The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Wait what? I can apply with 2x a73 and a few GM lenses?

I applied with 4 x A7III's and 4 qualifying Lenses. Had to jump through a few hoops though not sure if that is normal or not. Had to send receipts for the equipment and customer invoices. Then had to wait while the "Sony Jury" checked my work etc. Was way more complicated than it needed too be. Not sure if this was due to be not having a tier 1 camera or not.

I applied with 4 x A7III's and 4 qualifying Lenses. Had to jump through a few hoops though not sure if that is normal or not. Had to send receipts for the equipment and customer invoices. Then had to wait while the "Sony Jury" checked my work etc. Was way more complicated than it needed too be. Not sure if this was due to be not having a tier 1 camera or not.

I have 5 lenses now and I think at least 4 qualify, 1 being grey.

I am going to check it out though, thanks.

Canon is way easy, just serial numbers to validate and off you go.

I have 5 lenses now and I think at least 4 qualify, 1 being grey.

I am going to check it out though, thanks.

Canon is way easy, just serial numbers to validate and off you go.

When I registered for Nikon's all I had to do was fill in a form that asked for stuff like my website.

From memory with Sony you have to have 1 x tier 1 body (although I didn't) , 1 x tier 2 and 3 qualifying lenses, none of it can be grey and they will ask for a copy of the receipts for each item. They will also ask for some recent customer invoices.

Once that is all verified all your info gets sent to the Sony jury (what a load of nonsense) before you hear back with a yes or no.

When I registered for Nikon's all I had to do was fill in a form that asked for stuff like my website.

From memory with Sony you have to have 1 x tier 1 body (although I didn't) , 1 x tier 2 and 3 qualifying lenses, none of it can be grey and they will ask for a copy of the receipts for each item. They will also ask for some recent customer invoices.

Once that is all verified all your info gets sent to the Sony jury (what a load of nonsense) before you hear back with a yes or no.

Invoices that I write?

I got the receipts for UK bought lenses, although 1 of them is off the forum though, i have a photocopy of his receipt...

24GM - yes
35 Zeiss - yes
50 Zeiss - bought used from ffords - have receipt
85 GM - Used from forum
100G - Grey

Invoices that I write?

I got the receipts for UK bought lenses, although 1 of them is off the forum though, i have a photocopy of his receipt...

24GM - yes
35 Zeiss - yes
50 Zeiss - bought used from ffords - have receipt
85 GM - Used from forum
100G - Grey

Yeah they will want receipts/invoices you have sent to customers, from memory they ask for 3 from within the last few months. You can blank out the customers details if you want.

They won't accept the grey lens although they will accept used if you have a receipt, you will need a receipt for each item you submit to qualify. Might be worth chancing your arm.

Last edited:
A few stonking deals on Amazon Warehouse that have come and gone (20% off at the moment). A couple of Sony primes (35mm 1.4 and 50mm 1.4) were comfortably cheaper than I've ever seen them.

Didn't spot anything that the discount applied to but someone is listing Gitzo GT1555T kits for £462, might be a con but worth a punt...

I just picked up an a7ii with 20-70 kit lens brand new on Amazon for £1039 which should also qualify for £300 cashback from Sony. I’m currently running 2 A77’s and felt this was a relatively inexpensive way into full frame. I did see the two a7ii on Amazon warehouse for £800ish and thought taking a chance on the cashback but to save £100 versus a brand new camera it didn’t seem worth the risk.

I bet the arse will fall out of the price of these now after Sony announce some new products on the 17th!

I was at Duxford on Saturday for flying legends. I took along a camera but didn’t take that many as I was with the wife and wanted to watch the aircraft rather than see them from behind the camera.

Below is Sally B taken with the A7R3 and 100-400. This pass showed the ‘Memphis Belle’ side of the B17. It was quite atmospheric with the Hotsie Totsies providing backing music.

02230CED-8F69-4659-8AC7-204FACA8FA8C.jpeg

This was one of the few images I got sharp. I was trying to pan at 1/200 at 400mm to get the propeller blur. Turns out that’s a much harder skill than I first thought!

