The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Nah, F1.2 FTW! :D

The "fully" native sigma ART lenses work very for video too. They are all sharp wide open. They also have GM lenses like economics.
There isn't much point in buying the CZ anymore apart from the tiny weight savings.

The 1.4 Art isn't great for video CAF. Lol, I told you the CZ wasn't worth it when I bought all 3 ages ago.

Last edited:
On what I've seen so far I wont be worrying too much about ca. Life is short.

Maybe he wants to watch Loose Women while jogging round the block.

I’ve recently trying decide whether to change my lens line-up, currently the only zooms I have are the 16-35 f4 and the 100-400 GM, other than that I have a 35mm Art (last of my Canon lenses), the 55mm f1.8 and the 85mm f1.8. I have been contemplating changing my primes for the Tamron 28-75, however having spent the last couple of days with the 55mm I’m now not sure as I’d forgotten how much fun this lens could be along with the “pop” that it can give, now I’m thinking of getting rid of the Sigma and 85mm as I can always put the 55mm in apsc for 85mm ish (especially when I add the 60mp Riv)

9EDC4C75-B9A3-4F00-97DC-BD3EF48EDD6C.jpeg52C35C1D-2DD0-4BDE-909A-B90593AE570E.jpegBB92F4F6-0CDA-44D1-BE54-5AD71FD2911C.jpeg

I’ve recently trying decide whether to change my lens line-up, currently the only zooms I have are the 16-35 f4 and the 100-400 GM, other than that I have a 35mm Art (last of my Canon lenses), the 55mm f1.8 and the 85mm f1.8. I have been contemplating changing my primes for the Tamron 28-75, however having spent the last couple of days with the 55mm I’m now not sure as I’d forgotten how much fun this lens could be along with the “pop” that it can give, now I’m thinking of getting rid of the Sigma and 85mm as I can always put the 55mm in apsc for 85mm ish (especially when I add the 60mp Riv)

The advantages of primes include the wider aperture and possibly size and weight too but with zooms you get flexibility at the possible expense of size. If you don't use f1.x-2.8 so often and mostly use f2.8+ and value the flexibility of zooms then they maybe make a lot of sense.

I don't know if I could ever sell my 55mm f1.8 though. It'd take a compact and as good 50mm f1.8 to get me to swap.

The advantages of primes include the wider aperture and possibly size and weight too but with zooms you get flexibility at the possible expense of size. If you don't use f1.x-2.8 so often and mostly use f2.8+ and value the flexibility of zooms then they maybe make a lot of sense.

I don't know if I could ever sell my 55mm f1.8 though. It'd take a compact and as good 50mm f1.8 to get me to swap.
I agree about the flexibility. When I switched to Sony, one of the reasons was the size/weight savings and for that reason I decided to concentrate on prime lenses. Since taking that step, I have found that I have enjoyed the restrictions that the fixed focal length created, not endlessly tweaking the zoom ring to find the “perfect shot”. With the prime I find I spend more time trying to work on getting the shot right and tweaking the composition in post by cropping. This is why I love the high MP “R” series, not because of wanting to print huge, but because of the flexibility to crop.

Does anyone else prefer to use primes and crop as required rather than using zoom lenses?

Last edited:
I agree about the flexibility. When I switched to Sony, one of the reasons was the size/weight savings and for that reason I decided to concentrate on prime lenses, since taking that step, I have found that I habe enjoyed the restrictions that the fixed focal length created, not endlessly tweaking the zoom ring to find the “perfect shot”. With the prime I find I spend more time trying to work on getting the shot right and tweaking the composition in post by cropping. This is why I love the high MP “R” series, not because of wanting to print huge, but because of the flexibility to crop.

Does anyone else prefer to use primes and crop as required rather than using zoom lenses?

I prefer prime and then move into position and get the framing right in camera.

Post Cropping is a last resort, not a process.

I enjoy primes for the reasons that it makes me think, it makes me make the most of any given situation, work harder. Zooms makes me lazy.

I agree about the flexibility. When I switched to Sony, one of the reasons was the size/weight savings and for that reason I decided to concentrate on prime lenses. Since taking that step, I have found that I have enjoyed the restrictions that the fixed focal length created, not endlessly tweaking the zoom ring to find the “perfect shot”. With the prime I find I spend more time trying to work on getting the shot right and tweaking the composition in post by cropping. This is why I love the high MP “R” series, not because of wanting to print huge, but because of the flexibility to crop.

I try not to crop but sometimes you just can't frame the shot perfectly if only for the time it could take and of course with todays high mp cameras you can crop like mad and still end up with a picture which can fill a screen or be printed to a good size, A4? For flower and other little thing pictures I often crop up to 100% and the results are fine for me for on screen viewing.

