up to 6 in outdoor spaces but with social distancing.

Means I can at least do engagement sessions and small family portraits again. :sneaky:

Great stuff.

I agree but people argue it’s not a sharp lens full stop.
And on the Fuji argument, I much prefer my XT30 over the A6 series that I’ve used and owned :)

I always thought it was a sharp lens tbh, even wide open. Just that I wasn't expecting samyang to be sharper.

XT30 and XT3 just don't have have enough on the grip for me to hold on. I have borrowed XT3 a number of times and it had a 3rd party hand grip which really made a huge lot of difference and I enjoyed it greatly. Perhaps a similar one available for XT30 too.

That’s great you can restart some work.

If it’s anything like England many will do as they like. I don’t see many doing the 1 to 1 meets they are supposed to do. I see far too many visiting friends and family as a group of 4-6 people. There are lots of visiting cars parked outside our neighbours on a daily basis.

The lens is known for being a bit soft wide open, seems like you got lucky :)

I don’t think I have ever used it, not wide open and it’s ridiculously sharp. Never heard of anyone saying it wasn’t, have tried quite a few copies and they have all been sharp wide open.

I don’t think I have ever used it, not wide open and it’s ridiculously sharp. Never heard of anyone saying it wasn’t, have tried quite a few copies and they have all been sharp wide open.
I’ve seen a few reviews saying it’s a little soft wide open but it is ok as you don’t want razor sharp for portraits. Mine isn’t as sharp as the 90mm macro when at 1.4 but by 1.8 it’s sharper.

I’ve seen a few reviews saying it’s a little soft wide open but it is ok as you don’t want razor sharp for portraits. Mine isn’t as sharp as the 90mm macro when at 1.4 but by 1.8 it’s sharper.

At f1.8 it was sharper than the FE85mm/1.8. At f/1.4 my 85GM was sharper than my old minolta 85mm f1.4 and Sony zeiss 85mm f1.4.
But the samyang 85mm f1.4 is sharper than all of them at f1.4 which to me was a surprise.

I hear Sigma ART 85 is sharpest of the bunch but I have never bothered trying it out or using it due to its size.

At f1.8 it was sharper than the FE85mm/1.8. At f/1.4 my 85GM was sharper than my old minolta 85mm f1.4 and Sony zeiss 85mm f1.4.
But the samyang 85mm f1.4 is sharper than all of them at f1.4 which to me was a surprise.

I hear Sigma ART 85 is sharpest of the bunch but I have never bothered trying it out or using it due to its size.

Never worry once you have breathed in the direction of the Samyang it will become decentered anyway.

The sigma is insane, best performance I've seen and not just sharpness..... Its a big b*****d but balances well.

I've just spent an hour on ebay, looking at old A mount minoltas that are suddenly quite affordable, thinking a nice 100mm macro could be quite useful. It's madness really. :p

I've just spent an hour on ebay, looking at old A mount minoltas that are suddenly quite affordable, thinking a nice 100mm macro could be quite useful. It's madness really. :p

I know someone who sold lenses like sony zeiss 85mm/1.4, 135mm/1.8 etc recently when they moved to e-mount at eye wateringly low prices. Was so tempted to change back to a-mount lol.

I know someone who sold lenses like sony zeiss 85mm/1.4, 135mm/1.8 etc recently when they moved to e-mount at eye wateringly low prices. Was so tempted to change back to a-mount lol.

I still have a Sony a77Mk2 and a Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro lens just for macro images - the E mount 90mm is a tad expensive, when the old sigma still cuts the mustard :)

Les

I just read a bit on a rumor site about the ZV1 which "finally has that fully articulating screen on the side every A7 camera should have."

I've only had one camera with a fully articulated screen, the Panasonic G1, and the main thing I did with it was turn it around to the body. These days I do use my cameras tilting back screens sometimes but not a lot.

Does anyone use their screens a lot and what do you prefer, tilting or fully articulating? I have no real preference, either is better than a fixed screen for me but choosing between them isn't a deal breaker for me. I suppose I would do the odd selfie/couple shot with a fully articulated screen but these days I/we'd use Mrs WW's phone for that.

I find the screen most useful for low shots. With my fixed screen D4 I had to lie on the ground for small animal / child shots - now I'm on my haunches or knees. I still don't look elegant, but it's an improvement - especially when the grass is wet.

Apart from the buttercups, daises and dandelions on the lawns we've got nothing. We're waiting for flowers to open.

Trusty old A7 and trusty old film era Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro.

7Z1Qnmp.jpg

ViCym5q.jpg

Just a couple with iphone- it’s only about 8 weeks old. It looked like just mud with a few weeds when delivered but, has around 30 varieties and should flower through to September. View attachment 279970
That looks great.
we‘ve got an area of a similar size that we want to use as a wildflower area.
will likely need to wait until next year now.

Back