The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The admin on the rumour site is loving the A7RIV rumour. :LOL:

Sell your A7RIII right now. :p

Capture.JPG

LA-EA4 works OK, although no better than their standard DSLR focussing (which is pretty good). Manual adapters are a bit sucky TBH, and I find the much vaunted focus peaking less useful than the focus assist lamp in a Nikon viewfinder when working manually because it's lighting up a lot of stuff that's a long way either side the focal plane.

I find peaking quite good at wide apertures but as you've found when stopped down everything peaks so it's not really accurate at all. One solution could be to focus at a wider aperture and stop down to shoot. For static stuff I tend to use the magnified view and for stuff like Mrs WW throwing a snowball or jumping in the air I use zone. Could of course experiment with altering the peaking level to see if that helps. I think I have it on its highest setting.

Tell you what, Samsung af is a damn site better than 50 f1.8 af. I may try a little more testing later, but right now colour me unimpressed - in normal conditions my old D610 was quite a bit better, and using f4 this is quite hunty.

Well if the A7RIV rumour is correct it's taken my by surprise but I will be ordering one if...

The current A7RIII etc is good but there are a few things that ruin it for me and I just don't like using them. The main things being the EVF, Rear Screen, Focus Point colour and not the best weather sealing.

If those things are addressed then I will place a pre-order straight away and I would be happy to switch over fully from my Nikon gear which at the moment I can't. I'd probably order a new A9 too if they surprise us with that too!

Actually quite excited to see what they have, could be perfect time for my next trip to Iceland :)

I think it's daft to hobble lenses with this cheapo crappy focusing system as they must be putting people off. I'd have kept the 50mm macro if the focusing was even half way decent. I suppose only Sony know if the revenue and sales numbers truly stack up.

I think it's daft to hobble lenses with this cheapo crappy focusing system as they must be putting people off. I'd have kept the 50mm macro if the focusing was even half way decent. I suppose only Sony know if the revenue and sales numbers truly stack up.

Agreed, but I also think they recognise a 'nifty fifty' is seen as a key part of a line-up. Usually though it's a super performer for the money, rather than a lame duck. The bit I don't get is why, if the controlling electronics are the same in the body, it has to hunt instead of snap into focus like the 24-105? Eye AF was really hit & miss too, and there's no reason for that at all - in fact that's pretty much the decider, because if it can't eye-AF well then I might was well use my A mount Sony 50 1.5 on the LA-EA4 and save some money.

Agreed, but I also think they recognise a 'nifty fifty' is seen as a key part of a line-up. Usually though it's a super performer for the money, rather than a lame duck. The bit I don't get is why, if the controlling electronics are the same in the body, it has to hunt instead of snap into focus like the 24-105? Eye AF was really hit & miss too, and there's no reason for that at all - in fact that's pretty much the decider, because if it can't eye-AF well then I might was well use my A mount Sony 50 1.5 on the LA-EA4 and save some money.

I don't know which lenses have these focus issues apart from the 50mm macro and f1.8 but hopefully Sony wont use this system again... and maybe after a length of time that's long enough not to lose them too much face they'll introduce mk2's with decent focusing.

Japanese companies (IMO) often cock up and then don't want to admit it and lose face so maybe in time we'll have better mk2 budget options even if that means them not being quite so budget. But maybe not...

Tell you what, Samsung af is a damn site better than 50 f1.8 af. I may try a little more testing later, but right now colour me unimpressed - in normal conditions my old D610 was quite a bit better, and using f4 this is quite hunty.

I'm not really getting on with mine either. I don't feel any love for it at all!

Tempted by the Samyang 45mm now the prices are starting to come down.

Or just get another 35mm 2.8 Samyang.

I usually use my 70-200 all the time but want something small just in case.

I'm not really getting on with mine either. I don't feel any love for it at all!

The 35 f2.8 is nice, but I really need something faster and longer for people pictures and isolating things. An 85 would be better.

I've started to like the look of the Sigma 45mm f2.8.

61MP..... YEAHHHHHH

Okay changed my mind I am going all in on a A7RIV. :p

Doesn't look much different to me, I hope the 8K video isn't the main selling point, that would be nice but I really hope they have improved the important stuff like EVF and weather sealing etc.

That was fake news it isn't 8k and the rumour site have removed that now.

Yup. For whatever reason that page has gone. Maybe it wasn't exciting enough.

Watching the press conference now. These guys are dull as dish water! Really corporate

Back