The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

It's just another camera, they all do much the same. I'd went from Full frame to Fuji years ago and that was fine, I fancied full frame again so here I am. Might try M43 next :snaphappy:

I did similar, but skipped the back to FF ... so far! Went from Nikon APSC to FX to Fuji APSC to M43 and now split between the last 2 as just went back to Fuji. I agree, end of the day they're just all cameras, so long as you enjoy using the one/s you've got at the time

The Fuji 35 1.4 did get a FW update though and it's supposedly a lot better since? I've heard it's much better on the XH1, faster and even quieter than it used to be. I hope so as it's what I have in mind for that cam. I think the noisiest lens I ever had was a Minolta 50mm 1.7 when I had the A200, the older Nikon 50 1.8 was pretty bad too.

Doesn't matter if it makes some noise and is a little slow, it's dirt cheap and imo one of the best lenses made by Fuji... Probably my fav.

Doesn't matter if it makes some noise and is a little slow, it's dirt cheap and imo one of the best lenses made by Fuji... Probably my fav.

yeah same, it's an auto-pick over any of the F2 lenses for me

Me being me been reading up on the Nikon Z6 and Z7 quite tempted to go back to Nikon.

But been trying talk sense into me and not do it and get a new me s for me a7iii
As I’ve said it’d be silly to swap in terms of what it can do, the final image etc etc, plus it will be costly to change. But if you have GAS and fancy trying it out then life’s too short to wonder what if. You just need to realise that that’s what it is (GAS) and that swapping cameras won’t make you a better photographer or give you better images (other than colour preferences, which can be tweaked anyway)

As I’ve said it’d be silly to swap in terms of what it can do, the final image etc etc, plus it will be costly to change. But if you have GAS and fancy trying it out then life’s too short to wonder what if. You just need to realise that that’s what it is (GAS) and that swapping cameras won’t make you a better photographer or give you better images (other than colour preferences, which can be tweaked anyway)

He'd be mental to switch... But then it is rookies.

He'd be mental to switch... But then it is rookies.
Yep, but I think we all know Andy by now and he tortures himself with new gear and won’t settle until he’s tried it for himself (y).

I think the Nikon Z series will be a good system, it’s just years behind Sony at present, in terms of native lenses at least. The bodies are a good first attempt and the new firmware looks promising for AF improvements (which is already better than expected imo, except tracking mode), but they need to improve frame rate with real-time view, and add a second bloomin card slot ;)

Prices of the Z lenses are just as crazy as Sony though. I know the mirrorless lenses are generally all of a high standard but still, they’re a lot of cash :(

Last edited:
A couple from last weeks wedding..

46914080355_6576e1a6ef_b.jpg

46914080435_4d175a1373_b.jpg

32886479617_4c80b97362_b.jpg

Lovely pictures Ant :D and interesting flare in that last one.

The only time I've seen flare anything like that was with my M mount Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 or is the lens pretty normal for flare and was it the long exposure that brought it out?

Lovely pictures Ant :D and interesting flare in that last one.

The only time I've seen flare anything like that was with my M mount Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 or is the lens pretty normal for flare and was it the long exposure that brought it out?

It will get some decent flare with strong light from the side (well decent depends on if you like flare or not, I'm partial every now and then ;-) )

Me being me been reading up on the Nikon Z6 and Z7 quite tempted to go back to Nikon.

But been trying talk sense into me and not do it and get a new me s for me a7iii

I really don't see why you'd want to change from Sony to Nikon as from a quality of the kit standpoint it would seem to be a backward step. Maybe even only a slightly backward step but maybe at best not improving on what you have. I can really only understand switching to Nikon if you're a very hard core Nikon fan and simply must have one or if there's some handling or menu foible that's driving this... or maybe just GAS, pure and simple?

One thing I sometimes do when I think I'm limited by kit in some way is look at what other people are doing with the same kit and I usually change my mind and decide the problem and limitation isn't the kit, it's me :D

Just on this forum looking at the Nikon and Sony threads I think the best pictures by far are in this thread. I suppose that doesn't tell you too much about the kit, all it really tells you is that some people who are good at all this use Sony kit :D but at least it shows you what's possible with the Sony kit.

To be honest I'm struggling to see any compelling reason for anyone to switch from Sony to Nikon or Canon mirrorless at the moment. It's up to you, but I do hope you give this careful thought before going through the whole process of switching gear again as you might find yourself wondering why you bothered.

Just my 2p Andrew :D I hope you give it careful thought.