Last edited:
I just picked up an a7ii with 20-70 kit lens brand new on Amazon for £1039 which should also qualify for £300 cashback from Sony. I’m currently running 2 A77’s and felt this was a relatively inexpensive way into full frame. I did see the two a7ii on Amazon warehouse for £800ish and thought taking a chance on the cashback but to save £100 versus a brand new camera it didn’t seem worth the risk.

I bet the arse will fall out of the price of these now after Sony announce some new products on the 17th!

Just be careful with Sony cash back they will only let each individual make 3 claims in total. At first I thought this meant during each promotional period but apparently that’s not the case. It’s 3 claims in your lifetime.

Just be careful with Sony cash back they will only let each individual make 3 claims in total. At first I thought this meant during each promotional period but apparently that’s not the case. It’s 3 claims in your lifetime.
That’s just ridiculous limiting number of cashbacks. It will just push even more people down the grey route.

Use a family member's details, your partner's?

Thanks for the heads up. This would be my second claim, got cashback previously on a 50mm lens about 5 years ago. It’s also very poor that they would penalise a customer for showing repeated loyalty to buying from them, it doesn’t make any sense. Granted you would possibility expect a limit of one or two claims per item to stop bulk buying and resell

Thanks for the heads up. This would be my second claim, got cashback previously on a 50mm lens about 5 years ago. It’s also very poor that they would penalise a customer for showing repeated loyalty to buying from them, it doesn’t make any sense. Granted you would possibility expect a limit of one or two claims per item to stop bulk buying and resell

Yeah it surprised me. Seen a guy doing his nut about it on Facebook the other day after getting a claim rejected for having claimed previously 2 years ago.

On a side note, do you use any of the adapters to mount the Apc (a-mount) lens’ to the a7? I have a few lens it would like to use until I can source the funds for the full frame ones. There some from £59.99 through £299 but it seems a bit of a minefield!

nice way to treat loyal, returning customers.

You mean the 28-70mm f3.5-5.6? If that's the lens you've got... I think it's a pretty good kit lens, smallish, lightish and optically good for the type.

Hope you like your new kit :D

Last edited:
I'm shocked at that cash back limit. What a bunch of utter rotters :mad:

Just read the T&C which states:
"14. A maximum of 3 claims can be made by one consumer and only one claim per product. There is no limit on the number of products that can be included within an individual claim (subject to section 7), but each separate sales transaction must be submitted as a separate claim."

Section 7 enforces having a MySony account.

So to get around this just open a new MySony account. Bit of a pain but not end of the world.

Reference:
https://campaign.odw.sony-europe.co...hback_Terms_and_Conditions_Summer_2018_UK.pdf

Looks like tomorrow for a new emount camera announcement. If the leak is accurate, it's something above the a7iii.

Yes that’s the lens, a typo on my part! Some of the kit lens these days are pretty good, will give it a test tomorrow and see how it shapes up.

Yes that’s the lens, a typo on my part! Some of the kit lens these days are pretty good, will give it a test tomorrow and see how it shapes up.

It seems to take a slagging on forums from time to time but IMO it's actually quite good for a cheapo variable aperture standard range zoom.

Hope you like it.

Well I couldn't resist the nifty fifty from Amazon.......

Hopefully the AF has improved via the latest updates as most people that moan about the lens is regarding the AF and not the image quality. We'll see.

I keep thinking back to the 50mm macro I had which was just awful and completely unusable for me on my A7 but I do think that these slower focusing and hunting lenses may perform better on the later bodies.

Looks like tomorrow for a new emount camera announcement. If the leak is accurate, it's something above the a7iii.

The rumour site has just updated saying that one of the new cameras that will be launched today is the A7R IV.

The rumour site has just updated saying that one of the new cameras that will be launched today is the A7R IV.

the current cameras are so far ahead of the competition i don't know why they even need to release anything for now (other than an a7s update)

the current cameras are so far ahead of the competition i don't know why they even need to release anything for now (other than an a7s update)
Just to s*** on others?

In all seriousness the current cameras do lack some knobs like touchscreen, higher Res EVF, better designed grip etc... Where the competition had gained upper hand

Last edited:
Back