I mostly use primes but I do think that zooms are much more flexible and when using them I try to use them as a bag full of primes, as in positioning myself for the framing and perspective I want and fine tuning the framing with the zoom rather than standing in one place and zooming in and out regardless of perspective.

I prefer prime and then move into position and get the framing right in camera.

Post Cropping is a last resort, not a process.

I enjoy primes for the reasons that it makes me think, it makes me make the most of any given situation, work harder. Zooms makes me lazy.
You phrased it better than me :) using crop for those occasions where it isn’t possible to be stood in the right place (ie physical restrictions of surroundings like a wall/cliff etc)

Last edited:
you mean 3rd party telezoom? because there are already few 3rd party zooms ;)

I bet one of those small lenses is a 35mm f1.8 :D

Hmmm.

I don't think I have quite enough 35mm lenses so if they do make one I'll give it a long hard look.

Guys, my A9 takes a long time (showing processing message on the back of LCD screen) after I took a long exposure shot in bulb mode. At one time I took 20mins exposure and the processing message showing for a long time until I turn off and turn back on again.

Does anyone suffer this as well?

Thanks.

as mentioned above that's long exposure noise reduction (LENR).

The way LENR works is by taking a reference "black" frame with the shutter closed of an equally long exposure and subtracting it to remove the long exposure noise and/or hot pixels. This can be turned off (one of the items I have in "My menu" for quick access but don't remember where exactly it is in the long menus).

So your long exposure with take twice as long with LENR turned on but will also be cleaner.

Last edited:

I've not shot regularly with a zoom for many many years..... And when I did it was 17-40L so that's pre 2013/14.

I find now that I can almost compose at 40mm with my eyes before looking through the camera!

That would be great, I'll try and sell the Sigma locally and let you know ASAP.

I have got my 24GM. Haven't tested it properly yet but looks good.
So I will cancel the pre-order unless you or someone else wants it.

The amazon ETA is 13th September and I believe I can still change the delivery address (so it'll be free delivery).

Hi all,
Having changed from Nikon FX to the Sony A7III, I'm now looking for a replacement for my old Nikon 16mm f/2.8 fisheye lens, it's not a lens I use much but in certain situations there top notch.

What are my options now I'm with Sony?

Hi all,
Having changed from Nikon FX to the Sony A7III, I'm now looking for a replacement for my old Nikon 16mm f/2.8 fisheye lens, it's not a lens I use much but in certain situations there top notch.

What are my options now I'm with Sony?

not a lot unfortunately. The only native option is FE28+fisheye adapter which gives 16mm f3.5 fisheye. But this setup is also (unnecessarily) huge.
You can adapt your nikon fisheye if you still have it. I personally used to adapt the Olympus OM 16mm f3.5 fisheye because it was small.

If the Nikon 16mm f2.8 lens has an aperture ring it could be used via a cheap dumb adapter. There's no AF of course with a dumb adapter.

as mentioned above that's long exposure noise reduction (LENR).

The way LENR works is by taking a reference "black" frame with the shutter closed of an equally long exposure and subtracting it to remove the long exposure noise and/or hot pixels. This can be turned off (one of the items I have in "My menu" for quick access but don't remember where exactly it is in the long menus).

So your long exposure with take twice as long with LENR turned on but will also be cleaner.

I've checked my settings on the LENR it has always been turned off... :rolleyes:

Wow, you're quick in getting that 24GM :p

I've checked my settings on the LENR it has always been turned off... :rolleyes:

Wow, you're quick in getting that 24GM :p

If you recently updated the firmware to v5 I believe it resets everything to defaults which is on for LENR.

Well I found a decent deal so I went with it :D

not a lot unfortunately. The only native option is FE28+fisheye adapter which gives 16mm f3.5 fisheye. But this setup is also (unnecessarily) huge.
You can adapt your nikon fisheye if you still have it. I personally used to adapt the Olympus OM 16mm f3.5 fisheye because it was small.

There is also a Samyang 12mm fisheye for FE.

If you recently updated the firmware to v5 I believe it resets everything to defaults which is on for LENR.

Well I found a decent deal so I went with it :D

I've updated to V5 before even start using the camera months ago. Maybe I should give it another LE a try, double check the LENR turned off... if it does again, I'll be a bit disappointed :(

Now I wonder if the A7R III/IV will have the same issue.

Ha ha ha, nice one, I have Samyang 24mm 1.4 so I'm not having GAS !!

Does anyone know a picture upload site that Mrs WW can use on her tablet and phone?

At the mo everything is on her tablet and phone but they're getting cluttered now so she wants a web based site.

I use IMGUR on my pc and I set one up for her but on her tablet via the ap it's an absolute pile of half working crap so we need something else. She wants to upload a lot of pictures and be able to download them and also send them to friends and family.

Back