Last edited:
It will get some decent flare with strong light from the side (well decent depends on if you like flare or not, I'm partial every now and then ;-) )

I sometimes deliberately take pictures with flare in them too but I don't remember seeing anything like that from any of my lenses other than that Voigtlander. I have a picture somewhere with circular flare from that lens. Actually I have the Sony mount Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 but I always have the hood on so next time I'm out with it on a flare friendly day I'll take the hood off and see it it's anything like the M mount one :D

I sometimes deliberately take pictures with flare in them too but I don't remember seeing anything like that from any of my lenses other than that Voigtlander. I have a picture somewhere with circular flare from that lens. Actually I have the Sony mount Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 but I always have the hood on so next time I'm out with it on a flare friendly day I'll take the hood off and see it it's anything like the M mount one :D

I'd love to try a Voigtlander some time.

I'm hugely impressed with the Samyang 14mm though, for a £230 lens it's very decent and of course focusing is nice and easy at 14mm on FF.

Last edited:
I had a 35mm f2.5 color skopar on my Bessa and always regretted selling it. I think that the film era Voigtlanders look just lovely and I was disappointed when they went for a more bland styling with the Sony mount ones but I've since come to like those too. I have the Sony 35mm f1.4 and 40mm f1.2. I really lusted after the M mount 35mm f1.4 but sadly I just couldn't get on with the focus tab focusing. They've recently brought out a new 35mm f2 with the classic styling and I'm pretty sure it has a focus ring... so that's tempting :D as is buying another 35mm f2.5 color skopar but I do have to keep telling myself that I don't need any more lenses.

I had a 35mm f2.5 color skopar on my Bessa and always regretted selling it. I think that the film era Voigtlanders look just lovely and I was disappointed when they went for a more bland styling with the Sony mount ones but I've since come to like those too. I have the Sony 35mm f1.4 and 40mm f1.2. I really lusted after the M mount 35mm f1.4 but sadly I just couldn't get on with the focus tab focusing. They've recently brought out a new 35mm f2 with the classic styling and I'm pretty sure it has a focus ring... so that's tempting :D as is buying another 35mm f2.5 color skopar but I do have to keep telling myself that I don't need any more lenses.

On a slightly related note, I love my Zeiss Flektogon 35mm f/2.4 , not sure how that compares with the Voigtlander 35mm

On a slightly related note, I love my Zeiss Flektogon 35mm f/2.4 , not sure how that compares with the Voigtlander 35mm

It's probably better than any of the small Voigtlander 35mm's :D

I think the small classic Voiglanders are best described as characterful but I have read that the 35mm f1.7 is very good. I think that the more modern Sony mount 35mm f1.4 is a good lens but the extreme corners are never sharp and some hate the bokeh at the widest apertures but stopped down just a bit I think it's pretty much in line with some other more highly regarded 35mm lenses. The Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 IMO gives a much more modern look and probably wont divide opinion as much as the 35mm f1.4 :D They all seem to be very well made though and handle well with for me the exception of the focus tab lenses.

35mm at f1.6.

I1S2c5d.jpg

Last edited:
This site has a list of what they claim are the top 10 selling mirrorless / compact cameras in Japan, April/May.

http://thenewcamera.com/best-top-selling-mirrorless-camera-april-may-2019/

Sony have the top three places and the A9 comes in at No.9 beating the Canon RP.

They also have the top 10 in the USA with Sony taking 8 or the top 10 places but not No.1.

If you look at the USA stats, they've split the various A6000 options so that it takes 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 9th!
The EOS M50 is also split, to take 1st and 10th.
The other places are taken by the A7iii, A7ii and A6400

Now the USA rankings are taken from Amazon, and I suspect a lot of 'more serious' camera buyers will shop elsewhere, but the R, RP, Z6 and Z7 are all available on Amazon, so does show the strength of the Sony range in sales.

If you look at the USA stats, they've split the various A6000 options so that it takes 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 9th!
The EOS M50 is also split, to take 1st and 10th.
The other places are taken by the A7iii, A7ii and A6400

Now the USA rankings are taken from Amazon, and I suspect a lot of 'more serious' camera buyers will shop elsewhere, but the R, RP, Z6 and Z7 are all available on Amazon, so does show the strength of the Sony range in sales.

Yup. Sony must be selling a few A6000's for it to take multiple places in the rankings.

Yup. Sony must be selling a few A6000's for it to take multiple places in the rankings.

I do wonder which would be top if they instead combined the different options - as is often the case with stats, how you present them can change the perception of what they mean.

I really don't see why you'd want to change from Sony to Nikon as from a quality of the kit standpoint it would seem to be a backward step. Maybe even only a slightly backward step but maybe at best not improving on what you have. I can really only understand switching to Nikon if you're a very hard core Nikon fan and simply must have one or if there's some handling or menu foible that's driving this... or maybe just GAS, pure and simple?

One thing I sometimes do when I think I'm limited by kit in some way is look at what other people are doing with the same kit and I usually change my mind and decide the problem and limitation isn't the kit, it's me :D

Just on this forum looking at the Nikon and Sony threads I think the best pictures by far are in this thread. I suppose that doesn't tell you too much about the kit, all it really tells you is that some people who are good at all this use Sony kit :D but at least it shows you what's possible with the Sony kit.

To be honest I'm struggling to see any compelling reason for anyone to switch from Sony to Nikon or Canon mirrorless at the moment. It's up to you, but I do hope you give this careful thought before going through the whole process of switching gear again as you might find yourself wondering why you bothered.

Just my 2p Andrew :D I hope you give it careful thought.
I’m not sure I agree with some of this tbh, especially the “quality” comment. The build quality of the Z’s is amongst the best I’ve come across, and weather sealing etc is supposedly a class about the A7’s. Also, in terms of IQ the new Nikon S lenses are right up there too, the 24-70mm f4 for example has blown me away in terms of sharpness and may actually be the sharpest lens I’ve used wide open. So it’s not a backwards step in terms of quality (y)

Also, I’ve seen superb images on just about every thread, and also some not so great images on just about every thread, so it’s mainly down to the tog, as you already know.

Which brings me onto the bit I agree with, when we’re comparing high end kit you can swap from Sony to Nikon to Canon to Fuji to Leica etc etc and it’ll make pretty much no difference to your own images.

I think whilst there are some that invest in more gear in the hope it’ll make them better, the regulars on here are are aware of this and either admit they suffer from GAS, or come up with obscure excuses to convince themselves there’s a reason to change when of course it is just GAS again ;)

I was talking about image quility where some would argue that Sony have a lead or maybe there's nothing in it but either way maybe not enough to justify a system change. While I'm here I haven't read too many reports of A7's falling apart but some Nikon's seem to have peeling issues. Anyway, I wouldn't have build quality on my list of things to worry about with either make.

I just don't see any real reason to change from Sony to either Nikon or Canon. Anyone wy too invested in dslr lenses possible hasn't bought into Sony so I didn't include that as a factor.

In Andrew's place I wouldn't switch as I see no point. Each to his own though and Andrew, if you do swap systems I hope ypu'll come back to this thread and tell us all how you get on.

Last edited:
I was talking about image quility where some would argue that Sony have a lead or maybe there's nothing in it but either way maybe not enough to justify a system change. While I'm here I haven't read too many reports of A7's falling apart but some Nikon's seem to have peeling issues. Anyway, I wouldn't have build quality on my list of things to worry about with either make.

I just don't see any real reason to change from Sony to either Nikon or Canon. Anyone wy too invested in dslr lenses possible hasn't bought into Sony so I didn't include that as a factor.

In Andrew's place I wouldn't switch as I see no point. Each to his own though and Andrew, if you do swap systems I hope ypu'll come back to this thread and tell us all how you get on.
They all have good enough IQ for anyone tbh, it’s just preference. My preference is for Nikon as I don’t have to tweak colours and I prefer the Auto WB, but if you needed/wanted ultimate iso handling then you’d be swayed towards Sony.
Both are cracking cameras though, we’re lucky to have any of them.

I was going to take a picture of the light on the leaves but Mrs WW decided to photobomb so I focused on her instead :D

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 at f1.4.

0OA0yPY.jpg

Just flowers, f11.

I9SyzMF.jpg

Mp1q62d.jpg

100%.

dz7q9TM.jpg

Taking the lens hood off the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 makes it just that little bit more compact but it feels surprisingly more compact.

And a PC for any single guys :D
Whenever we go to this place which is only 5 minutes walk from home if I stop to take pictures and Mrw WW walks on it's amazing how many times women walking dogs stop to talk :D I guess the nearby new housing estate has attracted a few forward single women :D

I also had a chat with a guy taking pictures which he showed me... he only ever takes pictures of this place and they were all taken with his phone. It's the future I tell you... :D

Last edited:
Looks good, but $200 overpriced to compete with the 50 f1.8 unless it's special. OTOH if it's designed to attack the 55 f1.8 then that's more reasonable, but it's a little too wide for that.

Back